“Excellent :)”
Review of Ryokan Chic Hotel

Ryokan Chic Hotel
Ranked #19 of 47 Petaling Jaya B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2013

really really love this hotel! Highly recommended to all travelers to damansara uptown area. Now where do I start???

1. Friendly happy staff
Overall, service was good and we were greeted by happy and warm welcoming staff! They were efficient to our needs as well and try to solve problems or issues as fast as possible.

2. Hotel interior is fantastic
For a budget hotel the hotel room layout was mind blown. The room is huge with a really big bed and flat TV screens. The bathroom was chic as well and very clean. I am really happy with the chic design and comfort of my hotel room. Besides that, on the staircase leading up to the rooms, the walls are decorated with chic wall art wic give a modern welcoming feel.

3. Surrounded by great shops and restaurants.
If you are famished in the hotel, never fear as there are many restaurants around with great food! I really love the La Kaffa café just downstairs of the hotel that serves great coffee and breakkie/lunch sets! Cheaper foods can be found in hawker or hokkien mee stall etc. Shopping convenience can be found in the market as well :)

Overall a really pleasant stay and thanks to the hotel management and staff! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sotongishere

Reviewed 13 June 2013

It was my first time trying out this hotel. Location wise is great since it is located in Damansara Uptown and perfect for my business trip but car parking is a huge mega problem as they don't have private car parks and it's a hassle to round more than 10 times for an hour to find a vacant public parking lot and also which I have to keep monitoring the hourly pay meter.

Upon checking-in at the reception area, the impression was really chic with their interior surrounding but unfortunately their staffs were like in a disarray situation at the check-in counter trying to multi-task check-ins, check-outs, answering calls, registrations, liaising with maintenance staffs, all at the same time. Well, I can't expect a 5 star professionalism since it's more like a motel/inn service than a hotel but I sure hope they can create a proper and smooth job flow system.

I was lucky that I got a 2nd floor room as lugging up the narrow staircase with my trolley luggage, a laptop backpack, and a sling camera bag is no easy task haha.

I got the Duke and Duchess room which comes with a Queen size bed. The room was small and cozy and it has a window facing the streets. Then again the air-conditioning and tv can't be on. Called up the reception and they sent a foreign maintenance staff(could be either a Myanmar or Vietnamese) to check on my room. He came in, tested the switches and told me to wait in broken English and went out again. After half an hour, finally the tv and air-cond were working and power supply came back to my room. The front office guy was polite as he came up to my room to double check the power supply, apparently it's common for my room to have power tripped.

What I liked best was their hard mattress. It helps a lot on my aching back from driving long distance outstation business trip. Their flat LCD TV has 5 channels of Astro programs, not many choices but at least better than nothing. I also like their long and spacious bathroom but unfortunately the shower head holder is out of order and I would need to hold the shower head with one hand and the other hand to wash my head and body.

What I liked least is that their room window is not sound proof. As a business traveler, all I need is a decent sleep through the night after a long day of appointments and meetings, but the sounds of cars and bikes passing on the streets are unavoidable. The noises are so near, it's like you are sleeping on the streets hahaha. In the morning, as early as 7:30am, the ongoing construction facing exactly direct opposite the hotel started banging and piling. I could have dreamt of marvel comic hero Thor the thunder came down to earth hahahahaha. It sure woke me up immediately and there goes my 40 winks. Count me lucky that I still managed to get 2 hours of sleep throughout the night until morning.

I do like their coffee outlet below this hotel, called Kaffa Espresso Bar. Great place to chill out and their cheese cake was rich and delicious. Price wise a bit costly if you wanna compare with Starbucks.

In conclusion. For my future business trip, I would not come back here again. Main issues will be car parking and also the comfort of a proper decent sleep, other problems are still tolerable.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay here because of location wise, then I would suggest you to get a room wit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank JeyMatt
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I just want to thank the Ryokan team on the great experience I had at this hotel. The design was really chic and modern, and the service excellent. From the artwork on the walls, to the cozy beds, everything was just perfect. Look forward to going back again. :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kenny C
Reviewed 21 May 2013

It was a no frills stay in this shop house converted hotel. The staff is very friendly and has great Wi-Fi connection. Rooms are big but very cheap. You cannot say that the location is not good being in PJ and far from KLCC, it was in a fantastic location near great restaurants. This is where you can experience the real Malaysia!

Some difficulty is it has no elevators and the shower was quite complicated. But over-all, it was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank crispypata
Reviewed 16 April 2013

It was my second time staying in Ryokan. To my amaze, under their subsidiary brand, they now have a nice and cosy cafe, sounded something like Kaffa....not too sure of its meaning but it's certainly a good indulging hang out joint in a hustle and bustle neighbourhood. Keep up the good works and I shall look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Disclaimer: I'm writing this in the comfort of my own home and not for some free soft drink they were offering for people to review them. So here's my genuine verdict...

Beyond the tiny doors, which is quite difficult to spot along the row of shophouses, Ryokan Chic is actually quite big on the inside. There were many more rooms than I had expected.

GPS shows the correct location but roads are one way so you gotta figure out how to turn your way there instead. Parking was along the streets right in front and it was very easy to park. Free parking too. Just note that you aren't allowed to park in front of Perodua.

Interior design was minimalist. Nothing Ryokan about it other than the mattresses on elevated platforms. My kids were scared by the wall decals of apes. I found the walls near the rooms too plain and dreary. I felt kinda claustrophobic looking at them.

Service staff were polite and prompt. Fuss free. No lifts so may be a hassle carrying huge luggage or kids. We were given a free upgrade as they were full. Sure was a pleasant surprise.

The rooms were clean and minimally-furnished. Perfect for a short stay. However as they had used poor quality reno and furniture, I could see signs of the items looking worn, cracks on floor and wall, even though hotel is quite new. I like the bed because there is space to sleep on the platform if u need extra space. It's clean and free anyway. Mattress was hard but fine for me.

Toilet was really dark as many others have mentioned. It's made worse by the black tiles and black shower curtain. I didn't think the toilet was clean because it was so black you can't tell anyway. The shower curtain was ridiculously made of thick fabric - ie not waterproof and dusty. I didn't dare move it as I already saw dust specks floating in the air. The shower was rather cool though, but too complicated and pointless to use. It was some kinda standing powerjet massager. Water flow was bad, and made worse everytime the toilet was flushed while someone was bathing.

There's no hot water in the room. Everything is self-service at the reception area. They didn't even have cups or mugs for the bathroom. But I didn't expect much for the price anyway.

Located near many eateries, it's quite convenient. Also, it's just a 5 min drive away from the Damansara shopping district. Good place to stay if you are going to PJ and looking for cheap and decent accommodation.

Room Tip: Get one on the lower floor if you can't climb much.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank June L
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Read all the review for this hotel.. Mostly gave a very good comment. However, I feel it's a bit over rated. I stay this hotel for 1 night, the room is small. I book for duke and Duchess. The room is without window. While I return in the mid night at around 3am, found out my room shower heater is broke and the water pressure is very low. After around 30 minutes after I complained still can't make it done. I feel very tired and the staff upgrade me to another bigger room. So, end up I slept at around 4:30a. In the morning, the breakfast is too simple and nothing special. This hotel is only suitable for youngster and small group traveler due to the small room problem.

Overall, this hotel is just fair good but I will still stay at ryokan again for my next trip. Hope they could solve the water
Pressure problem.