“Lovely hotel”
Review of Ambre Resort & Spa

Ambre Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have just returned from staying at the Ambre hotel which was perfect. We travelled with Thomson on the first flight of the Dreamliner Aircraft to Mauritius and I can only say that the planes are superb there is so much leg room in economy and the in flight entertainment was great, I cannot however say the food was this must be the worst food I have ever had on a flight and it overs shadows the fact that the plane is so good. Thomson need to get their act together.
Our rep in resort was great - she was always there it help so thank you.

Now for the hotel, on arrival at about 6 am we were checked in very quickly and shown straight to our room which was on the top floor with a balcony and seaview it was perfect all very clean and well maintained. The only thing I would have liked would have been a clock but that is just me. The room was always kept spotless and the linen changed everyday cannot fault the staff at all.

The restaurants were all very good a great choice of food, we did not eat on the beach of an evening as it always seemed a bit to windy for me but we ate there at lunchtime and it was fine. We ate at both the other restaurants and they always had a good choice. In the Italian restaurant we notice that they did change the menu from week to week which is great as it gives you a better choice. Sometimes the waiting staff was a bit hit and miss but overall it was a good experience.

The main self service restaurant always had great choices of food and I found a lot of the vegetarian options to be great and I am not vegetarian. The breakfast was always good and I would like to say a big thank you to Wendy and Arti who were always there to help and very efficient. The guys who did the egg station were also good and friendly. Of an evening we did find that the guys who cleared the plates were a bit hit and miss - I chose to eat on the right side of the restaurant as the left side was so inconsistant.

It may be an idea to have another restaurant which could be used if the beach was not available.

The pool area and lounge areas were always so clean and well kept as was the bar area. The bar staff were great and really friendly and fun to chat to some seemed to work very long hours but always had a smile and time for you.

There was always plenty of sunbeds to use but I would say there could have been more umbrellas as I find the I cannot sit in the sun all day and whilst we always found an umbrella I know some guests had diffiiculty, but overall it was great.

As we did all inclusive it was nice to have a bar in your room with soft drinks and water.

To me the evening entertainment was ok but could not be seen if you were sitting at the back of the bar perhaps a proper stage area would be better, but that is just me.

I would like to say a big thank you to all at the Ambre Hotel and what a great time we had.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and seaview
4  Thank vacationgirl001
Ambre H, Sales Manager at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guests,

We wish to thank you for the time taken to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

We have well noted all the points you referred to and shared to our team members for actions to be implemented. You can rest assured that necessary measures have been taken to set right some of the issues in our continuing process of improvement.

We reiterate our thanks for choosing Ambre Hotel for your holidays and hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Mauritius is quite under rated when compared to the more exotic beach holiday destinations around the world - however the location is simply stunning! we did enjoy ourselves quite thoroughly. The hotel itself, from what we read in the brochure - had undergone a renovation in the previous year. The finishes were modern and colorful. Tasteful and minimalist. Owing to the materials chosen during the renovation - the finishes may vary from room to room. being particularly pedantic - I thought the counter tops had water stains and the floors seemed dirty - that was just because of the weathering of the materials used. Other than that - a comfortable room - just what you need after a long day at the beach.
The resort has 3 restaurants - the main one offers a buffet selection for dinner and breakfast and lunch and dinner is typically served at the other 2 restaurants. the choice of food is overwhelming and the quality is also really good! the service on the beach - in terms of drinks and food is also efficient. If your idea of chilling out on beach with drinks constantly refilled is your cup of tea - then this is an ideal location. Also note that depending on the package that you take - there are various food and drink options. We were on the all inclusive package - this only included selected beverages and usually substituted more expensive brand name drinks with local beverages. Other than that - we had no issue with that.

On the beach - there are a few activities that were included in our package - however the use of motorized equipment (like jet skis) is not. the evening entertainment is also unmistakably Mauritian - we were amused and enthralled by the Sega show. all in all - a really good getaway

Room Tip: If you want a quieter stay - try and get a room that is away from the main restaurant Get to the be...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deepesh G

Greetings from Ambre Hotel!

Thank you for taking time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We truly value your feedback as this will help us in our continuing process of improvement.

We are delighted to learn our services and location made you feel the fragrance of paradise.

We wish to reiterate our thanks for your comments and for sojourning with us.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you soon on our shores.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We recently stayed at The Ambre hotel from April 18th to May 2nd. It was an absolute delight from the moment we arrived to the day we left. The view as you enter the reception is breathtaking, looking out over the pool area out to the ocean. The hotel staff are outstanding, nothing was too much trouble for them. I had a problem with my mobile phone and Yusuf, one of the bar staff in the Coral bar went above and beyond to help me. The bar staff around the pool and beach work so hard, on the go all day and night ensuring you always have a drink. The food was amazing, catering for everyone's taste. We had a room with a garden view which was still beautiful, let's face it you don't spend much time in your room when you are in such a beautiful resort. The white sugar sand, clear blue ocean, choice of two pools, what more could you ask for. The hotel was spotless. We will definitely be going back soon. Loved it. Andrew and Caroline Bradley. Xx

3  Thank Caroline B

Dear Mr & Mrs Bradley,

Greetings from Ambre Hotel!

We wish to extend our heartfelt thanks for choosing Ambre for your stay and for the time taken to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

We are very delighted to read that we have been able to exceed your expectations and that we have been able to make your stay a memorable one!

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our great hotel!!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just got back from a lovely two week holiday at this fantastic resort and so I thought I'd write my review while everything is still fresh in my head. We flew on the Dreamliner. Wow!! What an improvement from the old Thomson planes. I usually have 'swollen ankle syndrome' on long haul flights, this was not the case with this flight. We found it comfortable and were very satisfied with the overall experience.

The money exchange desk was open and we changed our money at the airport with no trouble. We were able to get small notes and the service was very good.

When arriving at the hotel (at stupid o'clock in the morning) we, as others have said, were impressed! We were shown to our room immediately on arrival, the room was perfectly adequate on the first floor facing the garden. However, having seen the sea view rooms when wandering around, we immediately went to see the Thomson rep who arranged an upgrade at a very good price. The new room was amazing with a stunning view. Sitting on the terrace in the morning and evening listening to the waves crashing on the reef was an experience I just cannot describe adequately. It was heaven.

The food was very nice, very well laid out and labelled clearly. It was very nice with lots of different options. Unlike most All Inclusives I have stayed at, it is worth saying at this point that there are a vast amount of tasty vegetarian choices. I am not vegetarian but I did enjoy the meat free dishes and didn't eat a huge amount of meat while there as a result. We didn't enjoy the A la Carte restaurants so much, but others seemed to so it is obviously just a matter of different tastes and therefore not something I shall comment further on.

The staff were wonderful Polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble - they are truly an asset and in my opinion make a huge contribution into making this place what it is.

There are a few dogs and cats running around but they are friendly and we didn't mind. We were just amazed that there was no sign of any 'smelly accidents' anywhere. One did follow me into the room one day lol. I had a disposable plastic cup so I just filled it with water and put it on the terrace for her, she had a little drink and then trotted off to the next terrace to say hello. There were a couple of people we noticed who didn't look too happy with them around but everyone is different and we didn't think they were a nuisance really (the animals I mean). It kind of added to the ambiance.

We bought a few things from the guys selling stuff on the beach. I would like to say that we did not find them pushy at all and they were happy to stop for a chat even if you didn't want to buy anything. If you didn't want a chat a simple no thank you and a smile and they went on their way. We found chatting to them quite informative with regards to things to see and do on the island.

We needed to nip to a supermarket while we were there. Reception had a taxi ready in less than 5 minutes which was 800 rupees return. The driver will wait for you for up to two hours for this price. I think some people arranged their own transport for a cheaper price but we found it was easier to do it through reception.

Overall, this place is wonderful. We heard one complaint while we were waiting at reception but it was all done in a friendly manner by both the guest and reception staff and resolved immediately which I think speaks volumes.

I am a wine drinker and have never been to an all inclusive before that provided wine I liked (we usually go to DR). I am no expert on wine but I found it perfectly drinkable. The only thing I will say, is we like to have a drink on the balcony/terrace. The room service wine is very expensive (I would estimate £40 a bottle). It was a shame that you couldn't take a bottle to your room from the bar or at the very least be able to order a reasonably priced bottle from room service. The wine is reasonably priced at the supermarket though if traipsing back and forwards from to room to bar with glasses is not your thing. That is my one and only complaint and is probably not really worthy of a mention in the grand scheme of things. (Still would have been nice lol)

We will most certainly return.

4  Thank R0sc0e2007
Ambre H, Sales Manager at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your time taken to write your experience at Ambre Hotel.

Your review reflects that you have had a fantastic time at our resort and we truly value your feedback as this will help our team members to continue creating authentic stays for our guests.

We look forward to having you back in the future and thank you once again for your warm comments.

Sincerely Yours,

*** Comprehensive Review ***

My partner and I wanted a hotel that was away from the traditional busy tourist locations in the north of Mauritius. We decided to look east, it was the first time the both of us has been to a resort on the east coast so there was some apprehension. On our previous holiday we were offered half board at a different resort, but on this trip we were looking for something that was all inclusive since we knew we would be spending most of the time within the hotel after spending a week catching up with family from a separate hotel. Our 7 nights at Ambre were amazing, although we did encounter some issues.

Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
* We were in a superior room and it was comfortable and spacious. The king size bed was not too firm or soft, but just perfect. Our room did not have a balcony or outside space since we were on the top floor, but had a beautiful ocean view. There was nice sound proofing, we did not hear our neighbours at all.

* Bathroom and toilets are separate for added convenience and privacy, there is enough space to put any toiletries and the shower comes with a hand held shower hose and an overhead shower head that you can select depending on your preference. Water pressure was average but adequate. Inside the bathroom there is also a convenient retractable clothes line...which can be easily missed which is not a bad thing.

* The staff are very friendly and accommodating and they go out of the way to make you feel at home and comfortable.

* Being all inclusive gave us access to a variety of different types of food and drinks. With three restaurants to choose from, our 7 days there were definitely not short of variety. The beach restaurant offered a nice candlelit atmosphere meters from the water on the sand. The a la Carte Italian restaurant offered varying types of Italian food. Finally the buffet restaurant offered up a large selection of food for breakfast lunch and dinner. For dinner the Italian and buffet restaurants require a particular dress code, but the beach restaurant was more casual. The pool bar itself was open most of the day for drinks and snacks can be ordered at times. There is also an enclosed sports bars for the sport fanatics. The all-inclusive drinks can be ordered at any of the bars or restaurants, after a while you will find your favourite cocktails and may stick with the same one.

* There are daily activities within the hotel, majority of the water activities are free, but the staff at the boathouse can assist you with any additional activities that cost money. As for the non-water activities, there is a gym, tennis courts, bocce/petanque, beach volleyball, badminton, water polo, aqua aerobics (highly recommended!), yoga and many more. Some of these are not available every day, but see staff for more information. The activities or 'animation' staff are pleasant and very approachable.

* Each night there is a theme night near the pool bare, with entertainment and music, this normally will go on until about midnight afterwards there is a small night club attached to sports bar, which is a positive because the music will not carry on until the night, therefore you can still stay by the pool in peace and quiet until the early hours.

* For those of you who want to go out and see the island, there are various ways to do so and there are staff on hand to help you plan the perfect day out and a packed picnic lunch can be arranged 24 hours, which can be used in or out of the hotel (TIP: If you are having a late check-out, order a picnic lunch because at 2pm your all inclusive ends.)

Cons:

* I enjoyed my room, but the power plugs are in the oddest places. I wanted to charge my phone and tablet, but the plugs near the desks were on the floor and one was being used by the lamp and the other one was for the TV. The room itself was nice and big, but seem to lack some furniture.

* There was a note not to use the hair dryer in the bathroom for safety reasons, one must assume that the only way to enforce that is to have no power point in the bathroom. Not that the hair dryer worked in the bathroom, it worked only on one plug that was located in the bedroom on the floor. Therefor my partner had to dry her hair sitting on the floor, the hair dryer itself was so poorly designed that it never stayed on long enough.

* I can only assume that the hot water system is solar, I do respect the need to be environmentally friendly, especially for such a massive hotel but I could not get warm water some mornings and the overhead shower was never as affective as the handheld.

* The staff in the hotel are fantastic, accommodating and approachable, but I speak creole and I was very appalled at some of the language the staff used towards each other, to assume someone does not understand your language is unacceptable. Made worst when what is being said is mildly insulting, this needs to be addressed because I could have easily made dozens of complaints about language and comments of the staff especially that of the bar, beach restaurant and boat staff ("that fat woman needs to be on another boat...").

* Stray cats and dogs are a problem all over Mauritius and we encountered them of course at the hotel, mostly at the beach, the staff do their very best to get rid of the dogs if you mention it, but the tourists need to be made aware that they are not to feed the animals, this encourages them to stay. Stray animals carry diseases and are not acceptable within areas where food is served, this was an issue on the beach restaurant and there were cats in the buffet restaurant. This sort of thing can lower the standards of a hotel dramatically in most countries.

* The non-smoking parts of the hotel need to be a bit more clearly defined. Since most of the time we were around someone who was smoking, my partner has asthma and many times on our holiday we had to retire to our room because she had issues breathing. Having an ashtray right next to a sunbed near the pool or the beach is not really fair on the non-smokers and we met a few other people with the same views.

* I booked myself into a massage and was severely disappointed. For the price I paid I was shocked. There was no chance to relax. If you chose to get a massage in the open outside with bamboo shades, then you would have had to deal with smokers walking past and you have to hope that the 'silence' sign stops people from talking. I booked in for the massage and aroma therapy...I am not sure where the aroma was. At other places for treatments I spent time with the therapist, they discussed my treatment with me, my skin type, aromas I prefer, what I do for a living...basically to personalize it for me. The type of massage I got was worse than that I would find in a small place in shopping mall and even those places offer you a more relaxing surrounds. The hotel either needs to scrap this service or remodel the entire massage centre, employ a company whose sole purpose is therapy based on relaxation.

* There is quite a nice range of cocktails on offer, but would like to see some more variations in flavour, in the end my partner and I stuck to 2 different types.

* There needed to be more traditional Mauritian cuisine on offer, we tried all three restaurants and a lot of food and coming from a Mauritian background, only a handful of dishes were traditionally Mauritian. Mauritian food is part of its history and culture, it’s a mix of humble dishes and dishes that have been adapted from other cultures and made new.

* The nightly entertainment did not really show the culture of Mauritius nor did it really get the guests engaged, this really needs to be addressed. What we had was a list of average imitators, some were good, whereas the others seemed like cheesy knockoffs. In our seven nights there we did not feel like the hotel dressed up each night properly as a theme and there was no Sega either.

* Something needs to be done about the poolside sunbeds, a lot of times we have gone to breakfast at 7:45am and many of them had beach towels and nothing more on them, and when we went and sat on a bed, they were still empty by 9am. Guests would leave the towels there, go have breakfast, shower and then when they felt like it, come and sit on the bed "reserved" bed.

Overall
Even though there are a lot of negative points, I enjoyed my time there, this is by far not close to being 4 star yet, perhaps 3 star, but I can see them working on it. I do recommend staying at this hotel, but be aware of the cons mentioned above, I have noticed that previous cons that people have mentioned has been resolved, I just hope management read this review and takes some notes.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a superior beach room rather than a standard room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TravelClaim

Greetings from Ambre Hotel!

Please allow us to express our sincere thanks for the time spared to share such constructive comments on the trip advisor which undoubtedly allow us to continuously strive to improve our level of services and products.

We have taken note with great concern about the discomfort and niggles you were subjected to during your holiday, we have therefore no words other than to express our most profuse apologize for the inconvenience you were subjected.

We wish to reassure you that corrective an preventive measures will be enhanced in order to avoid such recurrences .

On the other hand we take note of your appreciation and positives notes with regard to our hotels and some members who have met your satisfaction. We shall certainly cascade your compliments to them.

On a concluding note, should you intend to renew your stay please let us know, whereby we shall extend our courtesies and special attention.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

A very nice hotel, however service at the beach bar is quite slow and the selection available for lunch is very poor.

Dinner was great with an excellent variation of food. Breakfast was good too and the staff working this shift were very friendly and accommodating.

Another downside was that very early in the morning the staff were very loud while chatting amongst themselves.

Will give it another go next time though.

Room Tip: Pls ask for seaview
2  Thank ZyadKZ

Dear Guests,

We thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holiday escape and for the time taken to write about your lovely experience on our shores.

On the other hand we would like to extend our profuse apology for the little hiccup occurred.
The points you referred to were noted and you can rest assured that necessary mesures have been taken to set right the issue inh our continuing process of improvement.

We wish to reiterate our thanks for your comments and for sojourning with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you soon on our shores.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Right from the day of arrival till the checkout day, me and my wife loved each and every moment at Ambre Resort.
Beautiful location, lovely long pool, neat and clean rooms, awesome food & drink.
Thank you very much to the management team and all the staffs of Ambre Resort for making our Honeymoon time soooooooo soooooooo special and pleasant :)
Special thanks to Aiesha (from front desk) for taking care of us all the time during our stay. Trust you have received a small gift from our side (specially gifted from my wife). Hope you like it :)
No more words to describe about Ambre Resort...... Simply a Thumbs Up with an Unlimited "Likes" just like the way you provided us with an unlimited drinks, food, activities, fun, romance and etc etc :) :) :*

Room Tip: Standard rooms are all garden facing rooms which are awesome. But i am sure, the sea facing rooms wi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Singh_Ji_007
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guests,

On behalf of the entire team, We would like to thank you for having chosen Ambre Hotel for your Honeymoon escapade.

Thank you also for having taken the time to share your experience on trip advisor. We are glad to read that you have brought home the memories of your honeymoon which we trust you will cherish forever and also the memories of a great holiday experience.

Your review is fantastic and we are glad to read how the entire resort experience and the special name mentioned, has also left you with so much memories and feelings.

The greatest reward of an hotelier is to have his or her guests return and you can rest assured that the team and I are all looking forward to welcome you again.

Thank you also for your high recommendations. We will keep on memories the pleasure we had to be at your service.

Warm regards

#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Ambre Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!