6,334 results
All reviewsduck laundryfood truckcoffee barrum shackmixe restauranttea houseashish modakrolls roycekelly hoppenmessage in a bottlebeach rouge restaurantice cream parlouramari by vineetour honeymoonevents managerspecial thanksjunior suite
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed all inclusive during the first 2 weeks of june. We are a family of 4 so we had the interconnecting family room which was fantastic as we had two of everything so no waiting for the shower etc & double the contents of the mini bars, ipads etc. I wasn’t too worried about what décor we were given but it turned out we had the newer updated style rooms. The beach is cleaned continuously throughout the day to clear the seaweed & the gardens are also very well maintained. We found the secret wardrobe a few times but were not lucky enough to discover the message in a bottle. The rooms are kept very clean & the toiletries smell lovely. There is a clothing/gift shop onsite plus another selling beach items. A jewellers is also there but we never went in it. Opposite the jewellers is the office that has the main box for adding tips on the wall just inside the door. We added to this but we also tipped our favourite staff directly. Tipping is not compulsory & the staff certainly do not hang around waiting for one like they do in some countries.

Firstly apart from being a beautiful hotel in beautiful surroundings all of which are kept very clean I must compliment the staff who really made our holiday so much more special. I know everyone has mentioned the staff but it would be a crime to not also add my comments as they really are fantastic and a credit to Lux Belle Mare. The general manager Ashish Modak is regularly seen around the hotel and very approachable which is excellent. There is also Antoine who is around all the time checking if you are enjoying your stay & the food & he runs a tight ship all of which adds to the smooth running of the hotel. There are several members of staff I would like to personally mention & they are Akshar & Vishal, thank you for the drinks around the pool & even cleaning our sunglasses. Vijay at The Bar, Krishen in the Kitchen, Vick in Beach Rouge, Pooja & Fabrice from café lux for all the coffee & the roasting demonstration. Jennifer from events for organising a surprise breakfast for my daughters 21st birthday on the beach & last but not least the best one of all Sailesh from café lux. The designs he makes on the coffee are fantastic & he takes his time to explain the different coffees & characteristics. Not only that but he is a very friendly, polite young man with a good sense of humour & we all miss his coffees.

The entire area has a feeling of serenity about it & everything is so calm & nothing is too much trouble. Staff go out of their way to ensure you have a great holiday & seem to appear by magic to lay the towels out on your sunbeds, move them for you when the sun moves round & make your holiday an enjoyable experience. We never had a problem getting sunbeds for all 4 of us but I can see it being more difficult in peak season and sadly you still get the selfish people who reserve beds around the pool but then spend the day on the beach but I am glad to say I did see towels getting removed on more then one occasion.

I must say the food is very good from the extensive breakfast buffet which includes various types of breads, pastries, muffins, cereals, items for both continental & full English breakfasts, fresh fruit, several different juices, hard boiled eggs, crepes & waffles. Omelettes & poached eggs are cooked to order. For Asian guests there is always stir fries & noodle dishes on offer. The kitchen has a theme night each night ranging from Asian night, I loved the bread with ginger, rotisserie night, heritage night (which is the local cuisine) and several times they have a semi- buffet where you serve yourself starters and desserts as normal, salads are always available but the main course is from a choice of dishes from a menu which is then served to you at the table. Gentlemen will need to wear long trousers and jeans are acceptable. Most men wore trousers and a polo shirt type top or short sleeved shirts with casual shoes or tidy trainers. We only saw one person not following the rules.

At Beach Rouge I can highly recommend the wraps or delicious tenderloin steak at lunchtime but sadly steak it is not available on the evening AI menu. The chocolate soft cake is to die for either at lunchtime or dinner! I would also recommend trying East which we did a few times & this time there is steak available. I also liked the warm lemon tart. Maybe that’s why I gained 8lb in weight!
It worked out about £45 per day each for us to go all inclusive which was money well spent as we didn’t have to worry about what we were spending nor had to go to the local shops to buy cheaper supplies. By the time we added on the cost of drinks around the pool, lunch with drinks, drinks in the evening & unlimited coffee & ice cream plus the items included in the mini bar we more then met the additional cost. To help you decide some of the average prices when we were there were (Mauritian rupees) soft drink 160rs, beer 200rs, cocktails 450rs, spirits 300rs, coffee 130rs, bottled water 75cl 160rs. An average starter was 550rs, main course 700rs & deserts 330rs.

During our stay we made use of the SPA several times for the sauna, steam room & Jacuzzi but we didn’t have any treatments, we hired a tennis court & took our own balls or you can hire them. The glass bottom boat which goes out twice a day, weather permitting and lasts about an hour & was not too choppy! We also took out pedalos which was good fun & the water isn’t too deep. We paid 395rs each & went on the guided bike ride to the Sunday market in Flacq where you can buy gifts, the usual tourist items, clothing & have a good barter to bag a bargain! The journey is approx. 5 miles each way & is quite hard work for someone like me who is extremely unfit but if I can do most of you can as well. Our guide was great he never left anyone behind & made sure we were all ok. The cycle home is much easier.
There are some gift, clothing & food shops about 15 minutes stroll away from Lux, you either turn right outside the main gate or turn left & walk along the beach. You will also find a pharmacy there plus a very modern purpose built Armani, Ralph Lauren & I think Hugo Boss stores which look extremely out of place in an otherwise run down area.

Something to bear in mind at the airport on the way home, not only did we find it expensive but everything is priced in Euros so either take them with your or to use up your Mauritian Rupees like we wanted they will convert the cost but it worked out more expensive when doing the conversing to sterling then what it did for the euros?
The hotel is fully closed during july & august 2014 to decorate the remaining rooms & carry out other improvments but to us its already perfect so if you are thinking about going just do it. We have a rule that the world is a big place and we never go to the same place twice but I could easily break that rule for Lux Belle Mare.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Ali831
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed at many hotels around the world, but I can safely say that my stay at the Lux Belle Mare was the the best ever.
The rooms, ambience, beach, food, and above all, the excellent service by all staff were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Pinakin S
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were staying at the Lux in Grand Gaube and wanted to visit Belle Mare and use the facilities at this Lux, our hotel kindly arranged this. When we arrived here there was no problem as they were expecting us. we were treated like guests at this hotel. This hotel benefits from one of the best beach stretches in Mauritus and they truly have a fabulous spot. The beach is well maintained by the staff. We ordered two cocktails from ‘Beach Rouge’ which were amazing. We stayed there for lunch, the food took ages to arrive, we didn’t complain but clearly the staff here are highly vigilant and gave us two cocktails on the house – which I thought was a great touch. Overall in our short visit here we found the staff just as friendly and attentive as the Lux Grand Gaube. I would definitely consider staying here on our next visit, as the beach its truly beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saintlysinner
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 day holiday in Mauritius. We stayed 07 nights at the LUX Belle Mare. What a beautiful hotel, could not fought it. The staff, accommodation, food entertainment was excellent. We choose the AI option which was worth ever penny. We had a beautiful room with a view of the sea. The staff could not do enough for us. We were entertained two nights by hotel managements FANTASTIC. We were over the moon. If you are thinking of going to Mauritius I would definitely recommend this hotel and area. All is left to say is WELL DONE LUX Belle Mare and Thank you once again.
Our next three nights was at the LUX Le Morne, Nice hotel but I felt it was in need of refurbishment. Hotel rooms was nice but very dark. Food in Kitchen restaurant was OK but service was poor. Beach restaurant was excellent. Staff very helpful especially the maid in the room. All round we had a FANTASTIC holiday and will definitely be returning to LUX Belle Mare once the refurbishment as taken place.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent. I even viewed the suites and they were outstanding. LUX Belle Mar excellent for families.
2  Thank Mrs Terry H
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just returned from a week at the LUX Belle Mare in Mauritius. Our first trip and cannot wait to return. Fabulous accommodation and facilities and really wonderful staff. We selected the All Inclusive option which was a great success. We dined in the Beach Rouge and The Kitchen, both offered a huge choice. I am Gluten Free and I had no trouble in finding delicious dishes - breakfast, lunch and dinner! The alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails were superb and the wine list excellent. The Resident Manager, Mr Antoine Chignac, Executive Head Chef Vincent and Food & Beverage Manager, Kris, were delightful and always looking after their guests so well. All the staff were marvellous and extremely genuine. The Red Telephone Box just near reception is such fun - all guests are invited to phone home to friends and family and there is NO CHARGE. The two of us went on a boat trip organised by Robin, another great experience, fed the monkeys, saw some bats and visited the waterfall and then the skipper, Saheed, cooked us some local fish on the barbque followed by bananas in rum - delicious!! Well now back in the UK and the diet is working well, all ready for our next visit to the beautiful Island of Mauritius. Our trip was organised by Hayes & Jarvis, the first time we have used them and now I would not consider going to anyone but them. We flew Emirates - the best. Currency, take Euros, Sterling and Dollars and if you need local currency, visit the ATM. Fantastic, huge thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: If you wish for a quieter room then request beach view.
2  Thank Janie C