We stayed at the Lux Belle Mare for 10 nights in September 2013. Having researched Mauritius heavily we decided to splash out on a stay at this hotel based on the fantastic reviews. Perhaps our expectations were a little too high but we were sadly a little disappointed. On first sight, the hotel is grand, modern and clean and has a beautiful beach location. It really could be paradise but is let down by some very minor issues which could so easily have been put right. A few small issues are always to be expected but we felt that they all added up throughout our stay leaving us with an overall 'average' view of what should have been a holiday of a lifetime.
The good points:
+ The beach is beautiful - crystal waters and soft white sand.
+ The rooms were spacious - we had a junior suite which was more than adequate.
+ Although we didn't have any treatments at the spa we did use the sauna/steamroom/hot tub facilities which were in a lovely secluded garden area. This area is quite well hidden and none of the hotel staff made us aware that it existed. It's a beautiful area which could easily be missed.
+ The housekeeping staff did a fantastic job of keeping the room immaculately clean and tidy.
+ The communal areas are clean and modern
+ The quality of the food and service in the a la carte restaurants was excellent.
The bad points:
- Although the room was large, it had clearly not been refurbished for some time. Some of the furniture was faded and generally a bit 'tatty'. Most of the taps leaked and a two of the lamps in the room didn't work which was frustrating as the room was quite dark and badly lit. This may seem picky, but it's simply not the standard we would usually expect from a 5 star resort. We spoke to someone at the reception desk immediately on arrival to ask if we could change rooms and we were told to come back the next day once they had completed the room allocations. When we went back the next day we were told to come the following day and speak to the manager. We gave up asking as by this point we had unpacked and wanted to settle and get on with enjoying the holiday.
- 15 minutes after being shown to our room, we had a knock on the door from a member of the team wanting to show us one of the pool villas in an attempt to get us to upgrade. He wouldnt tell us the cost of the upgrade until we had seen the room so being disappointed with ours, we went to look at the villa. The cost of the upgrade was an additional 200 euros per night!! The rooms were beautiful but having already paid in excess of £5k for this holiday it was an expense we simply couldn't justify. Instead, it just highlighted even more the poor standard of the regular suites.
- The food in the evening buffet restaurant which although was great quality was very, very repetitive. Most evenings were just a slight variation on the same old dishes. For example, Mediterranean night consisted of the usual curry/rice/noodle dishes but with the addition of some slices of pizza and a risotto. The type of food offered in the a la carte restaurants was also very similar to what was on offer in the main restaurant.
- The Beach Bar was closed for refurbishment during our stay - as it was sectioned off it really impeded the view of the beach from many areas around the hotel. The work was also quite noisy. I appreciate that refurbishment needs to take place to maintain the high standards of the hotel but no-one made any attempt to warn us that this was taking place upon arrival. A simple apology would have gone a long way.
- With one restaurant closed and the hotel at 85% occupancy it made the other restaurants very busy especially at lunch times. The staff struggled to service the tables - we waited over 30 minutes one day for our bill.
- With the Beach Bar closed it meant a long wait for drinks down on the beach. The waiter on the beach was excellent but with a long walk to the inside bar it took approx 20 minutes each time drinks were ordered.
- A very large temporary marquee was being erected on the beach during our stay to accommodate a large function the following week (presumably as the Beach Bar was out of use.) Again this really spoilt the beach view with vehicles and staff working on the structure in the main beach area for over a week.
- The a la carte restaurants appeared to be almost empty on some evenings yet it was difficult to book a table. We rang on several mornings to book tables and were unable to book for that evening or the following day.
- The information provided by the hotel about the resort is quite poor and doesn't help you to make the most of your stay. The booklet provided in the room to give you information about the resort is massively out of date - it references a bar 'Blue Savannah' that we were told by our waiter hadn't existed for some time, and it claims that lunch is served until 6pm in 'The Kitchen' when infact after 3pm the usual menu is reduced to just sandwiches. Also, it is not made very clear that certain things are not included in the AI package. For example, only 2 beers and soft drinks per day are included form the mini bar (all snacks and wine/spirits are chargeable) and although meals in the a la carte restaurants are included, they have special 'tapas' menus 1 night a week which are offered at a £70 per head supplement which very nearly caught us out.
- The general service was hit and miss. Some staff were exceptional (particularly the bar staff, drinks waiters in the beach area and housekeeping staff) but others were slow and forgetful. Most evenings we didn't get our drinks until we had finished our starters, we had to ask several times for missing cutlery, sauces, side plates etc.
- We felt that the hotel lacked atmosphere. The lunch time entertainment was great but very repetitive with the same band playing the same songs most days. The evening entertainment was varied and on the whole was very good, but most evenings it was finished by 10.30pm. We usually prefer to eat later on holidays and enjoy a drink and some entertainment after our meal but we were unable to do this. The entertainment was really designed for guests who like to be at the front of the dinner queue and in bed for 10.30pm.
- The lack of atmosphere was also perhaps impacted by the Beach Bar being closed as this left only 1 bar to use in the evening. Also, it was hard to distinguish where the 'a la carte' restaurants ended and the main restaurant/bar starts. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the variety of bars/restaurants on offer as we were concerned a 10 night stay could become repetitive but really, there was just 1 large area divided into 1 bar and 3 restaurants.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Ebookers, HotelsClick and TripOnline SA so you can book your LUX* Belle Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Belle Mare Hotel Belle Mare
- Beau Rivage Resort
- Beau Rivage Mauritius
- Beau Rivage Belle Mare
- Mauritius Beau Rivage
- Beau Rivage Hotel Mauritius
- LUX* Belle Mare Mauritius