“Hidden gem in One Utama”

Dave's Bistro Bar & Grill
Ranked #20 of 1,615 Restaurants in Petaling Jaya
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dave's Bistro Bar & Grill first opened its doors 10 years ago with a philosophy to create beautiful food with passion, integrity and synergizing our Asian roots with traditional French and Italian techniques. We also have an English/ French styled bar for customers to kick back and relax; a haven from the hustle and bustle of a shopping mall. We serve a variety of pizzas, pastas, and pork offerings. While much is often made of ambiance and style, we believe our food speaks for itself. So come to eat, drink and indulge.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Another wonderfully satisfying evening at Dave's Bistro, Grill & Bar in 1 Utama! The ambiance is even better on a Friday night when Joey Singh spins his excellent choice of old songs - so much so that after we paid the bill and had no more drinks to sip from, my friends and I did not want to go. We just sat and sat and decided to order another round of Killkenny's! Nobody comes to hard-sell more drinks and yet service is always at your finger tips!

We took too much time to figure what we wanted to eat from the 'everything-tempting' menu so Dave decided to order for us - a few items that we could share from. This is one of the best parts of his service, he uses his experience to order for us. He knows now how much our bellies can hold and the amount of food tonight was just right.

Scrumptious and delicious again, we even scrapped the mash and gravy off the bottom of the plates and the dense French butter we spread on their own-baked breads is to die for! They have so many signature dishes - and all of the meats just melt in your mouth and the crackling is so tender crispy, not hard crispy! Oh, btw, the menu is not halal and there are so many porky dishes to choose from - from whole suckling pig roasted western style to 'siew yoke' and rolled roast pork. Chicken, beef and delicious pasta and a mean Caesar's Salad too! Try their absolutely fantastic stuffed button mushrooms with REAL bacon, pureed carrot, fine mash potatoes and divine shredded spinach! Even their green garden peas are tiny tender young ones!

I walked to the back of the restaurant to view the Al Fresco dining area and was surprised that the restaurant is actually so deep! The first section has 2 private dining 'rooms' besides the open dining area. Then you walk through to the bar section which has even more tables in a regular-sized room with a long bar. I liked this sector better as it totally resembled an English pub except nicer. Only then..at the end of this..is the glass door that leads to the Al Fresco dining area with solid heavy wooden tables and chairs that looked like they were part of an Australian home BBQ yard.

You see the length of the bistro from the photo below, well....multiply what you see by 3 for the actual full size of this restaurant! Do call to make a reservation before you go as I have been told they are full most nights. That in itself says a lot about this bistro - they've been at it for more than 10 years and they are still full almost every night!

Trust me - you will love this place - its staff, the food, the drinks and on Friday nights, the music in just the right volume from clear good quality speakers! AND the prices will not cost you an arm and a leg!

It must be true! I just went the night before last and I have already gone back again!!!

Thank you David and Darren Chin! Even my friends said they will be back soon! You know you guys have clinched the right formula don't you?

1  Thank travelloress

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I used to look forward to Friday at Dave's coz I love the roast pork belly, available only during the weekend. Tender meat with crispy crackling, I thought it was a dish to die for. The selection of pasta was really good too and at 50% off on weekdays afternoon, it was an attraction my gang and I couldn't pass up.

Several months ago after an absence of a year or so, I came back to Dave's to refresh my memory of its wonderful roast pork. What a disappointment. It was swimming in oil and most of the skin was not properly roasted, tasting soggy and totally unpalatable.

Came again today, thinking maybe the last time was a one off let down. Boy, was I wrong. The roast pork was still swimming in a thick layer of oil and the skin was mostly an under-roasted pale beige colour, still soggy.

Thank god they reprinted the menu coz the old one was really grubby. I was shocked at the price of the wine-by-the-glass. While it used to be RM15 (or thereabouts) for a glass of mediocre wine, it's now RM25 for a glass of the same mediocre wine, albeit from a different estate. They now call it "premium wine".

All in, it was a disappointing meal. It's really sad coz I know from experience that the chef of Dave's, Darren Chin, is a talented chef. The restaurant was packed whenever I visited. Maybe he thought it was doing well enough and neglected Dave's. Sorry Darren, I doubt we'll be back.

1  Thank wct38
Darren C, Owner at Dave's Bistro Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear WCT88,
Thank you for your honest feed back. As i have done a extensive investigation through the CCTV and questioning the staff on the matter of the roast pork. I will definately look into it. However It would have been easier to handle the situation if the issue was brought up to the service staff if you were not satisfied with your meal. As we could have done something about it, be it a replacement or a money back refund.
As for your comments on the house pour wines:-
-Price from rm15.00 per glass to 25.00 is due to the high alchohol tax we have to bare thus not making it not feasible to sell at rm15.00.
-Taste being a mediocre wine:-
first of all, taste in my opinion very subjective, however the wines were specially chosen to pair with the food as we know the owners of the vinyard in cote de blaye,bordeaux with the assurance that the wines are not mediocre.
Lastly, as group director and head chef for Daves Bistro Bar Grill, i would like send my apologies if the meal you had recently was not up to your expectations. And it is not because i have neglected the restaurant, but maybe it was not our day to serve you better.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This place consistently serves good food with attentive service by their staff. Their choice of western food is commendable, execution is well done and value for our money. Located in the 4th largest mall in the world, this place has a sister restaurant few steps away, for cafe style dining, sans the alcohol and pork dishes.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

The food is tasty and service is quick although they do run out of some dishes when there are many customers as we found out one weekend

1  Thank rahmah47
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This restaurant, my wife and I have found it to be very consistent in term of food and service. The price was affordable. We often there either for lunch or dinner. The service was above average comparing to what we are used in this city. RECOMMEND to all who likes Pizza and Pasta

1  Thank Sukan28