“Unfortunate incident spoiled our holiday”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
“Unfortunate incident spoiled our holiday”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Ok - we visited lux belle mare in May 2014 for a family holiday and have taken a long time to think about what to write as I want to be as balanced as possible. So please read ALL my review.

Negatives first - from the title of my review you can see we had an incident which spoiled the holiday - I had bought some expensive face cream in duty free on our way to mauritius and I am afraid it was stolen from our room on about 5th day of our holiday. It was brand new and unopened so easy to take/sell on. This is the only holiday I have ever had something stolen from my room and it really shocked us that it would happen in a 5 star resort. However - the staff were very good at dealing with it - Anwar the security manager was very thorough in keeping us updated with their investigations, why this may have happened and what they were doing to ensure it didn't happen again and took the cost of our cream off our hotel bill. He took it as seriously as I would expect and did all he could. So I was impressed with this professionalism. But it did leave a dent in our impression of the hotel and therefore a big reason why I can only give it 3 stars rating here.

The children's club was also a bit disappointing. My children aged 7 and 9 are inquisitive and the programme we were given for the children's club seemed varied and ideal for them. However several of the activities they wanted to do didn't happen or we're not up to expectations. The staff at the club were lovely but shame my children got bored.

Staff - were generally good but a few of the waiters/waitresses in the Kitchen (main restaurant) were a bit brusque and not smiley. Cafe lux staff seemed the best trained and friendliest. Those around the pool and beach weren't very helpful -we regularly had to go to them to get towels or ask if we could move sunbeds. They didn't really seem to want to take drink orders and I think they should serve light snacks too.

Food - we did experience all the restaurants except for Senses - have to say the service in all wasn't consistently 5 star. We had to wait a very long time in cafe rouge one night for a set menu!! The staff in East were the best but once again felt we waited too long for our meals to be served.

Positives - the room we had was a great size - very adequate for a family of 4 - it looked over the gazebo which meant we were further away from the noise of the evening entertainment which was very loud. If you want peace I would pick a room on that side. It was very clean and well kept.

Spa was very relaxing - beautifully done and wished I could have spent more time there! The treatments I had were excellent.

The location is beautiful. The beach lovely and wonderful to relax while kids played in the sand. They found so many creatures around. And loved trying to catch the fish! The included water activities were very good and great to do something different from lying by pool or beach. The little touches made a big difference - free international calls, great coffee, lovely hotel shop (manageress was very helpful), fresh flower in our room, tasty ice cream.

Overall it was a great hotel but having something stolen from your room really brings it down. I know this maybe a ' rare' occurrence and they did all they could to mitigate the problem but it did happen and this is an honest review.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Crane75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Lux Belle Mare 19 - 24 May 2014. We arrived to a warm welcome and fruit kebabs and juice. We had pre- arranged an early check in, after completing check - in formalities were taken to our Lux suite room, ground floor, with patio in between the koi pond and quiet beach. The room is light, bright and recently renovated. Bathroom separate loo, bath and huge walk in rain shower. Top quality toiletries provided and replenished as required. This has to be the most comfortable bed. Additional pillows were supplied (extra soft) for my husband who fractured his humerus 10 days before our holiday. The room is spacious, king sized bed, couch, easy chair, desk complete with ipad (daily programmes, restaurants, menus, reservations for restaurants weather, flight information etc) Two fridges, one mini bar and one for your own refreshments, selection of teas and freshly ground cover for the coffee plunger. The room opened onto a beautiful garden, below the koi pond and above the quiet beach, absolutely blissful.

We went on an orientation tour of the hotel and the show you the facilities of hotel, the restaurants and what is included in your package. We went HB as it was the best deal at the time for us. If you go AI , coffees, ice creams, drinks are included.

We were invited to go into the coffee beanery. A real treat, they roast all the beans and supply other hotels. The ground coffee in the room is prepared here. The coffees are world class , freshly roasted., delicious blend and taste delicious. The baristas really know their coffees. The coffee bar is Café Lux , the clock says 4 o'clock - always coffee time!

The first night we ate in The Kitchen. Delicious food and many choices. Breakfast is also served here. Freshly squeezed fruit juices and smoothies, huge selection of fruits, yoghourts, cereals, homemade granola, cooked breakfasts. Don't forget to have a delicious specially prepared cappuccino, my favourite.

We had two delicious evening meals at Beach Rouge, Mediterranean food. Many options for HB, including starter, main and desert. The waiters were attentive and informed, food was well prepared, good presentation, excellent taste. We had one evening meal at East. Food was delicious but slow service. The last evening we ate in The Kitchen. It was slightly chaotic. A table of 4 adults allowed their children to run madly around, standing on the table and chairs while 2 waiters tried to keep them in check. Not a blink from the adults!

This is truly a beautiful beach. I have truly fallen in love with Belle Mare. Another favourite place in Mauritius. We sat on the "quiet" beach. Peaceful and tranquil with the beautiful turquoise water of the sheltered lagoon. I swam in the warm water and went snorkelling beyond the reef on a boat. The visibility was excellent and saw many varieties of fish. Only after staying at Belle Mare do I appreciate the place, always staying North, West and South West in previous visits. It can get windy but the quiet beach is sheltered. We went on our usual walks, sunrise, sunset, with some perfect moments with beautiful cloud formations.

We walked to the local village of Belle Mare, 10 - 15 minutes walk past Residence Hotel, turn left before the local beach. There is a small shop for supplies, chips, cokes, sprites (MR30) beer Phoenix or Blue Marlin, also a Green Cross Pharmacy and small branch of Shibani Exchange. We also walked to very interesting Hindu Temple on the beach. On the way back we came upon the Monument erected by South African Airways in memory of the passengers and crew of ZS-SAS Helderberg who lost their lives when the aircraft crashed NE of Mauritius 28 November 1987. Very sad times.

The walk in the opposite direction is also beautiful, windier, good for kite surfing. There were also a lot of local fisherman out in boats.

There were not many children at the hotel. The few on the beach during the day would play for hours happily building sand castles and swimming.
I had Balinese massage at the Spa and is highly recommended. You can also use the facilities of the Spa, sauna, steam room, plunge pool and Jacuzzi.

I must mention the staff. Always friendly from housekeeping, waiters, boat house, beach staff, special mention goes to Raj Reedoy, extremely friendly and helpful from our arrival to departure.

The hotel has many special extras. The free phone home red phone booth, special ice creams, pop up bars, cocktail evening to meet the staff and much more. The highlight of our holiday had to be the Photo Shoot. It turned out to be a 2 hour Photo Shoot with Joseph and his great team from Clique Photography. We had never done this before and it turned out to be such fun, no costume changes or make up, just perfect lighting and photography. Thank you for the picture perfect memories of beautiful Belle Mare.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor Lux suite between the Koi pond and the "quiet" beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JinksZA
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are really speechless, we don't really know how to express ourselves the hotel is amazing and the staff are the best we ever experienced they are genuine, attentive to details, super friendly. The food in the kitchen, the beach rouge, senses and east is in one word delicious. The rooms are so clean and well groomed. the villas as we had the chance to experience the luxury villa for one night with compliment of a romantic dinner and a bottle of wine..are amazing. We wanna thank all the staff starting from Mr Suren , Stefen from the beach rouge, Jetty from the reception, Khem, Okhan, Kumar who take extra care of us when we were in the villa., Antoine the resident manager, ............. Lux bel mare is the best place for holidays you will really be pampered
And spoiled by its staff.

Room Tip: The villa "La Mer"
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mehdi-Laino
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was in Mauritius for 4 days for my honeymoon and stayed at the Lux Belle Mare...it wasnt an ordinary stay....it was an experience...I stayed in the junior suite with the patio opening and facing the sea....the property is very well looked after and the staff is quite hospitable...I dont think there is a need to go out of the resort at any time...the place is very relaxing and maintains a very pure white theme...which also exhibits elegance....I am really glad I made this choice...they also offer free international calls; which meant that we were never far away from home....the meals were quite good and the bars equally good...I wish my holiday never ended....Thank you Lux for making this occasion memorable for me and my wife....all the best and keep up the good work...!!

Room Tip: while booking...pls ask for a junior suite room on the ground floor facing/opening to the sea...:)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rusty172
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Well we don't know from where to start and where to end because this place offers you so very much that you feel wow everyday... We were on our honeymoon trip from 17th to 23rd may 2014 and the least we can say is that the hospitality of Lux belle mare is amazing.....the property is undoubtedly one of the best but one thing which makes this place the best is the staffs out there and their willingness to serve the customer... You wish for anything and they get it for you...

I must acknowledge few names here and must say that without them and their services our trip would have been incomplete:

Mr. Vick @ Beach Rouge: thanks a ton Vick for offering such nice food and drinks.. On both the occasions of the visit to Beach Rouge you blew our mind by offering tailor made food...we were soo very much obliged and overwhelmed with your gesture.... Thanks for being there and continue the great work.... And we will never forget the wonderful departure drink offered by u.. (we will upload the pic with you.... Must watch)

Mr. Rupesh @ The Senses: we were there in The senses restaurant for our Romantic dinner we must admit that without Rupesh's services our dinner would have been incomplete....he did his best to make our evening Wonderful.. Continue serving with your never ending smile Rupesh you have a long way to go.... Thanks a ton for being there making us realise the real meaning of the word called as "HOSPITALITY".

Ravin and Dave was so superb that they were practically speaking to all the guests about there food choices and the overall experience with Lux services, taking care of all the visitors and making them comfortable.... Continue the great work..... I must also acknowledge Gopee at concierge and Jyoti was very helpful.....

Words are just too less to appreciate LUX n it's staff....Finally summing up with A BIG THANKS TO LUX FOR THIS WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE AND THE ENTIRE TEAM OF LUX IS BEST AT THEIR SERVICES.... WE HAVE KNOWN "HOSPITALITY" BECAUSE OF "LUX BELLE MARE"

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JyotsnaAlok
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is one of the best resorts we have been to -
Gorgeous setting, luxury rooms, friendly staff & great food.
Every last detail was catered for and from the moment we arrived the staff were 100% attentive.
Our room was lovely, very clean with a large bathroom and walk in wardrobe. Mini bar fully stock (with a bottle of gin and a bottle of rum and mixers).
We did not eat at the buffet however the restaurants were fantastic, all the food was hot tasty so we didn't mind paying the supplements.
The bar staff were very friendly and kept us topped up with mojitos.
Evening entertainment was good - fire shows and stargazing were our favourites. The hotel offers a number of excursions - we did the catamaran trip which was a really good day out.
Overall a fantastic holiday - I would not hesitate to recommend this place to friends and I am sure we will return.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor just by the pool - makes for a quick retreat from the afternoon th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LittleFish2013
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Lux is a fantastic place to be for holidays in Mauritius. ...the staff , the ambience, good. Both veg n non veg is super...the dtafg at The Bar...mr Vijaye Beekharry;mr Vishal Seesaha selva..n the team is very cooperative. ..n mr kris in The Kitchen is very caringn ccooperative. ..God bless them. .n v would to vome here again in future too.

• Stayed June 2014
#3 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!