“Fabulous day trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kuching Kayaking

Kuching Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Kuching Kayak is located in the beautiful city of Kuching in the “Land of Rivers”, Sarawak, Malaysia. Run and operated by Francis Ho, an architect by profession, who as an avid and passionate kayaker is sharing the beauty, joys and pleasures he has discovered paddling on these beautiful waters.So if you are thinking of a Sarawak trip and you want to experience Sarawak in your travels in Borneo - this is the authentic totally non-touristy experience thing to do when you are in Kuching. See our rain forests and jungles - from the perspective of the river.
Barcelona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fabulous day trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My mum and i did this trip- we had a blast! Beautiful scenery, amazing guide (ricki) :), and lovely locally made lunch. 100% recommend this trip, great value for money

East Palo Alto, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fantastic jungle river excursion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a private tour for the kayaking (my family of 4) as we were short on time. The scenery surrounding the river was gorgeous - interesting limestone formations, mountains in the background, cliffs with huge plants growing off of them, etc. The river was not too wide, so the banks weren't too far away. The kids enjoyed swimming alongside for part of the way, and getting towed by the kayaks through the water, as it was a hot day. The stop to walk up a tributary creek to a beautiful mini waterfall was a highlight of the tour. The lunch featured a delicious assortment of fruits that we hadn't seen before, as well as noodles, curry puffs, and coconut-filled crepes for dessert. The village tour wasn't that interesting, so we cut it short and got back on the river. Just before the end, there was a deep section where we all beached the kayaks and went swimming. The guide brought along fish food and scattered it in the river, and the small fish all jumped out of the water to eat it (also very entertaining for the kids). We started on the river about 10am and were done by 2pm, including lunch and the 11km of river. Our guide even threw in a stop at the Giant supermarket at 10th Mile so we could pick up groceries for later in the trip.

Visited July 2014
Boulder, Colorado
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lovely miss and hit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We started our day off hoping to spot an orangutan at the semmengog reserve but because of an unexpected climate shift there was an additional fruit season and therefore we did not see any orangutans as they were not interested to be fed by humans. Despite this disappointment we went on to have a lovely day with James and Beko, our guides. The river was lovely, the food was great at lunch and especially the fresh picked pineapple was a delight will never forget! We learned a great deal about Borneo through these very knowledgeable sweet men. Highly recommended.
Francis also was very helpful, answered his emails quickly and also funny!

Kuala Lumpur
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Looking forward to another adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'd signed up for the Rainforest Kayaking & Orang Utan package & was punctually picked up from my hotel by James at 8.00am. Our first stop was at the Semenggoh Wildlife Centre, but I won't go into details about my visit here & will write a seperate review about it. Anyway, after finishing off at Semenggoh at about 9.30am, James & I headed off to Kampung Semadang, about a half an hour's drive away, to pick up Beko, the guide for kayaking journey, and the kayaks too.

We met Beko at & after a quick introduction, Beko & James promptly loaded some kayaks onto the van & we were off for another 20-minute drive to Kampung Bengoh, the starting point of this kayaking adventure!

Since I had never kayaked before, I had requested double kayak with Beko.. just in case! The kayak was brought to the river, our stuff loaded into it, life jacket on in less than 15 minutes & we waved goodbye to James as Beko & I set off on our journey! How exciting!

The view was stunning &, according to Beko, I was very lucky that it had rained quite heavily the day before meaning that the water in the river was at good level & the current was strong enough to push up along. As such, I didn't have to paddle as hard & in many stretches we could simply just drift along & I had great opportunities to snap some photos. For most parts, though the current is strong enough to push you along, the river is rather calm & though you may encounter some Class 1 (mild) rapids, they're nothing to be overly concerned about.

After about a third of the overall journey, we stopped for lunch at Kampung Danu. Here, we met James again who had prepared a little picnic feast comprising of a variety of noodles, rice, local fruits, including some freshly cut pineapple (which was like the sweetest ever!) & drinks. After lunch, you can opt to take a stroll around the village or jump right back into the kayak & be on your way. Eager to get back into the water, I opted for the latter & we were on our journey again in no time!

The remaining two thirds of the journey was every bit as exciting as the first, if not more, as you will encounter all these gorgeous limestone formations, even paddle under some of them. There are also many sandbanks along the river where you can stop to have a dip in the cool river & explore the surroundings.

Under Beko's supervision, I'd learnt to paddle somewhat efficiently & Beko reckons that I'm ready for a single kayak should I take on another kayak adventure - believe me, I would love to come back! It's really hard to describe what you see but the serenity & beauty of the forest & the river coupled by the sense of adventure.. it was a great feeling! Plus, Beko, who hails from the local Bidayuh tribe & has had vast experience & knowledge of the river & area, was very informative & made good conversation.

The journey will end back at Kampung Semadang & from here it'll take you about an hour to get back into the city, which means you'll be back at wherever you're staying by about 5.00pm at latest - a day well spent if you ask me!

In a nutshell, I felt well taken care of by both James & Beko. It doesn't matter if you've never kayaked before, I hadn't, but I believe you're in good hands. I felt safe & my wellbeing taken care of by these 2 gentlemen. Still, you'll have to do your bit in taking care of yourself & I would highly recommend that you bring along your sunscreen, insect repellent, a hat/cap, a good waterproof bag to store your stuff & a towel plus change of clothes as you will get wet, you will be tempted to take a dip in the river & it may rain, in the case of the latter, a raincoat may also be handy. Don't have to worry about drinking water though - James is efficient in making sure you're well hydrated & that you have a bottle water handy at all times! So, if you enjoy the outdoors & for those who've never kayaked but are game to try something different, do take on this adventure!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank GPenaflorida
London, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Lovely relaxing day out in the rainforest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Three of us took the Rainforest Kayaking & Orangutan visit yesterday. We had a great time - firstly went & saw the orangutans at the reserve. While they're not completely wild, you do get to see them up incredibly close! The only downside of this part of the trip is that you're with a group of approx 100 other people going into the viewing areas - they run a feeding schedule to get the orangs up close & personal while the visitors are there. It felt a little too 'touristy' for my taste, but you do get some great photo ops, and I think one of the things that has to be done while in Borneo, at least to tick the box :)

The late morning / afternoon was spent kayaking through beautiful rainforest. We were fortunate enough to be the only visitors on our trip that day, and all agreed that probably added to how much we enjoyed it. Do be aware that you maybe mixed in with other groups when you book. Our guide was wonderful - he had amazing local knowledge, was a brilliant storyteller and was obviously immensely proud of the area & of his village. Our kayaking was at a fairly sedate pace, and overall the trip was just lovely & relaxing. We kayaked for about 3 hours, winding slowly downriver. There were frequent enough rest stops that you don't get to tired (though it is a fairly long trip, so I would think a basic level of fitness is needed to get through). The kayaking was definitely my favourite bit of the trip - we were able to take it at our own pace, scramble up waterfalls & rock formations and just enjoy our day. It didn't have the tourist trap feeling of being dragged around in a tour group at all.

Overall we had a great day & I'd highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for an active, yet relaxing, day out in nature!

Visited May 2014