“Wonderful!”

Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Perth Western Australia
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Permai Rainforest Resort is brilliant!
Best place I went to in Sarawak. We stayed in a treehouse and it was a delight. High up in the forest canopy, and right next to the ocean. The view from our balcony was superb, across the sea. There were monkeys and birds right next to us, and no need for aircon at night as you can open up all the windows (screened) to let the breeze through.
The place was clean, tidy and well equipped.
The staff were friendly and helpful, but not creepy fake nice like they are in some of the bigger resorts. I got the impression they really cared about this place.

They kept the grounds and local forest neat and litter-free.
The jungle trails are a delight - complete with a waterfall, rope bridge and several streams. It all feels very authentic.
And to the reviewer who said the forest walk freaked their kids . . What? What kind of kids are these? Sure, there are big ants, and monkeys, and thick vegetation. It's a rainforest. Not a theme park. What were you expecting - Disneyworld?

If you want a taste of the equatorial rainforest - this is the place to go. I'd recomend it to anyone who wants to avoid the big bland boring resorts down the road. Five stars!

• Liked — Natural feel of the rainforest
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank swagman08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
UK
Reviewed 2 September 2008

My family arrived at this resort after visiting Bako and also an Iban longhouse in Batang Ai. We are no softies and enjoy being close to nature. However, I was disgusted by the a/c cabin we stayed in at this resort. It was dark, smelly and filthy. There is a big difference between being close to nature (we were more so in Bako and Batang Ai) and being squalid. In remote places it is part and parcel of the experience to have no hot water but when you are just along thebeach from big hotels it adds no charm.

The beaches and surrounding grounds were lovely and the nearby Sarawak Cultural Village unexpectedly brilliant. However, if you choose Permai my advice is to make sure you stay in one of the treehouses or newer non a/c cabins.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank escaped2c
Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2008

While traveling Malaysia last year we book to stay in Permai Rainforest for 3 nights. Once there we extending our stay to 5 nights as we loved it so much!!. We had one of the tree houses which are really great, plenty of space and aircon too! watch out for the monkeys in the morning. The resort have plenty of activities available which need to be booked 24 hours in advance....be sure to book early as most activities are done by staff outside there usual working hours. The guides in permai are by far the best guides we had during our travels, very friend and helpful bunch of guys who love to show you their country. Restaurant had good food if you are planning a long stay you might want to venture out a couple of evenings as the menu is not very large. All in all a brilliant place to stay, I can't wait to go back for a longer stay!.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mymemory
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I am an American expat living in Sarawak, Malaysia.
Our 23 yr old daughter and 5 yr old grandson came for the summer of 2007. We planned a trip to Kuching for July, and I have to say we had a wonderful time. I had been to Kuching and Damai Beach before, so I was familiar with it already. I had not stayed at Camp Permai though.
When I was planning the trip , I knew I wanted something that would stand out from the usual hotel room, was leaning towards a longhouse stay, but then stumbled upon Camp Permai.
As soon as I saw the pictures of the treehouses I knew my daughter and grandson would love it, and they did.
I booked the Holiday Inn Resort for the first night, and the 2nd and 3rd night I booked them a Treehouse, and my husband and I opted to stay next door at the Holiday Inn resort.
Holiday Inn resort room was mildewed, and we recieved a smoking room after requesting a non smoking. Also we had problems at holiday inn with meals, and the pool was filthy.
On the other hand as soon as we walked next door, to take "the kids" to there treehouse at Camp Permai, we were both enchanted.
The treehouse itself was clean, a very comfortable bed, a good clean bathroom, and tea making facility with a mini fridge.It had a nice balcony with ocean breeze so it was nice and cool. It also had air conditioning.
The treehouse we rented for the kids was in a nice jungle area but less than 10 feet from the beach.
Walking from there into the rainforest on the boarded walk, you come to a very nice and refreshing mountain pool. They have damned up a mountain stream and building a natural looking concret pool, with decking around it. It was shady and refreshing.
Just past the pool , is the beach,with huge boulders all over the place. The sea was very rough, but also very clear and clean .
There is a small cafe that had delicious Malasian food and very cheap.
The mee goreng was very tasty.
Ok all in all I give Camp Permai 5 stars . No it is not a luxory hotel, no concierge or bag boys, definently no room service, but we were not looking for that when we booked this trip. Is it the best *nature resort* out there ? No, but it is NATURAL.

• Liked — The rainforest
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank rummycakes
usa
Reviewed 10 November 2007

We booked two nights here and within 15 minutes, we went to the front desk to cancel the second night.... its was so unkept at least the cabins with a/c. The a/c cabins are the older ones, 19 years old and looks like it wasn't even painted in 19 years! The children and adults freaked out! Really gross. Bathrooms made me want to puke! The cabin had lights, but you can barely see your feet it was sooo dark and gloomy!!

The newer cabins have no a/c, those might be ok, not sure, but you would think the newer ones have a/c? The treehouse I'm not sure either... The food was good from the cafe, but if your planning to go to Daimi Beach in Kuching, stay at the Holiday Inn Resort next door, same beach, newly remodeled.....

Permai sounds and looks great on the website.... so dissappointing! All of the boat activities was cancelled due to bad weather, but we found out the boatman uses an illegal route which is very very dangerous.

The activities was pretty weak and overpriced. The jungle walk was so freaky, we went 50 feet and turned back. The giant ants scared the children.

If your a hardcore tree hugger, you might like this place.....

Permai has to maintain and upgrade this place.... you can get use once, but not twice.... especially bad reviews is your enemy....

Forget this rainforest theme place...... enjoy your stay next door at the Daimi Beach Holiday Inn......

Stayed November 2007