Maafushivaru under-promised and over-delivered. We chose Maafushivaru after a lot of research for our honeymoon. Needless to say, we went in with high expectations, which were constantly met or surpassed (we subsequently went to one of the top rated Maldives resorts, which was good but did not match up to our experience here).
We had a very warm reception on arrival from the seaplane (note that this is a mandatory $300 expense per person for the roundtrip as the island is about 25 mins by plane from the airport). Hats off to Lailanie and her staff for organizing such a reception.
Special mention goes to the rest of the staff as well who were extremely friendly, likable and helpful. The gentleman at the buffet grill would gladly cook my wife a nice vegetarian pasta at her request. The head chefs took good care and spent time identifying vegetarian foods and desserts that she could have without concerns. Shaan, our host for the candelight dinner, delighted us time and again with small surprises during the course of our dinner.
The island itself is small but has a serene, beautiful and romantic setting - very picturesque and a true tropical island paradise. We saw couples for the most part, many of whom were about our age. Our water villa was beautiful and was well designed from a comfort and aesthetic standpoint. We stayed in villa 217 (sunset villa) which we thought was fabulous - had a nice view and a lot of privacy, with a distant glimpse of the island. The house reef was good and we enjoyed our snorkel/swimming there. I would highly recommend taking the complimentary daily trip to the sister island - an awesome opportunity for a photo session with your significant other!
Our only quibble was that we had to check out early in the morning to make it to our second resort, and an alternative could not be arranged. But I suppose this is understandable as seaplanes have to abide by tight schedules and budgets as well (they try to pool as many people from neighboring islands / atolls to minimize costs).
All in all - we spent 5 days there, which we felt was short as we barely got to know the place, but those were days well spent. We highly recommend this beautiful resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reached by a picturesque flight over the mysterious atolls of the Maldives, Maafushivaru is a quiet island knitted with lush flora surrounded by pure white sandy beaches and incredible turquoise lagoon. Next to the resort is the tiny desert island of Lonubo, exclusive to Maafushivaru guests. A visit to this beautiful island is a must. You can choose from daily visits for basking in the sun and snorkeling the beautiful reef, or ultimately book to stay overnight, an island just for you and your beloved, even if only for a night. Slumber at your choice of three distinct villas. Beach Villas are sited on postcard perfect beaches whilst the Water Villas are built on stilts over the Indian Ocean providing sunset and sunrise vistas that will be forever etched in your memory. For a fun filled holiday, the Pool Villa is the right pick for families or friends travelling together, featuring two separate villas with a shared pool. Summon the bon vivant inside of you with the delectable fare. Cuisine Gallery showcases a potpourri of dishes from all over the world. While 135° East is your key for an authentic Japanese cuisine displaying the art of teppanyaki and the hibachi steakhouse. Sip favourite sunset cocktails at Water Bar with eclectic evening entertainment ranging from Maldivian evenings, to laser shows and disco nights under the starlit sky. Located on the water’s edge, instill a sense of calm and quietude at the Spa with signature product line Voya focusing on healing therapies and rituals. Explore rich underwater life on the house reefs of Maafushivaru and Lonubo, where fish teem and corals bloom colourfully. Dive with whale sharks and mantas in famed spots down south. Discover the epitome of Maldives – Maafushivaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/Southern Ari Atoll