“A Perfect Paradise!”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Reviewed 7 February 2009

Well the reviews below my just about say it all and I completely echo everything they said about The Conrad.

It is the most beautiful place I have ever been and I would go back to The Maldives in a shot, it was perfect for our honeymoon in November.

We stayed for 9 days - 6 in Deluxe Beach Villa & 3 in a Deluxe Water Villa. I had read others reviews before going and saw many recommending Deluxe Beach Villa 230 so put a request in before leaving and on arrival we were allocated the room and I can see why everyone recommended it - the pool is huge and you can easily do laps in it, positioned on a perfect bit of beach, far enough away from any noise but near enough still to everything. We were sad to leave it behind when we left to go to the Water villa but soon forgot once we arrived as again another excellent room and a completely different experience to the Beach villas, if you can’t decide and it is a special holiday or you can afford it I definitely recommend doing both!

I am going to try and not repeat what everyone else has written on here but it is very hard!

So quick rundown –

Wine Cellar dinner – Go, great food, great wine, learning experience and social
Champagne and Lobster night – Romantic, good value, amazing food
Shipwrecked dinner on the beach – Perfect, really romantic, secluded, lots of food – don’t eat in the day! I would say this option is better than the private dining on the beach as you are near the bridge and others, where as for the shipwrecked dinner you are further along and on your own.
Ithaa Cocktails – Worth it to look at the fish and see the restaurant, we didn’t do dinner based on others on here recommendations and don’t feel like we missed anything
Atoll Market – Absolutely fab, you could easily eat in here every night, the choices are huge – Italian, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Maldivian you can choose from many different dishes every night and also request different freshly cooked meals from each of the specialist chefs from their countries.
Vilu Restaurant – Fab views and great food, a little pricey and not an essential meal. Tapas in the bar here is great for mid-afternoon hunger or lunch.

Overall all the food we had was amazing, we did not have one bad meal in our whole time here, I would even go as far to say that each meal was exceptional, therefore I cannot understand why some people have had issues with food on here. I have been lucky enough to eat in some of the most renound and amazing restaurants in the world and I would say The Conrad beat most of them hands down and infact cheaper!

We did not do many excursions because we really didn’t want to leave the island as it was so peaceful, you really don’t get bored in the Maldives. We did the private island trip which was worth the experience and great to do but wasn’t overly fussed. There is as much or as little as you want to do on this island with a choice of water sports, games, pool, trips etc

I visited the normal larger spa and had reki which I can highly recommend, was a lovely experience and the therapists were very clued up, we also did the overwater spa joint couple massage which was amazing especially watching the fish during the massage. Although my only tip is, even if you have regular massages at home and think your by fine with a hard/medium strength massage when asked move it down a notch or two to soft as they were very brutal and I was in more pain than relaxation!

Our island hosts were extremely attentive and are there as much or as little as you need them, they do daily checks to see you have everything you need.

Other quick tips and points
• There are three computers in the library for internet access if you want to grab five mins out the sun and brag to your friends ;) Quite slow connection but hey you’re in the Maldives!
• I would take my own hair dryer even though the one provided was good quality if you’re a girl and you hair requires lots of styling take your own
• Do not bother with shoes – seriously they really are not needed and that is from a very shoe obsessed girl!
• Try the Moonlight swim cocktail in the bar
• Take ALOT of suncream, we normally are fine but really did burn and quickly the sun is strong!
• Look out at sea everyday when you’re lying on the beach for Dolphins as we were lucky enough to have dolphins swimming only just out from the shore on many occasions

So to round it up if your debating going…go and if you are going - you lucky people!!! Enjoy!

1  Thank Sares
Write a ReviewReviews (2,291)

Reviewed 17 January 2009

A perfect stay – this coming from a rather critical and well-traveled couple. After doing my research – including reading every Tripadvisor review and forum post on the property going back more than a year – I thought I was well prepared on what to expect during our 7-night stay. In fact, I felt as though I was preparing myself to be underwhelmed. Yet, in every aspect the Conrad and its fantastic staff met and, more frequently than not, exceeded our expectations. Staying here is truly an experience we’ll never forget.

Pros:
- amazing location with incredible service
- excellent variety of dining options
- beautiful spa, with reasonable packages
- nice complementary honeymoon benefit package
- not as expensive as we anticipated – you can stick to a budget and still have a great experience
Cons:
- pool area to small, not enough space for seating
- overpriced wine list
- walls a bit too thin in the standard beach villas

Rooms:

We were initially assigned “standard” Beach Villa #120. Before arriving we had specifically requested lagoon/sunset-side villas #120-123, so we were happy to see they actually accommodated our request. Despite being the lowest level of accommodations, we were incredibly impressed. The villa was quite spacious (roughly 1600sqft) and was in excellent condition. We particularly enjoyed the open-air bathroom, enormous outdoor bathtub, Molton Brown products, and the large coffee selection. Our only complaint was noise from a loud neighboring (attached) villa on a couple of mornings.

We later received a complementary upgrade – without asking – to Spa Water Villa #413. The Spa Water Villas are breathtaking, the most incredible hotel room – if you can call it that – I’ve ever stayed in. We really enjoyed just staying in our villa and sitting out on our private deck. When staying in the Spa Water Villas, allow for a bit of time to get over to the other island.

Service:

Across the board, every employee we encountered provided first-rate, gracious, and thoughtful service. Our Island Host, Hashim, did a great job anticipating our needs and magically appeared seemingly out-of-nowhere about twice a day to check-in with us. We liked how the staff adjusted to our desire for a more informal style of service. Even the small things didn’t go unnoticed – such as the staff members who walk around cleaning everyone’s sunglasses on the beach. The service was truly five-star in our opinion.

Food:

The array of dining options here is really unbeatable for such an isolated resort. My wife and I are both foodies – and we were continually impressed with the breadth of choices. We also felt the food prices, aside from the specialty dinners, were relatively reasonable considering the surroundings. We did feel the wine prices, however, were a bit much – the roughly 500% markup across the board seemed a bit steep even considering the enormous effort required to maintain a cellar here. You can definitely find some food bargains if you look for them (Vilu degustation menu, happy hours, room service).

Breakfast: We tried all three options (Atoll buffet, Vilu, and Mandhoo) and enjoyed Mandhoo the most. We would frequently both order a couple of options off the a la carte menu at Mandhoo without any difficulty. The one time we tried Atoll for breakfast we were charged $9 when my wife asked for a fruit smoothie – which seemed odd considering both Vilu and Mandhoo had fruit smoothies included on their breakfast menu.

Ithaa: We went here for the cocktail hour one morning and really enjoyed the experience – especially since we were the only ones there. The $25/person price included a glass of non-vintage Pol Roger Brut, which is the same price anywhere in the resort.

Wine Cellar Dinner: This was the one special dinner that we had pre-booked. The food and wine selections were excellent, the atmosphere in the wine cellar was amazing, and it was great to interact with head sommelier Michael Arcena. We felt, however, the service could have been timed better. The five course dinner took over four hours, most of which was time spent simply waiting for the next course to arrive.

Wine Bar: One of our favorite places on the island, we wish we had come her earlier during our stay. One night we did their Wine and Chocolate tasting and another night we tried a Wine and Cheese tasting. Both experiences were excellent.
Vilu Restaurant: We thoroughly enjoyed their 5-course wine-paired dinner (only $130/person including the wine) which was cooked by the same chef/kitchen that made the Wine Cellar dinner. This was probably our favorite dinner during our stay.

Room Service: I think room service is one of the undiscovered dining gems at the Conrad. For around $75 you can order a decent sized dinner for two in the comfort and privacy of your own villa - which likely features a better view than the restaurants.

Location:

Rangali Island: Simply the perfect honeymoon location if you’re looking to be detached from the rest of the world for a while. The beaches and water were immaculate, some of the finest I’ve seen anywhere in the world. One of our favorite things to do was just wander around the two islands finding secluded spots to relax.

Transfers: The Conrad really made the seaplane transfer service completely effortless on our part. Upon arrival in Male we were quickly escorted to their lounge in the seaplane terminal where we only waited about 45 minutes for our flight. On our return we departed on the last seaplane of the day and elected to have dinner at the Hulhule airport hotel. A Conrad agent picked us back up from the Hulhule and insisted on escorting us through the departure process until reaching immigration. The Conrad also honored – without us asking – the original seaplane price we were quoted a year earlier when making the reservation.

Spa:

We enjoyed three spa treatments, all at the Spa Retreat. While at the Conrad’s airport lounge we received a discount coupon for an hour couples massage for $85/person – a great deal. For part of our second treatment we booked a deluxe private hydrotherapy suite, during which we discovered the steam room in our suite was broken. After I mentioned it (and I wasn’t even upset considering we greatly enjoyed the bath) they insisted on comp’ing the entire bath experience and giving us another free hour long bath on our following spa visit – an excellent service recovery.

Other Random Thoughts:

- Despite being close to full occupancy, crowding never seemed to be an issue – aside from around the main pool area – and there were always isolated parts of the islands to explore.
- There are multiple complaints on Tripadvisor regarding noise from the afternoon employee soccer games. Our beach villa (#120) was one of the closest to the employee’s sports field and the noise, while present, was neither excessive nor long-lived.
- We enjoyed the luxury sunset cruise on the Rehendi yacht (included in the honeymoon package), but be sure to book it early enough in your stay to allow for rescheduling if the weather isn’t good (which happened to us twice).
- The hotel seems to do a great job trying to accommodate late-checkout requests. We received a note on our final night advising us that we could stay in our villa until 4:30pm before check-out.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
16  Thank BrandrB
Reviewed 16 January 2009

My husband and I first visited Rangali Island in 2004 and loved it. We don't often return to the same place but the Maldives are very special. Rangali Island was everything we remembered and more besides. We stayed in one of the water villas and loved it. If you snorkel, the house reef on the island is absolutely fantastic - you really don't have to go anywhere else if you don't want to as you will see most of the species found in the Indian Ocean right on your doorstep. My husband went diving and he found it exceptional. As for the food, I can't praise it enough. We dined at the Villu restaurant, which feels relaxed and intimate with fantastic food. The Mandhoo Spa restaurant was fabulous as was the Sunset Grill. All served fantastic food, beneath the stars. Our only disappointment was the Ithaa restaurant, which we felt was so expensive that we didn't eat there. We did enjoy the cocktail hour at Ithaa and found that good value for money and a worthwhile experience. We would definitely return here.

8  Thank Jenny G
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Great Hotel!!

Started in a beach room and then upgraded to a water villa

Can't recommend highly enough - great location

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TokenWindsor_UK
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Stayed in a deluxe beach bungalow for 5 nights before moving onto Huvafen Fushi for 7 nights on our Honeymoon. The place was absolutely amazing. The seaplane was fun and the arrival was stress free. The bungalow was gorgeous, the most amazing room with our own pool and access straight onto the stunning beach. We ate at Atol market twice, Vilu, the wine experience and had room service one night. All were fab, the food at the wine experience was amazing but the experience was a bit stuffy for us. As part pf our honeymoon package we had a sunset cruise and a bath experience. Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled due to bad weather but the bath experience was amazing, so romantic.
There were more kids there than I had expected but they were never a problem.
Overall this resort is true paradise, no shoes required. Loved it all and would definitely reccomend it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pinnins
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We went to the Conrad for our honeymoon and like other reviews, we loved our time there.

While all of the restaurants we ate at were amazing, Mandhoo stood out above the rest. Don't be afraid of its healthy label, the food is absolutely delicious!! Must tries are the black tiger prawn salad, sesame salad, their tuna dish, and the hot rock chicken.

SO PLEASE, go to Ithaa, but eat at Mandhoo, too .... ;)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RSESanFrancisco
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We stayed in Conrad for a week during Thanksgiving. Having been to some of the best hotels in the world, Conrad by far exceeded our expectations.

We were at a delux water villa. While not as big as the one we stayed at in Bora Bora, it has nice amenities. Hanging out in the jacuzzi while watching sunset quickly became one of our favorite things to do. The day we checked in, a Manta ray was swimming right off our deck. Take your ipod if you are staying at a DWV. The have a ipod dock and speakers inside the villa and out on the deck.

Needless to say, the water/beach is pristine. Watch out for the fruitbats lurking around the bush at night. But this is the tropics so it's part of the fun. The house reef has tons of fish. We saw a baby shark and a ton of fish. You can always call for buggie to take your there if you don't feel like walking.

The only disppoitment, if can be called as such, was that the food was not as great as we would expect in a resort of this caliber. While it was certainly not bad, there was room for improvement. And as expected, it was very expensive. My husband tried Maldivian spicy noodle soup one day, and it was ramon noodle (the type you get at grocery store for 25C) w/ 1/2 can of tuna. It was almost comical. However, I do have to point out that the servcies we received in the restuarants, as well as everywhere else in the resort, were outstanding. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you are having a great time.

1  Thank FoBMD
Mirihi Island Resort
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!