“Great food in a cosy place”
Review of Tribal Stove

Tribal Stove
Ranked #54 of 600 Restaurants in Kuching
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed at Tune hotel and recognised the restaurant name next door from Trip Advisor so stopped in. As we walkded in a couple dining there told us they thoroughly enjoyed their meal. We both chose the set dinner option, you choose the main you want and it comes with 2 vegetable dishes, a rice and a drink so between two of us we had 2 mains and 4 vegetable dishes to try. Our mains were the Shredded Beef with Ginger and Bamboo Chicken and we enjoyed everything.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We were after something a little different to the abundance of Malay and Chinese option in the area. We weren't disappointed with the spicy cured fish (umai) and thoroughly enjoyed the tribal style lamb. The wild flower salad and shredded beef were also excellent.

The decor is fresh and interesting, and there are a range of authentic products avaliable for purchase.

The wait staff were friendly and helpful with sufficient english although a little lacking in experience.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Although the restaurant is right next door to the Tune Hotel Kuching where I'd stayed, I'd only tried it out on my last day in Kuching. When I arrived at 2.00pm for a late lunch, I was the only one there. The menu was quite extensive offering a wide variety of ethnic & local dishes interspersed with a few Western dishes.

I opted for the set lunch where you can choose a meat dish, 2 vegetables to go with it & a drink, all for RM16.90. So, I chose the chicken cooked in bamboo, the potato leaves & local asparagus, served with the famous Bario rice & a bowl of wild brinjal soup. The cinnamon lemon tea sounded interesting, so, I tried that.

The food didn't take to arrive but it gave me enough time to check out the decor & the premises. The decor is simple, uncluttered, a bit of modern mixed with ethnic touches. I like how the whole place looked & felt bright & cheery. Overall the place isn't all that big with some tables on the inside & a few more outside.

My meal arrived & it looked.. green! I suppose if you don't like vegetables, this would be a nightmare, but fortunately I do. For many Asians, especially if chillies & spicy food is a big part of the diet, this will seem rather bland. I actually thought it felt very healthy as dishes were either steamed, blanched or a quick stir fry. Plus, it's assured in the menu that absolutely no MSG is used. It's different, it's quite flavourful with lots of ginger & lemongrass used in the cooking but I reckon it's not for everyone. The cinnamon lemon tea, after adding some sugar, was absolutely yummy!

Overall I enjoyed the food & ambiance. I would love to return with either another person or group to try out dishes from the ala carte menu, maybe some dessert & definitely the coffee.

1  Thank GPenaflorida
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely loved the food at Tribal Stove. The language barrier did mean that we weren't completely sure of what it was we had ordered however we were more than pleased with what we received. The food tasted fresh, organic and uncomplicated. Loved the bamboo shoot soup. Being coeliac, it was fantastic to eat with confidence

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Went to Tribal Stove some while back, but were very disappointed with the buffet lunch there yesterday.

The ? spinach soup was quite good, but cold. The 2 green vegetables were cooked in the same way, and, alongside the soup, didn't really offer much variety. The ayam pansoh (chicken) was very bony, not much meat. In all it was very uninspiring.