“A cut above the rest”

Dusit Thani Maldives
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Simply put the Dusit Thani represents that rare combination of exceptional service, luxury amenity for a price that, in our opinion, cannot be matched anywhere in the Maldives.

We have just spent an extraordinary week at the Dusit Thani, where we stayed in a beach villa. Having stayed at an over water resort in the Hilton Iru Fushi resort previously, we considered upgrading when we first arrived. This was entirely unnecessary given the size, comfort and privacy afforded by our villa.

Despite having only recently opened, the service standards at this resort were noticeable higher than at other properties (the Conrad and Hilton Iru Fushi). This was especially evident at the thai restaurant - Benjarong. We ate at the Benjarong 5 nights out of 7. Having eaten at Nahm in London, Sailor's Thai in Sydney and several exceptional thai restaurants in Melbourne, the offerings at Benjarong were world class.

The house reef is stunning and realistically there is little need to venture further. For divers, the dive centre offers a complete suite of diving trips to local sites. Out of my four dives, I was lucky to spot stingray, nudibranches, napoleon wrasses and several reef sharks.

The Spa has opened and treatments are now offered in the purpose built "treetop" rooms. Again the level of service was top-notch.

Increasingly the best resorts are defined not by their ability to provide a generic 5 star experience, but rather their willingness to cater to the specific whims of their guests. This capacity to provide a "bespoke" experience is what separated the Dusit Thani from previous resorts we have stayed at in the Maldives - the Hilton Iru Fushi and to a lesser extent the Conrad. To provide some examples of this - I requested sliced mango on the first day at breakfast. Every morning thereafter sliced mango arrived without request. Similarly, we found the cocktails somewhat watered down on our first day. Thereafter all cocktails were fortified according to our taste. We wanted to try thai cooking and despite not offering this, the resort was able to put together a 2 hr cooking class for us at short notice.

The resort was nearly empty when we visited, enhancing our sense of privacy. Despite the Maldives' reputation as a high cost destination, I believe this resort offers substantial value, when compared to other similar properties. I have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: The sea planes take off and land in front of the lagoon villas, so this area tends to be noisy. The...
8  Thank smurf08

Reviewed 26 May 2012

What more can I say, Dusit Thani is a stunning property, our trip from Male' on the seaplane was the perfect start to an amazing stay, we were welcomed in true style & our entire stay continued to be the best holiday we have had, the most amazing food & wines imaginable are available, the manager Rein & head chef Jaume added to the quality & delicious treats, all our meals were amazing, I can not say I had a bad meal there, my daughter is 5 years old & to be honest "energetic", the Staff in Sand bar played with my daughter giving her their attention & care always in their kind genuine way giving myself & my wife time to enjoy the stunning sunsets & cocktails, the room we had was a connecting family beach villa with a pool, elegant quality interior & again in villa services & food second to none, we tried a private beach BBQ on the beach beside our villa as a parting gift, the service & of coarse the food ended an amazing stay, the worst part of our stay was leaving, needless to say we'll be back.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We had a most wonderful time at the Dusit Thani Maldives! It has the perfect mix of 5 star service and a really warm and welcoming atmosphere. The island, the villas, the staff, food and the snorkeling are world class and the only thing I regret is that we only stayed one week.

The island:
Mudhdhoo island is quite densely grown with palm and banyan trees and lots of other plants and bushes. The lush green is a great contrast to the white sand and turquoise water.

The resort:
Obviously, everything was brand new so especially nice. The Sand Bar next to the amazing infinity pool is great for a sundowner (the cocktails have some room for improvement) and the Sala Bar above Benjaron is also very nice. The Spa had not been completely finshed but it’s set on pillars so that the treatment rooms will be up among the palm trees – should be excellent! All in all, everything is very stylish but warm with lots of wood and nice colours. You can definitely see the Thai influence but in a very subtle way.

The villas:
We stayed at two different beach villas. First we had villa 308, which is just between the Sand bar and the Benjaron restaurant. The location is great as you watch out straight onto the lagoon (you can see the ocean villas to your left). The villa itself was a dream: tastefully decorated to a very high standard with lots of wood - we felt at home straight away. From the terrace you are only a few steps away from the sea. The biggest highlight for us was the open-air bathroom. It was approx. 40 sqm with a stretch of sand and a lovely open air shower at the end. With the palm trees overhead it was truly amazing!
We spent the last 4 nights at beach villa 109 which is between the Seagrill and the main jetty. The villa was identical but had an additional plunge pool in the bathroom. We didn't use this much but it was a beautiful feature. The stretch of beach here was even better: the beach was a bit wider and curved out. Because the hotel had just opened there weren't that many guests and we sometimes had the beach all to ourselves. Trees and bushes between the villas and sunloungers ensure privacy in any case but feeling alone on a tropical island is obviously even better!

The food:
Breakfast at the Market was fabulous. There was everything there from freshly squeezed juices of your choice to cake, pastries, bread, muesli, waffles, eggs, fruit etc. What I loved as well were the Asian dishes from noodle soup to curries, chapattis and sushi. I can't think of anything missing.
For lunch we ordered from the in villa dining menu which was a good mix of burgers, salads, pasta and Thai or Asian dishes. The portions were generous and the prices justified ($20-$25 for a burger or pad thai). Some early reviews said that the portions were very small but I think they’ve made adjustments.
Since the Market was not open for dinner yet we had the choice between the Thai restaurant and the sea grill. If you love Thai food you will spend some very happy hours at Benjaron. The beef salad was the best and most tender I have ever had. The setting is very nice too and there is a bar upstairs.
The sea grill was very good too with a great selection of fish and steak as well as pasta, a curry of the day and some specials. The wine selection was ok and fairly priced. They seem to have adjusted the prices for the island water as well. At $4 per 1 ltr bottle, it was fine.

The snorkeling:
Another absolute highlight is the house reef. I have done some great snorkeling before but this has just exceeded anything: you can see quite a bit on the beach side of the reef but the really great stuff is on the outside. We went snorkeling every day and often it felt like we had jumped straight into an aquarium: various schools of fish (hundreds at a time), sea turtles (around Benjaron), trigger fish, a sting ray, morey eel, lionfish and we were even lucky enough to see some mini manta rays (they are called sth else but they look pretty much the same just not as big). It was unbelievable! You should make the most of the snorkeling it can't get better than this!
We also went diving a couple of times and the dive centre staff are super friendly and very professional!

The staff:
The staff at the hotel are all exceptionally warm and friendly. There weren't that many guests yet so we had their full attention all the time and learned a bit about some of their backgrounds. It seems the hotel has done a great job to focus them on team work and the atmosphere amongst staff seemed really good which I think is a great asset to them and to the guests.

A big thanks goes to Aysha, our butler, who made our stay even better. She welcomed us when coming off the sea plane, showed us round the hotel, made sure we got our snorkeling kit, spoke to the doctor about a blocked ear and popped by once a day to check if we are happy and to chat a bit. She knew about the best snorkeling spots and was genuinely happy and excited when we told her about our own discoveries. Checkin and checkout was done in the room and after breakfast on the last day so we didn't once have to go to reception.

6  Thank Daniela S
Reviewed 22 May 2012

that place is really a great one! all the employee are not just friendly, they are awesome
!thanks all for a great time with everything was perfect! special thanks to the wonderful Lauren Arthur and Rein van Zandfort for the many informations about the island, the country and the trips to all the nice places (Lauren)!
Will never forget the time on Dusit Thani with luxury, great service, great food und lovely staff!
thanks Peggy& Uwe from germany

Room Tip: all rooms we saw are perfect. we lived at one ocean villa!
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Even though the resort was just opened few months ago, but all things seem already fall in their places. The room is comfortable, relaxing and spacious. Most of the room is with private pool, but who will need the private pool when the main pool is very beautiful. Not to mention the white sandy beach. Room also equips with Bose sound system so you can plug in your iPod and you can enjoy your favorite music. Love their Bath room amenity, Molton Brown.
They have the beautiful rich house reef around the whole island. You don’t need to go snorkeling somewhere else, plenty of fish and sea animals to see. I saw turtle, octopus, squids, and all kind of fish at the house reef. Such a treat.
The management is care for the environmental protection. There is no plastic bottle water use on the island. The whole island is full of big tress.
Food and services is also great. All food is fresh and very tasty. All staff are very attentive.
Recommend the Thai restaurant, Benjarong. Good food and beautiful atmosphere.
It’s really wonderful. I recommend this hotel.

4  Thank AJ1176
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed here 4 days with friends and my mouth was just hanging open the first day. Maldives itself is a spectacular place, and this resort just did it perfectly. Granted, it's not fully open yet, so I can imagine how much more amazing it would be when everything is complete.

Check in was done in my villa which was gigantic by any standard. I had my own infinity pool which gave me a perfect view and access to the really calm Indian Ocean. The room is furnished with every modern convenience - WiFi, Internet TV, a Bose iPod dock which pipes music to the whole villa, a really comfy bed with a pillow menu of about 8 kinds of pillows (try it!), a Nespresso machine, a wine fridge. The bathroom is just huge with twin sinks, a gorgeous and deep bath, Molton Brown toiletries, the works. I'm very keen on details, and I could tell that no expense was spared when it came to furnishing this hotel.

The facilities all around are top notch. The biggest infinity pool in Maldives is just perfect to hang out in and do a few laps. The grounds are the perfect combination of manicured and wild. Just enough to make you feel safe but remind you that you're in paradise.

Service was truly impeccable in every aspect. I've stayed in top properties all over the world, and this is on par in every way. There was never a glitch or a hint of inconsistency anywhere I went. I got the same level of professionalism, ease of communication, genuine concern and courtesy from everyone from my butler to the staff I would encounter while biking around the island.

Even though the hotel wasn't 100% operational yet, I can safely say I enjoyed about 90% of it. They ingeniously rotated the dining venues throughout the day, and we didn't mind at all. I think the only thing not fully functioning was the spa, but our massage treatments were done in other villas. The food was very good, especially the Thai food at Benjarong. Breakfast was always a treat, because the selection was very wide and the bread was amazing.

We managed to do a couple of boat rides which just showed the kind of impeccable service this hotel does. We did a snorkeling trip on one of the nearby islands, and the crew were quick to give us cold towels on the boat and do a quick umbrella picnic setup on the sand as soon as we docked. On our last night, we did a sunset boat ride complete with champagne and canapes. It was for the books.

In a few weeks, this place will be fully operational. I can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Go all the way and get the Ocean Villa. It's worth it!
3  Thank ManilaMacedon
Reviewed 13 May 2012

As an experienced luxury connoisseur this traveler is highly impressed with the Dusit Thani Maldives. The design, infrastructure, authentic "Thai" hospitality, food & beverage, staff training up to the smallest details - everything was thought of in perfect precision. The opening of this property easily turns the rival resorts into amateur playgrounds - I have stayed at Four Seasons and the new Dusit Thani Maldives is far more luxurious! Best of all is the Thai hospitality - unparalleled in the global hospitality industry. Highly recommended for those expecting perfection.

Room Tip: Ocean Villas - nothing tops it!
3  Thank JRPRAsia