“Reasonable Price.”

Telang Usan Hotel Kuching
Ranked #23 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I checked in on the 28/9. Nothing much comments from me. I think it time for their renovation. The bathroom, the in room sofa, the furniture and the guest corridor/hallway lighting need further improvement. The box TV - the reception not good at all, pictures not clear. My entrance door light was out of order. Didn't got the chance to try their breakfast as I woke up late. Reception services....hmmmm... What can you expect from a 3 star hotel? No smiling face, no greeting, not a friendly either (my opinion) but I am fine with it because of the price that I got to pay but if I check in to a 5 star hotel my expectation will be much higher.Problem with the unavailable parking space during the weekend.
I might consider this hotel to stay if I want to hang out to the nearest shopping mall, bar, or restaurant because I hardly spend my time in the hotel room. So, the only time I occupied the room is around mid night and went out early in the next morning.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Telang Usan Hotel Kuching

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have a good time. It was some trees around, with fruits and not so long way to the city. The food at the hotell was very good and tasty. It was two others places to eat nearby. The hotel had at lot of handicraft from Orang Ulu. First we booked two nights and so we want to stay one more night and one more night, so we stayed six nights. The personal was wonderful. We also take some trips from the travel agency in the same building. If you want to make experience more then have luxury I really can recommend this hotel and I should choose it again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We spent one night at this hotel and we think it is a bit over pricey. The room was enough cleaned, while the bathroom was a bit dirty and very old (nearly falling apart!) with moist on the walls. Besides being an old hotel which definitely need a restoration, they are taking a bit too much money for the room. Moreover, the staff was not entirely prepared (the receptionist we got could not point out the hotel on the map and did not give any information about the hotel unless we asked - for example, she gave us the room key without saying on which floor we had to go to, or where the elevator was; no mentioning about wi-fi, or breakfast hours).
They could totally make some efforts in managing it better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

There are pros and cons about this hotel. A friend and I stayed here for 3 weeks as we had a placement in the hospital in Kuching.

Positives
- Reasonable price
- Very helpful and friendly staff
- Good breakfast- we are english so preferred to have the cereal, toast, and 3 varieties of fresh fruit (pineapple, papaya, melon, water melon, banana). There was also hot food such as noodles which I didn't try.
- comfortable beds and pillows
- good air con
-good shower!

Negatives
- The rooms are a bit tired, the curtains in our room had mould on
- the towels often had holes in
- the refrigerator in our room did not work (although we did not inform staff as it did not bother us)
- very noisy as night due to a bar nearby being open till late- not good for light sleepers! Fortunately this was not a problem for my friend or I!

Overall we were very satisfied. I think you get what you pay for here.

Room Tip: Just ask to have a look around several if you are not happy- we looked at five before choosing one!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kate8777
Reviewed 19 April 2013

If you only have USD 40 per night to spend on a hotel in Kuching, then this one is the best bet - but.... NOT FOR LIGHT SLEEPERS!!! Forget about falling asleep before midnight at this hotel. The breakfast is average. They have nice nasi lemak, which is a local rice dish and freshly cut fruits.... but I'd much prefer the delicious local noodle cafes just a 1 minute walk from the hotel. Absolutely delicious! Order the 'mee kolok' which is a local favorite. Its ramen noodles with caramelized pork slices, steamed leafy veg and wontons. OMG! My favorite noodles from Sarawak!

Pros:

1. Cheap room rates
2. Refurbished rooms are pleasant
3. Staff is very friendly
4. A little far, but still only 10 mins walk from the city center

Cons:

1. At night there are TWO VERY NOISY restaurants at the front of the hotel playing local karaoke until 2 am!
2. Behind the hotel, there is a restaurant and you can hear the clanking of the dishes as they wash up until midnight
3. There are loads of ants that eat toothpaste or any other sweet things in your sink area... i woke up to a swarm of ants one morning... NOT FUN!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, choose a room on the 2nd floor or 3rd floor. they are mostly all renovated an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TheLydster
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed in TU Hotel in December over a period of 5 nights.
The hotel is located in a quiet corner but is just minutes away from all the action.
The surrounding area offers ample selection of food and beverages.
Room service offered at the hotel itself is tasty but they no longer serve alcoholic beverages although its in the room service menu!
A walk to the major tourist attractions would probably take about 15-20 minutes.
The hotel room itself is pretty basic and my was infested with ants.
Daily cleaning service was a hit and miss kind of thing... (bed feels sandy/dusty after clean up, floor is still dirty, complimentary mineral water was not replaced daily...etc)
The restaurant was a nice place to hang around to serve the net (wifi) and have a snack/meal.
The service staffs are laid back (in a positive way) and friendly. They offered directions and suggestions when asked.
Overall, this hotel is a pretty good budget accomodation that served its purpose for me. I would most likely try a new hotel on my next visit as i believe there is probably better value out there.

Room Tip: The twin and double rooms are exactly the same... choose the cheaper one if there is a difference in...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Teo_KT
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed here for 1 night.

(+ve comments)
- The room was spacious.
- The receptionists were helpful and friendly.
- Check-in process went smoothly and fast :)

(-ve comments)
- When i first entered the room (2nd floor), it did not smell good or fresh.. perhaps the previous guest was a smoker or the room have not been used for a very long time. We had to get our own air freshener for the room...
- The pillow cases were smelly unfortunately. The pillows should be sunned or replaced!
- The towels were torn. It is high time to get new towels.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple