“Paradise island and fantastic service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reethi Beach Resort

Reethi Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Paradise island and fantastic service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I spent two fabulous weeks on Reethi Beach at the beginning of October. This was our second visit to the Maldives but our first to Reethi Beach. We would most certainly return to this island and would highly recommend it.

It is a beautiful island offering exactly what you'd expect from paradise. With white sandy beaches and the beautiful turquoise blue ocean. No need to wear shoes and to just relax and enjoy both the island and the reef.

We stayed in water villa 208. Before arrival I had emailed the resort to request a water villa between 201 and 209, due to these having sun most of the day. They confirmed receipt of my email and explained they'd try to accommodate our request but wouldn't be able to confirm until arrival so pleased we did drop an email. For us the water villas were perfect and our preferred accommodation on this island. The veranda is a very good size and holds two sun beds, table, two chairs and a parasol. Water villa 208 had the sun all day but also had shaded areas so you could move the sun beds round according to your preferred option. Because of this we never actually used the additional sun beds we had allocated on the beach. The veranda was more private and with direct access to the ocean it was the perfect place to relax and sunbathe.

The next best thing about the water villa was the big bed and the view out to the ocean where it was positioned in front of the big double patio doors. These glass doors also made the water villas very light and airy whereas the garden and beach villas looked as though they'd be quite dark inside. Apart from that the room generally had everything you'd need: aircon, ceiling fan, TV and DVD player, kettle with tea and coffee facilities, fridge, hairdryer, safe, big shower enclosure with rain shower and a separate bath. Plus the room was cleaned/tidied twice a day.

After much consideration we decided to go B&B. We originally booked AI but with two weeks to go before our final holiday payment we changed to B&B. This was definitely the best decision for us. We definitely ate and drank as much as we wanted. In addition to breakfast we ate lunch at either Moodhu or the pool bar and our evening meal at either Reethi Grill or Moodhu. The choice and service at all restaurants was really good. On our final night we went to Siama Garden. This was our most expensive meal (we weren't honeymooners or returners so had to pay) but it was also our best meal. The food was delicious and the service fantastic. We also drank what we want. We aren't the biggest drinkers but we still drank alcohol everyday. Normally we'd have about 2 soft drinks and a bottle of water each during the day. A soft drink or bottle at water at lunch, 2-3 alcoholic drinks before our evening meal (cocktails and beer), some nights a bottle of wine with our meal or an alcoholic beverage and a soft drink plus a bottle of water then a bottle of water for during the night. We didn't try to budget and just did what we wanted when we wanted which was great for flexibility. At the end of the holiday when we got our bill we were approx £100 better off than going AI so a saving and the ability to do what we wanted.

One of the key things that made this island were the staff. The service was fantastic and nearly every member of staff we came across couldn't do enough for you. For us this sealed the deal for Reethi Beach as our previous Maldives trip the service wasn't fantastic but they exceed at it here and it feels like they're always trying to do better and get feedback from people. We attended the Management cocktail in our first week which I thought was a really good way for Management and Senior staff to introduce themselves but also for other staff to be introduced too. They also point out that any problems they want to know about then and when we are on the island so they can do something about it. We also did the technical tour which shows you what goes on 'behind the scenes'. This was a great tour and highlighted how much work and effort they put in to run the island including there being over 250 staff!

There's a lot more I can probably say about Reethi Beach and it would all be good news and information. In fairness it's all been said before. This is a great island and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Water villas 201 - 212 should get sun most of the day if you want to enjoy the privacy of your veran...
7 Thank Paula083

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We spent 2 weeks in a water bungalow in October and just loved every moment. We've been to Kuramathi (loved it), Komandoo (loved it) and Kuredu (not for us) before and Reethi is my absolute favourite so far, my other half puts Reethi second to Kuramathi. I'm not a diver or a particularly strong swimmer so an easily accessible and safe house reef is a key deciding factor for us and Reethi reef whilst the coral is not fantastic, the fish life is - the drop off on the reef is amazing, literally snorkelling amongst thousands of fish including the turtle that seems to be a big topic of conversation on here! We went BB, definitely the right choice for us as prefer to choose from a menu for dinner as and when it suits us. We spent most evenings in Moodhu bar which was fabulous in every way and informal whereas Reethi grill was lovely and a bit more special. The food was amazing wherever we ate, even at the pool bar and I found the prices reasonable for both food and drink. We went on Hanifaruu trip to swim with Mantas and were lucky enough to spend 40 minutes or so with 5 mantas swooping and spinning all around us - a truly unforgettable experience! As has been mentioned many times before, the staff are just wonderful and they really do make a difference to your holiday enjoyment with their lovely chatty, smiley ways! I have worked in the travel industry more than 20 years and as a result am fairly well travelled, I can honestly say Reethi is a fantastic place and one of the best holidays I've been on, Reethi just gets every element right. It can be quite an overwhelming choice when looking for a Maldives holiday but I don't see how anyone could not be delighted with Reethi wether it's your first time or your 4th time like us. Enjoy!!

9 Thank angiered
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

If you have followed my reviews in the past you will know I always offer fair and honest reviews! Well trust me when I say this STOP LOOKING AROUND & BOOK THIS RESORT NOW! You are in no doubt considering this resort verse another resort (or two)and I can honestly say that this will not be beaten unless you are paying double or even treble the price! We visited this resort between Oct 9th – 20th Oct and stayed in room 104.

Rooms

We had a standard beach villa on looking the sea, in our opinion the villa was in the ideal location being near to all facilities but away from the huddle of the villas! It had beautiful unspoilt views of the ocean and had a perfect view of the sun setting every evening, if you are wanting to see the sun setting then you will require rooms between 101 – 170 (ish) although from room 140+ the beach is smaller and you are more sitting in the bushes. Mostly these rooms were the deluxe villas (101 – 104 were not!) so therefore of your wanting the sun setting you are going to have to pay more! However a little tip of you are checking out on an early flight (morning) they will move you to rooms 101-104 these although are not deluxe villa are the older villas they are larger than the deluxe have all the same furniture and great location the only difference that I noticed was you didn’t have the Maldivian swing and no Umbrella on the beach! Apart from that a massive saving in cost! ‘Warning’ rooms 180+ are in land and have no sea views im not 100% sure but im guessing they are the standard villas with a later check out, if this is the case it’s much better to pay the extra for location alone! Looking at the water villas they looked ok! Don’t get me wrong if it was the same price then no problem but in my opinion the cost verse the difference the beach villas won every time. They were at the tip on the island but the current was very strong with swimming and the corals are limited.

Island attractions

It took 15 minutes to walk around and all I can say is wow, it’s all very picturesque with amazing views. There was plenty to do but this of course this depends on you! If you wanted to sit, drink, eat and bathe then you will have no problem at all but if you want to go to other islands, use the water centre for sailing etc and/or dive snorkel you will always find plenty to do! There is a sports complex with squash and Babington courts, table tennis, outside tennis and a gym with weights and cardo equipment. We used this everyday and at most there was two other people in the gym!, they will provide you with all equipment you need but be warned that if you want to play tennis they will only sell you balls for $8 for 3, we brought along our own rackets but from viewing they had a large enough selection. There is a fully equipped dive centre and they also provide snorkelling trips but whatever you do bring your own snorkelling equipment as at $80 dollars per week hire or $35 for flippers only trust me it’s worth the loss of space in the suit case (you won’t need the extra clothes anyway true me!). There is a shop that sells almost anything you need but again remember that they are not the cheapest $2 for a bar of chocolate you get the picture. Finally there was a very expensive jewellery shop but to be fair although expensive with no competition what do you expect!

Mixed review, if you’re on AI and are eating in the main buffet every evening then you will not starve but you will have an ‘ok’ food experience! If on the other hand you either upgrade to Reethi Select (B&B VS AI later on in this review!) then you will be able to eat at one of the four restaurants and then you will be amazed how wonderful the food is! We used the Moodu restaurant 4 times, Reethi Grill 4 times, 1 time in the Reethi Garden & 2 times in the buffet. It’s a tossup between the Reethi Grill & the Moodu, Service in the Grill was much better but views in the Moodu were amazing and unbeaten. Food in both was amazing! You would find it very hard to not find something you wouldn’t eat, from the standard Pizza to amazing sea food and India cuisine, all I can say is nom nom! We never eaten lunch so couldn’t review but the menu looked fair and accommodating for all.

The Big Question AI Vs B&B!

Ok so this was the biggest question and I read more reviews than I care to remember trying to get someone to answer this for me! Well no one can answer this for you are everyone is totally different but I hope that this insight will help you make your choice!
We decided on B&B, once we were at the resort I asked about upgrading (to gauge the cost) and would decide after a couple of days, the cost would have been $100 per person for AI or $138 pp for Reethi Select, meaning that if you spent less than $278 per day it would be cheaper for non AI (not rocket science) now on B&B only breakfast is included (nothing else!) meaning of you want to use the sports complex you would need to pay $7 pp per day or $90 for a two week pass!
Now for us B&B was the best result as our bill including all food, drinks, trips, spa and gift shop purchases still come to under the $278 per day! But if you’re eating three meals per day, if you’re drinking throughout the day, if you love the cocktails all days and night then upgrading may be the best result!
This was an average day for us Breakfast in the morning with a bottle of water taken back to the room, no lunch but 4 coke’s per day with a ice cream each or a bar of chocolate each, Dinner with at least two courses and a bottle of wine and another bottle of water, back to the bar and at least two/three drinks each. If we wanted something we had it, if we wanted to eat we ate, if we wanted to drink we drank and it still allowed us to the best restaurants and save a fortune on the bill! Trust me a fortune!
If we wanted lunch every day, if we drank during the daytime (alcohol) if we got wasted on cocktails and had 10 a day without any shadow of doubt AI would have been worth the extra but like I said at the start you know you, if like us your going away for a rest and not to be wasted every night then go for B&B try it for a couple of days and then if need be upgrade, but whatever you do if you’re going for AI then upgrade for the Reethi Select which will allow you to have all named sprits, eat in the better restaurants and have a better time!
Remember that 10% + 6% is added to everything so when looking at prices take this into consideration

A Final Note

I have gone to many places but can honestly say that I have never gone to anywhere like this, I was told not to bring shoes and thought alright then (not taking any notice) and apart from the gym I never wore shoes once(everyone goes to dinner with no shoes!!!).Bring yourself a torch as although there is some lighting on the walk home it is better to be able to see the crabs!. Make sure you see the fish feeding at 18:00 at least once and ,make sure you bring your own mask set with flippers, 100% only bring one pair of shoes as you won’t need any, towels are provided everyday so again not needed and the room is provided with a hairdryer and fridge. Bring your own chocolate to say you a fortune (they do sell at the airport) and don’t bring or buy any alcohol (even in duty free) as no alcohol is allowed to be brought in the country meaning if you think you will get lost cost booze to save some £££ you will lose out! Its English plugs so no need for adapters and finally make sure your luggage is under 20kg as although you get a larger weight on the bigger planes the water planes only allow 20kg or you have to pay a premium!.
I hope you like my review and it answered your questions, please give me a helpful vote if you found this helpful and by all means you can ask me any question of you wish. Thanks

Room Tip: 101 - 170 for sun sets and deluex villas to secure a beach and sun set view
69 Thank Danny A
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed for a week as part of our honeymoon and fell in love it! We will definitely be going back. The service was excellent, all of the staff were so friendly, remembering who we were and recognising us whereever we were. We stayed in a Deluxe Villa, which was beautiful and, for us, much preferable to the water villas because they had more private space on the beach and were detached. The food was great. We got a free meal at the Saima Garden restaurant and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. The watersports were expensive, but a good variety. There were only 2 slight criticisms, but nothing to detract from the overall experience. Firstly, there are 2 free trips if you're on an all inclusive basis, one to a local island for some sort of cultural trip on Saturday afternoons (we didn't fancy it) and one on a Friday evening, to a nearby deserted sandbank to have a cocktail and watch the sun set. We'd have liked to go on this one, but checked in on the Friday morning and we asked to go to a welcome meeting on the Friday evening, when we were told about these included trip - that we'd already missed. Since we were only staying a week it would have been a nice touch if they'd asked us if we wanted to go when we checked in. If you do check in on a Friday or Saturday morning you could bear this in mind and request to go on one. Secondly, the discos on Monday and Thursday are loud. We don't like that sort of evening entertainment, so would chill out near our room or at another bar. When we went to bed, we could still hear the music with the doors shut. However, these didn't really bother us, but could be useful for other guests considering staying here. Overall, I couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough.

5 Thank SunnyExplorer
Minsk, Belarus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We spent here our honeymoon. We liked the island, it is very small, calm, full of greens. Bungalows are in maldivian style and have all the necessary. As a compliment of the hotel we get the Deluxe Villa for one night and in comparison with a Reethi Villa I can say that the most important advantage of this room type is the location: reef is not so close to the shore and there is enough place for swimming.
The stuff is friendly but the most of them were not enough helpful, they are just enjoing their life on the island and do not worry about your problems: we also sent emails about our honeymoon but nobody remembered about it and only when we reminded to the second time we get the promised dinner, fruits and so on. Than we lost our room key and to get a new one we should wait more that 3 hours and moreover pay 56$! The manager promised to bring the new key to the room but of course forgot about it...
One more example as we tried to get any information about Male, as we had a lot of time before departure and wanted to walk there. The girl at the reception was i would say shocked hearing that, couldn't suggest anything!
So the best guy on reception is Maax, and if you have some questions or problems, ask only him! :)
It seems that on the island there are not so much entertainment, but it appeared that we were not lying on the beach the whole days: we made a technical tour (pretty interesting), were snorkelling, walking through the island, making photos, watching scat feeding and also visited spa (the best atmosphere on the island was detected exactly here))), every evening there were orgonized some activities like watching films, bodu beru, spa presentations.
In general we enjoyed staying and a week after returning home I'm already missing it :)

Room Tip: Deluxe villas started from 101 and till the sunset bar have the best location: enough place for swim...
1 Thank TatyanaKoba
Garvagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay at RB and thoroughly enjoyed our time here. It was my third visit to the Maldives, previously staying at Kuredu and and Shangri La's Villingili...standard-wise RB is somewhere in between the two. Very pretty island with friendly staff and very good food. Our deluxe villa was clean and comfortable. Our only disappointment was that we were out there to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I had emailed RB to let them know months in advance of our trip. My email was answered to ask what date our anniversary was and how long we have been married, to which I replied. It seems to be standard practise in most resorts and hotels to acknowlege your celebration with a bowl of fruit, bottle of wine etc and that is what we hoped we would find at RB, especially as they had emailed us to ask about the date etc. Unfortunately, we didn't receive anything at all, which I mentioned to the managers at the welcome meeting. One of the managers (Thomas) apologised about the oversight on their part, but that was as far as it went, and there didn't seem to be much effort in making amends, which was a bit of a let down. Otherwise, we had an enjoyable stay but I doubt we would return to this island.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toby6859
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Clearly, the place is great and the service outstanding, we went for the bungalows over the water and it is a fantastic experience. That said, after a few days, you know that you are basically stuck in a 5***** gilded prison with other fellow Europeans. That's the Maldives way of keeping tourists away from islands inhabited by Maldivians. Also beware of pretty much everything except accommodation and your food plan adding up to the final bill, from drinks to tennis balls to excursions. As you never pay anything cash or plastic, it's added to the final amount and if you lose track of it, you're in for a bad surprise when settling the bill on the final day. Finally, definitely go for the island place commute from the airport, a 30-minute wonder flight over paradise scenery.

Room Tip: If traveling with young kids, it is probably better going for a beach house rather than a room over...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
#1 of 1 in Meedhupparu Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,321 reviews

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!