“A hidden paradise close to home”

Tanjong Jara Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dungun
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A hidden paradise close to home”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We are a group of bikers who wanted to spend our Valentine's Day somewhere romantic. Tanjong Jara was indeed the perfect Valentine gift from our partners. I just don't know where to start; Is it the courteous and charming staff, the gorgeous rooms, the five-star amenities, tasty food, beautiful beach landscape, ..? I could go on and on.
We often travel abroad looking for wonderful places to stay and just don't realise that with the same amount of money, beauty, serenity, and not forgetting luxury, is located very close to home.
Tanjong Jara is simply amazing, and one of my best local holiday spots. Will deifnitely go back, this time with my kids. Even though the sea is quite rough for a swim, am sure the kids will love the swimming pool, playing on the sand, and eating in the local restaurants outside the hotel. Food in hotel can get pretty expensive, but hey, just walk out and you will find some really mouth-watering food at stunningly affordable rates.

Room Tip: If you're there over the weekend, you get to experience 'Kampung Sucimurni', which is pr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
PhilippeCavory1966, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Greeting from Tanjong Jara,
I wish to thank you on behalf of our team for your kind comments, Tanjong Jara resort is indeed a romantic hotel which has beauty, serenity, and luxury close to home for all Malaysians and expatriates alike leaving in Kuala Lumpur and other beautiful parts of the country.
Our international clientele have mentioned to us the same attribute, so a big thank you again!
We hope to see you in a not too distant future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hmmh. We stayed here for a week expecting 5 star but it was not to be BUT there are some good points about it

We booked into a beach villa - yes you can see the beach (if you are on tip toes and you have binoculars). It is NOT a Beach villa in the true sense of the world as you are not on it and we decided that a garden villa was the same but cheaper in hind sight. But when you are the other side of the world you do not know.

The beach itself is lovely but if you want a drink in the hours that you are there make sure you have your own bottle of water as there are no staff, of if they finally turn up do be grateful. No bits of fruit etc...

The door to our villa (Beach Villa 402) and underwhelming did not close properly and the key was wobbly - the door was warped - and the first night after turn down service there were thousands of bugs and that was the way it was for the rest of the time we were there - 6 nights. We asked for a spray and were given it but frankly by this time we were disillusioned and had decided that this was not the 5 star resort that we had been promised. If the door is warped you would have thought they would have done something about it before we arrived but it looked as this had been there for a while and the inside of the villa needed sorting - burn marks on the desk and frankly it was not properly dusted upon arrival - it was not as if there was much to dust and for a 5 star I thought the room was lacking - frankly sparse and done on the cheap.. We asked for insect spray - and that was all we were given (and nobody bothered to ask why) . The first night we were invaded by flying ants and they were not only on the curtains but they were all over the towels, sheets and also in our bed. I know there are insects in the Far East but this was just unacceptable. I am not a peasant as I lived in the Far East.

Beach Villa - I had just suffered an injury so therefore I wanted to be on the beach but the beach villas are not on the beach and the way to the beach are via chipped, rough palm tree logs that are not accessible by 'invalids' like me. i had to crawl down the slope every day - how to make you feel good! The whole point was that I had suffered an injury and even though they were told that I needed invalid access the resort is not able to cope - and I thank my husband for having to spend the whole time leaning on me - I am 51 so not an invalid by choice but unfortunately I had had a nasty fall so had a gammy leg which made the way to the beach difficult - they should not advertise as beach villas when you have to crawl across a green and then go down felled logs.

But once on the beach it was quite lovely. No service on the beach as you would expect from a 5 star and at the end of the day it was not 5 star. Lack of attention to detail and the staff were not charming.

The first night in the restaurant was awful as we arrived on Saturday and it was half term and it seemed that half of Malaysia had come for the weekend so we were pretty unimpressed. Actually we were appalled as the restaurant had more tables than normal (we noticed tables disappeared subsequently) and the restaurant felt like a canteen and the service was truly awful. The next night was so much better when Chef Ann appeared (and apologised for the evening before but frankly that did not make up for the truly awful evening we had) and then the food became rather delicious as we told her we like spicy and what we like and suddenly the restaurant became this truly wonderful place - which also made the whole experience get better.

The service in the bar was incredibly slow during happy hour and whilst the staff were doing drinks we noticed they were also removing the towels from the pool which is just not on - serve drinks/do pool towels but do not make the ones at the bar have to watch the staff to the towels first before serving us - oh and then having long conversations amongst themselves.

This place needs management - not just the General Manager talking to one load of guests for half an hour which we noticed at breakfast. This places needs management and needs to sort itself out. Nice things about it but this is not a 5 star at all. Management needs to do what it says - manage and make the guest feel like the stars and love it and potentially go back. You can cater for the honeymooners but the the ones who are not honeymooners have the capacity to go back.

It could be so much better.

Given what we spent we need to be stroked, as do all clients.

Guests in May 2013.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else until they improve.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilippeCavory1966, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience at our resort, please accept my heartfelt apologies for our poor responses to your need.

We have experience difficulties with our services yes, as we are in an hiring exercise right now to increase the number of employees working at the resort.

The resort was closed for two months last year for some renovation, unfortunately due to difficult weather conditions we were not able to complete the project, we are still in the process of finishing these renovations, as for the mosquitoes you are right being surrounded by a jungle it can be a nuisance. We are fumigating once a week and so far we have not received major complains, saying that we are in the process of putting mosquitoes sprays in all rooms and as well looking into placing permanent mosquitoes nets on the beds as well as sliding doors with nets.

We do have 2 Anjun rooms right on the beach, I will check with our reservation department why this was not mentioned to you, I do agree with you that the resort is not fully accessible to persons with special needs due to the various slops and hills.

Services on the beach will be remedied madam, thank you. We do have a lot of Malaysian clienteles patronizing our hotel yes, they are welcomed with open arms at Tanjong Jara Resort as our international clientele. The mix of guests is really nice and the interaction of different cultures superb! I agree with you that Chef Ann is amazing, I thank you for your comments as it will help us improve our self.

I have just arrived at the resort on 10th February and I assure you that on your next visit you will see improvements. I do see my guests in the morning, thank you for noticing. I agree with you that the resort needs more than that, the good news is that we are fully aware of our letdowns and we will improve ourselves in the months to come.

I do hope to see you soon at Tanjong Jara resort

Warm regards
Philippe
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was our first holiday as newbies to Malaysia and it wont be long before we revisit. Everything about the weekend was great. We drove over from KL and arrived a bit early for check in but that didnt matter as we were shown immediately to our room. All weekend the staff were friendly, polite and very kind to our little boy.

We went for the Serambi room and though it wasnt sea facing we did have a view of the sea along with the gardens. The room was spacious and well appointed and they had made up the day bed for our son which had curtains on either side so he felt like he was sleeping in a tent.

As we had gone for the bed and breakfast option we were pleasantly surprised to find the food and drink prices to be reasonable and no more than if we were eating out in KL in equivalent places - definately not what i would have called 'resort' prices. We ate at the Nelayan which is situated by one of the pools and facing the beach a couple of times. Lovely food - lovely service (and fab cocktails). We also had a fabulous meal in the main restaurant Di Atas Sungei - and got to meet the famous 'Chef Ann'. (They can organise a babysitter for you - if you ask in advance).

As we were just there for the weekend we didnt explore but just spent our time by the pool and beach. Both of which were wonderful. Sadly the sea was off limits as it was too rough for swimming but we were still able to have a paddle and the beach was perfect for sandcastle making. We will definately be going again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Upsides - Fantastic staff, tranquil location, beautiful beach, fantastic surroundings, good food and great room.

Downsides - Couldn't swim in the sea (not the resort's fault) and lots of mosquitoes in our room on the first night (they really went to town on me until I hunted them all down).

Overall a wonderful experience. We booked last minute and only stayed for a night - but wish it could have been longer. The staff were really, really excellent and friendly - a lot more than we have usually found in Malaysian resorts. The buffet breakfast was also great.

Excellent service from the moment we arrived. Hope to go back sometime.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were at the for a week and stayed in the Anjung Suite. We took a prepaid taxi right from the airport which can be found on the left side of the ground floor just as we came down the escalator. The trip was MYR100 (plus tips) and is the best way to reach the resort as public transport is very limited in this part of Malaysia. We were greeted the the gong and shown to our suite by a pleasant staff. The Anjung suite was very spacious and very well located on the river(more like a brook). There was attempts to get the water flowing but we couldn't help feel that the water was a bit stagnant. The suite was pretty huge with a very good view of the sunrise and in my opinion is an overkill. We also had an opportunity to try the Anjung room and we were very happy with the size and facility provided in that as well. The beds are really good and comfortable, and there are quite a few activities to do at the resort which is displayed up on the board at the reception and changes daily.

There was a good Malay village feel abut the resort, but there were quite a few items that were not up to the luxurious standard that we are used to at a 5 star resort. The breakfast was lukewarm and a bit repetitive. This resort is in the middle of a jungle area and there are plenty of wildlife in this area. We found a couple of dead snakes on the road side when we went for a walk to the Ceebee Wee restaurant and there are plenty of lizards and monitors roaming the ground. We had a couple of instances in which we found lizards in our room and if these animals isn't your cup of tea, this is not the place to stay. They put mosquito repellent in our rooms and for the large part, we were mosquito free.

The reason this place is still 5 star is undoubtably because of their staff. The place is filled staff like the Captain who does the morning exercise and almost everyone we met were extremely nice, courteous, pleasant people. A special mention goes to Jasmin, the manager at reception and Grier Black, the Spa manager who easily went the extra mile and then some more to accommodate 2 fussy travellers. We could easily spend hours talking to them and we even have them on our Facebook now. Nothing was ever too much for these both if I ever went back to this place, it would be to catch up with them rather than to stay at the resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
malaysia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Its been 2 years since our last visit here and its still as good if not better. This time we stayed in the Serambi Rooms sea facing. Service was excellent and food was fantastic. I would define food as wholesome and simple. They ensure that the food is not too oily or salty. Breakfast was good. Lunch was fantastic. Mr Hisham never fails to attend to our needs. Dinner was equally good. Try the steam boat at Teratai. Its really good and the seafood were fresh and abundance.
Will definitely be back again. Hopefully with more friends and family.

Room Tip: Choose the sea facing rooms. Its worth the extra money.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank beachbummalaysia
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Let's start with the nicest things in this resort. It is the beach ! The most relaxing beach resort I've ever been. I think because of the location that made somehow the breeze is really cooling even during the hottest time in the afternoon. There are a lots and lots of beach bed that you can lie all day long doing nothing ! The staffs are friendly too ! And the kampung life experiences is brilliant !
However I think the resort itself is not properly maintained e.g. The pool is a bit dirty especially the adult pool, the room & the bathtub etc. need proper maintenance. Too many falls leaves scattering around somehow made the whole resort look messy and tired. The garden not properly maintained, they should have plant more trees and flowers rather than leaving the so many empty spot that look barren. The whole ambiance make the resort lost it 5 star feeling. May be we went during the time just after the monsoon season but ... Anyway I hope they will put an effort to upgrade the facilities !

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Greetings from Tanjong Jara resort,
Thank you for your nice comments, we do receive a lots of great comments about our employees. We just came out of a two months renovation and the monsoon, I agree with you that the gardens need attention and it will be done.
A lot of areas need cleaning too, due to the dust and debris left behind by the contractors. We will remedy all of these in the next two weeks, we will add more flower trees and cover the empty spot that look barren. We will regain our 5 stars feeling shortly, thank you again as all your comments are spot on!
I see that you truly love our resort, we hope to see you again in a not too distant future....
Warm regards
Philippe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungun
The Qamar Paka, Terengganu
#6 of 10 in Dungun
Rumbia Resort Paka
Rumbia Resort Paka
#1 of 2 in Paka

Been to Tanjong Jara Resort? Share your experiences!