“Good ayam penyet”

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Would rank this between Average and Very Good - but decided to go with Very Good, considering their different atmosphere and speciality dishes.

Tried several items on their menu -
Nasi Ayam Penyet (really good BBQ chicken! - this is the one dish you must order here)
Umai ikan (raw fish marinated in lime juice and chillies - one of the best umai I've tasted)
Butter Prawn (this was quite disappointing)
Baby Kailan (Ok)
Nasi Goreng Kampung (strange, not the normal nasi goreng kampung - doesn't have anchovies and kangkung like the previous review stated)

Bill for 4 people - 2 nasi ayam penyet (RM 9 each), umai ikan (RM10), butter prawn (medium size plate, RM24), baby kailan (medium, RM18 - VERY OVERPRICED FOR VEGETABLES!), nasi goreng kampung (RM7.50) and drinks came up to RM83.90 - quite pricey, as servings are not large.

The restaurant is a wooden kampung house - interesting, with traditional music playing on the speakers.

Service is not speedy - there can be many people eating here. The owner is very friendly, he was very patient in giving directions (we drove there and I was not familiar with the area). and yes.. mosquitoes can be a problem, so bring repellent if you're really particular.

As advised by the previous reviews, take the sampan from Kuching Waterfront - at the sampan "station" at the Rainforest Cafe. It should only cost you 50 cents per person. the last sampan runs at 12 midnight, so don't worry about not being able to catch a boat back.

Overall, I'd say.. go for the Nasi Ayam Penyet and the Umai.. don't order other dishes unless you're willing to fork out more money to try.

Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Its located near to the kuching waterfront...u just need to take the sampan to get there...we ordered ayam penyet n teh c special....seriously worth for te price we paid! Good view of the river.....feel like u r in a kampung house....only one minus point! The service was poor....we waited almost 15 min to get the menu...!!

2  Thank divya2209
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I visited this restaurant in May 2012.

We ordered nasi goreng kampung, nasi pattaya & umai for food.
The nasi goreng kampung is quite different from what we usually get in peninsular malaysia as it doesn't have anchovies & kangkung. It taste more like seafood fried rice to me, with the fresh prawns and squids in it. It taste good though. The nasi pattaya & umai is also average.
The price for both drinks and food here is reasonable for its quality.

I then realized that this place is famous for its ayam penyet, I should have ordered that! The chicken does smell good when the waitress serving it to the table next to us.

I like the environment in this restaurant as it's in the traditional barok house, it's a good choice for tourist like us.

1  Thank Junekazama10
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Halal food. Should try the ayam penyet. Can see the scenic view of the rejang river.

1  Thank cassida
Reviewed 31 January 2012

From what I heard Barok is quite popular as they have been featured in some local travel-food programmes. After being there I would say the food is quite average, I think I can get the same quality of food at the foodcourt facing the river, and cheaper. Service was ok, not the fastest thing in the world. So overall just average.