“Spectacular!!! You CAN book a room in heaven, even if for a short time.”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Redondo Beach, CA
“Spectacular!!! You CAN book a room in heaven, even if for a short time.”
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We spent our honeymoon here and struggled with finding all the information needed to make this huge decision about traveling to the other side of the world. We live in Southern California and had many concerns about how to get there, the things we needed once we were there, what to expect, the cost of things, booking our excursions/dinners etc. I'll try to touch on these things as we go. Plus we've all been there, done the research, then found out the website oversold the property. First time in my life the opposite happened, the website actually sold the property short . . . by a lot!!!

Our biggest concerns were finding reviews from Americans. Understandably why now after experiencing the 24 hours it takes to get there from California. Come to find out a lot of our worrying was for nothing. We went out and bought electicity converters, and reseached laptop plug ins, overload protections, etc. They have all you need so don't bother. Their services were great. Had no problem with plug ins, internet, phone chargers, i-pods, etc. An outlet extension with multiple plug ins would be helpful if utilizing multiple devices. Wasn't interested in what was happening around the world so internet access helped with Snapfish access and sharing all the amazing photos you'll be taking. So if this review helps those that are simply technically concerned then fear not.

Next thing was trying to navigate how we wanted to spend the 11 days were were there. They suggest you map it all out so you get to do everything you want to. I agree, a plan always helps but we adjusted without any issue and made reservations on the fly. There's gonna be rain so even the best laid plans are going to get adjusted.

A couple notes on the trip there. We left out of LAX early morning (1:30 AM) and flew 13 hours to Taipai via Malaysian Air. It is what it is. Have some things to do, they provide plenty of movies so just enjoy it. We went from there to Kuala Lumpur and stayed the night. Best thing we could have done. Cool city with plenty to do. We stayed at the Marriott next to the Ritz right in the thick of it and the bed was awesome! Nice break after some 19/20 hours of flight time. Next was off to Columbo, Sri Lanka. Had an 8 hour layover so they put us in a room near the hotel. Quite horrible and was by far the worst part of our trip. Avoid Columbo if you can. Trust me. I think I would have rather stayed in the airport. Next it was a short flight into Male, Maldives. Our timeline got us in at 1 am so we were in limbo for 5/6 hours. They dropped us at a hotel and we waited to be picked up by the Conrad's people at 7 am. It all worked out but there were some hairy moments added by sleep deprivation and some wacky hours. Rode hard and put away wet comes to mind. Simply remember that the end result will make you forget all of this within 3 seconds. Remember to bite you tongue and not do or say something you'll regret before you get there. Just be cool like Fonzi.

So, my suggestion would be to analyze your trip schedule and try to make it as smooth as you can. Couldn't imagine doing all of that at once. Tried on the way home and it was not fun. Expect some frustrating moments but they're all tolerable.

Next, some of the things I would suggest when you're there. Room choice - We stayed in a Twin Beach Villa and loved it. You could open up the whole room and enjoy the breezes. Had our own private patio that accessed the beach, showered outdoors and had a huge bathtub. Awesome!!! We met people that stayed in a Water Villa on the smaller island. Not impressed for the extra money plus it was far from the main dining/drinking areas.

Service was excellent. We were taken care across the board. Anything we needed was accommodated. Suri, the Maldivian woman that took care of us while we were there helped adjusting all our reservation times. Very rarely were the restaurants full so walk in service was always available. Couple notes, Atoll market covers most of your needs. Best spot for breakfast! Sunset Bar and Vilu Restaurant and Bar were great and offered great meal each and every time we ate there. Rangali Bar provides great bar food, sandwiches and deserts so food was never an issue. This was the center of attention most of the time we were there. We canceled our underwater dinner experience and simply went down there for drinks at lunch one day. Perfect, plus saved a ton of money in the process. Our private dinner on the beach was nice but we did it the day we got there and at night so we were out of it. Book that during daylight hours and after you're adjusted because it's just you and your partner. Koko grill is a social Bennihana type experience so we passed on that. We're not wine fans so we passed on the Wine Cellar. We drank and ate at Rangali Bar a lot and left ourselves free to make snap decisions. Loved Sunset Bar & Grill and Vilu. Great alternatives and could eat at any one of those spots daily. Worked out great and saved a lot of money in the process. We didn't have that plan when we got there so it worked out well. Food costs for 11 days were roughly $3000 but we had cocktails every night we were there and there was one rainy day playing cards that we drank ourselves silly. Good times!

The wife loved the spa services and couldn't stop raving about them. They're not cheap but she maximized everything very well and had some type of service every other day. The couples massage beat me up but we got that as soon as we arrived so it was much needed. It was cool showering on a ledge with nothing but you and the ocean.

- - - Summary - - -
It was the greatest experience of our lives, next to the wedding of course. The property was beautiful, the people were spectacular, we were blown away from minute one, the guests were great, plenty to do and things to see. NO BUGS!!! Can't wait to go back!!! BOOK NOW!!!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Strikrs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
South Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Spent a week at the Conrad Rangali Island in the Maldives during march 2009. Takes two day from Columbia, SC- leave on Tuesday arrive in Male same time- 2 days later. Flew on Delta to Dubai(16 hr flight) then on Emirates Air to Male (5hrs). Take sea plane 90 km (1hr) to Rangali Island. You might want to spend longer than a week. we opted to spend four nights in Dubai on the return. The Conrad resort is composed of two islands. The larger island (Main) has the #100 and # 200 numbered rooms all beach villas about $850 a night not including taxes. The smaller island has all the 300 numbered villas. This island has the over water villas and over water spa. These rooms start at $1200 a night not including taxes. The two islands are connected by a bridge (a 20min Walk) or by a Dhoni (boat) that continually runs back and forth between the two islands. Both islands have their own reception area, store, spa, and restaurants.
A tube sun tan oil is $25-30 U.S, a beer is $10-15 US and mixed drinks are $18 U.S, $9 US for bottle water, so bring everything, i had no trouble bringing my favorite bottles of Alcohol libations in my suitcase. you can buy souvenirs at Airport in Male, the Maldive air taxi has souvenir booth next to the Conrad airport lounge that was really reasonable.
we were in room 332 a superior over water villa. I thought we could snorkel under the villa like we did in the Tahtinen Island; but no, mostly sand some stage horn coral with few small fish and only 2 and half feet of water under your villa. When the tide goes out two times daily there is only a couple inches of water under your over water villa. If you weren't careful you could get standard out there in shallow water during a low tide.
If I had to change i would stay in a Deluxe Beach villa 217-239 because of the constant breeze and being next to the house reef. These people just walk out to a pristine reef. The villas 313-348 get no wind and was hot- the water villas 301-312 got a lot of breeze and on deep water. consult the Conrad map i think you'll see what i mean. Of course the sunset and spa villas got a lot of breeze but a twice the coast. The best over water villas are 301-312. But I'd stay in a deluxe beach villa.
In our opinion the sunset grill restaurant was the best for the price and view. all fish fresh that day. all soups and appetizers made from scratch as you ordered it- amazing ($200 US per couple) no drinks. Ithaa restaurant is $900 US per couple with wine. so go for cocktails 11am-12 noon(cocktails means 1 glass for champagne per person)
Make sure breakfast at the Atoll Restaurant is included in your rate. We ate here everyday at 10:50am. Technically the Atoll closes at 11am but they accommodated Late risers. The food was great. eat enough and skip that $100 lunch (per couple). you knew breakfast was over at the Atoll because they took all serving spoons off the entrees. We snorkeled every morning on the house reef and would just make brunch/breakfast at 10:50am. One of the best deal is room service. The first couple of nights we'd awake at 2-3 am order room service and he'd be there in no less than 15 minutes with lots of food for about $60 US.
If you are staying in a 300 numbered room the happy hour at vilu bar is free from 5 pm to 6pm. this only applies to the particular drink for that day. If the drink of the day is a "Pearl Harbor" you can have a dozen of these anything different is $15 US. That is if you didnt like a Pearl Harbor and it was different daily - we loved it.
Scuba diving was great. you had to take an "orientation dive" (11AM daily) to show you skill including taking your mask completely off in 30 plus feet of water. Id didn't do this you wouldn't be diving. This applies to instructors as well as beginners. A one tank morning dive started at 8:40am returned at 12:30 pm. sometimes the dive didn't return till 1:15pm the afternoon dive departed 2:40 and returned 5:15pm. On Thursday was a three tank dive left 8:40am - returned 5:15pm-all day. One tank dives took four hours, just a lot of time. The diving was prolonged and extended, the dive boat can be slow with 16-18 people. The divers are divided up into 4-5 groups dropped off and picked in their separate groups. The groups are spread out all over the reef. It takes a lot of time during picking up and dropping off these separate groups. It just seemed to me we could have done two dive in the same time allotted. Went to Manta point three times didn't see a Manta. Divers on next dive saw five Mantas. The dive boat has a toilet, water, coffee, snake, towels, are given out after the dive. The service was great, just slow.
Last couple of thoughts: I was told they would leave only 1.5 liters of bottles of water in the room daily. In this heat 1.5 liters wouldn't last; but , they desalinate and bottle their own water-now. I had no trouble getting 3-4 bottles of water daily from the maid. If you tell them you are on your Honeymoon you will get some additional perks so keep it in mind. No need to add a tip It's included in all checks.
If you want to do a lot of scuba diving do a live-aboard. we saw the Peter Hughes Boat- I'll do that next time- I'm not afflicted with Peter Hughes------ painlesstom@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Diving-Doc1
London
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I read trip advisor reviews for 2 years before booking, and now feel that some reviews were quite harsh. We didnt get the Conrad minibus or the Conrad seaplane, infact our seaplane broke down while dropping people off at W retreat which I loved because as tired as we were it was fantastic to spend 2 hours on their island. W retreat impressed immediately - stunning white leather seated speedboat took us to the island which was a real "boutique island" we relaxed on a white circular day bed with a stunning complimentary glass bottle of VOSS nordic mineral water. Then I must have taken about 100 photos of this designer island - I was concerned incase I had made the wrong choice in Rangali. I didn't - we have been home now since 1st Feb and I would go back to Rangali tommorow. (and I took about 1,200 photos!!)

We booked a standard water villa - i have been to the Maldives before (Royal Island) and loved it except I hate insects, especially in my open bathroom. For me it had to be a water villa for that reason alone. We stayed in 315 on the sunset side - no wind, boiling hot, a walk through the dark trees to get back at night. Moved to 305 - loved it - light breeze, lit walk across the sand, close to the jetty and vilu bar & reataurant, view of the spa retreat & water villas - only problem was that the gentle lapping water was quite noisy at night bashing against the wooden steps and I didnt really get a good nights sleep at 305 in the 10 nights there. We paid to upgrade for the last 3 nights to experience a de-luxe water villa - OMG stunning, so private and peaceful, jacuzzi on deck that changed colour, personal island host (Saeed) to take you anywhere anytime in a buggy.

We loved the gym, the pool, loved sunset grill restaurant the best but Mandhoo amazing too. Dispite the total luxury of the island, the experience was relaxed and informal. Nobody over dressed in the evening - i wore smart shorts and tops with flip flops and the occasional casual dress. I took bangles and belts and never wore them. Do take evening flip flops as the sand can be a bit course. We loved the staff, especially Nahim from Sunset Grill, Hashim form main reception, and Saeed personal island host - all 3 were fantastic.

I had 2 massages - hot stone at the overwater spa and shiatzu at the spa retreat - go to the overwater spa - for me no comparison- £30 extra but so worth it. Sarah Harding from Girls aloud was there for 12 days at the same time, they kept to themselves but it was interesting that Rangali was her choice too. We were on a B&B basis, went for free cocktails at Vilu each day, and ate just a main course and a couple of glasses of wine at Sunset grill - I love my food, but we could not have eaten lunch aswell, although we did eat the fruit from our room eachday, and the complimentry fruit that they bring you at the poolside.

We were here for 2 weeks, we are usually ready to go home after that time, but we both could have stayed another week - No insects, plenty to do, 2 islands to go between, amazing sunset grill and Mandhoo, good snorkelling, saw plenty in the shallow areas alone, great staff who we really were sad to leave behind.

No insects and no insect bites at all, and I am always bitten alive unless smothered in repellent, which I never used after day 1. The only negative is that I think the furniture in the standard water villas needs to be up-dated with funiture similar to W retreat eg plush white daybeds & loungers, plus we were told that for 2009 no children allowed on water villa island - this is not true although it wasnt a problem as there were thankfully about 2 children only on our island. I dont want to have to put up with other peoples noisy children especially if they cant behave.

We so loved this place, it really is paradise, I miss it so much, and will definitely go back one day. I brought home 14 sea creatures that they leave on the bed each night, and they make me smile every time see them.

PS- W retreat has had some bad reviews and the water villas there are really close together so be careful!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karoni60
Zürich
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We decided to spend our honeymoon in the Conrad Rangali Island, since we experienced several Conrads worldwide. After a 10-hour-flight from Zurich directly to Male, we were instantly picked-up by the Conrad people and brought into the Conrad Lounge at the Male Airport (air conditioned, clean, offering fruits and danish as well as different beverages). After a while, when other passengers arrived, we were escorted to the seaplane (laud, not air-conditioned by 35°C and high humidity). The flight took appr. 30 minutes - luckily as soon as we were high enough, the temperature in the cabin became slightly agreeable (for us coming from European winter...). This way of "wow" transport costs appr. 200 $ (even though there is nothing "wow" about it, apart from full body sauna).

As we arrived, we were served drinks and cook towels and soon welcomed by our "island host", who did not bother that we had a long flight, a jet lag and a temperature shock behind us, he just began to summarize everything about the island in 30 minutes. One gets several prospects, island plans, etc. to study at the same time... The only thing we wanted was to get to our room, refresh and think later about what we could do. Finally, we were to stay for 14 days, which gives you a long time to think about what you want to do...

Being honeymooners we got a fruit basket and a champagne bottle offered in our villa. Concerning the sunset cruise, our island host missed to tell us that it is happening every day – instead he pointed out that it’s exclusively on one particular day. So we had beautiful sunsets behind us, when the weather changed, our cruise began, while our boat was rocking and rocking…. The service on board consisted of several canapés and a lot of champagne (was the idea to make us drunk???), turning into sunset boose…

We had one of the beach villas on the riff side of the main island, which was for us a very good choice, sine we had a beach (not only a beach line) and were quite away from other people. But this is when the sunchair horror began - there was no way that you could reserve you sunchair (even if it was just in front of you room). You needed to hunt for one (beginning at 8 a.m.) if you wanted to stay in the vicinity of your villa. The island hosts pointed out that there are no reservations; you can take any sunchair (and put your towel on it). Which just reminded us of cheap hotels in Europe, frequented by Germans (like ourselves), who wake up early every day just to be able to reserve the sunchair…. or in Conrad Maldives for 700$/day…. Since we got new neighbors every couple of days, the discussions began every time when somebody threw out towels and took our chairs (e.g. while we were snorkeling). Beach service (drinks & food) was available only once daily. If you missed it, you needed to call the concierge from your room, get connected with the kitchen, etc… i.e. waist time on nothing. The prices were higher as in Miami Shore Club!

Food and prices are a special chapter in this hotel. First of all, you needed to reserve in all of the à la carte restaurants, even if they were completely empty (again you needed to call the concierge, get connected with Restaurant call center, etc). We once appeared without reservation and collected brittle looks as if we were trying to rob the bank… We live in Zurich, where everything is expensive – but being here we learned the new definition of expenses. Each night we spent at least 200$ for a simple dinner (incl. wine)! The back-up option was to get the buffet, which was so unauthentic that we decided to try something else. The buffet consisted of 5 separated areas, including Asian (I just don’t know what was Asian about it, the curries were as in the worst restaurant in Thailand) and Japanese food (I wonder what Japanese thought about it, since we found it rather doll). Our top spots were restaurants in the Spa and the Vilu, since they offered balanced and delicious food (the later could have also been somewhere in Italy…). However, nothing was true Maldivian or Asian food! We had the feeling, as if we were in the Hilton in Connecticut or Munich. They even had yogurts from Germany!!! (feels like home, but not on Maldives). The rest of the restaurants (underwater, sunset grill, tepan-yaki) were just not worth the money, unless you don’t know better. For us, it was just fake (eg. after eating the best tepan-yaki in Kyoto!).

Snorkeling on the house riff was much more exiting than diving (really great!). We were truly disappointed with the diving landscape – cannot match ones in Southeast Asia or Australia. The diving team was OK, but we’ve seen and experienced better. Still the prices were high and the service average. We had the feeling that the diving guides only wanted to finish their jobs, without caring for fun or any other kind of improvement. We did 11 dives – only one was really good (not excellent).

We could not get to the Spa, since what we wanted was always booked out (again call through concierge…). Other time slots were offered, but we did not want to loose our diving time for a massage (since the one we wanted happened 2-3 times/week).

After 14 days and additional expenses of 6500$ (hotel not included!!), we came back home disappointed. If we ever come back to Maldives, we will surely choose another, more authentic hotel.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Stilleto
bristol
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We have just had 7 wonderful nights in paradise. Rangali Island is in a class all of its own. We styed in a Superior Water Villa and our stay was worth every penny. The Superior Water Villas are on the quieter side of the smaller island and we had sunset views every night. Paradise in every way - yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. True first class accommodation, and courteous staff and our villa attendant Ali coudn't do enough for us. We walked both islands every day - which totalled 6 miles. So not a place for those looking for long walks - also not somewhere for youngsters or party goers, it is ideal for honeymooners and those looking for a peaceful and tranquil holiday.
We went HB as advised by our travel advisor and we were glad we did as we saved money there. We ate most nights at the Atoll Bar which was real good food, always hot, buffet style and you eat what you want and as much as you want, no restrictions. Drinks are expensive but hey once you are there just enjoy it and take enough money to enjoy yourself and not limit yourself too much.
Every night we walked across the bridge from the big island to our smaller one and enjoyed looking at the stars - we also went snorkelling every day from our villa, it truly was a beautiful experience. So quiet at night and fun sipping a cocktail watching the ray and turtles swim by. We also saw quite a large reef shark which looked threatening when snorkelling but they kept their distance. The colours of the tropical fish are out of this world, quite truly paradise and if you are going, you are extremely lucky as we will definitely be going back some time in the future.
One piece of advice is try to avoid a late departure from Male as there isn't much there and as we found out an 11.30 pm flight after leaving the island at 5.30 is a lot of time in a very basic airport. Apart from that - enjoy.
Our hot tub was used every evening too after it had cooled down a little (it got real hot) and we enjoyed relaxing out there and then retiring to our room. The weather was very hot every day - no rain.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curleys
Manchester
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Idyllic,stunning,breathtaking!
If you are reading this prior to a trip, have no worries you will love it here.Totally relaxing,great food at all the restaurants (we did them all),super villas,powder white sand,well appointed rooms, great service etc etc.
Only one problem I saw, beach villas 101 to 110 are located near a screened fuel/diesel storage tank which is smelly,the path which runs behind the villas past the tank was fairly thick with the odour, not sure if it penetrates in the rooms but I personally wouldn't be happy here.
We had water spa villa which I would recommend ( No 409) as this side you get the sunsets & great view & more importantly a breeze. We just left windows open to let in sea breeze no air con needed plus sound of waves. Sea totally clear,baby sharks, sting rays all types of fish etc WOW!
Fantastic spa treatments. A lady called May was my favourite,try the thai massage (not for faint hearted).
Sunrise snorkelling great,dolphin trip good.I loved a week of total relaxation & pampering,but on a purely personal basis I think I would have gone stir crazy if I was there for 2 weeks as there is not much else to do.If all you need is sun sand & chilled relaxing you can't go wrong. We left our teenage boys at home,glad we did,not for them,definatley grown up adults place, although kids are apparently catered for my footy mad boys would be clicking their heels, needing to burn off energy.Not enough action for them! ENJOY,YOU DEFINATELY WILL!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen021
Victoria BC
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Just got back from our 3rd Visit to Rangali.
This is a simple review
THERE IS NO PLACE ON EARTH LIKE IT!!!
Thankyou Staff, Thankyou Conrad for another amazing experience. YOU ARE TRULY THE BEST!!! ITS LIKE LIVING IN A DREAM
The service is 2nd to none.
The people are so wonderful and nice
No review can decribe what this place is like,
It must be experienced!!
We are coming back for a 4th Time in Jan 2010!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!