“Sewer odor !”

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Sewer odor !”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Few points: -

1) Sewer odor in bathroom (no matter how hard we tried to clean the bathroom - major issue!)
2) Indifferent and unfriendly male receptionist
3) Inexperienced housekeeping who mistakenly left floor mats in the bathroom room, and we had to use it as we checked in after midnight (she thought the floor mats = towels)

Will not come back here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KS2013SY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just been there for a couple of nights for a visit to the nearby hospital Optical in TTDI area. The location is not convenient if you like to stay near city center. Very difficult for my taxi driver to find the place. Standard level of cleanliness. Only 5 channel on they flat LCD TV. The breakfast included in the price was very bad (only choice between coffee and tea, some boiled eggs and very poor. The waitress didn't speak any word in English. Definitively I would not come there for a second time and for the same price you can have much better around bukit Bintang (city center).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2013

really really love this hotel! Highly recommended to all travelers to damansara uptown area. Now where do I start???

1. Friendly happy staff
Overall, service was good and we were greeted by happy and warm welcoming staff! They were efficient to our needs as well and try to solve problems or issues as fast as possible.

2. Hotel interior is fantastic
For a budget hotel the hotel room layout was mind blown. The room is huge with a really big bed and flat TV screens. The bathroom was chic as well and very clean. I am really happy with the chic design and comfort of my hotel room. Besides that, on the staircase leading up to the rooms, the walls are decorated with chic wall art wic give a modern welcoming feel.

3. Surrounded by great shops and restaurants.
If you are famished in the hotel, never fear as there are many restaurants around with great food! I really love the La Kaffa café just downstairs of the hotel that serves great coffee and breakkie/lunch sets! Cheaper foods can be found in hawker or hokkien mee stall etc. Shopping convenience can be found in the market as well :)

Overall a really pleasant stay and thanks to the hotel management and staff! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sotongishere
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

It was my first time trying out this hotel. Location wise is great since it is located in Damansara Uptown and perfect for my business trip but car parking is a huge mega problem as they don't have private car parks and it's a hassle to round more than 10 times for an hour to find a vacant public parking lot and also which I have to keep monitoring the hourly pay meter.

Upon checking-in at the reception area, the impression was really chic with their interior surrounding but unfortunately their staffs were like in a disarray situation at the check-in counter trying to multi-task check-ins, check-outs, answering calls, registrations, liaising with maintenance staffs, all at the same time. Well, I can't expect a 5 star professionalism since it's more like a motel/inn service than a hotel but I sure hope they can create a proper and smooth job flow system.

I was lucky that I got a 2nd floor room as lugging up the narrow staircase with my trolley luggage, a laptop backpack, and a sling camera bag is no easy task haha.

I got the Duke and Duchess room which comes with a Queen size bed. The room was small and cozy and it has a window facing the streets. Then again the air-conditioning and tv can't be on. Called up the reception and they sent a foreign maintenance staff(could be either a Myanmar or Vietnamese) to check on my room. He came in, tested the switches and told me to wait in broken English and went out again. After half an hour, finally the tv and air-cond were working and power supply came back to my room. The front office guy was polite as he came up to my room to double check the power supply, apparently it's common for my room to have power tripped.

What I liked best was their hard mattress. It helps a lot on my aching back from driving long distance outstation business trip. Their flat LCD TV has 5 channels of Astro programs, not many choices but at least better than nothing. I also like their long and spacious bathroom but unfortunately the shower head holder is out of order and I would need to hold the shower head with one hand and the other hand to wash my head and body.

What I liked least is that their room window is not sound proof. As a business traveler, all I need is a decent sleep through the night after a long day of appointments and meetings, but the sounds of cars and bikes passing on the streets are unavoidable. The noises are so near, it's like you are sleeping on the streets hahaha. In the morning, as early as 7:30am, the ongoing construction facing exactly direct opposite the hotel started banging and piling. I could have dreamt of marvel comic hero Thor the thunder came down to earth hahahahaha. It sure woke me up immediately and there goes my 40 winks. Count me lucky that I still managed to get 2 hours of sleep throughout the night until morning.

I do like their coffee outlet below this hotel, called Kaffa Espresso Bar. Great place to chill out and their cheese cake was rich and delicious. Price wise a bit costly if you wanna compare with Starbucks.

In conclusion. For my future business trip, I would not come back here again. Main issues will be car parking and also the comfort of a proper decent sleep, other problems are still tolerable.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay here because of location wise, then I would suggest you to get a room wit...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank JeyMatt
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I just want to thank the Ryokan team on the great experience I had at this hotel. The design was really chic and modern, and the service excellent. From the artwork on the walls, to the cozy beds, everything was just perfect. Look forward to going back again. :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Kenny C
Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed 21 May 2013

It was a no frills stay in this shop house converted hotel. The staff is very friendly and has great Wi-Fi connection. Rooms are big but very cheap. You cannot say that the location is not good being in PJ and far from KLCC, it was in a fantastic location near great restaurants. This is where you can experience the real Malaysia!

Some difficulty is it has no elevators and the shower was quite complicated. But over-all, it was great!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank crispypata
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

It was my second time staying in Ryokan. To my amaze, under their subsidiary brand, they now have a nice and cosy cafe, sounded something like Kaffa....not too sure of its meaning but it's certainly a good indulging hang out joint in a hustle and bustle neighbourhood. Keep up the good works and I shall look forward to returning again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business