“Unbelievable”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed a week and of course didn't want to leave. The service, the rooms, everything was Excellent!!! I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank jeff-greece
There are newer reviews for Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Reviewed 3 January 2011

Where do i begin? Should I start at the wonderful snorkeling and beautiful fish or the specatcular scenery? Either way I dont believe my words would do this place justice...

We arrived in Male at 3pm and were glad to find a conrad rep waiting for us to whisk us away to the Conrad lounge, where we recieved complimentary drinks and fruits and use of a clean bathroom and toilet to freshen up. We unfortunately didnt receive the fabled massages as other reviewers have. But we were happy enough sitting in an air conditioned room with snacks and drinks while we waited for our sea plane.

Thirty minutes later we were on our sea plane and extremely grateful to Conrad for providing ear plugs and water for the trip as it was quite loud and hot on the plane. The sea plane trip was quite good and it was nice to see the islands from the top. As we landed, we were greeted by a whole host of Conrad staff who seemed to be just awaiting your arrival, it made us feel really special.

A lovely cold towel and cocktail later and we were whisked away to our villa. We had booked a standard beach villa and had requested a room on the sunrise side of the island which they provided. We were very happy to be on the sunrise side of the island as it was definately the much better side with softer sand and a shallower lagoon which was good for us as we had a 3 year old. Also while we were there they were pumping sand from the ocean onto the sunset side of the island and that meant a big ugly pipe on the shoreline. Unfortunately it is something that all the islands have to do.

The room was nice and spacious with a great king-sized bed and and a spacious toilet in the room. There was a little courtyard that separated the bath area from the room. The his and hers basins were quite nice and there was an outdoor rain shower and palatial bath tub in the garden. The layout of the room was a bit silly especially the swing door between the room and the bathroom and after the first 2 days it became downright annoying. But that was the only thing that really bothered me. Room was always spotlessly clean and bed was good with great linen. Light switches in the room were a bit confusing but not too bad.

I loved the walk in closet and the nespresso machine. Showering outside was a novel experience and was actually quite nice. Bath products were all Molten Brown and were all nice except for the body lotion(I hated the smell). I tried to have a bubble bath once in the bath tub but the water never got hot enough and I think it was because my husband and son had just had a shower before that.

We were never short of bottled water at Conrad as you are constantly provided with it everywhere, in your room, at the pool and also at the business centre and gym. And if all else fails, just phone them and they will bring you more. We also liked receiving the different fruit everyday and my son loved guessing what the fruit of the day would be. My son also looked forward to recieving a stuffed animal everyday hidden under the sheets. It was these little things that made all the difference...

There is a free high tea at mandhoo everyday at 4, but we only ever made it there once as we were somehow always busy. We also recieved chilled friuts, water and cold towels at the poolside. And the happy hour at Rangali Bar from 6 to 7 everyday was quite worth it.

We snorkelled for the first time and absolutely loved it! The colourful fish were spectular and kept luring us back to the water. I cannot swim well so I snorkelled with a life vest and it was just wonderful for a non-swimmer like me as you are able to see spectacular fish in shallow water. And the water itself was out of this world....perfectly warm and 3 shades of blue. Absolute heaven and the 3 shades of blue are best seen from the adults island which we took the dhoni across to see one afternoon.

We had breakfast every morning at Atoll Market which had a big variety of food to cater for all needs. Try the mango jam, it was quite lovely. The staff at Atoll Market were absolutely wonderful and really went out of their way especially for my son. We ate at Mandhoo Spa one night which was quite wonderful. The amosphere was really great and it was nice having clear water all around us. Be warned though: they automatically serve Evian water to the table and also the protions are really small and I am not a big eater. So you will have to order two dishes. An average dish was around $25. Taste wise, the food was really good. I really loved the fish kebab that they served as a starter, it was divine. Rangali Bar provided the biggest portions and was surprisingly the cheapest of all the restaurants. Average meal was around $110 for 3 of us. We enjoyed the curries alot and I loved the buffalo wings. I also loved the coconut milkshake there. We ordered room service a couple of times and the picnic basket was good value for money. We enjoyed a picnic one night on the beach outside our villa which was really special.

We went on the sunset dhoni cruise and really loved it, we saw lots of dolphins swimming along our boat! Amazing. I had two massages, hot stone therapy and the back and neck massage. They were both good. My husband also organised a bath experience for my birthday which I totally loved. There were candles everywhere and rose petals in the bath and a small bowl of strawberries. Really wonderful!

My birthday was made so special by the Conrad team, they set a table for me for breakfast with flowers and a piece of cake. And later on in the day they sent another cake to the room which was really great. We had booked at the sunset grill for my birthday and they laid a table on the deck for us and our table was decorated with happy birthday in coloured rice grains. We had the most amazingly huge lobster for just $50. A truly memorable day....

We only had a few gripes, there were a bit of ants in our room but nothing serious. Also we weren't so happy with our island host. We felt he never really bothered after we had checked in. In fact we tried calling him a few times once and he never bothered to return our calls. The night before our check out, we tried to find out about our sea plane departure the next day but found out that he had left the island! Overall he wasnt too bad, he did most of what we expected, but he was the only person that we didnt recieve 5 star treatment from!

All in all, a wonderfully beautiful resort and an experience we will never forget. Just hope that we will be fortunate enough to experience this heaven again...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank nasoo
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This property exceeded ALL our expectations! My husband, myself and our two college-age kids went on this long-anticipated vacation and visited this property for 6 nights before Christmas and we all had an absolutely wonderful time.

The property - Spotless, serene and amazingly beautiful! The infinity pool on the smaller island is our favorite place to hang out. Every direction you look is heaven on earth! Although the resort had at least 80% occupancy rate while we were there, we never felt it was crowded. In fact, there were times when we felt we were the only ones there!

The water villas - Well-kept and clean. May be a bit dated and not as private with windows looking into the next villa... however, when I can walk out of the villa's private deck and down the stairs into the tranquil reef and be a good 200 feet out, gazing at colorful fish and abundant coral or watch the sun set, I have no complaints!

The staff - Always smiling and always helpful. We missed our connecting flight in Dubai and had to call in last minute to revise our seaplane schedule. The staff worked efficiently to help us get re-booked on another flight and everything went smoothly. And, as a result of the later arrival, we missed our original reservation for dinner at Wine Cellar. The next wine pairing dinner was fully booked, but our Island Host (Jennifer), worked miracle and we were able to get in. She is wonderful and always so helpful. Also, the breakfast staff at Vilu are exceptional! They were so nice, even when my son orders a second helping of steak and eggs just before closing. The only staff we consider not too friendly is the afternoon tea attendant at Mandhoo. But heck, that is just 1 out of 500...

The restaurants - Vilu for breakfast every morning. We loved the food selection and the ability to order a-la-carte. Everything was fresh tasting and well presented. Dinner at Ithaa was another stunner. We were not sure if the restaurant would be worthy of its high price tag... it is. Watching the sky slowly darken while being underwater with giant rays gliding by while dining on great food, was an experience our family will never forget. Dinner at Wine Cellar was another home run! Sommelier Michael was extremely informative and I loved his "mystery wine" pairing. Our Wine Cellar dinner group was a super fun bunch.

Diving - We went out for a 2-tank morning dive. We saw lots of beautiful corals, colorful fish and sharks. However, the visibility on the day we went out was not as great as we had hoped. What I really liked was the precaution the diving staff took before we went out, even for certified divers like us. The day before, we were given an orientation dive to assess our diving abilities (including mask clearing), amount of weights needed and equipment check. That helped our dive the next day go smoothly without a hitch.

Sunset fishing - My husband and my son went on the sunset fishing excursion and each caught a fish. The Rangali Bar fillet and grilled the fish and we all had it for lunch the next day. It was delicious! They highly recommend the excursion!

One important thing... if you are visiting the resort, make sure you walk the "bridge" at night and look for giant rays under the spot lights. They will come up and flip around and around. Quite a sight!

Yes, everything at the resort is very, very expensive. But considering the resort is in the middle of the ocean and how far everything had to travel to get there, we understand the high prices. If we had wanted to cut back on our travel budget, we would opt to go to Hawaii and have a good time... But we paid a bit more and had a GREAT time. It was worth every extra penny!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank gccc116
Reviewed 28 December 2010

First of all, I would like to say that this is the first time that I write a review and the reason that I do so is because I used Trip-advisor many times and I really appreciate the help I got from this website.

We went to Maldives on the 10th - 19th of December 2010 for our honeymoon. We had the best time of our life. We where very lucky with the weather as 2 weeks before we went it was raining a lot. From the first day we where there to the last the weather was the best....no clouds, an absolute dream. We stayed in the Deluxe Water Villa and I am glad we did. It is more private and bigger than the water villas. If you go there request to get the rooms from 208 - 230 which are opposite the house reef. Those are the best in terms of the winds, the sea and obviously you have the house reef in front of you. The food is very good as well, and compared to other resorts, Conrad has 7 restaurants that you can choose from, which gives you a variety of food. The Atol Market is a buffet with indian food, thai, italian, Japanese etc. Its a good place to go and eat with decent food. Koko Grill is Japanese, where you sit under the stars and the chef there is great. The food at Koko grill is very very good. The same for the Mandhoo restaurant which is an organic place. We also tried the Lobster and Champaign night, again under the stars and it was lobster all you can eat.....excellent. All restaurants apart from the Atol Market are expensive but they worth every penny. The Itha underwater restaurant I would suggest to go for cocktail instead of dinner as the Koko, Mnadhoo and the Wine Cellar restaurants are much better..
Note: For all restaurants apart from the Atol Market you need to book...so if you are planning in going to Conrad please book in advance, especially for the Koko Grill and the Lobster and Champaign night.

The stuff are really friendly and helpful. I was really impressed. The excursions are also well organised and Conrad is one of the resorts where they organise for you to go and swim with Whale Sharks....amazing. The house reef is one of the best in the Maldives. We saw small sharks, turtles, mantas etc. If you are into snorkelling, diving or even a beach sun bathing person then the Maldives is the place for you.

I read one review that the resort was loud at night this is hard to believe. Conrad is a place that you can spend days without seeing anyone or hear anyone if you really want to..In the middle of the island there is the accommodation of the resort personnel. On Fridays and Saturdays they have there own parties so if you walk outside their premisses I guess you could hear them, but from your room, absolutely not!!! Conrad was voted 6 times best resort in the world and while I was there I did realise why. The spa is great as well. They have a water spa area on the second island and it was great.

If I am lucky to go back, I will definitely go back to Conrad for sure. It is expensive, especially if you go to all the restaurants but its worth every penny in my opinion.

4  Thank MrFamoutin
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I have very mixed feelings with regard to this hotel. The location is of course awesome. Two little atols in the Maldives with a vibrant house reef, what do you want more? The bungalows are nice too, but have some drawbacks, mainly that they are not very well soundproofed (woke up due too birds every day). Food is very average and ridiculously expensive. Prices for food and other services seem to be hidden too. Service definitely below par for a Conrad. Very nice fitness centre. Thumbs up though for providing free water bottles everywhere, free Nescafe and free (but excrutiatingly slow) internet. I will not return because the price/quality ratio is just awful.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank cyclinglover
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We went to the Maldives for to relax and celebrate the birthday of my wife
We had a quit expensive Water Villa.
We stayed three nights and two of them we could not sleep with the high volume of music.
Last night they started to repair the port with the hammers in the middle of the night.
Later in the night the people working in the village started to have a party with very loud disco music.
All these music and repair noise was very disturbingly in our villa.
And the worst there is not any apology for this inconvenience at all.
If anybody thinks to travel to this hotel, I would highly suggest to think twice, unless you go to the Maldives for not to sleep and not to relax.

30  Thank sans50
Reviewed 19 December 2010

This was truly a honeymoon in paradise. We were blessed with fabulous weather and great experiences. My top 3 experiences: 1) diving and snorkeling with whale sharks, 2) sitting in the hot tub in our private deck watching the sunset, and 3) the 4 hand couples massage. We spent five nights here followed by another five nights at the Soneva Gili. After lots of research, this resort was selected for the private Jacuzzi on the deck of the water villas which was a perfect way to end the day.

SEAPLANE - watch the weight restriction for luggage so you are not surprised. Be prepared and come dressed for 80 degree weather before boarding the seaplane. It is hot on the plane. It is also loud but you will be provided with earplugs. You will be picked up by a Conrad shuttle and taken to the seaplane terminal where Conrad has their own private lounge. There will be drinks, appetizers, and a complimentary massage waiting for you in the lounge. A view of the resort will be on the right side of the plane. Have your camera ready.

DIVING - I am going to cover this in detail because I feel there were not enough reviews about the diving on tripadvisor. The dive shop here is top notch with very knowledgeable staff and the cleanest dive boats I've ever been on. All of the staff on the boat is friendly, knowledgeable, and fun to talk to. All of your equipment is assembled for you by the time you get on your boat (but I would recommend double checking your gear). Nitrox is free. Dive and boat briefings are thorough. After your dive, you are served hot tea or coffee and fruit. They have bottles of water. There are also plenty of towels and bathrobes to use. There was more than enough room on the boat and a divemaster is assigned for every four divers. After a briefing of the dive site, you break out into smaller groups with your divemaster who will review hand signals, etc. A divemaster or instructor will jump in the water first to determine direction and strength of the current based on a scale of 1 to 5. All the diving here is drift diving and I felt safe at all times. The toilet is the cleanest I've ever encountered on any dive boat complete with soap and lotion. They require a "check in" dive at 11am in their lagoon (this means you will miss the morning dive) to determine proper weight and knowledge of the following skills - mask clearing, regulator removal and recovery, sharing air, and neutral buoyancy. This check up dive was free and we were lucky enough to see a large octopus in their lagoon! Daily dives are 1 tank in the mornings around 8am and 1 tank in the afternoons around 3pm. We also did a full day 3 tank whale shark excursion at a cost of $339 per person including gear. The sign-up list notes a supplemental price of $125 which misled many people to believe (including us) that they were only paying $125 for a three tank whale shark dive. The $125 is “supplemental” and is in addition to the cost of three guided dives and equipment rental for the day. This is a lot of money but well worth it. A breakfast of pastries was available along with a huge box lunch. We were able to snorkel with a whale shark and we also had a more intimate encounter with another whale shark on our 2nd dive!!! This was unforgettable and the BEST dive experience I've ever had. Aside from the whale sharks and octopus, the big names we saw were huge Napoleon wrasse, leaf fish, sharks, spotted eagle rays, turtles, and lion fish. It was the tail end of manta season, so no mantas while diving, but you can see them from the bridge between the two islands at night. The dive shop does not sell Maldives dive shirts. We couldn’t find dive shirts at the airport either.

VILLA - We stayed in a Superior water villa with a jacuzzi on the couples only island and it was wonderful. My only complaint is I did not sleep well here but that could be due to severe jet lag. I noticed the beds were harder than most. The motor for the jacuzzi makes a large humming noise so we had to turn it off before going to bed. There were no bugs. I usually get bitten all the time and I was not once bitten here. They spray the island for mosquitoes about once a week and it seems to work really well. We highly recommend honeymooners stay in a water villa on the couples only island. We noticed LOTS of children on the main island.

SPA - We enjoyed a 4 hand couples massage in the Overwater Spa. The cost was about $500. This was an AMAZING experience. Two hands are just not enough anymore. If you don't have a jacuzzi in your room, you can bring your swimsuit to enjoy their jacuzzi which is beautifully located on a deck overlooking the water.

FOOD – Food was a low priority for us in terms of allocating our budget. We knew we wanted to spend most of our money on diving and thought about treating ourselves to a Shipwreck dinner for about $600, but instead we decided to forego the fancy dinner and splurge on the spa treatment. We believe we chose wisely. We were able to spend about $60 a night for dinner by eating at the Rangali bar, Quiet Zone bar, and ordering room service (there will be an extra $15 charge). The food was decent with sufficient portion sizes and a lot less expensive than the other restaurants. We had 11am cocktails at Ithaa ($55 per person) and were lucky enough to have the entire place to ourselves. You will get a glass of champagne and some appetizers. Afternoon tea at Mandhoo is complimentary between 4pm - 5pm all you can eat. Happy hour at Vilu Bar is 5pm – 6pm with unlimited drinks and a small appetizer to hold you over until dinner. Take advantage of these places if you’re on a budget. Breakfast was also included in our package. You can take some bread, cheese, and fruit with you back to the room to save for lunch or a snack.

BUSINESS CENTER - Internet access is complimentary but the speed is painfully slow. Some days are faster than others. The room has good air conditioning and always has bottled water and refreshing towels on hand. Come here to stock up on bottled water.

HONEYMOON PERKS – We were treated to champagne and fruit upon arrival, dinner at Mandhoo (beverages excluded, bring your own bottled water), bath experience in your villa, and a choice of one of the excursions valued at $50. We chose the sunset cruise on a dhoni. On the sunset cruise there were unlimited drinks (including soft drinks) and a hefty serving of finger sandwiches, egg rolls, and chicken nuggets.

From beginning to end, we were treated like royalty during our stay. I was extremely sad to leave this place. We will definitely come back to enjoy the diving and four hand massage again. This time we split our time between the Conrad, the Soneva Gili, and continued onto Dubai. I thought 10 nights would be enough in paradise. It was not. Next time, we will try 15 – 20 nights split between three different resorts in the Maldives. The Conrad will be one of them.

7  Thank MrsScubap21
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Sun Island Resort
Sun Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!