“LUX Belle Mare Defines Luxury Customer Service”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed 18 June 2014

From the staff member that met us at the airport to the staff member that waited on us by the pool it was obvious that LUX Belle Mare trains on and expects that their team provide world class customer service. In addition, the beauty of the island, the rooms and the resort provided an incredible backdrop from my wife and I to relax on this vacation. I am a RAVING fan!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suites are awesome. Villa's are a must if you want complete privacy.
1  Thank Chris G
Write a ReviewReviews (5,639)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our visit at LUX Belle Mare was "extraordinary." Specifically, the level of service from all team members was WONDERFUL. So many people knew our names, everyone smiled, creativity among the team members was inspiring and "extra-mile" service was the norm. I remember one day, Dave, our breakfast waiter, bringing me a glass of water without me asking as he knew I enjoyed that with a hot breakfast. The General Manager, Ashish, proactively opened the door when I had both hands full. The people made the experience!

Resort was BEAUTIFUL, food incredible and the rooms elegant! Thank you!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite - beautiful, private and spacious!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jason G
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Heaven, as Mark Twain would have it, is modelled on Mauritius, he would have loved the Belle Mare!
The best thing that a hotel can have is bright, friendly and enthusiastic staff which can influence the whole holiday for the visitor and Ambre staff are all those things and more!
Everyone smiles and does their best to help make your holiday perfect.
The room and the bed have to be good too of course and we had a lovely quiet room towards the end of the beach with a view across the gardens to the sea. The waiting staff remembered my room number better than me and I still can't recall it! I emailed when I booked to ask for a quiet room and had a couple of emails back reassuring me which was good. Great big comfy bed, changed everyday and the room was always cleaned beautifully. It's great to have the minibar restocked daily but maybe a bottle of wine could fit in too? My husband didn't like the vanilla tea but asked for English Breakfast Tea and Puttee the F & B manager arranged for some for our room, thank you to him. We usually take T bags but just forgot this time. Vanilla is big in Mauritius so expect it flavour lots of things!
Of course food is of great importance and we couldn't fault it. We liked to eat breakfast and dinner on the decking outside the Indigo restaurant and the lovely waiting staff always found us a table. Many thanks to Wendy, Sooren and Alex for their great service. There was every taste catered for in the buffet from dahl to roast meats and fish and every kind of vegetable. I loved the smoked marlin, sadly they don't sell it in tesco! I don't eat sweet desserts but they looked fab. I must have eaten my body weight in fresh pineapple though!!
To complement the food you have to have good wine and the Ambre had the best AI drinks menu I've ever come across. The wines are South African and excellent. There are more fab looking cocktails than you can drink in a fortnight and, according to my husband, the beer is great. Prem who has been a beach waiter for 21 years looked after us very well and also Jay, thanks.
I couldn't fault Amelle the rep, she was lovely, jolly, smiling and kind. When I was unwell she arranged for me to see Caroline the nurse who was professional and kind too.
We went on the Thomson catarmaran trip which was brilliant. There's time to walk through the trees on the island and sit on a perfect chair shaped log and gaze towards Australia, and to swim or wade across a channel to a more deserted area. Beware of sea urchins though and wear beach shoes!! The Captain is very capable of de-spineing on the boat but our fellow traveller needed a tot of rum for the removal! The lunch and drinks, good company, sights and the sailing were fabulous!
We also went on the Thomson trip to the Pamplmousse gardens and a sugar factory. Out guide, Kitten, was very lovely, informative and intelligent and fun! We cut sugar cane, made a cocktail and had an amazing lunch. The best bit was seeing the Amazonian water lilies!
I wasn't very well while we were on holiday but if you're going to be unwell you might as well be in paradise and we were. Thank you Ambre Hotel, looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but if you would like a sea view then ask in advance.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Absolute paradise amazing hotel amazing staff will be comming back again the beach was great tup use bean bags to sun tan you won't regret
Food at beach rouge and east better then most Michelin stared restaurant (I've been to quite a few )

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Ok - we visited lux belle mare in May 2014 for a family holiday and have taken a long time to think about what to write as I want to be as balanced as possible. So please read ALL my review.

Negatives first - from the title of my review you can see we had an incident which spoiled the holiday - I had bought some expensive face cream in duty free on our way to mauritius and I am afraid it was stolen from our room on about 5th day of our holiday. It was brand new and unopened so easy to take/sell on. This is the only holiday I have ever had something stolen from my room and it really shocked us that it would happen in a 5 star resort. However - the staff were very good at dealing with it - Anwar the security manager was very thorough in keeping us updated with their investigations, why this may have happened and what they were doing to ensure it didn't happen again and took the cost of our cream off our hotel bill. He took it as seriously as I would expect and did all he could. So I was impressed with this professionalism. But it did leave a dent in our impression of the hotel and therefore a big reason why I can only give it 3 stars rating here.

The children's club was also a bit disappointing. My children aged 7 and 9 are inquisitive and the programme we were given for the children's club seemed varied and ideal for them. However several of the activities they wanted to do didn't happen or we're not up to expectations. The staff at the club were lovely but shame my children got bored.

Staff - were generally good but a few of the waiters/waitresses in the Kitchen (main restaurant) were a bit brusque and not smiley. Cafe lux staff seemed the best trained and friendliest. Those around the pool and beach weren't very helpful -we regularly had to go to them to get towels or ask if we could move sunbeds. They didn't really seem to want to take drink orders and I think they should serve light snacks too.

Food - we did experience all the restaurants except for Senses - have to say the service in all wasn't consistently 5 star. We had to wait a very long time in cafe rouge one night for a set menu!! The staff in East were the best but once again felt we waited too long for our meals to be served.

Positives - the room we had was a great size - very adequate for a family of 4 - it looked over the gazebo which meant we were further away from the noise of the evening entertainment which was very loud. If you want peace I would pick a room on that side. It was very clean and well kept.

Spa was very relaxing - beautifully done and wished I could have spent more time there! The treatments I had were excellent.

The location is beautiful. The beach lovely and wonderful to relax while kids played in the sand. They found so many creatures around. And loved trying to catch the fish! The included water activities were very good and great to do something different from lying by pool or beach. The little touches made a big difference - free international calls, great coffee, lovely hotel shop (manageress was very helpful), fresh flower in our room, tasty ice cream.

Overall it was a great hotel but having something stolen from your room really brings it down. I know this maybe a ' rare' occurrence and they did all they could to mitigate the problem but it did happen and this is an honest review.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Crane75
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Lux Belle Mare 19 - 24 May 2014. We arrived to a warm welcome and fruit kebabs and juice. We had pre- arranged an early check in, after completing check - in formalities were taken to our Lux suite room, ground floor, with patio in between the koi pond and quiet beach. The room is light, bright and recently renovated. Bathroom separate loo, bath and huge walk in rain shower. Top quality toiletries provided and replenished as required. This has to be the most comfortable bed. Additional pillows were supplied (extra soft) for my husband who fractured his humerus 10 days before our holiday. The room is spacious, king sized bed, couch, easy chair, desk complete with ipad (daily programmes, restaurants, menus, reservations for restaurants weather, flight information etc) Two fridges, one mini bar and one for your own refreshments, selection of teas and freshly ground cover for the coffee plunger. The room opened onto a beautiful garden, below the koi pond and above the quiet beach, absolutely blissful.

We went on an orientation tour of the hotel and the show you the facilities of hotel, the restaurants and what is included in your package. We went HB as it was the best deal at the time for us. If you go AI , coffees, ice creams, drinks are included.

We were invited to go into the coffee beanery. A real treat, they roast all the beans and supply other hotels. The ground coffee in the room is prepared here. The coffees are world class , freshly roasted., delicious blend and taste delicious. The baristas really know their coffees. The coffee bar is Café Lux , the clock says 4 o'clock - always coffee time!

The first night we ate in The Kitchen. Delicious food and many choices. Breakfast is also served here. Freshly squeezed fruit juices and smoothies, huge selection of fruits, yoghourts, cereals, homemade granola, cooked breakfasts. Don't forget to have a delicious specially prepared cappuccino, my favourite.

We had two delicious evening meals at Beach Rouge, Mediterranean food. Many options for HB, including starter, main and desert. The waiters were attentive and informed, food was well prepared, good presentation, excellent taste. We had one evening meal at East. Food was delicious but slow service. The last evening we ate in The Kitchen. It was slightly chaotic. A table of 4 adults allowed their children to run madly around, standing on the table and chairs while 2 waiters tried to keep them in check. Not a blink from the adults!

This is truly a beautiful beach. I have truly fallen in love with Belle Mare. Another favourite place in Mauritius. We sat on the "quiet" beach. Peaceful and tranquil with the beautiful turquoise water of the sheltered lagoon. I swam in the warm water and went snorkelling beyond the reef on a boat. The visibility was excellent and saw many varieties of fish. Only after staying at Belle Mare do I appreciate the place, always staying North, West and South West in previous visits. It can get windy but the quiet beach is sheltered. We went on our usual walks, sunrise, sunset, with some perfect moments with beautiful cloud formations.

We walked to the local village of Belle Mare, 10 - 15 minutes walk past Residence Hotel, turn left before the local beach. There is a small shop for supplies, chips, cokes, sprites (MR30) beer Phoenix or Blue Marlin, also a Green Cross Pharmacy and small branch of Shibani Exchange. We also walked to very interesting Hindu Temple on the beach. On the way back we came upon the Monument erected by South African Airways in memory of the passengers and crew of ZS-SAS Helderberg who lost their lives when the aircraft crashed NE of Mauritius 28 November 1987. Very sad times.

The walk in the opposite direction is also beautiful, windier, good for kite surfing. There were also a lot of local fisherman out in boats.

There were not many children at the hotel. The few on the beach during the day would play for hours happily building sand castles and swimming.
I had Balinese massage at the Spa and is highly recommended. You can also use the facilities of the Spa, sauna, steam room, plunge pool and Jacuzzi.

I must mention the staff. Always friendly from housekeeping, waiters, boat house, beach staff, special mention goes to Raj Reedoy, extremely friendly and helpful from our arrival to departure.

The hotel has many special extras. The free phone home red phone booth, special ice creams, pop up bars, cocktail evening to meet the staff and much more. The highlight of our holiday had to be the Photo Shoot. It turned out to be a 2 hour Photo Shoot with Joseph and his great team from Clique Photography. We had never done this before and it turned out to be such fun, no costume changes or make up, just perfect lighting and photography. Thank you for the picture perfect memories of beautiful Belle Mare.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor Lux suite between the Koi pond and the "quiet" beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JinksZA
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are really speechless, we don't really know how to express ourselves the hotel is amazing and the staff are the best we ever experienced they are genuine, attentive to details, super friendly. The food in the kitchen, the beach rouge, senses and east is in one word delicious. The rooms are so clean and well groomed. the villas as we had the chance to experience the luxury villa for one night with compliment of a romantic dinner and a bottle of wine..are amazing. We wanna thank all the staff starting from Mr Suren , Stefen from the beach rouge, Jetty from the reception, Khem, Okhan, Kumar who take extra care of us when we were in the villa., Antoine the resident manager, ............. Lux bel mare is the best place for holidays you will really be pampered
And spoiled by its staff.

Room Tip: The villa "La Mer"
1  Thank Mehdi-Laino
#1 of 7 in Grand Gaube
The Residence Mauritius
The Residence Mauritius
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!