“to see heaven while living....”

Dusit Thani Maldives
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Istanbul, Turkey
“to see heaven while living....”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed 6 days at Dusit Thani in a beach villa (number 315) with family at semester break in this February .We would say that evertyhing was amazing, ocean(quite salty), sand (very clean),sun, people, jungle...All staff , especially Nahed was very friendly, polite,courteous and excellent.Our culinary culture was different but it was so much fun to taste different cuisines.I think the food prices were not too expensive excluding wine.But here is Maldives ;) Water was free, this is very important.And exotic fruits,you should definitely taste them all...Everyone has a bike,you can ride by bicycles everywhere in the island.There were no mosquitoes,because island to frequent spraying against mosquitoes.There are many things to tell, but best of all, you go to Dusit Thani and see heaven while living...Thank you very much for everything, lets meet again;)

Room Tip: If you come with your children, i would recommend stay the beach villas.They can play on the sand, m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Tabu34,

Thank you very much for your appreciative review. We are thrilled that you had an amazing time with your family in this sunny and picturesque part of the world. It is a delight to read that you found our colleagues polite, friendly and courteous. Your valuable commendations will certainly be shared with everyone, most especially Nahed.

We agree with you that it is hard to express our island’s beauty in words, but you definitely came close with “Heaven while living”. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you back to our ‘heavenly’ island!

Desmond Hatton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I spent a v. nice holiday In an amazing tropical weather and in a place that mix between dreams and reality ..
It was a family trip with my daughter and my husband :
The hospitalization was amazing .. All the stuff members were very friendly/helpful and cheerful still remember (Nahed, Ishaq,Gamal) =) .. The villa was very nice and very comfortable , the view was adorable and there was a privacy on the beach and i could make snorkeling and see a lot of fish near the beach ..
The breakfast was really tasty

The only comment is regarding the private pool, it was a bit small but actually the beach was a good compensatory ;)

Stayed October 2013
Dear Ayabaroudy,

Thank you for sharing with us your unforgettable experience and appreciating our colleagues. We take pride that we have been successful in making this trip a memorable one for your family. We have passed on your kind comments to Nahed, Ishaq and Gamal.

Thank you for complimenting our breakfast spread, I will ensure to share this with our F&B team. We are also pleased to share that our main pool is the largest infinity swimming pool in the Maldives, and all our guests are free to use it for a more enjoyable swim. We truly welcome your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you again at Dusit Thani Maldives!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I guess that any holiday in the Maldives is going to make a large hole in one's piggy bank so you want to try to get as many of your requirements met by wherever you go. I have to say that Dusit Thani Maldives met and exceeded all the requirements that my wife and I had and we had an absolutely fabulous holiday there. We have been very fortunate over the last few years of always getting away for a break in the sun after the seasonal festivities in Scotland and we are looking for sun and warmth, warm water teeming with fish for snorkelling, interesting, light and tempting food, comfortable and luxurious accomodation and attentive and wonderful staff - Dusit Thani Maldives delivers on all fronts. It would be unfair to mention individually the wonderful staff who we met and who looked after us so well but I feel I can mention one or two. As with all great enterprises everything stops and starts at the GM and in Desmond Hatton one has all the attributes of a great Captain of the ship and he has a wonderful team of folk supporting him. One of this team is James Williams the Executive Chef who oversees the great array of cuisine available on the island. The choice of culinary options is one of the reasons we chose Dusit Thani - there is the Market which serves themed dinners every evening on the decking or the beach, the Grill where one can dine a la carte and Benjarong where one can eat beautiful, spicy food. Breakfast at the Market - orchestrated front of house by the wonderful, sunny Azeem - is a tour de force bringing together breakfast from every corner of the globe. We must also mention the cocktails and canapes at the Sand Bar at 6:00pm every evening with the sunny bar staff and fantastic sunsets - photographed by all guests. The personnel who look after the Dive Centre and who are responsible for kitting out guests with whatever equipment they require - in our case fins, masks and snorkells - are very professional and very good natured dealing with potenetial divers and swimmers from all over the world with varying degrees of ability. We were also delighted to meet the resident Marine Biologist, Lauren, from Dalkeith, just south of Edinburgh. Lauren has studied and accumulated a huge knowledge on all things to do with coral reefs and she leads amazing snorkelling expeditions around local reefs pointing out wonderful creatures who most of us would never even see. Another of our stars was our lovely Chinese butler - Amy - who attended to anything we could possibly need. The island is quite small but each villa is provided with old fashioned bicycles - and cycling to breakfast on a sandy path though beautiful green jungle foliage in February is certainly my kind of heaven. My wife regularly used the well equiped gym but as this is not my forte I kidded myself that the cycling between restaurants and bars burned up a few calories. Lastly, Dusit Thani Maldives have a very active policy on the environment and have re-usable glass bottles and a small water bottling plant. So instead of having lots of small plastic bottles to dispose of they steralise and re-use their own bottles. They have accumulated all sorts of devices for the safe disposal and re-cycling of all waste and have a piece of kit that grinds wine and beer bottles into a fine powder which they mix with cement and use for concrete parasol stands and the like.
We would certainly reccomend Dustit Thani Maldives to anyone looking for an island paradise with very friendly and professional staff who will make your vacation very rewarding.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear GrahamT,

Sawadee Krub!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about our services and commending our colleagues. We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations during your sunny holiday! Chef James and his culinary brigade are pleased to read that you have found our cuisine delectable, and Azeem on the service side is equally motivated. Thank you for appreciating the efforts of Lauren and Amy as they strive to spearhead every guest activity with utmost care and attention. And as you know, our dive center is an indispensable part of our team to ensure our guests are provided professional support in the water at all times.

Being part of the Baa atoll community which is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, preserving the environment is one of our primary concerns. The very work fabric and environment-friendly processes we have established-- ranging from sterilizing our water bottles to recycling the waste-- is part of our resort’s DNA. We would love to have you back with us, should you plan another visit to this idyllic part of the world in the near future.

Baa Atoll
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The amazing thing about swimming pool is not only because it's big , very beautiful sea view, but also a big tree inside the pool, you can stay in the shadow if the sunshine is too strong. The Thai food here is one of the best I ever had, service is also the best.

Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Yidong H,

Our sincere thank you for your appreciative comments describing your recent stay experience at Dusit Thani Maldives. It is incredible to read that you are thrilled with the resort’s infinity swimming pool coupled with the panoramic sea view. We are pleased to share that we have the largest infinity swimming pool in the Maldives so far, measuring 750 square metres and built around an ancient banyan tree.

It has been a pleasure to have you with us and we shall be delighted to welcome you back to Dusit Thani Maldives!

Baa Atoll
Reviewed 2 February 2014

*Amazing location - lagoon , under sea life, water cleanses
*Kind staff - most of staff members were helpful, kind, smiley all the time except some of local staff members.
*room privacy , cleaning, replenish - wonderful!!! Very satisfied ;)
*food - I was but worried about food, mostly food menu are very restrict, taste bad in other resort I've been. But Dusit Thani was great! Specially Benjarong(Thai restaurant ) was super!! Breakfast was good but better go early, seems like few items are not available to replenish.

Room Tip: No Mosquitos while I stayed. Seems like well controlled by the hotel. It took awhile to use hot wat...
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

Dear Sei R,

Thank you very much, we are delighted to know you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you appreciate our location, lagoon and the exquisite marine life surrounding our island. The team and I are very encouraged by your commendations for the various aspects of our service. Our Executive Chef James and his culinary team are grateful as well for your compliments of our varied cuisine, especially our inherent Thai culture evident in the delectable cuisine at our signature restaurant Benjarong.

Please know that we use Molton Brown amenities, a well-established luxury line that is generally suitable for most skin types, but we acknowledge that guests may always have their own personal preferences. Regarding the electrical system in our villas, the AC’s are connected to the water heaters as an environmental initiative. If the AC is switched off, the water heater will automatically turn off as well unless activated separately. Our apologies as your butler should have informed you this during your villa orientation.

Thank you for appreciating our pest control mechanisms. We are pleased to share that we are currently exploring natural methods of eradicating mosquitoes and we just had a consultant visit us who thoroughly screened our systems and trained our team. We are also targeting to totally eliminate pesticide use before the year ends.

Our constant endeavour shall remain not just to meet, but to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dusit Thani Maldives for more authentic and gracious Thai hospitality!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Went to Dusit Thani Maldives (DTM) as a day use guest. I had wanted to survey the resorts in Baa Atoll before actually staying there as a guest, and so I stayed in a guesthouse instead. Airfare from Singapore to Male is becoming cheaper nowadays.

2 inherent problems about this resort that brought about its unfavorable ratings:

1) Service
On arrival, I was greeted by one of the hosts of the resort, Val. Since I was only there as a day use guest and not as their "actual guest", Val didn't bother to explain much about the resort to me nor show me around the place. She simply dropped me off at the bar near the infinity pool and told me to "just walk around and let us know if you need any help". Val didn't even bother to send me off at the end of the day. Which very much explained how their guests were treated.
Some of the resort staff would nod and smile at me whenever I walked past them, while others would looked at my direction, then looked away, literally seeing me as transparent. Hello???? Isn't this a 5-star resort?? Since the resort was not fully occupied at that time, why did they pretend to appear busy when they were not? Superficial.

2) Beaches and surroundings
Rotted trees were found littered on the beaches, especially at the area where the water sports centre was. There was a huge tree which had already uprooted itself and its trunk and branches had turned blackish and whitish, with litter (old cloths, etc) found all around it, yet no one seemed to bother to remove that unsightly tree. Other trees were also seen either dead or dying. The beaches were narrow and also eroded to a great extent. Unsightly sand bags were found lined up very close to the ocean villas and the bar. Very unpicturesque.

I would not recommend DTM to anyone based on the unpleasant experiences above!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
14 Thank BlessedSamantha
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
BlessedSamantha, thank you for your feedback.

After reading your review, we thoroughly checked our files for documented day-use guests in the month of January and did not find your stay on record. Many resorts including our own do not permit walk-ins, rather we accept day visitors on a case-to-case basis by prior appointment, during the quiet periods. Accepted requests are then booked as actual guests of the resort.

We are disappointed to learn that you found your couple of hours at the resort highly unsatisfactory that it warranted a poor review. Our staff recalls having accepted your telephoned request for lunch access to our all-day dining restaurant – not a day use visit, which would not have been possible at the time given the busy period.

A registered day guest will go through an island orientation and introduction to facilities, arrival and departure procedures, personal butler assignment, and so forth. As such, I humbly maintain that we believe your review does not accurately reflect a true guest experience at our resort. However, I sincerely regret that your expectations were not met.

Please do allow me to address some of the points you mentioned.

We see that you had wandered the back of house/restricted areas on your own. As with many islands, the sand shifts seasonally to different locations on the island. The photos you have posted are from our second pier, which mainly serves as the area for offloading resort supplies. This time of year we are experiencing some erosion here and our team is working hard to rectify this situation.

We were running full in January, having just concluded the festive season and entering into the Chinese New Year holidays. You were correctly informed by our staff that the resort was nearly full at the time, although this was not visibly evident due to the layout of our villas which provides plenty of privacy.

The sandbag barrier was put in place in 2012 to protect the beach from erosion, and to maintain the structural integrity of the infinity swimming pool and the outdoor bar deck. With the advice of coastal engineers as well as the Environmental Protection Agency, we trust it to be the greenest solution in keeping the beach intact. It has not caused any disruption and we commonly receive commendation from guests for our environmental approach.

The two island bunnies which freely roamed our staff areas have been bathed and transferred to a local island.

Should you decide to visit us again, it would be my pleasure to personally take you around our island on a proper tour. We hope to be given a chance to conduct one according to our standards.

I do appeal that the above review is an undeserved assessment, as ample time is necessary for us to impart what we are about, and for you to experience the true grace of Muhdhdhoo Island. On your next visit we hope to better represent our brand of Thai hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We spend a week for new years there. Was our second stay there, but the first with the complete family (4 children) and all of us enjoyed it. A real paradise for all... First our buttler (Nahed) was so kind with us and the children (our last daughter is still asking for her...). She was so efficient helping us to manage our little team.
So what to say on the hotel: a quiet paradise, excellent food (market is excellent for the children) magnificient infinity pool (safe for children), snorekling easy with young child (they saw a lot of turtle and nemo... What else for them?).
So we would recommend it for family...
Finaly Thanks for all to the dusit team and Nahed!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank loveonthedunes
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear loveonthedunes,

We were very delighted to have you back over the festive season. Thank you for choosing to visit us again, this time with your beautiful family. With all your past travels to these islands, I am honoured that you have chosen us as your favourite! We are happy that this time around your little ones were able to experience the colourful marine life, our new and enchanced kids club facilities, and the natural beauty of our island.

Your comments will certainly be shared with our team, and Nahed in particular will be recognised for the gracious hospitality she extended to you to make your stay memorable. Your review is certainly a great motivator for all our team members.

We hope to see you again soon!

Yours sincerely,