“Paradise on earth”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We just returned after celebrating our 10th anniversary at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island - it was our first visit to Maldives and the best holiday we've ever had.

Dining
With such an array of restaurants you never get bored with the food. We didn't have a single bad, mediocre or good meal - each one was excellent...and hard to believe that we were in the middle of an ocean sampling the finest and freshest food.

The Wine Cellar dinner was the standout meal - and if you have to do just one fine dining meal i would recommend this. The Sommelier was great - very engaging and shared a lot of interesting facts - the food was brilliant and the other dinner guests were great company and made the evening a lot of fun. I didn't find the cellar cold and did not use the pashmina i carried - i also noticed they had white pashminas draped on each chair for guests.

Mandhoo - was the second best meal we had - the mains are a tad small so we ordered 2 each plus shared a dessert. Each dish was exquisite. We also came here for the daily tea tasting (variety of teas/cookies/cakes/sandwiches) which was a nice way to end our afternoon snorkelling sessions.

Sunset Grill - the food was great here as well. The Oysters were fresh; the crayfish salad had the best dressing i've tasted thus far; Surf n Turf and Maldivian Lobster were grilled to perfection.

Vilu - we had breakfast here twice and dinner once - the food was again outstanding. My husband had the degustation menu and loved it. I had the Foie-gras Beef Fillet which was simply divine. I loved the views from here and they had the best Martinis served at the cocktail hour everyday.

Atoll - they had a great variety of food stations for b'fast as well as dinner. Whatever cuisine you wanted to try it was there...wonderful spread for a buffet that never ran out, everything tasted great and i never saw half empty platters...i did find it a bit noisey compared to the other restaurants.

Ithaa - we opted for cocktails as we were hesistant to dine here after the poor food reviews on TA. We enjoyed the experience a lot...we saw a variety of fish, some of which i had not seen on the reef. With our Champagne we were served 2 canapes that were very nice and made me wonder if i had made a mistake by not booking dinner here. Well i guess there's always next time to look forward to that experience!

Rangali Bar; Koko Grill; The Wine Bar ...we never got around to dining at any of these places...so can't comment on any.

Room
We stayed in Water Villa 319 with a nice view of the ocean, had all the amenities we needed and was more than enough space for the two of us. The water levels around the Villas were low - the highest was about 2.5 feet and at low tide u can walk all the way to the edge of the reef in ankle deep water. There were a lot of fish that we saw around the coral clumps near the steps of our villa - from Lionfish, Triggerfish, Sharks, Butterfly fish...we soon lost count of the varieties. We snorkeled a bit during high tide in the mornings, but mostly went to the house reef on the other island.

Resort
Time certainly flies in Maldives. No matter how early we got up (the resort is on daylight savings time which is 1 hour ahead of Male time) we still never got to see or do everything that the resort had. We never went on any excursions; or used either pools; or explored the entire island...infact i never got around to reading the 2 books i carried. My husband used the fitness centre everyday, whilst i considered lifting my fork from plate to mouth ample excercise on vacation. The islands are fairly large and u realize just how much when lugging snorkels, fins, lotions, vests and all the beach vacation paraphernalia in the burning sun.

Reef
The reef had plenty to see and as i'm not a strong swimmer i never ventured near the drop off. Despite that i saw more varieties of fish than i had in Hawaii/ Caribbean/ Thailand. The sharks were a bit un-nerving at first, but i got used to them quickly - they avoided us and glided gracefully away from us. I did see a big nurse shark under a coral ledge and that sighting made my day. The Triggerfish were everywhere - a lot of varieties - mostly juveniles and a few full grown Titans. The surgeonfish, wrasses, parrotfish, butterfly fish, pipefish...we saw so many types and each day brought something new our way.

Spa
We used the Overwater Spa twice and had really good treatments each time - the Lomi Lomi and Swedish massages were excellent and the therapists really took great care of us. The first time we went the tide was low so we saw 1 random fish. The second time the water was about 1.5 feet and i saw plenty of fish - Triggers, Butterfly, Moorish Idol in the first 10 mins after which i closed my eyes and was relaxed to a jelly-state!

More than the resort property, the excellent food, the vibrant reef, or the dazzling natural landscape it was the service that really made this holiday special. From the moment we stepped off the plane at Male till we checked-in for our return international flight it was perfect (the Conrad guy actually wheeled our bags right into the airport coming with us even past security - now that's what you call 7 star service).

Everyone we met smiled at us brightly...chatted with us and subsequently greeted us by our first names. Adam our island host, Aslam who cleaned our room THREE times a day and decorated it for our anniversary with handcut palmleaf letters n petals, Mahbrook who served us at Vilu for b'fast/ cocktails, the spa girls who wished us for 'Diwali', Prabhu who surprised us with an anniversary dessert, the dive centre folks who were always ready to help ID fish, the cold towels that magically appeared ...right to giving us not just an upgrade but the exact water villa we requested with a sunset view at the time of booking...the service was FLAWLESS.

I'm sure if it was another resort or another island we may not have raved about the Maldives as much...because you can get the sea and reef on any of the other 80+ odd maldivian islands, but u get Conrad service only on 2.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Isha36HoneyBee

Reviewed 10 November 2010

We have visited a number of islands in the Maldives and this one is outstanding. Depending on your expectations and standards you need to select your room type careful. We spent a lot of time choosing our room. American express guided us and we felt disappointed with there advice .
The Genral manager Ahmed took superb care of us and our villa host Anna stepped in , we where moved to a spa villa over the water which i can describe as outstanding . I would highly recommend the whole resort for its natural beauty, and activities . There is a good choice of restaurants 7 in total so it does nt become boring.
There is a well equipped gym if you are feeling guilty , tennis courts and water sports. We could nt fault the place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janasi
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I could talk for hours about conrad!!! I have to say only good words. You will feel like king from the first step in Male. A big competitor of Conrad is the W but we met a lot of guys from service and they told us that they have worked for W and the Conrad is much better! Better restaurants, better reefs, etc... What to say!! They made a room upgrade 2 times with no reason!!! I don't know, we were so lucky!! My general advise, give some more money and go to the Conrad!! You'll be like a king and queen and you will have the best vacations/honeymoon ever. The only issue is the weather. the locals told us that the last 3 years the weather is a bit "crazy" and nothing is stable. For example, December should be the best season to gobto Maldives. 2 Decembers back they had the worst weather for the last years. Who knows!! The earth punish us with the climate issues...

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Conrad Maldives for a week for our honeymoon and it was amazing. The resort is very secluded and great for complete relaxation. Personally, I preferred Bora Bora to the Maldives only because I found Maldives to be a little too quiet. Don't get me wrong though, it's paradise. The service at the Conrad was excellent. For instance, we received a free upgrade and one night I overheard a Hilton diamond guest mentioned that a stuffed turtle was placed on her bed. My husband loves turtles so I asked the concierge for one and when we went to bed that night, the housekeeper left one that night and another stuffed animal the next night.

Transfer and check-in/out
Conrad has a private lounge with fruit, water, and fruit juice as well as free massages. Transfer via seaplane is approximately 30 minutes and costs $420 return. We didn’t have a problem with luggage restrictions, but our plane was far from full. If you sit on the right side of the plane, you’ll have an aerial view of Conrad. Check-in was smooth: Ishmail, our island host greeted us in the lobby and gave us a free upgrade from a water villa to a superior water villa, which had a Jacuzzi on the deck. I also requested a corner villa, which they provided as well. Occupancy at the beginning of October was 50-60% full. Check-out was very smooth as well. We requested a late check-out because our flight was at 11 pm. Our seaplane left at 5:15 pm (last one) and we were able to keep the room until 4:30 pm. We even had a last free drink during happy hour after check-out. Be sure to do the free Male walking tour, which your island host can arrange. It takes about an hour or two if you plan on eating.

Breakfast was served at Mandhoo and Atoll. The quality was the best at Mandhoo (pancakes were delicious), but we found the selection lacking. They have a continental spread and you can order eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc. a la carte. On the other hand, the Atoll breakfast buffet had greater variety, but the quality was good, but not great and included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, bread/pastries, cold cuts, cheeses, sushi and other Japanese breakfast foods, cereal, fresh fruit, omelet station, and juice station.

Dinners were excellent. We ate at Mandhoo and highly recommend the beef tenderloin. Two dishes should be fine if you’re pretty hungry. Vilu was also good. The lobster was huge. The best meal we had was actually room service. We ordered spaghetti Bolognese and it was delicious. There was a $15 delivery fee. You can also order food at Rangali Bar and take it back to the room. The wine and cheese at the Wine Bar is highly recommended. Ask the sommelier to choose the cheese and wine. We also had the cheese fondue, which was good. It’s a 3 course meal starting with cheese soup, then cheese fondue with potatoes, bread, and cold sliced ham, and then dessert for $65 pp. I had the fish of the day at Rangali Bar one night and it was overcooked and tough. The re-made it for me, but it was still tough (probably just the nature of the fish) and they took it off the bill.

We did cocktail hour at Ithaa for $55 pp, which included a glass of champagne and two appies. We heard from another couple that dinner was very good, but we skipped it because we didn’t see the value for $320 pp. I would have had no problem eating here if it was a three Michelin starred restaurant, but “very good” didn’t convince me. The novelty is really being there.

We tried to book the Wine Cellar dinner, which we were told was on Friday, but at the last minute the hotel informed us that it had been changed to Wednesday. As luck would have it, we arrived late Wednesday and were leaving the following Wednesday. The island host was nice enough to try to schedule another Wine Cellar dinner that week, but was not able to get enough people. I was very disappointed that the hotel changed the date especially since it was even written on the list of special dinners for the night it was cancelled when we arrived.

Be sure to go to Mandhoo between 4 and 5 for tea, finger sandwiches, cookies, and cakes. From 5 to 6, they have free drinks at Vilu for Water Island guests, which include juice, pop, wine, beer, martini of the day and a daily appitizer. On Tuesday nights from 6:30 to 7:30, they have a manager’s party with appies and drinks.

Activities
We went sunset fishing, which was a free excursion as part of the honeymoon package. Unfortunately, it was choppy that evening and only one person caught edible fish while another caught a shark. We passed on the scuba diving because for beginners they require you to do a 2-3 hour course and they take you down to 10 meters right by the house reef, which you can snorkel at for free. Snorkel gear is also free at the dive center. We saw baby sharks, lots of fish, and a turtle. There are also two pools at the resort. The one on Water Island is adults only. All non-motorized water sports are included as well.

Spa
They have specials on certain days, but were able to offer the same price on a different day. We did the Alive ritual at the Spa Retreat, which was $200 pp (regular $280 pp) and I highly recommend it. The ritual lasts 3 hours, but we arrived early so they let us use the sauna, whirlpool and steam room longer. The aforementioned area is completely private and outdoors. There is also a shower for use prior to the massage and facial. The Stonecrop facial was the best facial I’ve ever had. They used an organic product I’d never heard of called Eminence, which left my face glowing and very soft after. The facial was very thorough and in between they massage your arms and legs. Afterwards, we had a full body massage. If you like very firm pressure, ask for the Balinese lady (I think her name was Mudy). She has the strongest hands, stronger than male massage therapists I've had.

Room
The room is absolutely beautiful and has everything you need including a North American adapter, slippers, bathrobe, umbrellas, rain jackets, safe, toothbrush, luffa sponge, Bulgari soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, Nespresso machine with free coffee, kettle, mini-fridge, and iPod adapter. Try to request a room on the west side of Water Island because the sunsets are truly amazing. The only down side was that the water level outside the OWB is quite low (6 inches at low tide and 3 feet at high tide) so we never swam outside. The one major issue I had was our bed. I found the bed extremely hard (and I usually like firm mattresses). I usually had a stiff back when I woke up. The bed also had a waterproof bedsheet, which made it very hot to sleep unless the air conditioning was cranked.

Honeymoon extras
. Fruit Basket & Champagne in the villa upon arrival
. One half-day excursion for the couple (Mandhoo Island Tour, Snorkeling Safari, Dhoni Sunset Cruise, Sunset Fishing or Night Fishing)
. One romantic Bath Experience for the Couple
. One romantic 3-course menu candlelight dinner at Mandhoo Spa Restaurant, excluding beverages

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Caprice611
Reviewed 13 October 2010

All we could say was wow! A place like this really exists? This was a trip worth taking and will do it again when possible. From the minute when we arrived in Male and were taken to the hotel lounge, arrival and greetings by our island host, Irshad, it was out of this world. Our villa was perfect. We were upgraded to the spa water villa as we arrived. Irshad was a great Island host, just the right balance of being helpful but not imposing and flexible. The food was out of this world. We splurged a bit and did the Koko Grill where our personal Chef, Ranjit, who was trained in Japan, made us a meal that was just fantastic! The hotel is top notch. Rooms are clean and comfortable and have all the amenities you could ask for. The views are incredible no matter whether you are in a water villa or a beach villa. My husband swam and snorkeled with rays, sea turtles and baby sharks right near our villa. Weather was fantastic. The four handed spa treatment is a must as well as the Saturday night Lobster and Champagne Grill dinner. Although a bit on the costly side for dinner, it was worth the experience. Will do it again for sure!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DelmonDuo
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We visited Maldives in August. We arrived Male Airport pretty late at night which we could not get on the seaplane to the hotel. We reserved a hotel in town and did not realize that Conrad will start taking care of you as soon as you arrive the airport therefore we have reserved transfer to the hotel ourselves. Next day we met the staff at the airport and we were taken to the waiting lounge for the seaplane. We got free back massage while we are waiting for the seaplane they will take care of check in at that time.

After 30 minutes Seaplane ride, you are greeted with Island Host who will take care of you for the whole stay. There are two islands connected with a bridge. We checked in to Deluxe Beach Bungalow. We really loved it. The bathroom consisted of outdoor shower and outdoor tub. There is also a little private pool in the front yard. The room is well decorated. We upgraded the room to overwater spa bungalow for the experience and it was absolutely wonderful.

In terms of food, we did try Ithaa and I would recommended 6.30 p.m. dinner so you could enjoy both day and night. 3 hours dinner was quite an experience. We also tried Sunset Grill and Vilu. Breakfast is also full of options. I believe they are manager reception every Tuesday when you can enjoy free drinks and a little party.

We did full day scuba diving and the staff are very high standard divemasters. We did not get to do other trips due to the weather. The hotel also offer all non-motor sports free of charge. The house reef is very nice and we spotted a shark and lots of colorful fish and corals. Please try to go to the bridge at night where you can see manta rays in action.

At the end of the trip we did spent quite some time at quiet zone. It is very relaxing and we did recharge ourselves ready to come back to work.

At the end of the trip, staff will take care of you until you get to departure. They offer free tour of Male town if you have couple hours before your flight.

It is definitely a paradise for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peejy
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I did spend a lot of time doing research on The Place to go for our honeymoon - as you may be thinking, its a once in a lifetime!. I Looked into the W Retreat, the Shangri-La, Conrad, Four Seasons, etc... A colleague recommended the Conrad, as he had been there, so I decided to trust him - he is a well travelled guy! The result: my wife and I had the most amazing honeymoon we could ever dream of.

The resort is truly beautiful and the quality of the accommodation outstanding. We were able to stay at the standard water villa, a superior and the SPA water villa. It really makes the difference to go for the upgrade. You get your own jacuzzi on the terrace and the difference in size is notable. In the SPA villas you get your own treatment room! The rooms are immaculate and the staff are truly friendly.

There are lots of restaurants: seafood, japanese, asian mixed, european, underwater, heathy-balanced, etc... all outstanding. Worth trying them all! Even if you stay at buffet level, you can enjoy european, indian, chinese, japanese and italian food - all nicely cooked!

Although there is nothing I could qualify as negative from this resort, there is minor matter: the prices of food and wine at the restaurants... But hey, you probably won't go there every year! So "why not"!?

The reef where the resort is located is very pretty. When you go off snorkeling you will be able to see all kinds of underwater life: turtles, sea rays, etc...

Enjoy it!

#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!