We stayed at The Residence for the second part of our honeymoon in Mauritius in November 2007.
We were met on arrival at the resort with cool ylang ylang scented towels (the scent they use throughout The Residence) and glasses of iced tea, then were shown to our room to complete the check in process. We had booked an ocean front room which was nice, fairly spacious (though we had just come from Le Telfair on the other side of the island where the rooms are larger so were comparing it to that). The main plus for the room though was the view, it was gorgeous! Indian ocean as far as the eye can see. A few moments after we arrived our butler arrived at the door with champagne on ice and to see if we needed him to unpack for us, what great service!
The pool at the hotel is lovely, and there are loungers set all around it. You do have to be up at a reasonable time to get one though, but there are plenty on the beach if the pool is full. The pool/beach boys are fantastic, and even unroll your towel for you. They also come round with water, a fresh fruit platter in the morning and ice lollies in the afternoon. The beach is nice, lovely white sand, but is fairly narrow. The loungers on the beach also aren't as comfy as the ones by the pool, and are plastic rather than the lovely wooden ones you see in the brochure pics!
Food at The Residence is absolutely excellent, some of the best we have ever eaten. There are two restaurants - the Dining Room and the more intimate Plantation. On the half board package you can eat at either of the two restaurants on their daily menu, or get a credit for 40 euro per person towards the a la carte menu which means you only have to pay a very small amount on top if anything. There are also a variety of fantastic buffets throughout the week of a very high standard, and some of them also have entertainment. The african musicians and dancers were particularly good. What really impressed us was that you could also have breakfast or dinner delivered to your room for no extra charge.
We had a special honeymoon dinner at the Plantation, and there were lots of nice little touches like personal menus for us to take home with us.
What really sets this hotel aside from other places we have visited was the service - we were thoroughly spoiled for the 10 days we were there. If you even went to pour your own water at dinner your waiter would be over before you know it doing it for you and telling you that you don't have to do anything as you are on holiday. Nothing is too much trouble either - whatever you ask you always get the response 'my pleasure' - so different to the terrible customer serice in the UK! The staff were also great at remembering your name and making you feel as if you were the most special guest there.
Overall we had a fabulous end to our honeymoon here, and hope to go back one day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TravelUp, Priceline, Destinology, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare