“MASSIVE Mosque well worth a visit.”

Pustaka Negeri Sarawak
Ranked #47 of 86 things to do in Kuching
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Melbourne, Australia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“MASSIVE Mosque well worth a visit.”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I learnt about this Mosque when I visited the Kuching District Mosque. One of the worshippers there insisted that I should see the state mosque as well as it is much grander than the Kuching District Mosque.

The Mosque is located on the Malay side of the River which I advise all visitors to Kuching to go and see as it is much more calm, open fields, nice water features and huge roundabouts. As this part of Kuching seems to be under construction with new estates and buildings it is much more well planned out than the city centre.

As you get closer to the mosque you see the 99 meter tall minaret which is to resemble the 99 names of Allah. The Mosque has been built on a vast stretch of land and is absolutely huge in size. So huge you can not get a picture of the mosque and minaret into the same picture frame.

The floors of the mosque are from marble stone and the mosque has a vast open area at the entrance with cut out into the roof to allow rain water to enter and fill up the pool beneath.

Inside the mosque is quite simple yet elegant and consists of 40 miniature domes to signify the 40 hadiths of the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

Photos can be taken inside, or I think they can be as no one approached me or warned me against taking photos.

Sadly the mosque needs more car and maintenance and I do not believe it gets this, as the lobby of the minaret is empty, dirty and has stains. The Minaret was constructed with an elevator, yet the elevator seems to have been out of service long ago, which is a real shame as I am sure the top level of the minaret would provide magnificent views of the area. In one way or another I can say that this grand mosque which HUGE potential has been neglected over time, this can be due to the fact that the area around the mosque is yet to be developed as there is no nearby neighbourhoods and therefore the mosque appears to be out of the way for most worshippers.

Nevertheless, a must see mosque. I enjoyed it and recommend to others!

I did have photos to share, for some reason the add photo option is hidden from me while writing this review. If you like to see photos please message me.

Visited January 2014