“Lovely miss and hit”
Review of Kuching Kayaking

Kuching Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Kuching Kayak is located in the beautiful city of Kuching in the “Land of Rivers”, Sarawak, Malaysia. Run and operated by Francis Ho, an architect by profession, who as an avid and passionate kayaker is sharing the beauty, joys and pleasures he has discovered paddling on these beautiful waters.So if you are thinking of a Sarawak trip and you want to experience Sarawak in your travels in Borneo - this is the authentic totally non-touristy experience thing to do when you are in Kuching. See our rain forests and jungles - from the perspective of the river.
Boulder, Colorado
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Lovely miss and hit”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We started our day off hoping to spot an orangutan at the semmengog reserve but because of an unexpected climate shift there was an additional fruit season and therefore we did not see any orangutans as they were not interested to be fed by humans. Despite this disappointment we went on to have a lovely day with James and Beko, our guides. The river was lovely, the food was great at lunch and especially the fresh picked pineapple was a delight will never forget! We learned a great deal about Borneo through these very knowledgeable sweet men. Highly recommended.
Francis also was very helpful, answered his emails quickly and also funny!

Kuala Lumpur
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Looking forward to another adventure!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'd signed up for the Rainforest Kayaking & Orang Utan package & was punctually picked up from my hotel by James at 8.00am. Our first stop was at the Semenggoh Wildlife Centre, but I won't go into details about my visit here & will write a seperate review about it. Anyway, after finishing off at Semenggoh at about 9.30am, James & I headed off to Kampung Semadang, about a half an hour's drive away, to pick up Beko, the guide for kayaking journey, and the kayaks too.

We met Beko at & after a quick introduction, Beko & James promptly loaded some kayaks onto the van & we were off for another 20-minute drive to Kampung Bengoh, the starting point of this kayaking adventure!

Since I had never kayaked before, I had requested double kayak with Beko.. just in case! The kayak was brought to the river, our stuff loaded into it, life jacket on in less than 15 minutes & we waved goodbye to James as Beko & I set off on our journey! How exciting!

The view was stunning &, according to Beko, I was very lucky that it had rained quite heavily the day before meaning that the water in the river was at good level & the current was strong enough to push up along. As such, I didn't have to paddle as hard & in many stretches we could simply just drift along & I had great opportunities to snap some photos. For most parts, though the current is strong enough to push you along, the river is rather calm & though you may encounter some Class 1 (mild) rapids, they're nothing to be overly concerned about.

After about a third of the overall journey, we stopped for lunch at Kampung Danu. Here, we met James again who had prepared a little picnic feast comprising of a variety of noodles, rice, local fruits, including some freshly cut pineapple (which was like the sweetest ever!) & drinks. After lunch, you can opt to take a stroll around the village or jump right back into the kayak & be on your way. Eager to get back into the water, I opted for the latter & we were on our journey again in no time!

The remaining two thirds of the journey was every bit as exciting as the first, if not more, as you will encounter all these gorgeous limestone formations, even paddle under some of them. There are also many sandbanks along the river where you can stop to have a dip in the cool river & explore the surroundings.

Under Beko's supervision, I'd learnt to paddle somewhat efficiently & Beko reckons that I'm ready for a single kayak should I take on another kayak adventure - believe me, I would love to come back! It's really hard to describe what you see but the serenity & beauty of the forest & the river coupled by the sense of adventure.. it was a great feeling! Plus, Beko, who hails from the local Bidayuh tribe & has had vast experience & knowledge of the river & area, was very informative & made good conversation.

The journey will end back at Kampung Semadang & from here it'll take you about an hour to get back into the city, which means you'll be back at wherever you're staying by about 5.00pm at latest - a day well spent if you ask me!

In a nutshell, I felt well taken care of by both James & Beko. It doesn't matter if you've never kayaked before, I hadn't, but I believe you're in good hands. I felt safe & my wellbeing taken care of by these 2 gentlemen. Still, you'll have to do your bit in taking care of yourself & I would highly recommend that you bring along your sunscreen, insect repellent, a hat/cap, a good waterproof bag to store your stuff & a towel plus change of clothes as you will get wet, you will be tempted to take a dip in the river & it may rain, in the case of the latter, a raincoat may also be handy. Don't have to worry about drinking water though - James is efficient in making sure you're well hydrated & that you have a bottle water handy at all times! So, if you enjoy the outdoors & for those who've never kayaked but are game to try something different, do take on this adventure!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank GPenaflorida
London, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Lovely relaxing day out in the rainforest”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Three of us took the Rainforest Kayaking & Orangutan visit yesterday. We had a great time - firstly went & saw the orangutans at the reserve. While they're not completely wild, you do get to see them up incredibly close! The only downside of this part of the trip is that you're with a group of approx 100 other people going into the viewing areas - they run a feeding schedule to get the orangs up close & personal while the visitors are there. It felt a little too 'touristy' for my taste, but you do get some great photo ops, and I think one of the things that has to be done while in Borneo, at least to tick the box :)

The late morning / afternoon was spent kayaking through beautiful rainforest. We were fortunate enough to be the only visitors on our trip that day, and all agreed that probably added to how much we enjoyed it. Do be aware that you maybe mixed in with other groups when you book. Our guide was wonderful - he had amazing local knowledge, was a brilliant storyteller and was obviously immensely proud of the area & of his village. Our kayaking was at a fairly sedate pace, and overall the trip was just lovely & relaxing. We kayaked for about 3 hours, winding slowly downriver. There were frequent enough rest stops that you don't get to tired (though it is a fairly long trip, so I would think a basic level of fitness is needed to get through). The kayaking was definitely my favourite bit of the trip - we were able to take it at our own pace, scramble up waterfalls & rock formations and just enjoy our day. It didn't have the tourist trap feeling of being dragged around in a tour group at all.

Overall we had a great day & I'd highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for an active, yet relaxing, day out in nature!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jacki963
london
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great guides and a fun trip”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The guides on our trip were really friendly and knowledgeable. We had a great time although the river is really tame so if you are after a more adventurous trip the Rainforest Kayak trip isn't going to cut it! Lunch was very tasty. :)

Visited April 2014
Tamworth, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Highlight of our 3 week trip”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited KL/Borneo/Langkawi/Dubai for our honeymoon and amongst the many wonderful things we did over the 3 weeks our day kayaking was definitely one of the most memorable highlights. We absolutely loved it. Firstly, we got very lucky as the day we took the trip we were the only ones booked with this company and the other companies had no trips that day so it was literally me, my husband and our guide who was wonderful. I think we saw a couple of villagers all day. The rest of the time was sepnt kayaking down the river admiring the amazing views. We did not need to take our camera either as our guide took photos with his waterproof camera. I am usually very snap happy and was worried that our guide would only take a few but he took 99 excellent pfotos of both us kayaking and the scenery so I was so grateful. These were uploaded to facebook so there is no extra charge. We had a simple lunch which we both enjoyed. Our guide and driver were both fantastic. Very knowledgable and friendly. Would highly recommend this trip.

Visited November 2013