Just returned from a 7 day trip to Long Beach Hotel after booking a last minute holiday a week or so before. Our first impressions of the hotel were extremely good and the front desk staff were extremely accommodating, offering a Virgin Mojito and hot towels on arrival. As we checked in at 12pm we were informed that our room would not be ready until 2pm which is hotel policy, although after 24 hours of travelling the first thing I wanted to do was freshen up!
Unfortunately, most of the issues we had with our stay started at this point. Upon returning to reception at 2pm to check in to our room we were informed that it was still not ready and we would have to wait around until it was. We then decided to go to the pool bar to have a quick bite to eat in the mean time only to find that a simple baguette and chips took the best part of an hour to arrive.
That evening we decided to have a quick dinner at the buffet restaurant and again were faced with more disappointing situations (which we found were going to be common problems throughout our stay). For example, the full range of cutlery was NEVER laid out on the table, drinks often arrived well into the meal (if the staff remembered to ask at all), milk was often left out to curdle, butter often took 10 minutes to arrive (by which time your toast was well and truly cold) and the dishes in the buffet were almost always incorrectly labelled (especially the desserts). It was also slightly concerning that about 50% off the staff have a poor grasp on English as I had to explain what a 'spoon' and 'straws' were several times.
It is a shame that the buffet restaurant was our first food experience as the Chinese & Japanese restaurant did offer a better level of service and food generally (even if the Japanese was a little pricey).
To be fair our main bug bear was with the buffet restaurant although a few other things happened that lowered our opinions, i.e. towel shack was still not open at 9am (when it was supposed to open at 8am) & staff attempted to enter our room three days before our checkout as we were 'supposed to be leaving' - no idea where they got that information from!
I would like to say however that there are a few members of staff who deserve praise as they save what level of service the hotel has- notably Dharam the pool bar attendant who was extremely attentive and friendly, Kevin the security guard and the pool bar manager whose name I can't quite remember (begins with R).
Also, the new Marketing Manager, Mike seemed extremely interested in our views and genuinely wanted to change things around so give it 6 months and the service may well reflect that of a 5* establishment.
In a nutshell, great surroundings and facilities but wouldn't go back while its in its current shape.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Sun Resorts property, Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort is located on the east coast, along one of the island's longest and widest natural beaches. Opened in 2011, it is an elegant and affable holiday resort featuring a unique blend of island chic architecture and tropical landscape. Its 255 rooms are harmoniously arranged in three semi-circles with wonderful views over the crystal-clear waters of the lagoon, the coral reef and the Indian Ocean beyond. With a choice of 5 restaurants, and an extensive range of activities including free green fees at the Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club, your holiday at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort are a long way from ordinary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Destinology, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Travelbag, Agoda, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Priceline, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Beach Mauritius Hotel Belle Mare
- Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Belle Mare