Citadines Uplands Kuching
US$117
US$84
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Kuching Waterfront Lodge(Kuching)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$27
All reviewsshopping mallapartment hoteloverhead bridgestudio premierone bedroom apartmentserviced residenceswimming poolthe ground floorliving roommicrowave ovenwashing machinesame buildinghome away from homebasement parkingstayed for nightsaccess cardcomfortable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I would have rated this 5 star if it had an onsite restaurant or cafe - but that would have made it a hotel of course. Incredibly new and stylish. Daily housekeeping except for Sundays so the room was always spotless. Staff were pleasant, courteous and prompt. I did miss the convenience of room service and having somewhere to go to get a decent meal. The Library Bar downstairs has some food but more of takeaway quality. You can get what you need from The Springs Mall across the road and the mini mart downstairs. I guess it feels like a 5 star hotel, but then you remember it's just an apartment. I had a studio, but given you can get extra rooms I would recommend it to anyone really. Only negative was breakfast - the only 'western' breakfast was toast, and the dining area was more akin to a university cafe - had staff but no airconditioning. I would suggest they either get rid of the cafe as it pulls them down, or upscale it.

Room Tip: Gorgeous and comfortable apartment. If that's what you're looking for, go no further.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MariAlbiston
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was supposed to stay at Morning Glory Guest House but due to a change in travel plans, I decided to book a unit at Citadines instead.

Here's my review:

The Good

- relatively new property

- check-in was smooth and fast

- clean room and toilet

- my one bedroom unit has generous space. The living room and kitchenette is great for hosting visitors.

- located opposite The Spring mall with a good selection of food and retail shops.

- a mini supermarket is located on the ground floor of the retail podium of this property which makes it very convenient to buy daily necessities like mineral water, snacks, pills, etc.

- a pretty decent Japanese ramen shop is also on the ground floor. Nice food though it can be a bit pricey, especially if you are a Malaysian.

- I thought that the breakfast was ok. Not as classy as that of Pullman Hotel or Four Points Sheraton but enough to fill me up and get me through the morning. It's ok lah if you are not too fussy.

- Wifi was free and decent though it can be weak at certain parts of the room.

The not-so-good

- I inspected 3 units and all of them had varying degrees of cigarette stench even though they were supposed to be on non-smoking floors. I settled on the one with the least amount of stench and requested the staff to unlock all windows. Very disappointed about this issue. If you are allergic to cigarette smoke like me, it can be a gamble when booking a room here. I'm sure there are 'unpolluted' rooms but I just don't know where they are in the building.

- as one other reviewer pointed out, the positioning of the air-com was a bit strange. It faces the bed and blows cold air directly at you which was very uncomfortable. I had to push the flaps all the way down but it was still uncomfortable.

- I was on level 4 and the pool was on level 3. The pool is pretty well-used by guests in the late mornings and afternoons when I was there. If you want peaceful siestas, then it's best to avoid taking a unit facing the pool on the lower floors.

- a live music pub ironically named "The Library" located on the ground floor opened for business on my first night there. The thumping of the bass and the incredible racket caused by the patrons were enough to wake the dead! The din only stopped at about 3am every night. By the third night, I wanted to burn the pub down. Having said that, perhaps the higher floors were not so badly affected but I can't say for sure. It's another gamble.

- the shops and eateries located in the surrounding shophouses do not offer much variety, unlike the fantastic ones located opposite Four Points Sheraton.

One thing that really impressed me is how well-trained the staff were. They were at all times courteous, helpful and willing to assist in any way. But if the management is not willing to enforce the no-smoking policy on non-smoking floors, then that negates whatever goodwill the staff created. Nothing is worse than being exposed to second and third hand smoke.

My verdict: this place has so much potential but is let down by inconsiderate smokers and that pub. I should have stuck to Morning Glory Guest House and rented a car instead. Oh well......

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RolexBoy
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We spend 2 nights at Citadines during the CNY and found the overall experiences was"okay" but not great. Room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel around 230 pm and the reception seem under tremendous pressure as she was "yelling" at the Housekeeping through the walkie-talkie. We have specifically requested for a king size bed for the Studio, but we got a twin room. Room size was reasonable with basis amenities. Item such as toothbrush, slipper, shaving kit etc. was on request basis. Bathroom was small - only equipped with standing shower. Room was not properly clean - floor is dirty (hair), dusty edges / furniture surface and dirty shower glass panel. Lift landing and corridor definitely need improvement as it was dirty, unfinished (especially the lift landing window area) and dark. Breakfast was terrible. The venue look like "temporary" and food / drink quality was poor. Upon check-out, again the reception was under pressure - even run out of cash. It took 25 minutes to check-out and almost forgot to charge the room until I have to remind them. Overall, poor experiences but still value for money for price we paid.

Room Tip: Higher floor - city facing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a new apartment hotel opposite the Spring shopping centre, and close to Simpang Tiga and the Kenyalang residential village. The room sizes are widely variable from very small to reasonable size. I booked a room with queen bed, but was given one with twin beds. I only discovered it was a twin room after dragging my luggages in. That meant a trip to the reception, and I was moved to a very tiny room with a queen bed, facing the very noisy main road. After another trip to the reception, I was moved to a bigger room but this time facing the very well used and noisy swimming pool. The traffic noise was still very loud mainly due to poor sound insulation of the glazing. By then I was too exhausted and accepted the room anyway.

I did not sleep well mainly because of the air conditioning directing cold air onto the bed.

The lifts and lift lobbies were constantly wet probably because of the users of the swimming pool. No one mopped up the water or left a warning sign of possible slip. There were many kids running around making the place looked more like a family hotel than a business hotel.

Housekeeping staff used very noisy vaccum cleaner and they liked to keep the door open when they vaccum the room. I could hear the noise from my room.

The breakfast was included in the tariff. It was pretty much local food of noodles, rice porridge, hard boiled eggs etc. I saw the staff eating on the job in the same dining room.

Apart from the fact that the hotel is new, there isn't much else to recommend the place to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Ok so all the good stuff already mentioned in earlier reviews. Seriously i would defy anyone to find better accommodation for this price, or better, anywhere in the world. Never mind staying for a few days i could live here!!
So, only comments on the neg side, WiFi needs to be upgraded as its not good. Also the breakfast is pretty mediocre, but seriously when i weigh up all the good points i could care less. If i return to Kuching i wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere this is where i stay. Staff are great and i mean great all of them helpful friendly and sincere. Ok also in the interests of fairness building works going on next door so if you are using pool area may bother some but again it didn't bother me as not that noisy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple