My wife and I have just returned from our 3rd two week visit to this wonderful hotel. We have travelled extensively, either on holiday or for business, and stay in 5 star hotels, so we can compare The Residence with other hotels around the world. We very rarely return to the same hotel, however good it is, because we like to experience different hotels
So what has drawn us back for a 3rd time to The Residence? Well we won't go into the same details we've said in our previous 2 reviews in 2008 and 2010, because they all still apply. The location, design, accommodation, food and atmosphere are all simply first class.
But what sets this hotel above others are the staff.
We will not mention all the outstanding individuals here , they are too many to name, but we will highlight Pradeep, Raj, Rajesh, Desire,Jean- Claude, Emerith, Sam, Ally, Bruno, Ali, Vikram, Rama, plus the day butler who daily changed the flowers my wife loved - all upheld the very high standards of this top class hotel and create a culture which is simply marvellous. And there were many more, including the reception staff and poolside attendants who were so attentive and very friendly and the housekeeping staff who did the most outstanding job of cleaning. Everyone simply could not do enough for us.
From top to bottom they are the best team of hotel staff we have experienced anywhere in the world. It's like coming to meet friends whose only aim is to make the experience the best it can be. From the moment you arrive, and the bell is struck to announce your arrival, it's a 5 plus star journey. Check -in , after a 12 hour flight is done in your room and is so quick and easy - just what you need. We had the same butler as last time , and he unpacked and laid out our clothes beautifully. Our room was a ocean view room and whilst the junior and senior suites are lovely, we find Zelda 2013's comment about the "small and cramped" rooms simply unbelievable - they are large, spacious and beautifully furnished and maintained, and you should not be put off by Zelda's snobby and misleading sneers.
The staff are always prepared to go the extra mile - the terrace manager asked if we'd like a fish for lunch, not on the menu, and had it cooked specially for us ( no extra cost) The butler who kept the flowers fresh, the poolside attendants who were so attentive. And I had a birthday, which the hotel made so memorable - aperetifs, drinks, best table specially dressed, special menu and dessert, birthday cake - it was wonderful! The pastry chef Stephane produces the most wonderful deserts, so if they're your thing, go here!
In successful businesses, one of the key factors driving success is something called "discretionary effort" - it's where employees come in early, stay late because they want to finish a task. It's where employees will do whatever it takes, even if it's not in their job description, and not in the expectation of more pay or reward. In other words they choose to do it not because they have to, but because they want to.
The Residence has this in abundance, and it's what separates it from other, more expensive hotels
The drinks are expensive -( eg a Phoenix local beer is just under £4) - but this is what you pay in 5* hotels around the world, so if it's a problem , go and stay somewhere else. And the VIP card is is well worth it - for lunches and discounts off drinks and purchases.
The weather in mid September to mid October is really very pleasant - temperatures are in the upper 70's, and the breeze can be very welcome at times. You will get the occasional shower, but these blow over quickly, typical of an island, and they rarely inconvenience much.
So will we return? You bet - when you find a real gem like The Residence, it's an easy decision to make and we will be back there next year
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare