“Wow!”

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Borneo
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I did not stay here for my trip, but instead discovered it while wandering the city and really WISH I was staying here. Instead of staying though, we have just spent hours and hours in the amazing lobby/café/bar area, enjoying the ambience and the delicious food and beverages. Try it!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
theranee, General Manager at The Ranee Boutique Suites, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Visitors

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

Although you did not stay with us, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel nevertheless.

We look forward to seeing you as our guests the next time you visit Kuching.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in the Renee for two night at the start of our Borneo trip. The hotel is first class, has character, is central and staff are very helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were the best we had throughout the trip. If you stay try the Malaysian dishes on the menu.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

We are proud that we have lived up to guests expectations and are pleased to say that we have recently been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were quite impressed by the quality and detail of the finishing throughout the hotel.
The location is average, among a lot of very local shops. The rooms lack a view, just a slightly noisy street at the front or a view at other buildings at the back.

For better location you can consider Pullman (best views to wake up to.....uninterrupted view over the city as well as the cloudy mountains far away) where we stayed as well, and which has very comfortable and very spacious rooms. It also has a great pool, which the Ranee does not have.

The Hilton, where we did not stay, also commands a great view over the river albeit not as nice as the Pullman.

In terms of boutique quality Ranee is certainly the only place in town that lives up to its name, and is fairly fresh and recent. The downsides are lack of view, and no pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldtravellerLDN

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

We are sorry to hear that you are not very impressed with the view and our location.

Our hotel is located in the heart of town, along a busy main road. We are actually ideally located with major tourist attractions around us, amongst other things.

We could not possibly build a pool for our hotel as it is rebuilt from two intermediate 19th Century shophouses that is about 3 storeys tall and we have only 24 rooms.

Thus, we do not have the perfect view although we do have some rooms that still command a great view across the river.

Nonetheless, we are glad you enjoyed all other aspects of the hotel and hope to see you here when you next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked a standard suite and was given a room on level 2 facing the river as well as the main road. The room is spacious and clean. When I first checked in, the air-con didn't quite work because after almost half an hour, it still didn't cool the room so I asked for help at the front desk. The situation was rectified immediately and efficiently.

There is a colonial and resort feel to the entire environment, which makes it a perfect place for relaxation. The food at the restaurant was good. I had breakfast daily at the restaurant and there was a small but good selection in the breakfast menu. You get about six choices, including both local and western dishes.

The bathroom was excellent and I really enjoyed the amenities provided, even though I didn't use everything. I thought there were many thoughtful additions and touches in the room which many mainstream hotels don't necessarily provide. For example, this is the first accommodation I've stayed in where built-in international adapters were provided.

The service was impeccable all around but the afternoon/evening shift young receptionist at the front desk needs to take a hospitality 101 course. I asked if the hotel has printing services as I needed to print out my boarding pass. She said the hotel doesn't have that (fair enough) but she wasn't able to help me further. When I asked if there is an Internet cafe nearby where I could go to get my print job done, she wasn't able to help me with that either or point me to someone who could help. Finally, she suggested that I email my boarding pass to the hotel's email address so that she could help me print it out, so I did. It wasn't until she handed me the printout till she declared that it cost me RM0.50. The cost of the printout didn't bother me as much as her attitude. I feel that it is only good courtesy to inform the guest that a cost would be incurred before the proceeding with the procedure.

The next afternoon, when I asked if she could help me call a tour agency located in Penang so that I could find out about my pick-up time for my departure, she again looked bothered by my request. It was the lady at the tour desk who jumped to my aid immediately and with a smile too.

I'd have to say that my stay at The Ranee would have been a 100% enjoyable one were it not for these two trivial but unpleasant encounters.

Nonetheless, I would still come back to The Ranee and highly recommend this if you want a personable and cosy stay.

Room Tip: At night, you might a motorbike or two zooming by so if that bothers you, request for a room that do...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

Firstly the aircon problem. Secondly, the staff concerned has been counselled with regard to her attitude and behaviour. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings on our side, which unfortunately do happen sometimes.

Otherwise, we are glad to hear that your stay with us had been enjoyable and we hope to see you back at our hotel in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards
Whangamata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had an executive room that looked out on the street and across the river to the parliament building, a very pleasant view. Despite being on the Main Bazaar there was no problem with noise at night (and I am a light sleeper).
The location is excellent, close to shops, the historic sights, eateries of all types and ideal for walking along the waterfront, a highlight of our stay.
The room was spacious and comfortable and the staff were very helpful and friendly. A delightful place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
theranee, General Manager at The Ranee Boutique Suites, responded to this review, 6 June 2014

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

We are very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay in our Executive Suite which, indeed, is an exclusive and spacious suite. Our windows are double glazed to make your stay more comfortable.

Hope to see you back in Kuching in the near future.

Bungay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in this hotel.
The bedroom was spacious, beds very comfortable, tasteful decoration and furniture, lovely bathroom with excellent shower and separate bath.
The room was at the back of the hotel so the view from the balcony was not as beautiful as it could have been but may improve in the future.
The service was good, and traditional breakfast was very good. We also liked the small cafe beside the Ranee which was part of it. We loved the decor of the lobby and restaurant.
the food could have been slightly more exciting in the restaurant so we ate out several evenings at other places. It was a lovely base for our stay in Kuching, with very helpful staff as well. the proximity of all the important historical sights and museums and the river with magnificent parliament building on the other side, the very nice riverside walk and interesting stalls and shops all round made it a delightful place to stay. I would love to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are likely to be quieter but less interesting view. the larger suites are probably...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

We are very proud to hear that you have enjoyed everything about the hotel, the surroundings and our staff. Such feedbacks make our staff happy and encourage them to excel in their service.

Look forward to having you back as our guests in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in kuching for 5 yrs about 7 years ago. Went for a visit again when accompany my bf to attend a course in kuching. Personally like to stay in boutique hotel due to the unique characteristics of different hotels. Chose this hotel due to its strategic location to various food hotspot, near to waterfront,hotel design and its concept in participating in artwork activities and charity. I would hv to say that the stay is fairly comfortable. My room is one of the two with balcony open into the aisle. Room is very spacious esp the bathroom with a large deep soaking bath tub . Breakfast is served in set. However choices are not that many, it maybe a drawback for those who want to stay more than 5 days. U can always take some snack at cafe trio who provide nice gelato , specifically recommend tuak gelato , yummy. The greentea cheesecake is delicious as well. I have to complement the hotel staffs who are friendly and helpful. I think this is part of the selling point of boutique hotel .

• Stayed May 2014

Warmest Greetings from the Ranee Boutique Suites in Kuching!

We are extremely glad to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

With regard to the breakfast sets, we have really tried our best for selection, with 6 choices of Mains for breakfast: 3 Western and 3 typically local breakfast.

Hope to welcome you back to our hotel next you visit Kuching!