We had a terrific break with family and friends. The Deals promotion made it great value and overall, our stay was pleasant, while not out of this world. Perhaps 4 or 5 nights would've been enough.
The accommodation was great. Probably the highlight. As a family with two young kids (3.5 and 2), the villa was ideal. Large, clean, comfortable. Beds large and bathrooms larger - quite luxurious!
The service was a bit lack lustre, and with a lot of staff in training it was a bit expected. All staff were friendly, just inexperienced and a bit clumsy which after a couple of days gets tiresome and frustrating. While reviews of a few months ago complained of not getting a drink for a while, the trouble now is more about not getting glasses, plates and tables cleared promptly or offered a follow up drink or two. The manager should challenge staff to up-sell more (can't believe I'm saying this). If there's ever a time when Aussies will accept the offer of another drink, it's when their sitting by a pool, the sun's out, there's nothing to do and nowhere else to go. Perhaps a bowl of chips or wedges? Who'd say no?!
Service was at a peak with Kamil at breakfast time. Super guy who showed plenty of initiative, patience and friendliness.
The food was average (but in no way bad). Again breakfast was a highlight with plenty to choose from and the Bila Bila buffet was surprisingly good too. The best meal came from the local open air fish barbecue restaurant about 300m west of the main entrance. Don't be off put by the flies; the fish, crabs, prawns and pippies are all fresh and cooked to perfection - and ultimately, bloody tasty - we fed 4 adults and 4 kids for about A$40.
Activities were rustic, but fun and plentiful - this was especially good for keeping kids amused. The "agri-tour" was good and worth a venture out of the resort. The main pool was good for all - kids could play in the shallow end safely, while we drank or swam at the other end. Smiley Beach was better than expected (based on previous reviews). A cool breeze and plenty of day beds made it better than the pool for the middle of the day - also, most activities centred around smiley beach, which worked well.
The vouchers for the day spa were appreciated and worthwhile without being mandatory. Not the greatest massage ever, but the spa facility is really nice.
The gym was good, if basic. Some free weights (dumbbells) and good quality benches, bikes, treadmills.
We also made use of the kids club a couple of times and Fiza was great with the kids. Unfortunately, its location is a bit far from the main hub and the nearest bar wasn't always open! When one of the children got upset, the staff escorted them back to our villa on a buggy, so rest assured they have their best interests at heart!
Overall, the Avani Goldcoast was good value and the recent improvements and potential for more are clearly visible. You won't regret your visit and if you're after relaxation, it's in abundance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort stretches out from the Sepang coastline, almost a kilometer into the sheltered waters of the Straits of Malacca with 392 luxuriously appointed over water villas that shape a palm tree. This new upscale resort offers guests a wide range of sports and entertainment activities as well as great food & beverage outlet selection. Located in the district of Sepang, in the southern part of the state of Selangor, AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort is a short 35 minute drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport. The resort is also conveniently located close to the Sepang International Circuit - home to the Malaysian leg of the F1 race. Inspired by Polynesian and Maldivian architecture, blended with contemporary Malaysian interior design, each over water villa showcases a range of features that will ensure you take full advantage of the relaxed comfort, knowing we have the details covered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Hotelopia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Palm Tree Iconic Hotel Sepang
- Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort And Spa