From the moment we arrived the staff at the Residence went out of their way to make us welcome. Having stayed at Le Touessrok previously we have to say that staying at the Residence was far more enjoyable. The staff at the Residence are much friendlier and more attentive and made for a much more exclusive feel to the holiday.
The butlers are a great touch and do all sorts of things to help make your stay relaxing even helping you to unpack, ironing your clothes, running special baths and constantly tidying your room and adding nice little touches all very discreetly.
There is one central pool complex with the main large 1.2m deep pool, 3 smaller shallower pools suitable for younger children and a large hot tub. Even though there are officially no lifeguards the friendly security staff are very attentive and are always keeping a close eye on the children which helps you to relax.
The kids club is definitely one of the best we have come across. It is free and you can drop off the children after breakfast and can collect them as late as 10pm! You can drop them off and pick them up pretty much any time you want and they will feed them as well if you wish. Makes it very easy for the parents to have a romantic meal, or an afternoon sailing or even just a couple of hours of peace by the pool. The staff are very good and are quite inventive at finding things for the children to do. After the first day our children were asking us to go back and we had to drag them away on occasion!
There are essentially two evening restaurants and the food was excellent at both. Both restaurants are a la carte and there are a couple of special themed buffet evenings during the week. Much better than some places where half board includes a buffet restaurant only with a huge premium to eat a la carte. There is a premium to pay for some of the dishes although there is a different menu of the day every day at each of the restaurants. Drinks and food are expensive but that is the norm for Mauritius and it is a 5 star resort. Our favourite restaurant for dinner was the Plantation which is away from the central complex and sits close to the beach. Breakfast is served in the Main Restaurant and there is a great variety to chose from while lunch is served by the pool, in the bar area or at the Plantation.
There is a good selection of watersports including sailing, water ski-ing, snorkelling, kayaks, pedaloes etc. The kit is all in good condition and it is all free while the staff at the water sports centre are also very good at looking after your every need. I believe diving can be arranged as well for a fee.
The beach is very long and you can go for a long stroll in either direction passing numerous other resorts. It is a beautiful beach. There are a number of vendors on the beach and while they will try and approach you they are all good natured and will leave you in peace if you are not interested. There is quite a lot of broken coral that gets washed up on to the beach at the water line but it is sandy bottomed further out and fine for swimming in. The hotel sweep and rake the beach clean every morning! We took the children snorkelling straight off the beach and it was fine. You can see a small number of fish near to the shore but there is a twice daily snorkelling trip further out to the reef and plenty of fish to see there. Whether you settle on the beach or by the pool the staff will look after you.
I am a paleskin and don't like it too hot so July is a perfect time for me to go to Mauritius as it is the middle of the winter. The sun is low so you are much less likely to burn and the temperatures average around the mid twenties with a fairly constant offshore breeze that makes things very pleasant. You will get the occasional cloudy day and the odd short shower. However, if you are a real sun worshipper and like it very hot, then come in the European winter/Mauritian summer to avoid disappointment.
We had a ground floor suite with two rooms and there was plenty of space with every convenience you could need and a large veranda area although we did not really use that. All of the rooms are a short walk from all of the amenities.
Having stayed in many different resorts over the years this is not one of the largest or the most complex but it is definitely one of the best and the friendliest we have come across with exceptional service and we would highly recommend a visit. We don't normally go back to a place but I think we will go back to the Residence one day soon.
The only criticism is that it is not really a place with a wild nightlife but to be honest that is not what we were looking for and if you are then this is probably not the place for you. If you want nightlife then I don’t think Mauritius is the place to go to.
Great for families and groups of friends and the beach is large enough for honeymooners to find a quiet secluded spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare