“Amazing dive experience”

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing dive experience”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My fiance and I signed up for the 'discover scuba' session as we are both beginners. Pedro, who was friendly and explained everything well, did the formalities and we were scheduled for 8am the next day. When we arrived in the morning, we were welcomed by dive instructor Michiyo, who greeted us with a warm smile, and guided us to a room where we first watched a 30-min. video. When the video was over, Michiyo entered the room and summed up the key points while using visuals, and answered all our questions. The instructor was very friendly and she explained everything clearly and professionally. We then went out to the beautiful deck and were assisted with the equipment. We found the entire dive center, including facilities and equipment, very well maintained and top-notch. We then entered the water for the first time and Michiyo lead us through the basic exercises. This quick session was fun, and well conducted by the instructor, which gave us confidence and made us curious for more. We then took a break and returned to the dive center at 2pm. Joined by another group of divers we took a boat trip to the nearby dive site. Pedro lead a group of experienced divers who were up for a 30m adventure, while Michiyo lead the beginners group (12m). The dive was fantastic, and we got to see beautiful corals and exotic fish including clownfish ("Finding Nemo") and what I believe was a lionfish (the famous poisoning, spiky fish). Michiyo is quite obviously a very experienced diver, and she was very patient and helpful throughout the whole session, which was over after a little bit over half an hour. We truly enjoyed this and want to do more in the future. Thanks to Euro Divers, and especially Michiyo, who made this a wonderful experience.

Visited October 2012

Beijing, Beijing, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome dive trip”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is the most professional dive center.

I came this time for just diving. It was fantastic. Good place, good dive sites, professional and nice crew and instructors.Started my first dive in Euro Divers Kandooma in Jan 2012, this time for just fun dive and Nitrox. My wife got certified as OW too.

I saw so much marine life during the 14 dives. Michi is a great guide and she can always find funny things.

Visited October 2012
Paris, France
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome place for big fishes”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I did more than 30 dives in 11 days with Euro-divers in Kandooma. Everything was perfect. Sure you have to do a check dive, but at least it helps to make sure that everything is alright. Then seeing all these sharks just let you forget that strong current somtimes. All the staff I met was very very nice and really make our vacation lovely. I hope we can come back soon, thank you Oliver, Pedro, Mishiyo and Simon.

Visited August 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Fantastic Dive Team”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Just finished a great holiday at HI Kandooma. My wife and I did several dives and then went on to complete the AOWD course. Professional, courteous, and knowledgable staff and fantastic crew, and of course the fantastic South Male Atoll dive sites. Note that like any reputable dive shop, after not have dove in a over a year, they required the refresher dive. But it was quick and painless and they include it at no charge.

I highly recommend!

Visited June 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Terrible Diveshop - Avoid At All Costs”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

First, the good: Holiday Inn Kandooma is a fantastic resort, with top-notch bungalows at reasonable prices and excellent service from the very friendly multinational staff. I would highly recommend a stay at HI Kandooma. The dive sites are quite good as well, especially if you like big fish. Not as ideal for macro, of course, given the lower biodiversity and the sometimes strong currents.

Now to the bad part – I cannot recommend the Euro-Divers at Kandooma. Unfortunately (as at all resorts in Maldives) they have the monopoly. I have dived with them twice, thinking that the first time may have been a fluke and wanting to give them another chance. My observations below:

1) The staff – Pedro and Oliver were overall friendly and competent. However, that was not the case with the others - Samir in particular was highly unpleasant to be around and the dives that he led were particularly poor. On one dive to Kandooma Thila (which is the top divesite in the area), we ended up seeing no large fish at all – quite an accomplishment!

2) The biggest issues I had was the complete inflexibility of the staff, in particular Samir. It started right in the beginning – they insist on a “refresher dive” unless you have a documented dive within the prior three months. Quite extreme, but OK. Problem is, they don’t tell this to you anywhere, nor was it mentioned when I called them in the morning. So I walked to the dive shop, only to be told I have to go all the way back to get my gear to do the refresher dive. I asked – can I just do it right before the 2PM dive, instead of walking back and forth? The answer was: absolutely not – that’s not convenient for the staff. This was a recurrent theme, in fact – the dive center seems to be run more for the benefit of the staff, then the guests.

3) Finally, in line with Euro-Divers philosophy of “the customer is always wrong”, they overcharged me at the end. They counted the number of dives wrong – I dove 13 dives, as I was aiming for the 12dives+1free package. They only recorded 12 dives and charged me a HIGHER price than for the 12+1 dives package. Despite discussing this issue with them THREE times, they refused to adjust the final price and I had to pay more than the correct amount. The difference was less than 5% of the total dive bill.

I still can’t believe that (a) they recorded the number of dives wrong and refused to correct it, then (b) they charged me MORE for 12 dives than for 13 dives – effectively overcharging me for NOT taking the “free” dive and (c) refusing to do anything about it despite the fact that I was visibly upset and complained 3 times. This last episode summed up the whole experience – avoid Euro-Divers at all costs!

Visited March 2012