We stayed here the second week of a two week trip and definitely saved the best for last! Accommodation, service and food was wonderful from the moment of arrival when your entrance is marked by ringing a bell with a drink and cool hand towel supplied by immaculate staff. You could easily chill out and not do anything at all with attentive staff outnumbering guests with wonderfully prepared snacks and meals available, all beautifully presented. Fruit snacks and lollies plus cool hand towels were brought round by the pool daily late morning. There was also a management cocktail party held weekly to introduce the managers and get guests mingling. It has a very old colonial feel (in the nicest way) although it it very chic too and is run by a French manager.
We were especially lucky as the hotel was not at full capacity after the Easter break and at the start of a run down to a soft furnishings refurbishment through the next few months (not that it looked as if it needed it anywhere other than a few bar stools. There are many tempting and comfortable places to sit scattered around the public rooms and the gardens had some well tended and interesting planting. The only real disturbance was a party of Frenchmen who were only staying for three days who got into Karioke mode one night into the early hours which was a bit annoying and very unexpected at a hotel of this calibre with mainly families and couples resident.
You can have breakfast on your balcony for no extra cost and feel really pampered. We preferred the main restaurant to the Plantation, which does a few buffet themed nights during the week. We chose to be completely spoiled and waited on each evening (mainly as we'd been mainly buffet the first week and wanted a change) it was probably more like a night at a Gordon Ramsay or Aldo Zilli's, with ingenious dishes of the best fresh and quality produce and plenty of choice. there was a generous allowance for those on half board which meant that going A La Carte was not an expensive option and generally covered two courses without extra cost. One evening I had a main course in the Plantation which was really highly salted and therefore inedible. This was sorted out immediately by the manager of the restaurant in our favour just as a result of the waiter enquiring about my leaving it when clearing the dishes - pity it spoiled my dinner, but it was compensated by good follow up service without the need for a specific complaint.
On the activity side there are tennis courts, pool and watersports, including waterskiing and snorkling out near the reef, with beaches which stretch for miles in both directions allowing long unhindered walks for those with enough energy, plus a village about 5 miins walk along the road outside the hotel. Beach traders seemed to set up beachside shops rather than accost you on a regular basis which was much better for all concerned and we had no problem with sellers on any of our walks. The beaches are busy (and get quite narrow at high tide) as there are other hotels adjacent but swimming was safe and it was sand so you don't need shoes. The Belle Mare hotel next door was in the process of extending onto a site between the two hotels where there used to be a villa but there was no noise or disturbance from that and rooms in that wing were not occupied just in case it caused annoyance!
There are two terminals for Internet access (which is free and includes a printer) and will save you a fortune if you need to keep in touch with work or family or check in online for your return journey.
This is the ideal retreat for chilling out, there is some entertainment in the bar (piano) most evenings if you want to go in search of it, but no disco's or real partying unless you make it yourself. Not the place for party animals or if you don't like being outnumbered by staff. It's expensive but we found it worked out good value overall and worth every rupee for the experience!
Our one and only criticism relates to our departure, which was early in the morning and where we feel the hotel fell down slightly just taking the edge off the experience in our case, as if we no longer mattered. We left our luggage in our room rather than wake everyone up dragging it down the corridor at 5am only to find the reception deserted. In the end my husband went back to the room to get the cases and only encountered help when the lads cleaning the hotel reception floors took pity on him (having looked on bewildered for some time and unsure what to do). I don't think they'd ever seen reception empty before, or been needed to help in this way, judging by their reaction, so we were obviously just unlucky that our wonderful stay ended on a slight negative. The staff must have known what time we were due to leave so it was an error that the reception staff was missing but fortunately we had checked out the previous evening so were not badly inconvenienced.
Recommended for a pampering stay and special occasions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Destinology, Priceline, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare