“You will love it”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have stayed now the 3rd time in a row and we want miss any day at Lux Belle Mare. Its a great combination between a relaxing holiday and great offer on activities you can do If you want. It has one of the best beaches and boathouses in Mauritius. There is never be a problem to find your own place on the beach or in the nice garden.
Having 4 restaurants you can dine around and enjoy the good food through your stay. What should not be missed is the the Cafe Lux. Incredibly Lux Belle mare do their own coffee roasting and believe its a very good coffee. Just during our stay they added as well there own ice brand which was great and tasty. All staff from the front desk to the service and maintainance etc. are very friendly and always on the spot to help you. All in all I can only recommend to stay in Lux Belle Mare. You will love it

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank askr1995
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear askr1995, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare - your home here in Mauritius! Thank you so much for your beautifully worded review. It is always so encouraging to get repeat guests like yourselves who impose faith in us year after year and then to read such wonderful reviews.You have highlighted the various features which make our resort special and I thank you for mentioning all these various aspects of the resort especially like Café LUX* and ICI - our Ice creams! We genuinely believe our resort combines the best of all the essential elements to make a beach holiday special and your comment reinforces our belief. We hope to see you back soon;

Ashish Modak

Write a ReviewReviews (5,639)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

As a family of 5 including 3 smaller children, LUX Belle Mare was an excellent option. Really kidsfriendly but still with a real luxury for others as well.

Rooms - Stayed in a "regular room" which was spacious and with everything we needed. Quality of small things such as shampoo and conditioner was top class. Also cleaning service was perfect. All rooms are close to beach, restaurants and pool. Very comfortable bed!

Food - We had a half-board option. I am usually not a superfan of buffets, but overall I must say that it was high quality and enough options. It was also a good variety from day to day. It was also very good that the half-board actually included also the A la carte restaurants apart from senses. With the kids we only tried East but food there was good. For lunches when food was not included I would say that the Beach restaurant had several good and good priced options. The service in the main restaurant was friendly, but not very efficient. Staff was quite often unfocused, and for a 5-star business hotel where time is of the essence, this would never work. However, being on holiday, time was less important, but still a bit annoying.

Drinks - The offered standard wines were of good quality. However, what we did not think was of sufficient quality where the cocktails and drinks ordered from the Bar. We tried mojitos, pineapple daiquiries, a Pina Colada and Long Island Icetea. One time, the daiquiri was of okey quality, the rest were actually outright bad. Thus, management should invest in either one or two proper bartenders or at least some more training. Coffee on the other excellent!!

Other services - Excellent. Superfriendly staff. The kids club was great with much variety of activitities. Our kids loved it. Almost all water activities are included which is also very good.

Finally, the beach. The beach is very very nice. There is a great pool, but for me, I cannot understand why people come to a place like this and only spend time by the pool when they have a world class beach next to it.

It is with some minor perks highly recommended and for a holiday resort, 5 star.

Room Tip: A regular room works fine for a family of 4.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pjotars
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear pjotars, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. I thank you for the detailed review. You have mentioned all the various aspects of the resort and have taken the time and efforts to explain all the positives and areas of improvement in your comment. Food and Beverage is an integral part of a holiday and I am very happy to note that you enjoyed the variety and quality of food across all the areas. I have noted your comments on the service and drinks and assure you that the same is being addressed in earnest. We usually do get very positive comments for our drinks but I do believe that every single feedback is extremely important and we will work on the same immediately. Thank you also for highlighting the beach and finally our biggest asset - our team in your review.The resort lays a lot of importance on creating special moments for all of our guests by offering a wide choice of unique experiences and I am glad we stood up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon;

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for our honeymoon thinking it would be a good reliable 5 star resort.. But it turned out to be so much more.. First of all it is on the best beaches in Mauritius (east coast). It has stunning facilities, so much space and designed with natural elegance. The pool is enormous and beautifully overlooks the beach. The resort has so many activities taking place free of charge that you can do yoga, play tennis, water ski, sail etc everyday! Not too busy, but with the amount of facilities they have, it wouldn't matter.

Food - Delicious!! So much variety and so fresh.. On the beach dining, music in the background. Love it!

Most importantly this place has 10/10 customer service, each and every staff is so pleasant to talk to, it has a calming effect on us . Mauritius itself has nice people so that helps..

The spa/massage was brilliant as well.. Best massage I have ever had, and the ambience was serene as well. Ask for Preeti as the masseuse she was excellent. Recommend it!!

This place isn't cheap to say the least. But of you have money to spend, this is the place to do it!! Perfect for all kinds of people. Honeymoon or Group of friends..

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Off to eat at one of the 4 different restaurants in the resort. Don't think too much, just come..

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anukool S

Dear Anukool S, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you are enjoying a wonderful stay with us and experiencing the "wow" factor in all the various areas of the resort. You have mentioned the beautiful landscaping of the resort, the experience at the spa and the quality and variety of dining experiences besides unique offerings like Yoga. I am so happy that we have stood up to your expectations;

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The really special thing about the Lux Belle Mare is the combination of the stylishness of a hip hotel and total child friendliness, luxury and amazing service. We loved it.
The giant cushions and hammocks amongst the palm trees, the cool restaurant/ bar - Beach Rouge - all white with sofas to sip drinks on, good music and delicious food , make you feel like a very stylish grown up, but just a few steps away is an ice-cream stand which is the delight of all the kids, a huge pool with islands, and shallow areas to play in- and an ace Kids Club, offering pizza making sessions in the kitchen, glass bottom boat rides and treasure hunts. We were taken care of wonderfully by Elvis Follet who made our stay very memorable and lovely.
The rooms are a huge plus in the hotel - newly renovated, contemporary and designed by Kelly Hoppen - in whites and neutrals, with bleached wood, beds to die for with great linen -and egg-shaped bathtubs.

Our party had a Junior Suite - spacious, with a sitting area , terrace, dressing room/closet and stylish bathroom with separate shower. For our second room we were given the lovely surprise by room manager Anatollie of an upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite - one of the most beautiful hotel rooms I've ever seen and well worth booking honeymoon or not. The lovely airy suite suite has a huge terrace overlooking the gardens and beach, with table and chairs and a lounging bed, a wonderful white sitting room with flat screen television and a bay window overlooking the gardens with a window seat. Then there's the bedroom - with a bed so comfortable you feel like you're sleeping in a cloud, a huge lovely white bathroom, separate shower and toilet and a dressing area. The housekeeping staff , headed by Niraj were impeccable, discreet and did everything to make the guests comfortable. We would have been quite happy never to leave the room - which was fortunate because there was the edge of a cyclone during the stay - but even this didn't throw the staff . The service - even room service - stayed consistently perfect, which was a miracle given the pressure put on the hotel by the elements. And sitting on the window seat watching the palm trees battered by the storm was mesmerising.
On the sunny days the beach was lovely - one of the best in Mauritius - white sand, with a little island which the kids loved exploring. And the kids club staff and babysitters were unfailingly great.
The food is extremely good - a buffet for easy dining, several other restaurants and bars including the more formal Senses with exquisite Indian food.Our favourite remained Beach Rouge - with delicious contemporary fare - and Cafe Lux - which serves great freshly brewed coffee all day. The New Years Eve buffet was - again - unexpectedly cool for a tropical resort - in a yurt on the sand, with a jazz band, and then a DJ and fireworks at midnight with cushions and lanterns on the beach. And there was classy live entertainment - like Indian dancing every night. We went for the all-inclusive option - which is a very good idea - and adds a bit of a thrill every time a bill comes with the amount given as 0 each time.
There's a really lovely spa - with an outdoor plunge pool. And tennis courts, and diving, and watersports. But the great thing about the Lux is the extra touches - the ice cream stall; a secret pop up bar - like a cupboard with drinks inside - which appears in different places in the resort. And it's well worth arranging a special dinner on the beach or in the grounds. We had ours on the last night in the Gazebo in the middle of the little lake - all lit by candles, with the sounds of the sea and.... frogs. A great end to the trip.
We loved it. The Lux has all the service, comfort and luxury of a posh hotel but none of the stuffiness. And best of all - it's fun.

Room Tip: The Kelly Hoppen Junior Suites are gorgeous - best location in the pond/garden area a little way fr...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Helen F
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Helen F, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and experienced a "complete" holiday. I thank you for the detailed and wonderfully written review. You have mentioned all the various aspects of the resort from the spacious and comfortable rooms, the huge pool, the beautiful landscaping of the gardens in the resort, variety and quality of food and beverage experiences and the various special touches on offer like the Café LUX* and Secret Bar. Our LUX* Junior suites and the Honeymoon suites designed by Kelly Hoppen are indeed special and I am so happy to read that you enjoyed the accommodations and the features associated with the rooms. The resort lays a lot of importance on creating special moments for all of our guests by offering a wide choice of unique experiences and I am glad we stood up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon;

Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you want to have the best hotel service, you surely must visit Lux belle Mare Hotel Mauritius. We stayed here for 12 days. It was our first trip without our children just to relax and to be together. We chose the Lagoon Suite, but when we arived there was a kind of surprise from the hotel. We were presented with the12 days' stay in a wonderful Villa with a lovely swimming Pool and romantic veranda, where we loved to sit in the evening. The quality of the villa's interior is really high and area is really big for two people. The beach was quite nere us, and it is natural and good. So we were really happy that we happened to stay in this lovely calm villa. I have to thank the service manager of the villas Suren and the service men Rau and Chandan for their help and responsiveness. Anytime we needed something they were there helping and giving good advices about everything. The food is really good and they have restaurants to choose, we also had a wonderful dinner on the beach like honeymooners. Every evening guests can listen to the live music. The main aim of the hotel is to make guests' holidays unforgetable with maximum relaxation. And they succeed in that! Next year we surely come again with our children!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rudaevanat
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and thank you for the review. You have mentioned all the various aspects of the resort from the spacious and comfortable villas, the beautiful landscaping, variety and quality of food and beverage experiences and the various service experiences you had with the team here. The resort lays a lot of importance on creating special moments for all of our guests and I am glad we stood up to your expectations. I shall be complimenting Suren, Rau and Chandan whom you have mentioned in your comment. They are truly our STARS and like them all of our team members continually strive to provide unmatched service experiences to all our guests. We hope to see you back soon in the coming year for a family holiday;

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I've never done the all inclusive thing before and I would normally choose an off the beaten track sort of trip, guest houses and eat somewhere different every night sort of thing. This holiday has completely changed my view. The hotel re-defines luxury 5 star resort. Everything was luxurious but un snobby. Amazing service but with out being intrusive. They have a choice of restaurants and even the buffet was incredible.

One food example, having recently eaten at Gaucho and Hawksmoor in London (look them up) I would say that my knowledge on all things 'steak' was pretty high! We ate at Senses - the resorts Indian restaurant - and I was expecting, and would have been happy with, an average steak in a brilliant setting. What I got matched Gaucho and Hawksmoor easily and in a blissful setting, with better service. You would have paid £200+ for that meal no problem but it was ALL INCLUSIVE.

After the meal we trotted off to the beach for some cocktails, as you do, and we where greeted by an impromptu show on the beach with fire poi, fire breathing and dancers with traditional Mauritian music and the host for the night - Mista! Who was the perfect MC for the occasion.

That was one night. ONE NIGHT!

Too many things to mention, the spa was incredible with treatments that I know the missus enjoyed thoroughly and was well priced thankfully. - But it was the staff at the resort that really made it. I would like to mention Deepak, Stephan, Devika, & Rahul. I hope they remember me from this review, read it and I know how greatful we are for everything they did. (I was the one that dj'ed one night after Tommy Smith! )

Thank you again for a lovely time, see you next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a Kelly Hoppen room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Luke S

Dear Luke S, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your beautifully worded review for us. You have highlighted the various features which make our resort special and I thank you for mentioning all these various aspects of the resort. Food is an integral part of a good holiday and we have always strived to provide top notch quality offerings for our guests. Your comment reinforces my belief that we are working in the right direction. We genuinely believe our resort combines the best of all the essential elements to make a beach holiday special. You have listed names of some of our team members who made your stay extra special by their passion and dedication and I thank you for mentioning these STARS of ours. I have personally complimented them post this review. We hope to see you back soon for a yet another wonderful holiday with us;

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I hope that the following review is as informative as possible and will help you to make an educated decision on whether to stay here. I will try to upload as many photos as possible.

Location
========
In terms of location, you are an hour's drive from the Airport which will generally cost you around 3500-4000 MUR (about £80 / $130) but you may be able to haggle this and get a better deal.

For just about 150 MUR (£3 / $5) you can get a taxi to the local shops of Belle Mare, here you can find two shops Genuine Hugo Boss, Genuine Ralph Lauren & Armani upstairs the prices aren't cheap at all if anything they are more expensive than Europe. Directly opposite there are people desperately shouting at you to come and visit their shop we entered one and were told it all items are genuine etc., they are fake just so everyone is aware, avoid the quality is low and it is just typical fake garbage only the Hugo Boss shop & Ralph shop here are real HOWEVER they DO NOT do DEALS all prices are fixed.

Just 5-10 minutes longer in the taxi and you will reach Flaque (not sure how that’s spelt) where you can go to the supermarket and buy foods & drinks especially helpful if you are on a room only package or similar, the prices are similar to Europe in my opinion so not particularly cheap at all.

Currency
========
The hotel shops only seem to accept MUR but you can charge most things to your room which is a handy convenience, I'm not sure if that applies to all guests but certainly Beachfront Villa guests.

Outside of the hotel however most shops accept all currencies, EUR, USD, GBP however your best to use the Exchange place in Belle Mare (they don’t accept credit cards without ID), and exchange your currency for MUR, otherwise most tourists will get ripped off with a rubbish exchange rate. Always use MUR wherever possible. Look at it as approximately £10 = 500 MUR, or 15/16 USD = 500 MUR approximately.

Arrival
=======
So on arrival the hotel looked clean and elegant, we were greeted by smiling friendly staff and asked if we would like to take a seat. They took our documents and provided us with an ice cold flannel (very much needed) and a small cold refreshing drink. In no time at all they gave us our key and one of the porters drove us on the cool little golf buggy like vehicles right to our room.

The Room
========
As soon as we saw our room (A Beachfront Villa). (Beach front villas are the second most expensive property here much more exclusive, luxurious and expensive than Honeymoon Suites etc.. so if you see them advertised at double/triple the price this is normal, a lot of Tour Operators will show pictures of the Beachfront Villa but you will be paying for a superior Honeymoon Suite, they are night and day and not comparable) we were taken back, I think this is one of the best laid out rooms I have ever stayed in. Ample living space, cleverly organised and breath-taking views. From your bed you can see Palm Trees your pool and the Beach & Sea you can also see the same whilst having a bath, truly gorgeous natural panoramas. We had a good sized bath, a powerful invigorating shower inside, and another outside (which makes you feel so close to nature, but I feel people may be able to look down and potentially see you I'm not sure on that though). The garden generally gives you privacy but there are a few areas you could be spotted through shrubs and over walls so it is not completely private, so if you want to do a bit of skinny dipping beware you may be seen lol. Mango trees can be seen everywhere, you have a Veranda like area with sheltered table for sitting at or eating outside. Two sun loungers for when the sun is in your garden which was usually from 9am until 3/4pm when we went in January. You also get a kitchen, with minibar (soft drinks and a few local beers and wine is all included but their water is chargeable strangely) that is restocked every day. As well as the aforementioned you get a large dressing room and a good sized Dining area with table with daily replenished tropical fruits.

The bed and pillows are the most comfortable I have ever slept on and I think I may have to purchase one of their mattresses.

The Shops
=========
There are a few small shops within the resort that you may be able to find some deals in, like Genuine Designer clothes they have offers on, beauty products, small gifts and souvenirs etc. We find for the best part that most things are overpriced, for example ~ £25 / $40 for a small Rag Doll teddy (which we did still buy as they are lovely and seem handmade) but we did get a good deal on some of their special offers on Designer clothes which we got tailored by the on-site tailor within 24 hours for about £20 / $32 for 2 pairs of trousers.

The Food
========

Beach Rouge(12:30pm to 16:00pm and 19:30pm to 22:30pm)
-------------------------------------------------------
For me the best Restaurant was Beach Rouge, it is on the beach so the views are spectacular, you can sit on a high table or a low table and as we were on an All-Inclusive package MOST of the items here were included within our package especially alcoholic drinks. You must try the Pizza's they are stone baked and they let me have as many toppings as I liked, so I literally did. Parma ham, cooked ham, spicy salami, pineapple, mushroom, chilli (not too hot) & sundried tomatoes, probably the tastiest pizza I've ever tasted. I also had fillet steak for lunch as part of my all inclusive package (which I was overly pleased about). They did introduce a new menu whilst we were there that comprised of Tapas dishes (that I would expect to be included but were not included in the AIP - All Inclusive Package), Lobster around 1800 MUR (£36 / $57) (it was reasonably good quality), 1Kg Rib of Wagyu Black Angus Beef (if I remember rightly around 9000MUR (£180 / $288)) admittedly it was for 2 people but in my opinion extremely overpriced but extremely tasty.

I did have two issues here, the first small issue was that we got there at 15:30 one day (closes at 16:00) we were seated and obviously forgotten about as nobody came to see us for about 15 minutes, we were finally served and everything was fine when we spoke to a smiley Pascal :)

Another time I asked for Chocolate milk which they didn’t have so they suggested Hot Chocolate, I said yeah no problem, they forgot about this entirely and I had to remind them and just said don't worry I'll have a diet coke instead.

The last issue we had there was when we arrived at 15:30 again, we said can we have a table for two the woman who whenever we saw her was never smiling unlike all the other staff, looked at her watch and said sorry we don't take orders after 15:30. It was later confirmed that the woman was in the wrong and the Manager who I spoke to about the other issues mentioned in this review, arranged for me to have a Fillet steak cooked anyway at the bar. The first steak came out over cooked so they took it back and cooked me another one which was fine. Then the Food & Beverage Manager came over and told us this was not how they usually conduct their business, apologised and ensured that she would be spoken to and that this mistake would not happen again, that a business was only as strong as its weakest link.

East (7:30pm to 10:30pm)
------------------------
Second best restaurant was East they offer different cuisines mainly Asian such as Japanese, Chinese and Thai if I remember rightly, the food here was mostly good. I tried their lobster set menu (Not included in AIP which was 2500MUR £50 / $80 each person if you had AIP or around 3800MUR £76 / $120 if not)

Senses (7:30pm to 10:30pm)
--------------------------
Third best but surprisingly it isn't part of any AIP package (it's completely chargeable) was Senses, their new flagship restaurant. For some reason you have to pay for this regardless, the food was reasonably good it is mainly Indian / Indian Ocean cuisine. I had a Lamb Curry which tasted too salty. The naan bread and poppadums’ were really tasty as were the Chutneys.

I did have a private discussion with the Manager about the fact Senses is not included in AIP, I felt that considering the price I had paid for everything and the fact I paid for All Inclusive, that I felt this should be included. He agreed and he said that he was disappointed he had not thought of it early and that going forward all guests that are in Beachfront Villas (one of the most expensive accommodations’ there) should get Senses included apart from their Lobster Menu. So I hope he sticks to his promise. He was kind, polite, professional and sympathetic. He seemed genuine enough and expressed his sincere apologies that I felt let down. I did however, inform him apart from these minor issues almost everything else about our honeymoon stay was perfect.

The Kitchen (7:00am to 10:00am / 7pm to 10:30pm)
------------------------------------------------
The only location where you can have breakfast you have Cold Cuts of meat (the serrano ham is lovely) such as ham, and different cheeses. Cereals, Freshly made waffles & toast with Beautiful homemade preserves, different baguettes and pastries all of which were lovely. Freshly cooked eggs or omelettes. Fresh juices which were all lovely. Fresh Chocolate milk, Full Milk, Skimmed milk available at a little Drinks Bar as well as fresh fruit and other cooked items. Mainly aimed at the European Market they did however have bacon which although not like British bacon was still very tasty, sausages again different but lovely, and mushrooms (which are always sautéed which I'm not fond of but still ate and they weren't too bad).

The Resort
==========
The resort is immaculately kept, everything is clean, and they have a plethora of staff constantly making the place look wonderful even down to the finest detail. Palm Trees/Mango Trees everywhere, no matter where you go any picture you take will look picturesque as the resort is just beautiful one of the most beautiful Resorts I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. No matter where you go you will be greeted Good Morning / Afternoon etc. by Staff who appear to genuinely enjoy their job

The Spa
=======
HUGELY OVERPRICED Off the top of my head figures are like £100 (5000MUR) + for a massage which compared to many places in Europe or outside of Europe i.e. Thailand is very expensive. I'd expect in a place like Mauritius for these things to be reasonably cheap as I am sure the staff are getting paid peanuts. They will always try to sell you products afterwards that you probably won't need but still might like. It's not necessarily a hard sell but they will tell you that you should use. They told my wife she had bad cellulite on her legs and to use the Cellulite cream as it will help (everybody knows nothing will get rid of cellulite, and that only Liposuction will have any permanent effect) I was still having treatments done when my wife was convinced to buy this cream lol she spent about £40 / 2000MUR on creams she really didn't need. They told me I needed to use some Fruit Enzyme every day for my sunburn. I will add however the Lux products such as shampoo and body wash, which were provided in our room complimentarily were lovely. The Spa has a lovely swimming pool with Jacuzzi which is outdoors so be carefully and make sure you put plenty of waterproof sun cream on first as you can easily get burnt here if you aren't thinking. It has a lovely Steam Room (Hammam I think it’s called) & a lovely Sauna as well as an Ice Cold splash pool (I dived in once or twice it was exhilarating)

The small Asian/Thai looking girls done a great Scrub and Energising massage on us it was both invigorating and relaxing me and my wife both had our massage in the same double room. However disappointingly the Indian/Mauritian looking women didn’t do a great massage on either me or my wife. Not enough pressure (they didn’t even ask me if the pressure was okay) and they didn’t ask what type of scrub I wanted, coconut, sugar etc. So the first experience of the spa (apart from cost) was good, but the second not so good. So from my perspective the service is inconsistent
The Pool
========
A multi-level pool perfect for children which huge shallow areas and dividing tiled areas so you can sunbathe and lay down in the pool. It overlooks the sea and the Resort grounds no complaints here one of the best hotel pools I've seen!

Ice Cream & Phones
==================
There is an Ice-Cream bar, I believe 1 or 2 scoops of Ice cream each time you go up is free per person, it's homemade and you get lovely flavours such as Blueberry Cheesecake (when you ask what flavour they say Mascarpone, you say oh it has fruit, they say yes, you say which fruit, they say blueberry, so you say oh it's Blueberry Cheesecake flavour instead of just saying that in the first place lol, but funny nevertheless), Malaga (which is rum and raisin, Melon, Strawberry (sorbet), Mango (sorbet), Nutella (my favourite), Vanilla, Coconut, Pineapple Chilli (has a kick if you like spicy things), Tutti Frutti (called something else), Chocolate and Toffee/Caramel. All of these were nice refreshing and if you go there at the right time they will put it in a Home Made hot Waffle Cone. They also do crepes here & frozen fruit / vegetable ice lollies for those concerned with your health lol. The lovely lady offered us fresh Coconuts which she opened up and put a straw in for each of us, so we got to try fresh Coconut Water which was lovely.

They have a red telephone box which you can use to make free calls home (other reviewers said you can call mobiles but we were told mobiles are not included), connection quality was fine, speakerphone didn't work so well.

WIFI / Internet
===============
The WIFI here is terrible. Constant connection problems. Awful if you need to run a business I found that it dropped at least once or twice every 5-10 minutes which was disappointing as we skyped home to our children and it just kept disconnecting. The Internet speed is relatively slow. This is something that needs to be massively worked on as an urgency their internet is simply unacceptable. We live in a digital age where high speed internet is a complete necessity.

The Staff & Butlers
====================
The manager when I spoke to him about the issues I faced was courteous, professional polite and very eager to make a quick resolution. I respected and appreciated this as in my opinion you see how great a place is not by how it operates when things go well but how they respond when things aren't going well. He just seemed keen to make us as happy as possible which was nice.

The Butlers especially Rao is one of the best guys, he was always there to take your breakfast, lunch or dinner order, to replace the fruit, to change your bedding, turn down your bedding, replace your fruits, bring your room service orders, take you to the restaurant on the golf cart, and literally anything else. Friendly, professional, a sense of humour. He was great and was always there at our beck and call literally a phone call away. Never intrusive just available for whenever and whatever we needed him for.

All of the staff in general speak fantastic English and always greet you whenever you see them so you will not have a problem communicating with them.

The great thing about this resort is how personal it is especially the staff, they will always try to remember your names and surnames and greet you by them. Whenever we walked around they would say Good Afternoon Mr Kirkby / Mrs Kirkby, how is your stay, how has your time been etc. They will have a conversation with you and genuinely seem interested in ensuring you have a wonderful time. One of the guys saw I had a camera and said let me take some pictures of you both.

I cannot stress enough how nice the people are here, some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The Beach
=========
I believe it’s the best Beach in Mauritius, white sands, crystal clear sea which was like a hot bath in the middle of January, truly amazing, spectacular and always raked and well kept. We were able to have breakfast in the sea, and Dinner on the beach near the sea and both were lovely to have such views while eating a meal are spectacular. There's a guy there that's not part of the hotel called Vikki, who will take you on a boat trip for around £50 - £55gbp each. He was difficult to talk to but made you feel calm, confident and relaxed, he helped me overcome my fear of snorkelling, took as around the island, was very informative showed us other hotels, and took us to a calm spot where we done some snorkelling and saw the reef and tropical fish beneath us, this was fantastic. When we took a little tour it was quite clear this hotel has the best beach. At night-time they often do dancing, they play drums, musical instruments, they have big lanterns there, they have Movies playing on a large screen, and they have Cocktail night on a Tuesday where Wall Art is also sold. It's just amazing.

Excursions & Taxi
=================
You can arrange through the hotel. If you get a hotel taxi (Limo they call it) it has Wi-Fi in the taxi which is a great Perk however the hotel Taxi service was more expensive than ordering a taxi. However the car was a more luxury 4x4 and the driver was one of the nicest blokes I met.

Children
========
If you have children this place is so Child Friendly it's unbelievable the staff often hold the children's hands and walk with them, you can always see staff keeping an eye on the children and helping to look after them. The kids club looks fantastic and there seems so much for children to do, the children will love the pool and they will definitely love this resort.

Other Guests
============
Most of the guests seem French of Germany it seems like there are barely any English guests here I think this is probably usually the case but maybe it might just be the time of year.

=====
I wouldn't say it was tremendous value however according to the Villa Manager it is cheaper than Four Seasons for example (but everyone knows how overpriced Four Seasons is anyway). I have not stayed in any other Mauritian hotels to compare but it just didn't feel great value for money. We paid a lot and I feel we should of been given a lot more for our money especially on a honeymoon package.

It seems they take your money and they try to get more back through supplement charges (room service supplement, beach dinner/breakfast set up charges, restaurant supplement charges) with the price you pay for the top accommodations’, I think they should include more food and give you greater discounts if anything. I think if you are on a honeymoon a free massage should be given as a bare minimum and I think all guests should get some complimentary treatment as a way of the hotel saying thanks for your business.

In my case the Villa manager gave me great deal in the end, he deducted many costs and I appreciated that he gave me an overall saving on my stay. He said he will do me a great deal on a future stay and I hope that he sticks to his promise. I would love to bring my children here as I think they would love it.

If you have any issues on your stay don't hesitate to ask to speak to a manager as they will always be quick to find a resolution. If you don't tell them then they can't improve and I hope that the issues I had and made them aware of will help them to become a better hotel.

Conclusion
==========
Conclusively even though there were a few niggles it is still the best Resort I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. The pictures I took look like something you would find in a Magazine, the staff are always friendly and helpful and informative (they all have great knowledge, for the first time ever If I had a question I just asked the nearest member of staff whether it be Geography, History anything rather than using Google!), it’s in a great location, it's clean and it just exudes luxury. Everybody makes you feel at home, welcome and like royalty. I would not hesitate to recommend this to friends or family. We only stayed for a week and if we had our kids with us we would have definitely extended. This holiday has enlightened me, it has refreshed and enriched my mind, body and soul and I feel that I have become a better person overall now from absorbing so much of their positivity. Nothing is too much to ask for them! If you can afford it book now because you will never go to anywhere in the world quite like this tropical paradise.

Room Tip: Beach Front Villas are probably the best room you can get here but there are only two. Always ask...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Christopher K

Dear Christopher K, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your beautifully worded review for us. You have highlighted the various features which make our resort special and I thank you for mentioning all these various aspects of the resort. We genuinely believe our resort combines the best of all the essential elements to make a beach holiday special and with the experiences like Phone Home mentioned by you add an additional special feel to the holiday. I have taken on board your verbal feedback shared with me during your stay and the other points mentioned by you and like promised during our meeting, I will be working on these. The team and I have resolved the issues listed by you pertaining to Beach Rouge and I am happy to inform you that the WIFI speed issue in the villas is being completely resolved by the end of this month. We understand that the criticality of WIFI in today's times and we have been enhancing the speed and the related bandwidth area per area in the resort. The areas towards the villas are being addressed in the coming week. You have listed names of some of our team members who made your stay extra special by their passion and dedication and I thank you for mentioning these STARS of ours. I have personally complimented them post this review. We hope to see you back soon for a yet another wonderful holiday with us;

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belle Mare
#1 of 7 in Grand Gaube
The Residence Mauritius
The Residence Mauritius
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!