“Wonderful Anniversary in Paradise”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Celebrated our 10th Wedding Anniversary at Conrad Rangali Maldives this year. Stayed from 8th to 12th June 2012. This is our 2nd consecutive year in the Maldives, after staying at the W Retreat & Spa Maldives last year we decided to try a different type of resort this time. Conrad is different from the W in that it is a much bigger resort with more dining choices and facilities. The one thing Conrad definitely wins over the W is their house reef. The reef around Conrad is simply gorgeous and breathtaking. Snorkelling around reefs near the Spa on the main island is definitely highly recommended, we snorkelled there for hours every single day. Even though the islands are huge you will never be without a beach chair as they have them scattered around the island. Just find a favourite spot and plonk yourself down on the nearest beach chair...the next few hours will be heavenly with the sun and sea right there with you. Also from time to time you'll find a Conrad staff walking around to check on you and to see if you need anything, like drinks or towels, etc. Great service. By the way, snorkelling gear is complimentary throughout your stay there.
Conrad offers guests top notch service, nothing is too much trouble for them. I especially want to commend the staff at Rangali Bar, at which we had dinner 3 nights consecutively. They did not have any qualms meeting any of my requests when it came to my food choices. For example changing the pasta sauce from cream base to tomato cream, and preparing a soup from scratch just so that it is not spicy (original menu was a spicy soup base) for me. Also from the 2nd night, the staff were able to recognise us and were able to greet us by name. Simple gesture like that did leave a good impression on us.
Now as for accomodation, we got to stay at both the King Deluxe Beach Villa and King Water Villa. We stayed at the King Deluxe Beach Villa for the first 2 nights. It is extravagantly luxurious. The villa was huge, with separate areas for shower, wash basin, bedroom, walk-in wardrobe, lounge, outdoor patio and outdoor jacuzzi. I totally love the villa. We were pleasantly surprised with complimentary fruit platter and a bottle of wine for our anniversary. The back patio of the villa allows us to walk straight onto the beach. The beach villa offers guests lots of privacy, you don't have to worry about other guests walking along the beach outside looking into your villa because there are enough greenery to block their view. However this also means you don't get any view of the beach and sea from your beach villa, which to me is quite a waste considering you are living in Maldives.
For the last 2 nights we moved to the King Water Villa which is located on the smaller island. This smaller island does not allow children below to age of 12 years old to stay. So it means its also a much quieter island. All Water Villas in Conrad have recently been refurbished, ours included of course. The villa though much smaller than the beach villa was very new and very clean. We actually preferred the water villa simply for its sea view and direct access into the sea. Our villa was partial sunset view, however due to the layout of the villa (they had a long partition at the side of the villa, probably to allow for more privacy on the outdoor patio) we were not able to enjoy the view of the sunset. This is the only regret we had throughout our stay at the Conrad. The location of our water villa was quite far off on the other end of the island. During those times when we did not feel like walking we would call the concierge for a buggy which could bring us to any part of the smaller island or even across the bridge to the bigger island. Another mode of transportation to the bigger island would be to take their traditional boat (can't remember what its called) which comes at regular intervals.
I would definitely highly recommend this resort to anyone going to the Maldives and looking to stay in a larger resort with excellent service.

5  Thank babykhoo
KarimRangali, General Manager at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your time taken to leave your wonderful comments in TripAdvisor. Your comments are wonderful to read and so encouraging.
Thank you for commenting on the staff, which I will convey the message to them and makes them proud. What a nice place to celebrate your 10th Anniversary, you could have not choosen a better place than Conrad Rangali. Hope we can welcome you back to Rangali in the near future. Kind regards, Karim Schadlou, Resort Manager

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Although i went with my family and had an amazing experience, i would recommend more the place for couple.
But in all cases:
- For the lazy people: enjoy a massage in the spa or just relax on the beach!
- For adventure seeker: take a ride on a jet ski, go diving (with a chance to see small sharks), or even have a ride in a submarine!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RimB_7

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your comments left in TripAdvsor and I thank you for choosing Conrad Rangali for your stay. It is great to read that you had an enjoyable stay with is.
Once gain thank you and hope to welcome you back to Conrad Rangali Island in the near future. Warm regards, Karim Schadlou, Resort Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Like some of the recent postings I was a little nervous of some of the previous comments however I should never have feared.

The worse bit first, it took us 40mins to get through immigration so was getting concerned we'd be in danger of losing the light as there are no seaplane trasnfers at night (the inbound flight from Dubai was also late arriving).

Once through immigration & out of the terminal we were met by a Conrad rep. who walked us to the seaplane check-in desk & then onto a shuttle bus to the seaplane terminal. The Conrad experience starts as soon as you walk in the terminal, you are wisked away from the main crowd into a private lounge which was great place to relax. As has been mentioned previously, you complete the resort paperwork here. Once a plane is ready you are taken directly to board the aircraft.

This was a great experience, even if you are not staying at the Conrad I recommend using a seaplane transfer to wherever you're staying, the views of the various atolls you get are superb.

Upon arrival at Rangali met by our resort rep. who explained all & then showed us to our beach villa. The villa is really nice, the shower really is outside (though you are NOT over-looked at all).

We were on half-board, so most of the meals were taken at the Atoll Market, but plenty of choice & it changed daily. Thank goodness for the Italian zone as my kids mainly had pizza or spaghetti for the evening meal. Breakfast was excellent, again plenty of choice (cold selection, hot selection), though I steered away from the Asian section as I couldn't face eating curry in the morning (different matter for dinner !).

During the day we relaxed by the pool or beach & did some water sports activities. I must say, the guys at the water sports are great - very helpful. We did a few things being towed, for example, knee boarding & inflatables & I was able to sit in the speed boat to get some great action shots of the kids. Also looked after you with cold face towels & bottled water after your activity (for all family even if only the kids taking part).

Had to cancel a sunset fishing trip one day as the weather was too rough, however the lucky dolphin trip was successful - saw a pod of dolphins & one of the youngsters was doing jumps & twists.

One evening my wife & I went to the Tapas event in the Wine Bar next to Rangali Bar (its A/C controlled to about 22'C). The food was excellent, about 10 different dishes (all described by the head chef) followed by the resident cheese/wine expert assisting with a cheese selection for dessert (really great cheeses - would recommend a cheese selection session even without the Tapas just to try out more cheeses).

The staff were all great, very helpful & polite. Nothing was too much trouble, in fact fantastic service from all the staff.

I was surprised to find out that there was full occupancy while we were there as it did not feel at all busy. To give you an idea that is 300 guests in total over the two islands, so plenty of space.

Speaking of guests, there were a few groups of Chinese guests who did not behave as I would expect of someone staying at the Conrad. On occassion they could be a little noisy, didn't usually last long but definitely irritating. If this bothers you I was informed that they mainly come in this off-season. From my perspective, this wouldn't put me off going back.

In summary, a fantastic relaxing holiday in a wonderful setting. Something for all the family. Not cheap, but then you don't expect this at a Conrad resort (if this is too steep, try the Hilton resort). Would definitely go back again.

A few points:
1. Book any activities (fishing, dolphins, resturants etc) as soon as you can after arrival to avoid missing out as they get booked up quickly
2. If you don't have masks/flippers for snorkelling you can hire from the dive centre (we had our own though)
3. Try afternoon tea at the Mandhoo restaurant - nice teas to try & great setting (& free !)
4. Try the cocktails at Rangali Bar (perfect timing is 6-7pm happy hour, then go for dinner)
5. If you are a family & want privacy recommend you book a water villa with the two bedrooms

Stay period 17th - 24th July.

Room Tip: Stayed in Beach Villa 107, which is a little near the boat pier (a little motor noise on occasion...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Neil D
Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

Conrad is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world! There are so many different spicies of animals. The food is very tasty and good. The service is polite and kind with the guests of the hotel. Yes, it is expensive but it worths the stay!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Ruslan999
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I’ll start by saying I’ve wanted to go to Conrad Maldives for a long time. After 3+ years of reading every review on TripAdvisor, I had serious high expectations of the resort. We decided to go for our honeymoon this year. We had simply the best time ever. I have never felt close to tears when leaving a hotel before, I was just so sad to be going. Everything about this hotel is perfect – the location, the hotel itself, the staff, the food, everything. This is gonna be a loooong review so I hope it’s very useful to all reading it :)

ARRIVAL
After a 10 hour flight from LGW, we got to the Arrivals hall in MLE. Be prepared for a long wait and bring some water with you from the plane. I’m not sure how long we were waiting in the queue for (our queue moved the fastest out of all of them and we were also first off the plane), but it was probably around 30 mins – I can’t remember though, we were too excited and happy to finally be in the Maldives! Once we got through immigration, we got our bags from baggage claim. Outside, we were met by a Conrad Maldives rep who insisted on pulling our suitcases for us (thank you!) over to the Conrad desk. There, we were met by another rep who escorted us to the seaplane desk to get our bags checked in and weighed. They weigh your suitcases and hand baggage all together. Remember that hand baggage on a seaplane is classified as something that does not have wheels. If you have cabin-sized suitcases, those will be checked in. So bring a duffle/weekender bag if you want to keep your hand baggage with you. Once the bags were checked in (only took a few minutes), we were then brought to an air-conditioned Conrad minivan (for just the two of us!) and driven to the Conrad’s lounge in the seaplane terminal.

The lounge is fantastic. They greet you with fresh juice and cold towels. Great views of all the seaplanes taking off / landing, giant daybeds for lounging in, drinks & food to nibble on and a free shoulder/back massage while you wait! Oh and free WIFI too. At the lounge, they handle your check-in so you are told your villa number and they do the pre-authorisation on your credit card for expected spending during your stay. If you spend less than this, they refund the balance back to your credit card on check-out. I think we had to wait 1 – 1.5 hours for the seaplane as they were waiting for a family to get to the lounge from the immigration hall so that delayed things slightly. We weren’t bothered in the slightest, spent the time watching the seaplanes, getting a massage, relaxing, etc.

SEA PLANE
Before boarding the seaplane, we were supplied with a Conrad bag which included earplugs, two bottles of water and some mini face wipes. The flight was quick (around 30 mins) and it was amazing seeing all the islands from the air. We were so excited!

LANDING AT RANGALI
Paradise. Just total perfection. Amazing. Beautiful. Awe-inspiring. AMAZING! I was pretty much speechless the moment we arrived. Having looked at and admired photos / videos of this resort for so long I thought that the beauty of this resort wouldn’t be a shock to me but wow, it was. The photos do not do this place justice at all. It is without a doubt the most incredible place I have ever been and I don’t think anywhere else could be more beautiful. We got off the seaplane and were welcomed with some cold towels and we met our island host, Saeed. Our luggage was also already there on the dock (I think it came out on an earlier seaplane flight). Saeed brought us down to the reception where we were given delicious fresh fruit juice and he gave us an overview of the resort, went through our pre-arrival bookings for dinners / excursions. Once all that was done, he got a buggy and drove us to our villa.

VILLA
We were allocated the best villa in the Spa Retreat – 421, right at the end and 500m out to sea. Thank you Saeed! It was the nicest room I have ever EVER stayed in. The villa was huge! We had a lounging area, big flat screen TV, minibar, an extremely comfortable bed, the bathroom had his/her sinks, our bath offered the best views I could ever have asked for (endless Indian ocean), we also had a separate spa treatment room and then the deck outside complete with Jacuzzi, sun loungers and steps into the ocean. Heaven!!! There was also a welcome bottle of champagne, fresh fruit and chocolates. The WIFI is also brilliant – each room has its own wireless router and there is WIFI as well in all the restaurants / bars so you can even WIFI from the beach! Our villa was incredible. There was great snorkelling around our villa – we saw tons of fish (big & small), stingrays, sharks, as there was lots of coral around our villa.

HOUSE KEEPING
Fantastic. Our room was cleaned twice a day and we got fresh towels each time. Most days our house keeper had the room cleaned while we were at breakfast and then did turndown in the evening while we were at dinner. He did a fantastic job, the place was spotless.

GETTING AROUND THE ISLAND
You can either walk, call for a buggy or get the dhoni between the main island reception and Vilu restaurant on the smaller island. Most days when we called for a buggy, it was there within 5 – 10 mins, we rarely had to wait longer than that. Some days we walked, other days we were feeling lazy so got ourselves some transportation! It was a bit of a walk from our villa to Vilu on the small island so when we were going there, we called for a buggy. I’d say about a 25-30 min walk.

HOUSE REEF
The house reef on Rangali is stunning – lots of coral and therefore, a LOT of fish. There are blue surgeonfish / regal blue tangs EVERYWHERE!!! They are gorgeous. Having never been to a tropical location before, seeing the beautiful colourful fish was an incredible experience for me. Only for the snorkel in my mouth, I would have squealed with glee when I saw a Moorish idol! If you head out from around villa 225 you’ll go straight out to the reef. We didn’t go further than the drop off as the dark blue water / lack of visibility made me a little nervous so we stayed inside the reef rather than beyond!

SPECIAL DINNERS / EXCURSIONS
We did one special dinner – Ithaa dinner. Being mega fussy eaters, our wonderful island host Saeed arranged a meeting with the chef so that he could prepare a special menu for us. Nothing is a problem on this island, if you don’t like or can’t eat something – they will make something else. Instead of the chef telling us what he’d cook instead, he asked us to tell him what we wanted! The dinner was great but it was the underwater experience which just made it amazing. We did the dinner at 6:30pm – I would recommend that one over the 8:30pm (some nights it’s at 6:30, other nights it’s at 8:30) because you get to see what it is like both in the daylight and at night. The dinner goes on for about 3 hours as there are 7 courses. They had lovely soft music playing as well and seeing the fish just gracefully move along outside made it so relaxing for us. We got to see tons of fish, sharks and an eagle ray which was very cool.

For excursions we did the whale shark snorkelling, luxury lucky dolphin cruise and snorkelling safari. Out of them all, the best one for us was the whale shark snorkelling (it was also most definitely, the complete highlight of our trip). We went out on a lovely boat and were accompanied by a member of staff from the dive centre as well as Richard and Katie from the Whale Shark Research Programme (WSRP). Richard and Katie were so knowledgeable – they answered all our questions and they found not one or two but THREE whale sharks for us!! We saw Aidan, Greg and Morgan. It was an incredible experience to snorkel with a whale shark – when we saw Aidan he was quite shallow, probably about 5m down – amazing! Greg was deeper, maybe about 10m, same with Morgan. They said we were extremely lucky to see three that morning: the max they have ever seen in one outing is four so we were delighted! In my opinion, the whale shark snorkelling is an absolute must. If you can only pick one excursion, then do the whale shark one.

We also did the luxury lucky dolphin cruise however it was not so lucky! We didn’t get to see any dolphins unfortunately. The weather wasn’t great (it had been a bit stormy earlier in the afternoon) and although the wind had settled down, it was still very cloudy and there was a small amount of rain. As a result, it was difficult to spot any dolphins. We also did the snorkelling safari where they bring you to a nearby uninhabited island and you snorkel off the reef. This was great! I thoroughly enjoyed it – got to see tons of Moorish idols, my favourite fish!

FOOD & DRINKS
The food. Where do I start. It was incredible. If you’re still reading, you’ve probably guessed that everywhere about this place is incredible!

Mandhoo
We had our honeymoon dinner here and also went for Afternoon Tea most days. The views from Mandhoo are stunning. Afternoon Tea starts at 4pm. I’d recommend you get there before 4.30pm at the latest as otherwise most of the sandwiches/cakes will be gone. It was really nice, they had a different selection of cakes each day – sandwiches were always either chicken or tuna and also a vegetarian option (tomato & cheese). The cakes were YUM YUM! Mandhoo was closed for breakfast during our stay.

Sunset Grill
Our favourite restaurant on the island. The Black Angus beef tenderloin was mouth-watering, it was so good. Phenomenal views as well!

Vilu
We ate here for breakfast and for dinner. Without a doubt, Vilu has THE BEST dessert on the whole island – Vilu chocolate fondant. It was AMAZING. Absolutely delicious! Breakfast here consists of a buffet of breads/pastries, yoghurt, cereals, muesli, fruit, etc. along with an A La Carte menu where you can order omelettes, eggs, sausages, beans, hash browns, crispy bacon, pancakes, waffles, etc. It was really good. And the views are stunning.

Atoll Market
We ate here for breakfast (as well as Vilu) and the selection was fantastic. They had everything here. A huge selection of fresh fruit, pancakes, waffles, French toast, Full English breakfast, breads/pastries, yoghurts, cold meats, salads, Asian breakfasts, juices, etc. So much food.

Rangali Bar
The nicest bar I have ever been in! Sandy floor, amazing cocktails, fantastic food and the staff are super. I explained to the barman that I’m not really a drinker so could he recommend a cocktail that didn’t really taste of alcohol – he recommended a Strawberry Kiss (white rum, Malibu, strawberries, etc.) and it was so nice, I actually finished the cocktail (and I never finish cocktails!) Always got a plate of nuts/crisps when you ordered cocktails too, but they quickly realised I much preferred the crisps so I always got extra crisps after that :) Thanks guys!!! Tip: go during Happy Hour (6pm – 7pm) as all cocktails are half price. The food in Rangali bar is superb, it is so tasty. Just because you’re in a bar, don’t think you’re not getting as good quality as you are in the restaurants. The quality is PERFECT and amazing. We had the best burger EVER in Rangali bar – so good that we ate in the bar many nights! And usually ordered the burger! We also had lunch there some days. The burger was Wagyu beef and they mince the beef themselves in the kitchen. So good. They have such a varied menu there too so there’s something for everyone.

ROOM SERVICE
Brilliant as well – fantastic menu, whatever you order arrives within 35 minutes and they even set up the table in your villa with a tablecloth and flower.

THE SPA
We had two treatments while we were there – the first was the Art of Love (3 hour ritual) in the Overwater Spa which was so relaxing. The second was a Swedish massage which we had in the treatment room in our villa. Both treatments were great and we were so relaxed after them.

DIVING
The staff at the Dive Centre are wonderful and really friendly. My husband and I wanted to do the PADI Open Water course and they have an introductory course to see if you like it or not before you commit to doing the full course. Unfortunately I didn’t really enjoy the diving – no fault of the instructor at all, he did a fantastic job with me considering I was so nervous! I just didn’t feel comfortable with the whole breathing underwater / equalising thing. My husband on the other hand loved it and so he continued and got his Open Water PADI license. He got one-on-one tuition from the instructor and saw amazing fish on his dives, including sharks 2m in size! I was so disappointed that I didn’t enjoy the diving because I had my heart set on getting the PADI license! However, I don't feel that I missed out - the snorkelling here is fantastic and you can see a ton while snorkelling, so I was happy out at the surface :)

OTHER HOTEL FEATURES
There are two swimming pools – one on the main island and one on the smaller island called The Quiet Zone. A member of staff will come around to you with complimentary glasses of water and plates of fruit while you are relaxing on your sun lounger. The sun loungers are great – some are regular loungers, others are double loungers. In The Quiet Zone they have giant round-shaped loungers with a canopy/shade thingy on them – I loved those! It was like you were in a cocoon when you had the shade up! There’s also a gym on the island equipped with treadmills, cross trainers, power plate, free weights.

THE STAFF
I cannot say enough about how great the staff are. The location and resort really are like paradise but it is really the staff who make your holiday so special. The staff there are always smiling, they ensure you are made at home on the island, provide local knowledge and just are all-round fantastic. I’d like to give a few special mentions here:

To Saeed, our island host. We couldn’t have asked for a better host. Saeed and his team are fantastic. Many a night we went out to the bridge and met Saeed in the search for manta rays and sure enough whenever Saeed would arrive, the manta would soon follow! He was wonderful, so friendly and he did everything he could to make sure our stay was amazing. He also brought us on a tour of the other villa types one evening. We were so glad that he was our island host, he really made sure our honeymoon was simply perfect. And the manta rays were magnificent – so graceful in the water, it was such a highlight to see them!

To the bar staff – Shark, Ibrahim, the barman who recommended the Strawberry Kiss cocktail for me (I never got his name!) and all the other staff in Rangali Bar, they were fantastic. So friendly and so happy! We had many a long conversation in the bar with all the staff and we thoroughly enjoyed heading over to the bar many nights for a chat with them.

To the staff in the restaurants – Sunset, Vilu, Atoll, Mandhoo, Ithaa – perfect service every time, very friendly and so helpful – considering we are fussy eaters, they all went the extra mile to make sure they prepared something that we could eat.

CONCLUSION
All in all, this was by far the best vacation ever. I don’t think anywhere else in the world could compare – the location is pure class, the staff are THE BEST compared to any other hotel I have been in, and it was just such a relaxing holiday. The service is 11 out of 10. Other hotels could really learn something from the staff at Rangali in how to offer proper 5* service.

We really felt at home on Rangali. Usually when we go on holidays, you never truly feel “at home” in a hotel, but on Rangali we did and it made all the difference. We are definitely coming back next year and we will be returning many many times in the future as well. If you are thinking of going, stop thinking about it and just book it – you will have the time of your lives.

We were devastated when we had to depart on our last day! I actually had to fight back the tears when Saeed and Shark came over to say goodbye to us because we were so sad to be leaving. It really is the best place on earth and we are counting down the days until we step foot on Rangali again. It's such a happy place, everybody is always smiling. So thank you Conrad Maldives for making our honeymoon so special and we shall be back soon :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
29  Thank pineapple_coconut
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We were looking for a 5 night break from young kids at home. The Conrad was perfect; setting, location, service, villas, climate.... We can't fault anything. It's luxury, but understated; it's service, but unobtrusive. Two islands mean you don't get cabin fever, yet it's not a resort with hundreds of guests either. We loved the barefoot-all-week experience. For the first time we said; we'll be back!

Room Tip: Don't pack much, you won't need it. If you like wine, abstain or talk to the bank manager be...
2  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We visited the Conrad Rangali in the second week of Jan 2012 just after the crazy holiday crowds had left and found ourselves lording over our own private paradise for 4 days! The hotel was only half full, the weather was gorgeous, the service excellent, rooms very well attended to. I suppose I could complain about the steep prices, but then that was to be expected.

There were so many higlights that I dont know which ones to list - is started with conrad lounge at the mahe airport which was such a pleasently surprising luxurious hangout after our tiring flight while we waited for the seaplane. the 30 min seaplane ride to rangali was absolutely amazing, completely with a pitstop to drop off guests at another hotel. the amazing beaches and pools were perfectly relaxing and out of a movie, the dolphin watching trip at dusk sublime and snorkeling and diving pretty good (though i have been to better spots for that). food and drinks while pricy were surprisingly good quality. the service staff (mostly locals from the islands) was so polite and courteous and made us feel very very comfortable indeed. oh and this amazing experience was inspite of not visiting the overhayped undersea restuarant and not staying in one of the overwater huts.

my recommendation is that if u r going to do a heavenly place like mali, do it in style! the conrad rangali will not disappoint.

Room Tip: water villas are premium and pricy, the beach villas can provide better value and are pretty awesome...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!