Maafushivaru
Constance Moofushi(Moofushi Island)
US$1,212
  • Breakfast included
Vakarufalhi Island Resort(Vakarufalhi Island)
US$375
US$263
  • Restaurant
US$307
  • Beachfront
Lily Beach Resort & Spa(Huvahandhoo Island)
US$1,198
US$630
US$492
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Sun Island Resort and Spa(Nalaguraidhoo Island)
US$622
US$153
  • Pool
US$555
US$542
  • Breakfast included
LUX* South Ari Atoll(Dhidhoofinolhu Island)
US$633
US$435
  • Beachfront
All reviewsour waiterbeach villasister islandwhale sharksmarine biologistfishsmall islandour honeymoonno shoesall inclusive packagebar staffprivate islandsea planemain restaurantteppanyaki restaurantisland toursun loungers
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Maafushivaru for our honeymoon in March 2014.
It was an truly unforgettable experience. We stayed 10 nights in Paradise, we picked the AI package. Planning our honeymoon was a hectic experience, we needed to get many special documents for my husband's medicines, but when our seaplane (after a long trip) finally touched the water near Maafushivaru we truly discovered peace and quietness.

Maafushivaru for us was everything we dreamed of.
Lush sands, beautiful colored marine life,a well maintained house reef, and employees that acted like they were a family. Never was there a frown or a sad face.
The Maafushivaru family did everything they could to make our honeymoon extra special.
There were moments that we both had the idea we were alone on the Island with just the Maafushivaru staff.

For some reason the reception was unaware of the fact that we were on our honeymoon, but our Kuoni lady made sure this was changed within a couple hours. She told us that not all Kuoni systems are linked to each-other.

In the second week of our stay we met a couple from Britain that planned to get married in Maldivian style. Due to the unforeseen weather conditions the ceremony had to be rescheduled a couple of times. In the end their ceremony was beautiful the bride was accompanied by staff-members with drums as she slowly made her way towards the improvised temple.
Later on they invited us to their ceremony, we had a talk and a couple of drinks.

Paul and Vicki thanks for the drinks and the cake!!

Excursions:

We went on the sunset cruise. the turtle excursion and the island tour

The sunset cruise was beautiful. We had a nice spot on top of the dhoni and we were offered sparkling wine. The staff did their best to spot dolphins in the water, they succeeded but the dolphins were not interested in us.

The turtle excursion for our liking was too crowded, too many people signed up and when we spotted a turtle in the reefs everyone was fighting for a spot to take a proper camera-shot. We expected to spot more turtles so that we could spread out better, sadly there were only 1 or 2 turtles during this excursion.

During one of our own snorkeling tours we spotted a turtle foraging in the house-reef near Maafushivaru. The current that day was too strong to take a proper picture.

Maafushivaru has something truly unique they allow guests once a week a tour of the facilities and the staff areas. You learn much about how the Island works.
Most resorts prefer to not get guests ‘behind the scenes’

We also took the wonderful 'Maafushivaru moment' couples only massage.

A special thank you to the following staff members:

Ron the resort manager, for taking care of our special needs.
Abdullah, for his passion, his openness and for taking the time to get to know us.
Shah, for remembering our preferred spots and for surprising us a couple of times.
The waterbar staff for the amazing cocktails, the library staff for an amazing candlelight dinner.
The guys at the '135° East for the amazing show and the wonderful food.

We plan to return to Maafushivaru for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Our watervilla at the sunrise side was quiet and secluded
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IreneMeow
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My Husband and I stayed at Maafushivaru for our honeymoon in June, following a crazy 2 weeks in Sri Lanka. As soon as we arrived we knew we'd made the right choice for our second honeymoon destination and for somewhere to relax after Sri Lanka.

Here's some of the things we LOVED and why this place is so special:

- Food is brilliant, lots of choice and different every day. My husband loved the 'hot chocolate pudding' and as we got friendly with the chef he put this on the menu again for us during our 7 night stay! I am a Vegetarian and ate very well the whole time - they had veggie sushi, pasta and rice dishes and lots of vegetable dishes. Desserts were always amazing and plenty of fruit.

- As we went in low season, the island sometimes felt like it was ours (honestly). The resort offers a daily boat trip to their sister island Lonobu and we did this trip more than once as it was literally just us and another couple there on the other side of the island. Paradise! Although, we did have a couple of sea birds sqwark and dive at us on Lonobu - they obviously had a nest!

- The special touches by staff. Loved our complimentary dinner on the beach. It was 'Maldivian Night' in the bar when we chose our meal and so that we didn't miss out, the waiter came and brought us a bird made out of palm tree leaf ;) We later joined the Maldivian Night which involved locals who had come over from the main island to show us their trades. It was a quiet evening and very endearing. A local lady made me a friendship bracelet which was lovely as she did not speak a word of English.

Lovely L'Occitane products in the villa (we stayed in a water villa) and you can just ask for more at any time. Lovely to use after a day in the sun. Petals on bed appreciated as well as being able to grab a DVD from Reception if we fancied it. Coffee pod machine in room was great.

Our Waiter Ilham was brilliant. Chatted to us every night and we got to teach him English slang! The staff are all so friendly and helpful with their knowledge on island life. Daisy our Rep was also fantastic. Always there if needed but you were left in peace too.

Amanda, the Marine Biologist is such an asset to the island - her knowledge of water life is second to none and she got some great shots of us in the water and of the turtles and other marine life she could reach on the sea bed and we couldn't!! She also holds seminar style talks on some evenings about the marine life. Very worth doing. I was a beginner snorkeller and Amanda made it so easy for me. I was invited to snorkelling trips which were for advanced snorkelers as there is always a life raft to hold onto and you still get something out of each trip.

The best thing about this island is its incredible reef. I was apprehensive about sharing a review on Maafushivaru as it feels like a secret getaway that is still unspoilt! But you should experience it! As a beginner snorkeller, when I got out deep enough all my fears about snorkelling disappeared. The water suddenly goes dark and cold and when you look down there are such beautiful fish around you. We saw feather tailed rays, reef sharks and other stunning fish like the Oriental Sweet Lips (!) and the numerous Nemo fish. Before I knew it, I had snorkelled the whole island and I loved every minute.

The spa is just perfect too. We had a sauna and steam session, and I had a lovely Keratin hair treatment on the last day as my hair had dried out in the sun! Great thing to do before you go home. Massage was one of the best I've had and came included in treatment.

The only things we weren't keen on were the prices of the spa and gift shop (which is pretty bad - not much going on in there!). They add 20% to everything - something to be aware of but as it is all inclusive, we didn't get stung too badly. We also had a bit of damp under the sink in our water villa but as it is on water, we understood that this can happen - would have been nice if it had been picked up on before our arrival but the villa and island are just so incredible that we would be silly to complain about this. Beware too, that the cleaners do not sweep sand from your villa so keep it clean from the start or you will get sand in your bed like we did ;)

Honestly can't recommend this gorgeous island enough. It was heaven to swim, read and eat all week and look out into blue paradise. Walking around bare foot (everywhere, even in the restaurant) also allows you to feel fully relaxed and as far away as you can be from the chaos of life. We hope to visit again in the future. It has a special place in our hearts, probably because you get two islands for one here - Lonubo is a must!

Room Tip: We had water villa 212 and got amazing views of sunset.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vicandtub
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights at Maafushivaru as part of our honeymoon and wow, what a fantastic place!! It had been a busy year with work, uni and arranging a huge wedding so we were in much need of peace and relaxation and as soon as we stepped off the little boat onto the island and were handed a refreshing arrival drink, I could feel all my stress start to melt away.

We had water villa 222 which in our opinion is the best on the island as you are at the top of the leaf shape arrangement of the water villas and have a view of both the sunrise and sunset.
The villa itself was fantastic, so clean (cleaned and tidied twice a day) with fantastic steps right down to the clear turquoise ocean. The bathroom is brilliant, with a shower that opens right out onto the deck and I loved laying in the bath with the windows fully open looking out into the ocean. Absolute heaven. The steps leading down to the sea are perhaps a little rickety and in my opinion not the right material for slippy wet feet, however a little care is all that is required. I have never seen such a clear ocean in my life and the variety of fish that swim past on a daily basis is overwhelming.

Our waiter for our stay was Aksim and he was really brilliant; had great English, took an interest in us and provided great service. An all-round lovely chap. The food was great and there was a different theme every night; however if that particular theme didn't take your fancy there was more than enough alternatives to make sure you didn't go hungry. I have noticed a few derogatory remarks on here re: the food and I honestly cannot see why as it really catered for everyone and you would be hard pushed not to find something you liked.
The bar was brilliant (although everyone went to bed before 10.30 and my husband and I were always the last ones standing!) and the waiters were great fun and had some really interesting stories.
The entertainment was probably not to everyones taste however again, there was something for everyone (karaoke, marine biologist presentation, maldivian night) and I think it's really impressive that a remote island such as this even goes to the bother of providing entertainment for its guests.
My husband did some activities during the week such as 2x snorkelling and we did the sunset cruise which was truly spectacular especially seeing al the dolphins swimming alongside our boat. I also used the spa which was heaven on earth!

All in all my husband and I had a holiday of a lifetime at this resort and are already thinking about when we can go back (although please note that Kuoni will not have a presence on this island from next year). Can't recommend it highly enough.

I understand there are people who write reviews on trip advisors who obviously go on holiday to be picky about every minute detail and love to take 'incriminating' pictures of cracks in the wall, slightly outdated furniture on the balcony, and that is there prerogative, however I cannot understand anyone who would go to this island and not have a utterly terrific experience.

Room Tip: We preferred the water villas to the beach villas as you have to walk past some of the beach villas to get to the bar/restaurant area. The water villas are most secluded out on the jetty.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Racmagray
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed at Maafushivaru and at Shangri-La within the same trip. Comparing our time at the two resorts, Maafushivaru is a 3 star compared to 5 star Shangri-La. The good thing about Maafushivaru is the clear blue waters and the fine white sand. The not so good thing is the mediocre quality of the resort. The water villas are basic and not well maintained. The food is average buffet fare. The Trip Advisor reviews are not a good gauge because the Trip Advisor reviews do not make comparisons between resorts located in different atolls in the Maldives. The bottomline is that for the high prices paid, there are much better choices.

Stayed: August 2014
13  Thank Steven N
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 6 days on Maafushivaru and needless to say we're already dreaming about when we could return.

Within 30 seconds of stepping onto the dock from our Dhoni I'd already forgotten what day of the week it was, let alone any of life's other concerns. Maafushivaru is relaxing in the best possible way.

The all-inclusive package is good value, the variety of food appreciated and the cocktails in particular are delicious. We received polite and personal service from all we met, but a particular compliment to the restaurant and dive teams whose service was exemplary. We also appreciated the contribution made by Amanda the resident marine biologist whose passion for the local fauna was clear.

Our water villa was clean and well maintained, and the ability to step straight from your deck into the warm Indian Ocean and search for a turtle or eagle ray is already sorely missed here in freezing Tasmania.

To Roland and the rest of the Maafushivaru team, we thank you for the perfect holiday- shukuriyaa.

Room Tip: Make sure to go on the island tour- you can see the staff quarters and learn about how everything works behind the scenes.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple