We have just returned from a glorious 10 day stay at The Residence Hotel. We were upgraded to a spacious senior garden view suite (with champagne) upon arrival which was a great space for us and our three year old daughter. We were delighted as we had negotiated a lower than advertised rate directly with the hotel. Our room had a lovely large balcony with corner views of the sea. We also viewed the slightly smaller garden view suite and it too was very nice and almost equally spacious.
We arranged for the hotel Range Rover to collect us from the airport. At two and a half times the cost of a taxi we don't believe it was worth it. All taxis are air conditioned and mostly saloon cars. Also there is a better rate of exchange for your money at the airport. We only found a cashpoint at Port Louis.
The hotel suggested we leave a lump sum tip at the end of our stay instead of having to tip every staff member during our stay (and there are a lot of them). However, for some reason the receptionist was reluctant to give us a receipt for this although we insisted.
Both two hotel restaurants are very nice. We too recommend the buffet dinners. We complained about the poor service in The Dining Room one evening, and were rewarded with a fabulous upgraded birthday dinner at no extra cost. It is very unusual to come across poor service or unfriendly staff. In fact, they are almost all charming. There is a live band in the bar each evening, who were always very good even if we were not fans of the type of music they played. The bar scene is pretty sedate. Yes, the drinks are not the cheapest, but it's a lovely place to hang out after dinner. (You can also buy beer and wine at one of the local shops and put in your minibar fridge or ask for an ice bucket).
The hotel can arrange for you to take a private speedboat trip to the waterfall, however, we arranged directly with the same company on the hotel beach for a better deal. We had lunch on a beach only accessible by boat which was delicious (fresh fish, lobster and chicken off the grill). We also had the hotel arrange for a driver for the day to take us to Port Louis and Pamplemousse gardens. Both worth a visit. Had a very nice lunch in Port Louis at a rather smart looking restaurant for half the price the hotel would charge. We then moved on to the amazing Pamplemousse gardens which has no entrance fee and paid for a private guide (about 75p each although we tipped him heavily as he hoped we would). He was incredibly knowledgeable and we highly recommend you do the same if you visit.
Finally it is so hot right now that you need very lightweight clothing at all times, especially in the evening when it is nice to dress up for dinner. It is still very hot and humid at night and there is no need for jackets or pashminas EVER. Don't forget to pack summer clothes to change into before your plane lands.
Families with young children:
It is gloriously and dangerously hot at this time of year. Take car seats, favourite dvds, cds, all-covering sun protection swim suits, water shoes, use the kids club - they are great, book a babysitter (you will receive the same one for your entire stay), take favourite snacks for your little ones but don't leave exposed food in your room (ants will come for a feast). If flying British Airways, check in 24 hours in advance on-line to secure bulk head seats.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Destinology, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare