“"Heavenly place..."”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Denver, CO
“"Heavenly place..."”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

There is not much to add to what has already been said. The Conrad Maldives is a Magical Place. From the accommodations to services, the Conrad staff and facility are top-notch and marvelous. The food quality was delicious and tasty, but of course some meals are better than others. The Infinity pool is amazing...

NOTE: The slow season is June, July, and August.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SQ37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Conrad Rangali island is one of the best hotels I have ever been to in my life, second to Burj Al Arab in Dubai. Granted, there are probably much more luxuriously designed hotels but Conrad's service was absolutely impeccable. Conrad offers a personal butler, Hashim who was able to fulfill everyone's desires and demands by 100% (we had a group of ten with teenagers, pre teen, senior citizens, young and old couples); activities for us range from sunset and night fishing, overwater spa (best massage ever in my life with a jacuzzi set in the middle of the ocean: a definite must see), reservations at all of the great restaurants especially the unforgettable underwater restaurants, windsurfing, glass bottom boat, dolphin cruise etc. The food everywhere was sumptuous... the breakfast buffet was the one of the best i have ever seen and ate beyond the sunday brunches at the ritz in the OC. The resort was impeccably kept, the snorkeling was phenomenal, all the activities they offer were too much for us to all experience incuding their fitness activities and spa retreat. The hotel took every effort to make sure that its guests will be comfortable. Conrad's endless pool was just phenomenal with an area at the age that you can just lay to admire the view. We were all ecstatic when we arrived and found out all 5 rooms were upgraded to the deluxe bungalow with our own private pool, it was just unreal. I have no complaints about this resort from the airport taxi lounge to leaving the resort, this experience sets a high bar for all other resorts to beat. A must-go... if we were to return to Maldives... we would for sure go back to Conrad. Lastly, their staff were all extremely happy and satisfied with their jobs, they told us Conrad is probably the best hotel to work for in Maldives because of their training program and the vast facilities they build for the employee's comfort. I think the staff happiness reflects on the guest's experience on the island.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Xsqtkrissy
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Although a few years ago now I just wanted to rate my experience at this wonderful resort.

There is not much to add to what has already been said. The resort is perfect in every way and having traveled extensively since it has only served to remind me of this truly fantastic holiday.

The water villas were very well designed and afforded good privacy. The food was superb and the underwater restaurant experience was something that I will never forget. Staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Very professional and unobtrusive.

Rich

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard R
Moscow
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed at Conrad Maldives on March 16-25 2009. The weather was mostly shiny and the ocean was calm. We stayed at villa 215 - good place (villa 101 and close to it - there is a smell of fuel), the sea shore in that part of a island is quiet. At the beginning of our stay we were comparing everithing with Seychells, but there was one thing that made our stay absolutely special nd unforgetable in this place. It is Manta ray.. magic, free, majestic.. Every evening it comes to the light of the bridge and swim under it. Some days they were 2,3 and even 4. It is really fantastic.
The hotel is really expensive but it is worth (you should forget about the money and just relax, otherwise choose another hotel). All the restaurant have very good food but are overpriced. We triedevery restaurant, our actual expenses were (a dinner for 2 persons with wine): Vilu $300-340, Mandhoo - $250, Ithaa Under-sea $830, Lobster dinner at the beach - $500, Suncet - $315, Coco grill - $615). Under-sea restaurant is very interesting. During the dinner 2 eagle rays slided on the roof all the evening, we saw moray just in front of our table (we do not dive, perhaps we were so exciting). At appr.17 hrs at Mandhoo restaurant there is a free tea with sweets and snacks.
The rooms are ok, not very exciting. SPA - nothing really special.
In the ocean 2 times we saw turtle very close and were able to take a photo. Baby sharks (40 sm) are usual, we saw biger sharks as well (I thing up to 1,5 m) in the depth, on a dark blue water. Ask from diving center where is a good snorcling.
After we leaved the Rangali island before our night flight to home we stayed for some hours at the 3* hotel near the airport - very deserving hotel (I forgot the name). We recommend itsurely if you want to take a shower and relax some hours before flight to home.
Overall it was lovely holiday. If you are not a skinflint or want to see Manta ray in its natural conditions with no special equipment we surely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NewNameMoscow
athens
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Since I have been twice in maldives, i have to say that after staying in 3 different resorts, conrad is by far the best!!!
Service, kindness, food, excursions, our host-jugam just perfect, everything was just amazing. Thats why we decided to go again this year. We have just returned from our last journey, to 2 other resorts... Which need a lot of work to become...close to conrad!!!
The choise is only one. Conrad! The spa...oh my god, unforgetable. The infinity pool...laaarge with amazing views, the beaches....just go people!!!
Go and let yourself enjoy the best.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank spoilmeAthens
MC
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Needless to say that after 6 trips to this hotel what I think of it! It feels like home every time we go back. This was my first stay in July. Initially I was a bit fearful about how the weather was going to be during the monsoon. However I was rapidly put at ease as the air and water was warmer than any month I'm accustomed to going (April, October). We had some splendid days and some big storms but overall; rain or sun, it still feels like paradise.

July is definitely considered the slow season, some of the restaurants closed a couple of days a week, but as their is a vast choice, I wouldn't consider it bothersome. They also take advantage of the low occupancy rate to give the staff their holiday. This by no means affects the guests or the service received. It was perfect as usual.

If you are slightly budget conscious, than July is definitely a month for you. Between the special rates and the promos at the spa it probably is the cheapest Rangali is ever going to be. That said, as in the previous review, if you are considering this hotel, it means that you do have some change in your pockets.

There are many 5 star resorts in the Maldives, Rangali matches OUR every needs. It is definitely not the hippest and trendiest out there. No big parties at night, no dancing until dawn but rather and elegant, peaceful and relaxed resort that goes the extra mile to satisfy your every need. Although it is considered a big resort, it doesn't feel like one. There is barely anyone on the beach and the restaurants are never overcrowded. The disposition of the two Islands linked by a 500 meter bridge is truly unique.

We have found our dream spot on this planet and I hope nothing is going to change that. Rangali is a once in a life time experience, or twice, or third,......or sixth :-) Anyhow you can't go wrong booking the Conrad!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pitch
NY, NY
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We visited the hotel in mid-March, staying for 9 nights in the Deluxe Beach Villa on the main island... I think we were either 211/210 or 209.

Overall, the hotel is great. I'll try to hit up all the main points, but before I begin, I'd just like to point out that yes, the hotel may be considered expensive, but if you're staying at a place which requires an air taxi at $200 and where the cheapest room goes for more than $700/ night, are you really that concerned about cost? It's an island in the middle of nowhere... It's not like they grow any of their own food, so let's be reasonable in our assessments of what is and is not expensive. Dinner for two with a bottle of wine in a good restaurant will set you back $300, but that's also the case in NYC, London, Paris, and would probably be a bargain hunter's dream in Moscow, so again, to reiterate, you will pay, but if that's a concern there are plenty of other fantastic resorts in the region. If it's any consolation, the spa services (massages/ facials) are cheaper/ same as what they are in NYC.

There is a reception lounge in the airport where you will wait for your air taxi. It's air conditioned, stocked with refreshments, hors'd'oeuvres, mint scented face cloths, changing/ shower rooms, and masseuses that will give you a short (10 min), but enjoyable massage. Needless to say, it's a welcome change from the usually humid and hot surroundings.
The plane to/ from the hotel is hot - I won't dispute that, but again, to put it in context, we're not dealing with a Leer jet - this thing lands on and takes off from water, it also fits about 12 people max, and you're on the plane for about 30 minutes, of which 20 are spent high enough for it to get relative cool. From what I've seen all of the hotels have the same planes, so if you have plane envy, don't worry, it's a fully democratic process - those going to the Ritz/ Four Seasons and the W are suffering just as much. Once you arrive to the hotel, or when you're leaving, there's another air conditioned lounge to house you in comfort... Albeit, there are no massages there.
Rooms (Deluxe Beach Villa/ DBV): Before coming to the hotel we were torn between staying in one of the over-water villas, or sticking to the DBV, at the end the private plunge pool swayed us so we took the land locked location. In all honesty, we absolutely did not regret this decision largely because as we surveyed the other options we reached the following conclusions: 1. Unless you're paying for one of the Sunset Villas, of which there are only two, and which are quite separated from the remaining over-water groupings, you may be reminded of a condo complex in Jersey. I'm sure there are plenty of benefits, but we thought that the water villas were too close to each other and felted very confining. 2. We had a huge stretch of pristine beach in front of us with our own chairs, etc, and personally, we prefer going into the water from a beach, not descending down a staircase. Some guests have complained that their stretch of beach was heavily trafficked... Maybe... Some stretches of the beach are fairly narrow (6-7 meters) and get even more so at high tide, we may have just ended up being fortunate to be in the right place where this was not the case by pure chance. 3. The DBV is a huge chunk of property - between the outside jacuzzi, fountain and the plunge pool you're dealing with a very vast space which is fairly thickly planted on all sides, so when that's combined with the fact that 85% of the walls are floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors, you get a pretty incredible and lush, tropical experience. The ocean must have been spectacular also, but we swayed towards the greenery as we thought it offered more diversity.
I won't spend much on the rooms as the online descriptions are quite complete - they have everything you may need + free wifi (so you can annoy your significant other by checking email... in other great news... blackberries also get perfect reception). The Nespresso machine is a nice touch... Oh, and all of the towels are from Frette. Your beds are made twice a day and in the afternoon you get a hibiscus flower, and in the evening you get a stuffed animal. No chocolates, but you do get a small supply of fresh fruit daily.
The one negative, and this was probably our fault for not complaining, since we were asked on a daily basis how our room was, was that in our particular villa, the generator was audible, but we never complained since by then we were too in-love with the rest of our room and too lazy to repack. So, if you're super noise conscious, make sure you specify that via request to the hotel management and ask them to put you far away from any sound emitting machinery.

Ocean/ Diving/ Excursions:
Really wonderful. Clear water, multitude of fish, turtles and sharks. The house reef is spectacular and in the shallow areas near the restaurants is teeming with sea creatures. There's a massive manta (or two) that you can pretty much be guaranteed to see if you cross the bridge between the two islands at night when the flood lights are on.
If you don't have an underwater camera, or if you forgot to get the case for yours, there are some to rent - half a day is about $50/$60 and they'll burn all the pictures onto a CD for you.
The diving excursion on which we went was pretty sub par (Snorkeling Safari) - you're not really allowed to go to deep into the coral since it's protected (understandable), but that's where the majority of the fun is. You're also subject to other tourists... During our tour we were lucky enough to end up with two people who did not know how to swim (and were aware of this before signing up for the excursion), so after flailing around helplessly in their life jackets for 25 minutes they had declared themselves tired, scared, ready to leave and generally dissatisfied resulting in a premature departure for everyone else (15-30 minutes). Also, we found that generally, the variety of fish and the clarity of water (we went in the early afternoon... may be clearer in the morning) is actually better at the house reef, so we blissfully spent the rest of our time diving outside our villa.
We also had a deluxe evening cruise (specifying deluxe because it's on the yacht, not their normal boat, which is I think the main difference) with champagne some light snacks and probably five or six schools of dolphins as the sun set. That was really memorable, and special... the champagne helped.

Food:
Ithaa... I refer to as the underwater D'Orsia. Went there for lunch because it had essentially the same menu as the dinner version but smaller portions (we gorged ourselves the entire time there so this was a nice opportunity to go smaller)... The food, honestly, was blah. The best thing I had was the champignon foam soup, which is the last thing that I expected to like yet thoroughly loved. The reef fish was uninspiring and regrettable and I'm not sure why it received such rave reviews from so many diners. Again, the food was bland and colourless, in stark contrast to the view behind the glass which was teeming with life and was quite a surreal experience.
Mandoo... Probably our favourite restaurant. It had the most varied and healthiest food and the view and service were great.
The Atoll... Very good for breakfast (we had the daily buffet), but exercise caution since there's probably every type of food available there (Japanese, Italian, typical continental EU/ US, French, Indian, there's staff making fresh juice for you, plenty of fruit, nuts, mueslis, etc... if that's not enough, I'm not sure what will be). It's not super refined (no truffle omelets), but it's delicious and satisfying.
The Vandoo (I think - it's the Atoll equivalent on the other island)... Breakfast is OK, much smaller spread than Atoll, but it's fantastic for tapas at night, especially if you don't want a huge portion. The drinks are good as well, especially when you're gazing out at the black sky only with the sound of the waves at your feet.
The Wine Bar - Favourite place of all, in the end we gave up on normal eating habits and started going down a path of five glasses of wine and cheese spread for dinner, but all jokes aside, the floor is volcanic sand from New Zealand and the sommelier knows a tremendous amount about the food and wine he's putting out in front of you. It's also a great place for meeting other guests.

Entertainment:
I think they try (there's a Maldivian culture show and some other events like classic movie night... I think they showed Casablanca?), but this is not a raging party scene. If you're looking for a party, you need to throw one yourself. There'll be a few "disco" nights when they try to encourage guests to dance, but it ends up being children (of which there are few) and honeymooners emboldened by alcohol. Personally, I didn't really care since I came there to be a dormant vegetable roasting in the sun, and I think most others shared the same sentiment.

SPA:
Went to the one on the smaller island, not next to Mandoo. Wonderful staff, wonderful treatments very comfortable and relaxing. We had the three or two and a half couple's seance and I wish I could say more but I fell asleep and remained so for 60% of it.

Service:
Really, really good. Our island host was very helpful, but not intrusive or overbearing. He also seemed to have picked up on our personalities pretty quickly and was very much in sync and relateable. They do a good job of anticipating your needs, mid day there's usually someone carting a cooler down the beach with some light refreshments like water, fresh, chilled fruit and cooled mint scented (again) towels. This is complimentary.
They'll also clean your sunglasses, etc. Everyone is very friendly and accommodating. For my birthday my room was decorated and I got a cake without either of us having to ask. They knew ahead of time and took the initiative.

Weather/ Beach/Pool:
Mid March was hot (30C) and humid, but doable. We didn't have a single cloud/ rain drop.
HUGE PLUS - THE SAND DOES NOT GET HOT. EVER.
The pool is also a nice place, especially since it's usually uncrowded.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!