“About right - good value, improvements becoming apparent”

AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sepang
Melbourne, Australia
“About right - good value, improvements becoming apparent”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a terrific break with family and friends. The Deals promotion made it great value and overall, our stay was pleasant, while not out of this world. Perhaps 4 or 5 nights would've been enough.

The accommodation was great. Probably the highlight. As a family with two young kids (3.5 and 2), the villa was ideal. Large, clean, comfortable. Beds large and bathrooms larger - quite luxurious!

The service was a bit lack lustre, and with a lot of staff in training it was a bit expected. All staff were friendly, just inexperienced and a bit clumsy which after a couple of days gets tiresome and frustrating. While reviews of a few months ago complained of not getting a drink for a while, the trouble now is more about not getting glasses, plates and tables cleared promptly or offered a follow up drink or two. The manager should challenge staff to up-sell more (can't believe I'm saying this). If there's ever a time when Aussies will accept the offer of another drink, it's when their sitting by a pool, the sun's out, there's nothing to do and nowhere else to go. Perhaps a bowl of chips or wedges? Who'd say no?!
Service was at a peak with Kamil at breakfast time. Super guy who showed plenty of initiative, patience and friendliness.

The food was average (but in no way bad). Again breakfast was a highlight with plenty to choose from and the Bila Bila buffet was surprisingly good too. The best meal came from the local open air fish barbecue restaurant about 300m west of the main entrance. Don't be off put by the flies; the fish, crabs, prawns and pippies are all fresh and cooked to perfection - and ultimately, bloody tasty - we fed 4 adults and 4 kids for about A$40.

Activities were rustic, but fun and plentiful - this was especially good for keeping kids amused. The "agri-tour" was good and worth a venture out of the resort. The main pool was good for all - kids could play in the shallow end safely, while we drank or swam at the other end. Smiley Beach was better than expected (based on previous reviews). A cool breeze and plenty of day beds made it better than the pool for the middle of the day - also, most activities centred around smiley beach, which worked well.

The vouchers for the day spa were appreciated and worthwhile without being mandatory. Not the greatest massage ever, but the spa facility is really nice.

The gym was good, if basic. Some free weights (dumbbells) and good quality benches, bikes, treadmills.

We also made use of the kids club a couple of times and Fiza was great with the kids. Unfortunately, its location is a bit far from the main hub and the nearest bar wasn't always open! When one of the children got upset, the staff escorted them back to our villa on a buggy, so rest assured they have their best interests at heart!

Overall, the Avani Goldcoast was good value and the recent improvements and potential for more are clearly visible. You won't regret your visit and if you're after relaxation, it's in abundance.

3 Thank Anthony F
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad to know that you had a great time with your family at the resort and enjoyed the spacious villa. We appreciate your feedback and well noted on your comments, and will be sure to upkeep to quality standards and service, thank you. Please be informed and we would like to invite you again to experience a further refurbished resort expected to complete in late November 2014. New additions would include 'Straits - The Art of Street Food', second pool and Kid's & Teen's Club. Please come again to enjoy more activities and extension of food varieties. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com, so we can best serve you prior to your next visit.

Thomas Fehlbier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have read a lot of negative comments at Avani that have left me wondering whether these folk stayed in the same property. Our family are five nights into a seven night stay, and it's been bliss. We're in villa 515 and have no complaints - the two bed, two bath plus study room has acres of room and is faultless. The bathrooms are enormous and luxurious, everything works. Our two teenagers have lapped up the free movies, and free wifi. We've devoured books and the vouchers we received have been put to great use.

The Chinese restaurant is particularly good and the staff there are very attentive, and welcoming.

The tip to enjoying your stay is be organised and book things in advance. We managed to use all 12 massage vouchers by booking a day or two ahead.

The beach outside the resort is worth a look - apparently there are some night markets there which we will check out again.

For 2000AUD the week has been a steal, and exceeded my family's expectations. We had four days of shopping in KL before Avani, so have lapped it up by doing very little.

Room Tip: Perahu restaurant has a buffet/show on sat nights, book spa treatments in advance
2 Thank 1310greg
Thank you, we appreciate your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed a relaxing holiday at AVANI and thank you for your positive feedback which will be shared among our associates to keep them inspired. We look forward to your next visit and would like to announce that the resort will begin refurbishment works in August and expected to complete towards the end of 2014. New additions would include 'Straits - The Art of Street Food', second pool and Kid's & Teen's Club. Please come again to visit a newly refurbished resort with more activities and food varieties. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit.

Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked this resort through Getaway when it was the Golden Palm Resort. I have to admit I was worried when I read the reviews on Trip Advisor but the resort has clearly been turned around since Avani took over. Yes it does seem a long way from anywhere but we managed to find lots to do over the 7 days that we stayed there. We booked the 2 bedroom villa (branch 8) almost at the end of the branch and it was perfect for us (2 adults and 2 kids ages 11 and 13) The villa itself was faultless, spacious, immaculately clean (and remained that way throughout our stay)
The food at all restaurants was good but I must make a special mention of Hai Sang Lou the Chinese Restaurant as they catered for my gluten intolerance and the food was amazing. The waitresses were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. I feel I need to comment on the bikes as I can't believe how petty some people are, as one reviewer commented we also turned it into a game, to see who could pinch the best bike from outside the other villas (yes that is allowed, they have a one way only policy!!) Some of them had flat tyres, broken seats or no brakes! My girls found it hilarious their 6ft.2 90kg father riding a pink bike with a basket around the resort.
We had a lot of fun and laughed a lot during our stay! And there was usually a buggy going up and down the trunk anyway but it was more fun to walk or bike it.The beach was fine, sure its not the Maldives but neither was the price! We tried paddle boarding and sailing and went on a guided bike ride where we stopped and fed the monkeys with some mangoes that our guide collected in a paddock on the side of the road. We did the Agriculture tour and the mangrove tour with Bella (tour guide) who is wonderful. She made the tours interesting and educational (bonus) and my kids loved her. The only negative thing I could say about the resort is the Limousine service really lets them down. They tried to charge us extra for the pick up from the Airport and to take us back to the airport was really expensive, they were really vague as well when we tried to book them to take us back to the airport which didn't leave me feeling confident. (booked a taxi instead with KLIA taxis) We did let the GM know this so I am confident there will be improvements in the future. We also spoke to someone about hiring a car so we could drive to Putrajaya and were given a car hire brochure from some place in Kuala Lumpar, it all got too confusing so we didn't worry about it. Then the day before we left we found out a couple had hired a car directly from the Limouisine service desk?? That option was never mentioned to us, I think maybe you had to get the right person to talk to or you were given a lot of misinformation.
Overall we had a great time at the resort and would definitely recommend it to families with kids.
It is not overly touristy and there are NO shopping centres. Sungai Pelek is the closest town and in hindsight I would have liked a bit more time (they only give you 50 minutes) to do a bit more exploring.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank mumof32014
ErwinV, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Having just arrived at this resort, I have taken my time to review past guest feedbacks, and I was glad to see your overall review of the hotel was a positive one!
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay on Tripadvisor, it gives me great insights in what our guests feel when staying at the resort, areas where we perform well, as well as certain areas where improvements can be targeted.

Rest assured that any positive feedback will be shared with the team for their positive encouragement, as well as constructive feedback utilized in the most positive sense to review opportunities.

We do hope to welcome you back to our resort in due time and remain at your disposal for assistance if so required.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

2 adults, 2 teenagers in two bedroom villa. Room was fantastic layout, if not a little odd ( the thatched roofs are very high, so the walls inside the room do not stretch all the way up. As such, there is no privacy for any...noisy activities). We had a room at the end of a "branch" which copped a lot of wind from the ocean. So beautiful views, but had to be moved one night at 1am as the roof started shedding thatch on us and our belongings.
The staff were friendly and helpful, try the batik and watersports down in the beach. The food was generally of good quality, not fantastic but ok for 4*. Lots of choice, mainly Chinese food like fried rice and noodles and soups, but also western food like sushi, pita and hummus, pizza and pasta.
The main let down was probably maintenance, everything could be a bit cleaner, plus the bikes that you use to get around the resort at in such bad condition it became a constant joke to see who got a bike that worked. It was fun though, you can also get a buggy to take you back to reception. But if you don't like walking 100m then don't stay here. Good for walking off the buffet food though!
In terms of location, it's 1.5hr bus ride to KL city. There is a free bus service that you can use to get to city and back again once a day. Must book in advance though.
Also free shuttle for one hour to nearby little town,get your laundry done there, you can do 3kg for about RM17. Not much else there, apart from a lovely Indian cafe that sells delicious roti and curry sauce for next to nothing. It's about 5shops down from the Nippon paint shop. Oh and quite possibly, the best KFC in the world is there. Try the cheesy wedges.
We booked using Internet deal, you get free meals and spas included. The spa was a let down, I get massages all over the world and this one was awful. The therapists just chatted amongst themselves for the whole time (I was in a double room with my daughter). I complained,and was offered a discounted body scrub the next day. That was pretty bad too, it toom about half an house, with no massage of moisturiser afterwards, just a pot of cream with the instruction to "rub in after you shower". Thanks love, isn't that what you're for??
Overall a fantastic deal for the price we paid. But would I go back and pay it all in full? No chance. Would go back with the same deal though.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Addicted2LV

Nuriootpa, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My 3 cousins and myself recently visited this resort back in May 2014. We had booked Luxury Accommodation which included many vouchers for the 4 of us. The resort itself was fantastic for what we wanted...total rest and relaxation. The villa was 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and was clean and extremely comfortable. Waking up in the mornings and viewing the water from your bedroom was simply amazing. The array of food was fantastic but probably for me the highlight was the incredible and super friendly staff that looked after us, if we had any concerns, questions or just because they are extremely warm and friendly people. I would particularly like to make mention of 4 staff members who certainly made our relaxing holiday the ultimate experience. Dilla who is a dancer but also the most amazing artist gave us beautiful henna tattoos and also painted me a beautiful Batik painting....she is just adorable. Wan who is one of the Food and Beverage employees who made sure every morning that we had a table for breakfast as this time of day is one of the busiest. Agan who is also a dancer and you can find him down at Smiley Beach and he has the most gorgeous smile. Last but not least is Eddy the pool supervisor who is funny, friendly and just loves looking after people. I am fortunate enough now to be friends with Dilla and Eddy on Facebook and we keep in touch often. So I now wish to thank them and all the other amazing friendly staff for their hospitality at Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort and that I will return one day...especially to see the new redevelopment of some amazing areas of the resort.

HIGHLY RECCOMMEND

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annie S
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are truly glad you experienced a comfortable stay and enjoyed the activities and entertainment at the resort. Thank you for your kind review and we will share your feedback among our associates especially Dilla, Wan, Agan and Eddy. We are glad you have heard of our refurbishment plans and look forward to your next visit. Please come again and do send me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com prior to your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

2 adults, 2 young children, all very happy. Accommodation was exceptional, we had a 2 bedroom villa, king size beds throughout, balcony, living on the water, great pool/ not huge but seems to accommodate the amount of people choosing to swim, lots of activities on the beach mostly free with a go-cart track which is great and very cheap. Kids club for parents sanity, great staff everywhere, a big range of restaurants the Chinese (Han San Lou) being the best and beautifully appointed. The only complaint was that cocktails were deliberately watered down across all bars as they cost the same as a beer. Tulasi a young lady attending the reception bar was the only bar person that knew her job, made excellent drinks and the most lovely of all and lots of people agreed.

Room Tip: It was a small cost to upgrade rooms. You really want to be on the palm fronds part of the accommoda...
1 Thank Tony L

Toronto
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Have you seen those beautiful aerial shots of the palm leaf? Yep, that’s how pretty it is. The hotel recently changed their ownership, so they are not the Gold Palm Tree anymore, but the name is still prevalent among the locals.

Getting there is actually pretty simple. If you are arriving from KL international airport, all you need is to buy a taxi token from a taxi counter for approximately MYR100-150 depending on the type of car you prefer. The taxi will take you there in about an hour depending on traffic.

You’ve probably seen the pictures by now, so you know the set up: the hotel consists of a collection of huts along the outstretched branches centered around a large clubhouse, which contains the restaurant, bar, spa and pool. The huts on the branches are nicer multi-bedroom units, the ones along the stem are four room two stories arrangements. We stayed along the stem in 109 on the second floor. We also checked the 127, but found it to be too close to the clubhouse with all the noise from the bar and kitchen exhausts.

The room was beautiful with the thatched ceiling, king size bed, large living space with many windows. There was also a sofa. The bathroom had the famous window shower, and, yes, they do have privacy shades in it. At night it does get fairly humid, so the air-conditioning is a must, although, with everyone’s ac on it does make it quite a noisy night.

The beach is located on shore at the base of the stem of the leaf. You can commute between the room / clubhouse / lobby / beach by flagging down a frequent golf-buggy or picking up a bike. Mind you, the bikes are quite old and often rusted. Keep in mind that the low tide here is between 10 am and 5 pm. This means that during the day there is no water at the beach. For that matter the water edge is all the way by the end of the palm leaf. It is kind of fun to walk on the seashore, but it does not leave much time for swimming at the actual beach. And when the water does come back it is usually pretty murky and uninviting. Beach-goers keep themselves occupied by riding blow carts (a cart with a sail), which is plenty of fun, but gets boring pretty quickly.

The pool is gorgeous. Although, it is not very large and does get very crowded. Food was delicious. The breakfast had every kind of Malay, Asian, Indian, European dish you may desire. For dinner a reservation is recommended. We tried to use spa, but it was fully booked. They recommend to pre-book the treatments online in advance. The staff was very helpful and always friendly. Although, the general maintenance was lacking. Free wifi seemed to be available virtually everywhere at the resort. The crowd was primarily Australian and Chinese. Do take advantage of the free shuttle to KL, they depart early in the morning and at 4 pm, reserve in advance as they get full.

Room Tip: Travellers' villas a cheaper. Ask for second floor and midway between lobby and clubhouse
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank E-Taimz
Thank you for your review in the TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed our spacious villa and beautiful view. We appreciate your feedback thank you, and will keep to maintaining quality standards. The nature of the location offers high and low tide experience and tide times differ daily. We are surrounded by the Mangrove River which defines the texture and color of the water and for the delight of guests, offer a unique Mangrove Tour. We are glad that you enjoyed our F&B selections and the pool and would like to announce that the resort will begin refurbishment works in August which is expected to complete in late November 2014. New additions would include 'Straits - The Art of Street Food', second pool and Kid's & Teen's Club. We would like to invite you again to visit a newly refurbished resort with more to do and extension of food varieties. Kindly, sent me an email at tfehlbier@minornet.com, so we can best serve you prior to your next visit.

Thomas Fehlbier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sepang
Grand Lexis Port Dickson
Tune Hotel KLIA 2
Tune Hotel KLIA 2
#4 of 13 in Sepang
Seri Malaysia Bagan Lalang Sepang

Been to AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort? Share your experiences!