“Reethi Beach”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Reethi Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We recently returned from 2 weeks at Reethi Beach. We booked with http://www.nonewsnoshoes.co.uk/ who I can highly recommend. They are extremely knowledgeable and the price was considerably cheaper than some of the larger tour operators. I had reason to contact them after we had arrived at Reethi and they were hugely helpful, I’ll explain that below.

I won’t go into all details about Reethi as many other people have done that before me, I’ll just highlight a few areas that might be helpful to anyone going to, or considering Reethi as a destination.

Sea Plane
We had a smooth transfer to the seaplane with very little wait. We made one stop off to drop some folks at Coco Palm Resort. On the return journey we stopped off several times to pick people up from other islands. I only mention this, because if you are not a fan of the sea plane (like me), you may end up taking off and landing 2-3 times before you get to your destination. However, this is the best option; it would be a pretty long way by speed boat.

Room
On arrival we were allocated room 193, this was a disappointment. It was in a block of rooms on the east side of the island. They are set back from the beach; in fact the ocean is not even visible from the room. In my opinion these should be classed as Garden Rooms, and that should be reflected in the price. They are standard villas, but it’s worth mentioning that they are larger than the standard villas on the west side of the island.

I wanted to be on the west side for easy access to the main house reef, however it’s purely personal opinion, someone else might be delighted with the ‘garden room’.

I asked at reception if we could move to a different room and this was the only time during our stay that I felt the staff were less than helpful. I contacted ‘NoNewsNoShoes’ and they dealt with it from their end. Within 2 days we were moved to the other side of the island which was perfect. I’m not convinced that we would have been moved without pressure from the tour operator.

Excursions
We went on the sunset cruise to the deserted island across from Reethi (included in your package if you are AI) There was no sun to see setting as a storm was coming in, but it was worth going anyway. It’s worth taking flip flops because if you go inland a little there are hundreds of large brightly coloured hermit crabs. Fab to see, but not somewhere I wanted to wander in bare feet. Also, consider wearing shorts rather than a skirt as you have to climb down the ladder on the side of the boat!

Also did two snorkelling trips to Coral Garden and Turtle Reef. Enjoyed both, but probably wouldn’t do Coral Garden again. The dive centre guides were great for spotting things and pointing them out. Be aware that if you take a trip in the afternoon, the jetty on the way to the boat is burning hot, everyone was checking their feet for blisters by the time we got on the boat!

Food was fantastic, I’m a vegetarian and everything was clearly labelled with plenty of choice.

Snorkelling
Snorkelling on the west side was great, not colourful coral, but an abundance of marine life. The currents can be strong and it’s not always easy to see which way the current is going til you get out to the drop off. However, if you are struggling, simply float back with the current until you reach the next reef exit and get out.

Recommend doing the 11am guided snorkel at least once, they will tell you about currents/safety etc. There were a lot of large Titan Triggerfish while we were there, one of which made a beeline for me which was slightly unnerving. They are only aggressive when nesting, but it’s worth being able to identify them so you can give them a wide berth.

Kids
I was surprised by the amount of children on the island. We were there over Easter during school holidays so that may be different during term time. It was not a problem, they were well behaved and we really only saw them at mealtimes and in the bar. However, if you are looking for a child free island then perhaps Reethi is not for you.

Critters
Yes there are some, you are in the tropics so it is to be expected! There were ants and geckos in the bathroom, but it is open air so not much you can do about that. However, compared to gargantuan ants that I have seen on other islands, these ants were just normal sized!!

We did have an enormous cockroach in our room one night, but a quick distress call to reception saw several guys arrive armed with bug spray to dispatch the poor fella!

My roommate did hear all sorts of noises coming from behind the headboard and the mirror, don’t know whether these were cockroaches, but thankfully they stayed put.

Tips
Be as generous as you can, the guys work hard for long hours with low pay. Anything you can give will be hugely appreciated. Some people have mentioned tipping ‘as you go’ for better service. This was not our experience; we had great service and tipped on our last eve/morning. Must mention Rahul and Nazir at the main bar, they were great fun, and Hoda in the main restaurant was always there to greet us with a smile.

Shop
Sells all the general stuff, make sure you take enough sunscreen, if you run out it is very expensive to buy. The higher the factor, the more expensive!!

I have gone on long enough! I love the Maldives and I loved Reethi, I’m already planning my next trip.
Just a final question to finish off, are there any women out there that have travelled to Reethi alone, and what was your experience? I may have to go by myself next year and am slightly nervous about it. I can happily spend my days diving and being a beach bum, but what about the evenings? I’m not a fan of early nights, but equally wouldn’t want to be a ‘billy no mates’ in the bar!! Any thoughts?

In short, don’t hesitate, book your hols to Reethi, I can almost guarantee you will have a fab time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank HunnyBeaBeas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Having read all the reviews before travelled here we were pleasantly suprised by this hotel. Having travelled to the maldives for a honeymoon this hotel is no way near as good as the previous one we visited, but we never expected it to be as you get what you pay for. We stayed 10 nights and paid £2770 for 2 people bed and breakfast, in a standard beach villa.

On arrival to male we quickly got transferred to a sea plane. Amazing experience, very enjoyable, took around an hour to get to reethi. We got picked up by the boat, and waited another 20 minutes for another plane to come with guests. 10 minute boat journey to the hotel.

The welcome was fine, cool towel, coconut drink and then organised into nationalitys for check in. When reading the reviews people say there are lots of germans dutch etc and when checking in you get that impression but we found there were plenty of english there, but then thinking about it why does that matter, your on holiday!?! BUT....we did find that the reception staff lacked in english speaking and not so helpful from time to time.......and the odd staff members being very "clicky" with certain guests. But if you want to be left alone, they are brilliant.

We asked for a room on the sunset side, you are right on the beach, rather than the other side you have a little walk to the beach. Any room on the sunset side is suitable. I will say it is a long walk to breakfast but its a nice stroll if you like that sort of thing.

The room was nice, bathroom partially outside, and cleaned twice a day to a good standard. They might need a good makeover soon but we never spent lots of time in them to really be dissapointed.

OK, we did have a cockroach in the room and a bloody huge spider but you on an island, on a beach, what do you expect? Just get on with it.

All the waiting/food/bar staff are flawless, brilliant and worth getting to know while you are there. They are more helpful than reception/managers. Jotish at the bar by the water villas is a nice bloke. Vinnie and raoul in the main bar are funny and friendly. The guys in reethi grill and moodhu are excellent.

The snorkelling is brilliant here. The sunset side has a lot of coral, yes, some of it is dead but the amount of fish there is excellent. Obviously i could write a long list of the fish i saw but your will see turtles on this side and rays on the other side(where they feed them) we generally snorkelled the sunset side in the morning (find the turtle opposite room 150 in the shallow parts) and in the afternoon by moodhu. You can swim with all the rays around 4.30 - 5pm, but i would recommend leaving before they start to feed them (6pm) as they get a little impatient and closer. Oh and take a few bananas or fruit with you for the fish you get some bigs ones eating from your hand.

If you into diving i did use the dive center, i done my open water course whilst here and it was done professionally. Make sure you bring your own snorkel gear as you have to hire it.
The instructor i had was english speaking and very professional. Her name was Kindha and i recommend her. The only problem i has was not with my instructor but with the other instructors that dont speak alot of english and all seem big headed and have a chip on their shoulder. The 2 main older guys are nice but all the others only seem to want to talk to the "qualified" people and makes it a little awkward.

The snorkelling trips they do are coral garden, turtle reef, nemo garden. We done the coral garden. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. The coral is beautiful and huge, but its a little too deep and cannot see it well. I would recommend the reef around the hotel over this. Plus your in a group lead by a guide who doesnt show you anything, you cannot snorkel it by yourself and you are only there for 40mins and it takes an hour to get there! not worth $40.

Right alot of people have that question all inclusive or not? Well do your drink heavily and eat like a pig? Will you be diving every day (you cannot drink and dive)?

We spent ,over 10 nights, between the 2 of us $1400 on food and drink. We eat every lunch time at the pool bar, which is really good for food and cheap (pizza $8) and drank as much as we liked. We eat at Moodhu most nights sometimes the bill coming to $60 some nights $130.

I had around 3-6 beers a day some cocktails, depending on diving. Still we saved a fortune as to upgrade to all incl is about $110 and reethi select $140 (dine in any restaurant and drink most things) So yeah we saved $1100-1400. If you going there to get pissed and eat crazily then its up to you. there is always that thing of not having to worry about money when going all incl i suppose.

We never eat in the main restuarant, so cannot comment, all i know its buffet food. Moodhu is brilliant and reethi grill is also nice. average cost of starter in moodhu is $8-15 main dish $17-60. Never had desert.

Found the guys at the watersports unhelpful, they dont really seem interested which made you feel "well you cannot be bothered, then forget it" not really trying to sell themselves, more like this what we do, do it if you want......

We done the robinson crusoe island trip. Very nice, peaceful, snorkelling is brilliant, Its also i dive site but you dont get bothered by them or see them.

My wife used the spa and she had a very relaxing time.

Entertainment at night in the main bar is low key but enjoyable, worth doing when prizes are involved.

There is work on going to save the island from washing away and sand bags are on show. We were not bothered by this as it has to be done to save the island. We actually rarely noticed or heard any work being done.

We met lots of nice people here, english, german, etc and everyone seems to be having a fab time and give you lots of tips/advice on snorkelling and trips so its worth talking to be people.

Overall the hotel is very good, Come on your in the maldives! The fact your going should be amazing.....you get what you pay for and although i would come back to hotel.....there are more places to visit and things to see....

Room Tip: Sunset side rooms 150-190 right on the beach
4 Thank Arron K
Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

We first visited Reethi in June of 2012 and loved the island so much that we had booked another 11 night stay within a week of coming home. We then decided to bring our wedding forward five months so that our return trip was also our honeymoon.

This time we decided to do our first direct flight and used BA rather than Emirates, whom we have used in our past visits. I was fortunately able to get the last pair of extra leg room seats for our outward journey. Unlike my fellow reviewer Bonters I have to say that we were both remarkably unimpressed with BA in general, the plane was incredibly old, entertainment was very restricted and they ran out of the main meal. We have agreed that we will be returning to Emirates even with the necessary change in Dubai.

The seaplane landed a considerable distance from the island rather than behind the Moodhu and we were transferred by Dhoni. On the approach we really couldn't believe what we saw, it almost looked like a completely different island. Where last year there had been a huge expanse of beach there was now large sandbags and concrete walls! It was unbelievable how much the tides have changed the island in just 10 months.

We stayed in a beach villa for our first 7 nights and although I had asked to be around 160 (our room last summer) we were allocated room 104. This, unfortunately, was exactly where the sandbags and concrete walls I mentioned were located. I have to admit that I was very disappointed considering this was our honeymoon but I also knew from speaking to other visitors in the forum that this room had previously been classed as a deluxe room and was therefor considerably larger than the other standard rooms and also had the day bed area. Sheena the lovely Kuoni rep did say we could move as soon as another room became available but as we were moving to a Water Villa on day 8 we said we would scope out the room and only move if it was really bad. Whilst the view outside the room was not the nicest in the world we conceded that there were also some positives to the location, namely the size of the room and that other guests seldom walked past as there was too much erosion to walk along the beach. We actually had a nice stretch of sand to lay out on so all was not lost.

We were then allocated WV 203 on the sunset side for our last four days and have to admit it really helped to make this trip feel like a honeymoon. The Wvs are not luxurious or hugely spacious but it was lovely to see the sea at the foot of your bed and we were fortunate enough to have dolphins pass by on two mornings. Do be careful of the steps down to the sea, they can get very slippery.

The food was yet again amazing. We decided to go B&B again this trip with consideration of upgrading to the much mentioned Reethi Select plan but again, my own alcohol consumption does not make it a financially viable option for us (because I don't drink enough!). We love eating in the Moodhu and Reethi Grill so the normal AI plan is not for us either. The 2% increase in GST and some small increases in prices did make a difference over the course of our stay but the difference between B&B and Reethi Select was still sufficient to cover the cost of a few trips. The minute steak in the Moodhu really is amazing and if you ask nicely they may provide you with some of the stunning Passion fruit or Lemon & Lime sorbet that is served in the Saima Garden.

In terms of trips, again this year we visited the uninhabited island of Thiladhoo but this time we did it as a Robinson Picnic trip through Reception so we were given a cool box with 2 large bottles of water and a basket with fruit, sandwiches, a mobile phone and a first aid kit. This island has some fantastic coral growth and I even spotted a turtle, for $45 plus tax/gst it's a lovely morning or afternoon, just don't bank on having the island to yourself....we were joined by two German couples who kayaked over from Reethi and decided to camp just a few metres away from us but as we were there to snorkel we didn't mind too much! We also did the dolphin speedboat trip twice with success both times, during the first trip we were surrounded by a super pod which was fantastic. I also did the Coral Gardens snorkeling trip through the dive centre (and saw dolphins on the way there) and night snorkeling for the first time ever, it really is a unique experience and nowhere near as scary as you might think, I would highly recommend trying it! A big thanks to Illy who was our guide on both trips.

We also arranged a very special trip as we wanted to do something to mark our marriage and with the help of Nic in Reservations we were able to visit the neighbouring island of Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru to build an artificial reef structure which is tagged with our names and will be nurtured by the staff with updates provided every 6 months. Please see my separate review for more details.

As said previously, the staff are the real diamond here and we were thrilled to be recognised, and recognise so many from last year....Babatosh, Santhosh, Hanifa, Mohammed....they are all so much fun and so sincere. Also thanks to Binoy for our wonderful service at the Saima Garden. We were saddened to hear that Babatosh has plans to return home next summer and plan to return to see him before that happens.

Ok, so we loved it, but yes, there were some niggles.......

1) Guests feeding the fish, particularly from the Moodhu.
Fish feeding causes many problems and there is lots of information contained within the forum section if you wish to know more. We noticed huge algae blooms behind the Moodhu which seem to be impeeding coral growth and I do wonder whether this is because fish that would normally graze the algae are being fed by guests.

2) Guests standing on the coral.
Coral at Reethi is pretty poor in general but I came across two large blocks of Acropora with very clear foot damage. Despite the numerous signs by reception and the new brochures that have been supplied by 'Protect The Maldives' many seem unaware of the fragility of the reef.

3) Children!!
Of course the island welcomes them although it does not have specific facilities but on more than one occasion very small children were allowed by their parents to run around the Moodhu screaming at 10 o clock at night. Please consider that some of us would like peace on our holidays and I don't think it's too much to ask after say 9pm.

4) Other guests.
Many seemed to be indulging nicely, particularly a few tables who were very open about being on Select and having as much as they possibly could. In itself this isn't a problem but the increase in speaking volume and desire to talk over each other as well as facetime/skype as loudly as possible during lunch/dinner made the island feel a bit more commercialised than we found it last year.

On our suggestion form we also said that kettles should be provided in each room, not just the water villas.

In summary, we had a really lovely trip and again felt like we needed to stay another week before coming home! I said to another visiting family that Reethi doesn't excel in any particular area but it remains consistently brilliant in all of them and that's why so many people return. It also continues to be one of the most reasonably prices islands, especially in the Maldivian peak season. We have already begun to consider our options and Reethi features very highly, I am sure it won't be long before I am writing review number 3.

8 Thank Jody2803
Boston UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

The title says it all really. We wouldn't be coming back here 5 times unless we liked it. I think the biggest asset Reethi has is it's staff, many of whom are now like old friends to us. The remarkable joy they display when they see you turn up again is something to behold. They are super efficient, but like to have a bit of banter with you at the same time, rather than constantly patronising, which is just the way we like it. We flew BA this time and I have to say I thought their flights both ways were top notch. We paid £56 extra each way to choose seats in advance and deliberately left an empty seat between ours on a 3 - 3 - 3 configuration (chose window and aisle seat each time). The transparent plan was in the hope that the seat between us would not be allocated, always assuming the flight was not fully subscribed, and on both legs, our plan worked! This made the extra payment well worthwhile, but of course it was always a gamble and may not have paid off. The other major difference for us this time was that we upgraded to the Reethi Select, rather than the standard AI and I have to say we loved it. We have previously always eaten in the buffet restaurant, with the odd venture to the Moodhu, but this time we ate more at the Moodhu and Reethi Grill than anywhere else. We tended to take lunch in the buffet, which I have to say was of very high quality still. We took dinner in there a couple of times also, often when we were not that hungry because of the other excesses! I fail to see how anyone could be disappointed with the buffet food, but you also cannot beat having a steak cooked freshly in the Reethi Grill (ribeye is to die for). We enjoyed being able to order the dearest bottle of wine, drinking branded spirits and so on. It really depends on your priorities and what you are looking for out of the holiday, but we are rather social people and so like a good few drinks during the course of a day, as well as the fine dining. If you are the same, Reethi Select is a Godsend frankly, having whatever you want at a fixed price and without worrying what kind of bill you're running up. Despite having been 4 times before, we had never before spent a day beside the pool, but we did a couple of times, and had lunch there (Reethi Select again!). It was very pleasant indeed, and I used it as a base to snorkel the East side of the Island, something else I have not done before. There were fairly minor issues with some aspects (drinks not being available etc), but on the whole there's nowhere else in the world we would rather be. Also, when you have visited as many times as we have, you tend to have higher expectations every time. My main complaint about a holiday on Reethi is the fact that 2 weeks goes in the blink of an eye! Will we return again? Not sure, simply because it's getting so expensive. BUT if we go back to the Maldives, I'm pretty sure it'll be Reethi!

6 Thank Bonters
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Visited RB April 2013 and stayed in Water Villa 210
I have travelled all over the world and experienced many different types of holidays. This place is fantastic.
I cannot understand how some people have criticised this place or put on ridiculous pictures of cockroaches etc....please take no notice!
We arrived on an Emirates flight, transferred by a/c bus (5 min drive) to sea plane 'airport.' Waited a short while (maybe 20 mins) for everybody to arrive then was transferred via sea plane to a floating station in the sea close to RB. (For where to go to get the sea plane when the door to arrivals slide open at Male airport walk over to the right and you will see the 'check in' on your left or ask one of the people waiting with boards) I was petrified of the sea plane but all part of the experience and would do it again. At the floating station there was a motor boat waiting to take us and our luggage to RB itself. This was a 10 minute boat ride but again we were on cloud 9 and taking it all in....smiles beaming on everybody's faces.
When we arrived at the island we were greeted with cool towels and fresh coconut water. You feel the heat as soon as you get to the Maldives I wore jeans and jumper travelling from chilly UK but had a dress and flip flops in my hand luggage which I changed into at the airport. I was SO glad I did that.
Some people have said that when they left the island they felt a bit "left to their own devices" This certainly wasnt our experience. We were given a morning call, then had a continental breakfast at Moodhu then a member of staff went with us back on the boat to the floating station where the sea plane picked us up.
We were then taken to our villa, it was perfect, exactly as in on the pics. Service was great bags were brought 5 mins later. There is a mini fridge in the room that you can bring drinks back to if you are AI as we were. There is also a safe and a hairdryer, large shower larger bath! and a lovely balcony that looks out - very private. Also with the water villas you are also allocated two sun loungers on the beach nearby which is great too.
I would recommend Water villas 203 - 210. I booked this after reading other peoples' views. Theres a few reasons why - its good positioning for the sun, its close to paddle round to the beach, they are well positioned taking into account the rise and fall in water throughout the day and allow easy access to the sea using the steps attached to the balcony.
Food is out of this world - I honestly cant comprehend how they have such a variety in such a remote place. We ate mostly at the AI buffet restaurant (great selection and quality), Moodhu (great selection and quality about $100 for two) and Saima Garden (beautiful quality, set menu about $120 for two) The waiters are fantastic after a few days they all remember your room number and your usual drinks.
There are a number of trips available - what you do depends on personal preference. I would recommend going to the welcome meeting of an evening in main bar. It gives you a good overview. Alternatively go to main reception or you can look on the boards at the dive centre.
For couples I would definitely recommend Robinson picnic. My husband and I got taken by small speed boat to our own deserted island about 5 mins away. We were left there for four hours and it was heaven on earth. There are two sun loungers and an umbrella there and thats it! The picnic consists of sandwiches, coleslaw and fruit. It cost $100 all in.
Snorkelling and scuba - Take your own snorkel gear it will save a couple about $200 a week if I remember correctly its $13pp per day to hire. You must go to sunset bar at 11:00am for the free snorkel experience if youre a novice. Basically someone from the dive centre takes you out and teaches you the basics and shows you where to go. That is the best place on the island to snorkel, you can snorkel close to the water villas but the reefs not as good.
We did the introduction to scuba lessons. They are quite expensive but great value for money. We did a free trial (think theyre 11:30 each day) then booked. It was me and my husband with a fantastic tutor called Kinda (sorry if thats not how you spell it.) She taught us the basics and off we went! We went to a total depth of 10m saw amazing fish and sea life including lobsters, huge octopus, loads of fish, sea cucumbers, sting rays etc.
There are some children on the island but theyre certainly not everywhere and they dont detract from anything in any way.
There is a well equipped gym which is well kept and cool. There are also squash courts, badminton and tennis courts. There is a clean pool for those who dont like the sea. There is a shop that sells souvenirs as well as crisps and chocolate and goodies we're all familiar with.
The island never feels busy or over crowded. You can go a full day only seeing a handful of people until its time for tea!
All in all an amazing experience.

5 Thank geegee2028
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed at Reethi in early November 2012. We flew via Sri Lanka from Australia which meant that we arrived in the Maldives the next morning rather than staying overnight in Male. There was a bit of a wait to get the seaplane but this also gave us an opportunity to meet another couple heading to Reethi. The seaplane trip was awesome! I didn't find it too noisy and earplugs were available if you needed them. Viewing the Maldives from the air gave an insight into the amazing array of islands and resorts. We stayed in deluxe villa room 119 which was just a couple up from the sunset bar. Perfect location with a great stretch of beach and a short walk to the restaurant (we requested this in advance). Unlike some of the other reviewers I didn't find that the resort was geared to families. I hardly saw any children which may be a reflection of the location of our villa and the time of year (the resort was full though). We met some lovely couples, mainly from Germany and Switzerland, who we met up with every evening at the sunset bar. We went AI which was the perfect choice for us. The buffet was always great with enough of a selection for me even though I do not eat red meat. The snokelling was wonderful with fish everywhere. Sure, I've seen better reefs but haven't stayed anywhere where it's just a few steps from your front door. One of our new friends even had a manta sneak up on him! After reading another review we prearranged a trip to Anantara Kihavah's Sea (underwater) Restaurant. Another couple decided to join us and Reethi's reception staff were happy to contact Anantara Kihavah for us. The four course lobster meal was expensive but well worth the price just for the experience. The staff at Reethi are all super friendly. An extra shout out to Benny at the Sunset Bar. I think the price is really reasonable. I'd recommend the deluxe villa. They are well worth the extra cost just for their location.

Room Tip: Room 119 is close to the Sunset Bar on a good stretch of beach. Rooms near the water villas are on q...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beacygirl
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just returned from Reethi Beach Resort Maldives. What a fantastic place to be.......This resort was excellent in everyway we spent 1 week just relaxing in the most wonderful surroundings being looked after by the excellent staff must mention one guy his name was Asim and he worked in the main restaurant he was 5* quality. If your looking for informal but excellent standards and quality book now because Reethi Beach is your port of call...........

3 Thank Chris C
#1 of 1 in Meedhoo Island
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#5 of 13 in Baa Atoll

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!