“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Maafushivaru

Maafushivaru
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Southern Ari Atoll
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The most unbelievable, amazing and unforgettable 10 days of my life. From the minute we arrived we were met by the welcoming and friendly staff that have a clear love for the Maldives and Maafushivaru. The reception staff were always happy to help.
We stayed in a beach villa and could not of been happier. The villa was beautiful and it was a lovely surprise to see the islands wildlife right on our doorstep.
The house reef was a fantastic place for snorkelling and I couldn't believe the thousands of colourful fish and corals surrounding me. As well as the many rays and sharks that made various appearances. I was also lucky enough to meet Nemo :)
The snorkelling excursion to see turtles was an unforgettable experience. The staff were extremely helpful and their love and knowledge of the ocean was great to see. The staff went out of their way to get great photographs of the turtles on the trip for us to put on our memory sticks and online which made it even more special. Thank You!
The other trip we went on was the island tour on Dhigura. This was a great experience as we got to see how the locals live and how different their lives are from ours back in England. An eye-opening trip.
We also went on the sunset cruise. We were blessed with great weather and were lucky enough to see dolphins. I have waited 22 years to see dolphins so again, another unforgettable experience.
The dhoni staff were always friendly, polite and happy to help.
The food on maafushivaru was unbelievable. I have never seen so much food in my life! It was difficult to decide what to eat as there was such a wide variety and it was always delicious. The chefs that were in the restaurant were always friendly and extremely proud of their culinary creations!
The bar staff and waiters were all so lovely and friendly! I will never know how they memorise the extensive drinks menu. The cocktails were beautiful and the staff made them exactly how i like them. We wish we could bring all the lovely staff back to England with us as we miss them all so much and they make the island really special :)
The entertainment each night was also fantastic. A great way to meet new people and learn about maldivian culture. My favourite night was the maldivian night, the staff were all fabulous and enthusiastic!

I would like to say a special Thank You to all the bar staff for being so wonderful! You never failed to make me smile. Abdullah for being so happy and taking the time to talk to all the guests... Also his fantastic dancing on maldivian night. The chefs also deserve a huge Thank You for the endless wonderful meals! Making my own pot noodle just isn't the same :(

Thank You everybody at Maafushivsru for making our holiday such a life changing, wonderful experience! We miss you all so much and hope to come back soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank LaurenDaisy91

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have just reurned from a stay on this magical island I. I wanted to go somewhere special with my daughter.and this seemed like a dream destination. I had read reviews before I went and was expecting something special. Maafushivaru far exceeded those expectations. From the moment we arrived we realised how truly beautiful this island is. All of the staff were friendly, helpful and always smjiling - nothing wa too much trouble for them. The food was amazing with plenty of variety and beautifully cooked and presented.. The beach bar staff were amazing and mixed the most wonderful cocktails and we were alwasys served with smiles as well as drinks.

We stayed in a beach villa and were delighted with the room and the facilities. The outdoor shower was amazing and we didnt use the inside one once during out stay. The beds were very comfortable and the air conditionning was a blessing at night.

Having never snorkelled before, my daughter absolutely loved it. The ocean around the island is teeming with sea life and even if you don't want to snorkel you can still see fish and turtles in quite shallow water. We were lucky enough to see dolphins on our sunset cruise and that was an amazing moment for us both.

The sunsets are so beautiful they are almost beyond belief. Our favourite sunset was when we were sitting at the far end of the infinity pool and watching it set through the palm trees.

The entertainment was varied but my personal favourites were Maldivian night where you are given an insight into the history and culture of the Maldives alongside their amazing music and dancing and Saturday night with the awsome solo entertainer. You will not be disappointed at this young mans talents - his saxophone playing is truly brilliant.
I could probably goon for hours about this stunning island but in reality it is even better than words can describe. - words and pictures do not do it justice.

Although it is hard to separate the amazing staff I do have some special mentions to make. Firstly to Salim who explained the logistics of this tiny island to me. I really enjoyed his island tour He was a pleasure to talk to.

Aminul is next - his never-ending smiles and sense of fun while working hard at the bar was a joy. I shall miss his sense of humour and his amazing cocktails more than I can say.

Next is Abdullah - what can I say about Abdullah that has not already been said. he is a very special young man and his love and knowledge of this island positively shine from him. Our holiday would not have been the same without him.

Finally Tim - who manages this little bit of paradise. you do a wonderful jon and I will never forget the kamikazes on the beach!

Room Tip: We stayed in 128 and it was perfect for us - just a few metres from the bar, pool and restaurnat and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Janice J
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I never leave reviews for anything these days, but the holiday that my family and I experienced at Maafushivaru certainly deserves one. What an AMAZING place! The accommodation is excellent, truly 5* and everything you hope it will be: private outdoor showers, beautiful polished concrete and wood bathrooms, views of the ocean and sunsets out the window, and emperor sized beds. What more could you wish for! The food was out of this world with a huge and varied selection for everyone. We all ended up eating far too much! The pool, bar, health spa and general entertainment are incredible, although I did think the health spa was a little bit expensive. However, the beauty of this island truly shocks you when you arrive, and stays with you when you leave. MOST importantly though, better than the crystal blue sea and beautiful coral reefs, the cocktails, the food and laughter, the little crabs on the beach....nothing about this paradise on earth beets the staff. What an unbelievably friendly and genuinely kind team of people. They make this place what it is. Unbelievably accommodating to all our needs and strange requests. Always smiling and chatty and full of enthusiasm. I promised you all I would write a review, so here it is! I just want to thank you all again for such an amazing time. I only hope that some people read this and find it useful. Oh, and if anyone is reading this and trying to find a place to have their weeding, I highly recommend it. My sister was married on the little island right next to Maafushivaru and it was incredible. They accommodated everything we needed and it was more magical than we could ever have thought possible. Thanks again to the Maafushivaru team! We will try and come back. Tom Eden x

Room Tip: The shared group huts for larger groups are amazing! Highly recommend.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Tom E
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Maafushivaru under-promised and over-delivered. We chose Maafushivaru after a lot of research for our honeymoon. Needless to say, we went in with high expectations, which were constantly met or surpassed (we subsequently went to one of the top rated Maldives resorts, which was good but did not match up to our experience here).

We had a very warm reception on arrival from the seaplane (note that this is a mandatory $300 expense per person for the roundtrip as the island is about 25 mins by plane from the airport). Hats off to Lailanie and her staff for organizing such a reception.

Special mention goes to the rest of the staff as well who were extremely friendly, likable and helpful. The gentleman at the buffet grill would gladly cook my wife a nice vegetarian pasta at her request. The head chefs took good care and spent time identifying vegetarian foods and desserts that she could have without concerns. Shaan, our host for the candelight dinner, delighted us time and again with small surprises during the course of our dinner.

The island itself is small but has a serene, beautiful and romantic setting - very picturesque and a true tropical island paradise. We saw couples for the most part, many of whom were about our age. Our water villa was beautiful and was well designed from a comfort and aesthetic standpoint. We stayed in villa 217 (sunset villa) which we thought was fabulous - had a nice view and a lot of privacy, with a distant glimpse of the island. The house reef was good and we enjoyed our snorkel/swimming there. I would highly recommend taking the complimentary daily trip to the sister island - an awesome opportunity for a photo session with your significant other!

Our only quibble was that we had to check out early in the morning to make it to our second resort, and an alternative could not be arranged. But I suppose this is understandable as seaplanes have to abide by tight schedules and budgets as well (they try to pool as many people from neighboring islands / atolls to minimize costs).

All in all - we spent 5 days there, which we felt was short as we barely got to know the place, but those were days well spent. We highly recommend this beautiful resort.

Room Tip: 217 - sunset water villa - lotsa privacy with a distant glimpse of the island - snorkeling back and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sh_maestro
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here for 1 week as part of our honeymoon, our only regret was that we didn't stay here longer. The whole experience through Kuoni was exactly what we expected. The lovely lounge at male sea plane terminal was beautiful. We landed at Maafushivaru and were greeted by the Kuoni rep Hannah who is lovely. To us the reps here have got it just right, they are there if you need them but don't impose on your holiday. Hannah took the time to speak to us when we passed to make sure we had everything we needed and that we were having a nice time. The rest of the staff are brilliant as well, from the house keeping to the chefs, waiters and spa staff. We recommend the "Maafushivaru Momment" I you make it to the spa.

We will be back as will book through Kuoni again.

Thank you for an incredible time. James and Nat room 202

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Winchmick
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Just returned from Maafushivaru and loved it. We've been to the Maldives before, but first time on this island and it was really wonderful. Food was outstanding, best we've had in the Maldives and drinks were mainly branded and flowed very freely for all inclusive. What really makes this place is the staff, from the maintenance people who work non stop to keep all tidy, to the chefs who are so proud of the food they produce and the waiters who are so polite and well mannered. The room attendant was so professional that we rarely saw him, but the room was very clean and tidy indeed. The bar staff were fab, cocktails were super and the waiters were good fun. The house reef is ok for snorkelling,but not the best we have had. If I had to be negative about anything it would be about the kuoni reps, this island is tiny and these people added nothing to our holiday, local reception staff were more helpful! It did annoy that a part of the cost o f our expensive holiday must have been covering the cost of these reps and they just weren't needed! We will be back to Maafushivaru again and would thoroughly recommend this very cosmopolitan island.

Room Tip: We had beach villa 112 which was fab, we did think we would upgrade to a water villa when we got the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jammy101
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We came to Maafushivaru island in the maldives with our whole family of 11 people for one week this June/July. This was our first time in the Maldives. We came here to get married and the whole planning and organising experience of the wedding with the Hotel Manager Jadullo was incredibly smooth and pleasurable! I cannot fault Jadullo and his fantastic team of staff who were absolutely wonderful, competent and totally made our day a complete dream come true from beginning to end! Nothing was too much for Jadullo and I was so impressed with how he runs the hotel and makes things happen. I have been left with the most incredible memories I will never forget from the whole week and from my wedding day. I didn't want to leave! And that's down to not only the stunning perfect island and resort but also down to the staff. A very special thank you to Jadullo and Abdullah, you are both stars!! Each and everyone of My entire family were blown away by this hotel and the staff who made this an incredible week. We have all said we will be all coming back here next year! We all enjoyed wonderful food in abundance, fantastic clean and perfect accomodation, perfect service, great weather. Thank you again Marie-Clare & Nick Maurissen x See you again!

• Stayed: June 2013