I spent 3 nights at TJR. The experience was very pleasant. The reason why I did not rate TJR higher is because for the prices charged, I expected a much higher level of service and professionalism.
Here's what I really liked about TJR:
1. The location along a stretch of clean and tranquil beach is excellent. You can take a 2-hour walk up and down that stretch of beach and come across a small cave and a small ship-wreck which makes of interesting photo moments. Both the beach and the waters are clean and very inviting.
2. Quality of activities provided was fantastic. I went for the snorkelling trip to Tenggol Island and the Turtle Watch. Both were very good, with knowledgeable and passionate guides. I saw a number of turtles making their way up the beach to lay eggs, and actually did manage to see one turtle actually laying her eggs. To see that right before my eyes was amazing.
3. The rooms and infrastructure around the resort are brilliant. There are other reviews recommending specific rooms, but I do think that you'll have a good night's rest and stunning views from most of the rooms.
Now, here's what I think could be improved:
1. Quality and professionalism of service. Don't get me wrong - the staff at TJR are extremely friendly, courteous and they try very very hard to please. But there is a line to be drawn between being just friendly and being professional, in the manner of a 5-star luxury resort. The staff at the restaurant approached my table with some trepidation, like they were afraid to say hello, take orders or offer a refill of my glass. They are slow at explaining how the menu works. There is little in the way of independent thinking and value-added service, eg they don't offer any recommendations on the menu. They stand with clipboard waiting to take my order. Except for Chef Ann and a gentleman named Hisham, none of the staff actually ENGAGE in a helpful dialogue. On our last morning, a young lady approached me at the breakfast table, with a huge camera round her neck and a notebook/clipboard in hand, clearly looking for customer comments/feedback...but what a way to do so, and at a rather inconvenient time. Even after saying that it was an interruption to my breakfast, the young lady only apologised and continued to ask questions. She was sweet and courteous and trying to do her job, but I felt she didn't have the presence or personality to be tasked with approaching customers for feedback. I also felt that giving her genuine feedback would have been wasted as she is too junior to do anything about it except to report back.
2. The buffet spread at breakfast can definitely be improved. On three occasions, I saw a swarm of flies settling on the fruit and on the hard-boiled eggs left uncovered on the tables. In a setting like TJR, insects are to be expected but certainly not on the breakfast buffet. This is basic hygiene and should be sorted out.
So all in all, I give TJR an 'average' rating as they charge luxury 5-star prices but don't follow-through with the expected standards. Still, I enjoyed my stay, but probably will not be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by palm fringed, emerald seas, Tanjong Jara Resort is a sanctuary of luxury and well-being steeped in the unmistakable grace of age-old Malay traditions. Here, in the comfort of a room furnished in local timber and rich fabrics, guests are lulled by the sighs of waves and the warm tropical breeze. The award-winning architecture of this resort reflects the elegance and grandeur of 17th century Malay palaces, offering an authentic taste of the region’s spirit and an enduring embodiment of gentle Malay arts and hospitality. Seamlessly integrated with the resort is the Spa Village, dedicated to combining the therapeutic properties of natural local ingredients and the innate healing practices of the area, providing a special, restorative experience. Guests can choose to experience an eco-adventure river cruise, explore teeming coral reefs or browse in a night market. Whatever the activity, every breath is pure refreshment, a relaxation of the soul, a pure journey of revival. In Malay we call this Sucimurni, in Malaysia it is Tanjong Jara Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tanjong Jara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanjong Jara Hotel Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Resort Terengganu, Malaysia - Dungun