“Hulhumale Trash”
Review of Hulhumale

Hulhumale
Ranked #15 of 50 things to do in Kaafu Atoll
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I choose Hulhumale Island, which is attached to the airport island, before my Liveaboard cruise started so I didn’t have to deal with my heavy dive bags on the ferry to Male. I was disappointed in the quantity of trash I found on the beaches. In fact there is quite a bit of trash even floating in the waters. It was disturbing because without the trash you would have felt like you had landed in paradise. I was surprised how clueless the native Maldivians were to the trash all around them.

The island is man-made and only about 5 years old. Because of the overcrowding in capital city of Male there is considerable building going on. Even though many natives do speak English, I was surprised that on Male many do not, including workers in the hospitality industry which is kind of strange. It felt more like a third world country. Prices tend to be cheaper than Male for lodging but there are very few restaurants available. Perhaps things will be changing in the near future. There was a new five star hotel being built by the Radisson Hotel Group that will bring in more transit customers. It appears that much of the hospitality business for Hulhumale and also Male is for transit customers who are either moving on to liveaboard boats or to island resorts. Many times travelers arrive too late or as in my case too early to move onto their eventual destination and hence the need for an additional lodging location. At the end of my liveaboard cruise I choose a hotel in Male and even though it was more money, I enjoyed that location much better.

5  Thank James C
"beach view"
"public transport"
"sea water"

Reviewed 18 March 2013

We spent in this house for 12 days. If you want to experience the beauty of the Maldives at a reasonable price and do not want to stay on one island resort, choose this house. It features the fast ship with which your guide will take you Rifa, the beautiful places of this paradise on earth. The price is 5 trips and if you want to know the next days other islands, or returning to places where you have been is your guide and your boat available. If you want to spend time in the ocean on a local beach, be aware that you can not bathe in a bikini, but a T-shirt. The terrace offers an amazing view of the ocean and the water is beautiful, clear and clean, just like everywhere in the Maldives. Prices in local stores are the same as here in the Czech Republic, but it is not in the resorts, there is very expensive.
Holidays in the Maldives in the house and a guided Rifou Idhamem was very nice to us, for we want to thank you. It was about us in all care and always tried to come out in all vstrict. Thank you for the lovely time spent, family Jakšíkova. Best regards from Denisek to Rifa.

5  Thank Renata J
Reviewed 13 January 2013

A mainly residential island, ( artificial ) under construction. Big street, apartment block, shops, all very western style...

4  Thank ItaliaNorway
Reviewed 8 September 2012

There are several hotels along the beach on Hulhumale. I stayed at the Palm View for under $30 per night, and it was clean and comfortable. The owner and staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is right on the beach, next to a Beach Hut restaurant where you can sit out on the beach for a reasonable meal.

Hulhumale, unlike Male city, can be reached by road (bus or taxi), so it is the most accessible place in the Maldives. The island is artificial land, designed as a bedroom community for the overcrowded Male, so there are shops and restaurants, serving mostly the local communty. It's not touristy, but cheaper than any other place in the Maldives. There are 20-minute ferries every half hour to get over to Male.

So if you want to avoid the high tourist prices of the outer islands, try the easy-going community of Hulhumale, and stay at the Palm View or any of a dozen other guesthouses and small hotels right on the beach.

11  Thank qatartraveller
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 January 2010

The artificial island Hulhumale is a nice island, but is not a palce to go if you want luxary and paradise feeling. The island is still under construction, meaning that there is still a lot of building going on.

We stayed at the Oceans Sounds, which is a rental house located on the beach front. This was a nice place but what we didn't know was that on this beach no bikinis was allowed, becuase Maldives is a Muslim country. So, if we wanted to go to the beach we had to dress up with shorts and t-shirts, which is not much fun if you want to get tanned.

There were some restaurants and many shops, but most of them were super markets. The price in the shops were very cheap atleast compared to where we come from. The food was very good, though they like to use chilli in almost all most everything, so the food is some what spicy, but it is mostly ok.

I have to say that I would not recomend my friends to come here, because I looked forward to luxary and paradise whn comming to the Maldives, and Hulhumale did not live up to those conditions. Hulhumale is a nice place to go if you would like to experience the local culture, but if you seek a place to relax going around in bikini all day, then don't choose Hulhumale!

There is not much to do in Hulhumale, but as we had our own boat and guide, we went to picnic island (Little bandos) almost everyday. On this island we could use bikinis as much as we wanted, and is was definiatley paradise. You can also take a trip into the capital city Malé, as there goes ferries from the harbour almost all day around. We went there time, and that was enough for us. There was not very much shopping posibilities there, but there were some. And, if you are going, be careful of the "guides" following you. When you arrive people will come after you, showing you the way to different shops and following you aroudn every where. If you want to pay extra for everything you buy then you are very welcome to let the "guides guide" you. The truth is, if you go into a shop followed by a "guide" the shop has to charge you extra money for everything you buy, as they have to give 20% of what you paied to the "giude" !! It might be hard to get rid of them, but if you don't want them to follow you (and pay extra in every shop) you just have to be strict and say NO to them! Except for the these guides Malé was a nice city, not very much to do there either, but it was a nice experience.

Also, on fridays all the local people go to the beach, so is can get kind of ower crowded.

Hope this could be useful for anyone thinking about going here ;)

49  Thank tusta1