Maafushivaru
US$307
US$555
US$542
  • Breakfast included
Sun Island Resort and Spa(Nalaguraidhoo Island)
US$1,125
US$153
  • Pool
US$630
US$492
  • Breakfast included
Vakarufalhi Island Resort(Vakarufalhi Island)
US$375
US$331
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
US$886
  • Pool
LUX* South Ari Atoll(Dhidhoofinolhu Island)
US$633
US$440
Hotels.com
Constance Moofushi(Moofushi Island)
US$1,212
  • Breakfast included
Lily Beach Resort & Spa(Huvahandhoo Island)
US$1,198
US$1,037
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsour waiterbeach villasister islandwhale sharksmarine biologistfishsmall islandour honeymoonno shoesall inclusive packagebar staffprivate islandsea planemain restaurantteppanyaki restaurantisland toursun loungers
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We wanted a relaxing break away and so thought we would go back to the Maldives and we certainly made the right decision.
The weather was gorgeous,the water villa was lovely, the food was excellent and the staff were really helpful.
We were saved by Mohammed and he always had a lovely smile for you and remembered what your names was and what you liked to drink. Amunil n the bar was also lovely and remembered our drinks each night.
We dined in the Teppanyki Restaurant which was lovely but very filling - don't eat anything beforehand. We dined with a lovely couple, Adam and Thea and had a great night.
Hubby went on the big game fishing trip and they caught two sailfish, wahoo and a tuna. They barbecued it in the evening for everyone to enjoy and we spent a lovely evening with Matt and Fatima who had caught the other fish. Thanks to Matt for the Long Island tea drinks for Steve- he really enjoyed them!
The whale shark trip was good but be careful of the boats and the sea is quite rough and so you need to be a good swimmer.
I would recommend this to anyone looking to have a luxury chilling holiday. Go all inclusive.
Val

Room Tip: Odd number water villas lose the sun in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Val P
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This was our fifth trip to the Maldives and (bearing in mind always that we had married since the previous visit) by far the best. Our stay overlapped with that of the last reviewer, who certainly looked as if he was enjoying himself (as did his good lady).
At 93 km from Male a speedboat transfer is out of the question, and so a spectacular view of the islands is the warmup to arrival. Glorious contrasting deep blues in which somone has taken a pale yellow magic marker to freehand rings and loops, then filled in the centres in pale blue. Stunning.
The island is pretty small (circumabulation takes a leisured 10 minutes or so), and houses only 100 guests. They were 80% occupancy when we arrived; about 50% of these were either invisible or bedridden! We did notice that quite a few guests remained fashionably pale...
Common areas were beautifully appointed, the island having had a complete refit some 2 years ago. Pale carpets about 3" deep through reception and the bar. Oh. The wife tells me it was sand... really wore no shoes the entire time. Free wifi in the coffee shop, reception and bar caters for the email and wifi addicts - so the no news bit didn't happen. They'll rent you a laptop for $10US an hour if you need it - or if you only want to check your emails they'll let you use one of the reception computers for a few minutes foc. Kind.
One thing about the combination of the all inclusive package and shoelessness is a propensity for serious toe damage in the dark. This rather restricted my ability to put on shoes anyway - or for that matter fins! The latter turned out not to matter a great deal as I had forgotten my dive ticket. You can't dive without one (wonder if this applies to those taking a first PADI course?) and even after getting my best man to drive from Somerset to London, find my ticket, scan it and email it to me the Illustrious Divemaster still was unconvinced. So we had the other side of the ticket scanned... still no good! "Should have a number on it". Not in 1993 they didn't! An email from my certifying instructor and Tim's best efforts with the dive school directors were similarly ineffective. After 8 days NAUI finally confirmed that I was legit (only 175 dives, so a bit ropey. And I hadn't been underwater for 3 weeks) but by that time I was still hobbling and frankly too laid back to care.
I hit the Whale Shark safari with rather more luck than Alastair and Rowena.. first one I have ever seen. Made me realise how feeble snorkelling can be when trying to keep up with a big beast! 2m waves outside the Atoll made reboarding quite entertaining, but the dolphins turtles and flying fish we saw on the way back made up for that.
The rooms are excellent and very spacious. Villas 120 and 121 sit between a short pontoon and the access to the waterbungalows, and have a very pretty and almost private beach right in front of them. Very rare to have people walk past; maybe once or twice a day.
Five minutes walk from the Water Bar and infinity pool and one minute from the Japanese outfit (NOT part of the AI deal. They give you a 20% discount on drinks though... some naughty people got away with taking a carafe of wine from the Water Bar. Well, I mean... The food in the main restaurant is typical Maldivian service, with a buffet menu that rotates over 7 days. The charming breakfast/griddle chef oversees a variety of stir fries, chicken/prawn skewers, fish etc. and usually a vat of five chili curry. If your taste is for pasta or shephers pie you won't be disappointed either! One of the best meals I had was a fillet steak which was astonishingly tender. Can't remember what I had with it - it was so mindblowingly good the sides were erased.. On Mondays we went Maldivian and the choice of local dishes was manifold and highly enjoyable, if dumbed down a little to protect tender europalates.. personally I like chili in my breakfast omlette.
The staff were attentive and welcoming; Kuoni rep Nicole (Papa?) quite outstanding. She handed over to Neve (Niamh) after a week or so who is keeping up the good work. Fluent in French and Oirish too ! My only moan on the staff front was that we clearly got the laziest roomboy on the Atoll. This was reflected in his tip however, so he will no doubt seek to improve.
Tim "The Boss" is an erudite and clubbable manager, who sadly went off with wife & family for a holiday in Thailand half way through our stay. He hosted a very pleasant drinks party and apart from his inexplicable interest in the round ball game proved very pleasant company. Cheers Boss! The Honeymmon package featured a splendid four course dinner on the beach, surrounded by flame and keenly attended by Adam, who seemed to enjoy opening the fizz "Do you need Pop?" Oh - there was also a 1/2 hour complimentary jetlag massage. (un)fortunately the Memsahib is not into being massaged by strangers, so I had to have the whole hour..... On the whole a highly enjoyable trip; if only the monsoon could have blown over a little quicker we would have been not far short of perfect. We will be back!

Room Tip: We'd recommend 120/121 as they open straight onto the beach in a low traffic area.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank anthonyrickard
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We went to the resort after being recommended by the tour operator (this was actually my second choice). This was the relaxing week of our honeymoon after spending one week already travelling around a small portion of Sri Lanka. We were definitely looking forward to spending a relaxing week at the picturesque resort.
Everything from arrival at Male to the transfers onto the sea plane went smoothly and without a hitch. We were invited to wait in the resorts VIP lounge at the sea plane terminal where there was soft drinks and snacks provided.
The seaplane journey was an experience not to be missed. You get a wonderful view of all the islands around the Maldives and I would recommend to anyone going to the Maldives to find a resort where you need a sea plane transfer.
The seaplane lands on a pontoon a few hundred metres from the resort where you are then picked up by a boat from the resort.
Check in was smooth and the rep Nicole introduced herself. We were shown to our water villa room which was large, spacious, clean and to a high standard. The only downside was the decking did not get much sun. We asked whether we could have a room on the other side (even numbered rooms) and we were changed immediately with no fuss. Very impressed with the service. The room was of the same style and a minibar filled twice a day. It was fantastic not only to have a deck with sun loungers but also to have steps leading right down into the sea.
The resort itself is small with idyllic beaches and excellent snorkelling and a dive centre. They also have the advantage of having a marine biologist on the islands who takes you on a free snorkelling tour of the house reefs. We also had two dives with the resort dive centre. Very nice dives but our experienced was somewhat soured by the dive centre. Long story short they tried to charge me for a dive computer that went missing. They came to collect the computers and I was told that it was logged back in. It was only a day later that I was told it actually was not logged back in and I would be charged. But at the end this was dealt with by Tim ( the resort manager).
There is plenty to do on the island with daily evening entertainment and daily snorkelling trips. We went on the whale shark trip and snorkelled with 3 whale sharks!!! There are also daily free transfer to the sister island Lonobu for a change of scenery with similarly lovely beaches.
The food was all buffet style with different themes every day served in the main dining area. Previous reports have criticised the food, but to be honest we thought it was pretty impressive. The bar and drinks menu was extensive and the majority covered in the all inclusive package.
Also as part of the honeymoon package there was also a four course meal on the beach FANTASTIC!
Overall I cannot fault the resort or the staff at the resort. Our week was perfect and we were glad that we stayed here instead of the original resort I had planned to book. Would recommend this place to anyone and would definitely consider returning!!!

Room Tip: Even numbered water villas get more sunlight on the decking.
Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CKHuang
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

We went to Maafushivaru for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was great in offering us a complimentary anniversary package which included a private dinner, spa and sparkling wine - without us asking for it at all. The private dinner was set on the beach and the waiter was very attentive, even making a pair fishes out of woven fishes for us. We chose to have the wine in our water villa on the last evening whilst enjoying the beautiful sunset. All in all, a great wedding anniversary.

Wedding anniversary aside, the hotel is a nice balance of relaxation and activity. You can choose how you prefer your holiday.

The exursions available for the week are posted on the notice board and you simply sign up for it. Very easy. Tip: a underwater camera is a must! You would want to record the turtles etc that you meet!

Snorkel masks and fins are provided by the hotel since we were all inclusive. Tip: upon check in, ask for mask and fin straight away to cut a trip back to the reception. That way you can start snorkeling from your water villa immediately which I assure you would want to do upon seeing the gorgeous water

Snorkeling is good in both the hotel and sister lonubo island. Tip: For hotel, best snorkelling is near the jetty. For Lonubo, bring your own water and beach towel. The island has nothing and limited deck chairs

Food-wise, the buffet selection is reasonable. Good and not so good dishes which was expected as they need to cater to different tastes. Tip: coffee in room via the espresso machine is better than the dining area. If you ask your waiter, he will help pack some dessert for you to bring to your room. Very nice option

Room is big and spacious. The toiletries are
L'occitane and very nice. They don't provide toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver though do bring your own or buy from gift shop in hotel which sells a toothbrush for 3 usd and toothpaste for 4 usd if I remember correctly. Tip: the edges of the bed are sharp so just take a small towel to cover it. Your room attendant will continue to do the sand once he notice you doing that

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Sunshine_Cotton
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Just returned home after 10 wonderful days at Maafushivaru, it was perfect holiday. Truly beautiful island with fluorescent blue water lagoon and soft pure white sand and the sunsets - Wow!
enjoyed lots of snorkelling, reefs are pristine saw turtles, rays, reef sharks and lots of jewelled coloured tropical fish. Stayed in beach villa just steps away from the water, very comfortable with very effective air con.

Food was fresh and varied, we never got bored as they do their utmost to provide something for everyone. wine in our opinion was excellent. My husband drinks red and I white, both very acceptable.
Staff were amazing, they just couldn't do enough for you, special praise to the waiters the brilliant bar staff. Tried the Spa which was excellent, situated over the water very relaxing and would recommend the massages. We would go back in a heartbeat, one of life's special times never to be forgotten.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple