I was so looking forward to my trip to The Residence after reading the reviews.The other three hotels I have visited far exceeded my expectations and hopes - however the Residence did not do that sadly. It pains me to write a review that isn't full of praise as I know that the team running the hotel will be unhappy to learn that it was not as we had hoped, along with other guests I spoke to and a travel companion who agreed.
The transfer driver drove us at breakneck speed in a bumpy van which was terribly uncomfortable.When I arrived the peach tea was just plonked on the table. No welcome like the other hotels where you feel so delighted to have arrived. The first room they gave me was depressingly located near a road and the view was disappointing . I was ready to leave then - and just pay the extra to go to another hotel. I spoke to the desk and they moved me to a sea view room- not near the road - for that I was relieved and grateful -and it helped to lessen the disappointment. My travel companion was equally underwhelmed.
The hotel lacks anything really special as far as I was concerned. The full board option is limited to only two choices and one dessert choice a night. What a bad way to go about it - nearly everything on the menu was extra if you wanted it.The drinks are heavily priced - and as for the spa treatments they cost more than London.
The gym was in the cellar smelled dank, was badly equipped and dark with no lights being on and having to exercise in the dark. It's the only gym I have avoided - always enjoying exercise. This basement disaster is not for even the most keen gym goer.
The beach is lovely and the views - everyone is very kind and helpful no problems there , it's just that no one in management seems to have thought about the guest experience at all. It's like going through the motions without any real effort or genuine care it's a bit like a conveyor belt.
The wifi whilst free is limited to one area and doesn't work. I gave up trying to email anyone which was really difficult with work commitments.. As for sharing photos ( free advertising for the hotel) not one could be shared. Having a free service is only of value if it actual works.
The corridors are really grim. Why not put some kind of rattan matting to cover the grey concrete . The walkways at night are dark and spooky when I was walking back alone - they need better lighting for women travelling alone as its near a public beach and in the dark I was actually nervous. This hotel was £800 more than my last holiday - and yet I had so much less, and this is one of the reasons that I would never visit again - it could be a wonderful place but it just misses the mark sadly.
The three other hotels in Mauritius I have visited are so sublime that I can't wait to go again and recommend them whole heartedly. I feel that the Residence at best is a four star hotel which I was hoping to love and just liked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare