I suppose this review is a little belated as we visited Maafushivaru during the first week of June 2012. We traveled on an all-inclusive package (highly recommended) and stayed in one of the beach bungalows. This was the second time that we'd been to the Maldives. While, the first trip was good, there is simply no comparison to what we experienced at Maafushivaru. The island is just breath-taking! I could not have asked for a more relaxing holiday in a more beautiful destination.
Travelling there in June, we were a little concerned about the rainy season but our one week stay was hardly interrupted by rainfall. There were short bursts of heavy rainfall on a few occasions in the late afternoon or evening but it was clear skies for the most part. It's also worth mentioning that there is always a lovely breeze which makes the temperatures so much more bearable and pleasant. It's a dream.
The island is tiny but as other visitors have commented, you get a great sense of privacy. At times we felt like we were the only ones there, even though judging from the number of people present at meal times, the resort was quite full.
The beach bungalows are very spacious with plenty of storage space. The rooms are beautifully decorated; minimal and elegant with an airy, modern feel. Beds are huge and very comfortable. Our room was serviced twice a day and kept pristine by the wonderful room boy. There is a brilliant outdoor as well as an indoor shower. The bathrooms are kept well stocked with L'Occitane toiletries and equipped with a good hairdryer so no need to bring your own. Each room is also equipped with a flat screen TV (with a choice of English speaking channels), DVD player and iPod dock which is a nice touch even if the time spent in your room is likely to be minimal!
Maafushivaru is perfect for snorkeling! It has an amazing house reef with multitudes of fish! There are also plenty of different excursions organised by the resort (most at a small extra cost). In hindsight, having been on two snorkeling trips, there is no real need to pay to go on these excursions as the house reef is so rich and full of all kinds of brilliant marine life.
Overall, the food was okay for an all-inclusive package. Not amazing but plenty of choice, you won't go hungry! We tried the teppanyaki restaurant on the island for a change. While the food was good and the chef friendly it was rather overpriced (as one may expect being on an island in the Indian ocean).
All service staff from room boys to front desk deserve credit for doing a great job. We had a very early return flight and were a little worried about the transfer to the airport via seaplane but everything was seamless.
I can quite comfortably say that this was by far one of the best holidays we have been on. Even though we prefer to go somewhere different and see something new on our holidays we would make the exception and come back to Maafushivaru. In fact I long to return!
The one thing we never understood was the whole entire special event they held once a week dedicated to 'Meeting Tim' :p
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reached by a picturesque flight over the mysterious atolls of the Maldives, Maafushivaru is a quiet island knitted with lush flora surrounded by pure white sandy beaches and incredible turquoise lagoon. Next to the resort is the tiny desert island of Lonubo, exclusive to Maafushivaru guests. A visit to this beautiful island is a must. You can choose from daily visits for basking in the sun and snorkeling the beautiful reef, or ultimately book to stay overnight, an island just for you and your beloved, even if only for a night. Slumber at your choice of three distinct villas. Beach Villas are sited on postcard perfect beaches whilst the Water Villas are built on stilts over the Indian Ocean providing sunset and sunrise vistas that will be forever etched in your memory. For a fun filled holiday, the Pool Villa is the right pick for families or friends travelling together, featuring two separate villas with a shared pool. Summon the bon vivant inside of you with the delectable fare. Cuisine Gallery showcases a potpourri of dishes from all over the world. While 135° East is your key for an authentic Japanese cuisine displaying the art of teppanyaki and the hibachi steakhouse. Sip favourite sunset cocktails at Water Bar with eclectic evening entertainment ranging from Maldivian evenings, to laser shows and disco nights under the starlit sky. Located on the water’s edge, instill a sense of calm and quietude at the Spa with signature product line Voya focusing on healing therapies and rituals. Explore rich underwater life on the house reefs of Maafushivaru and Lonubo, where fish teem and corals bloom colourfully. Dive with whale sharks and mantas in famed spots down south. Discover the epitome of Maldives – Maafushivaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/Southern Ari Atoll