“Great resort for kids”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Virum, Denmark
“Great resort for kids”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed in a junior suite with a great view for close to two weeks. We loved every minute of our stay and particularly enjoyed the great buffet (very suitable for children) and the fact that the hotel is located on the best part of the island (in our opinion - after driving around the island for a day we concluded that we were definitely on the best location).
Only thing a bit off was the complimentary "romantic dinner" (courtesy of the hotel) we enjoyed on a secluded restaurant right next to the ocean among a lot of young couples in love ... and then us, with our noisy baby :-)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Thomas_fra_Virum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, England
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This was our second stay at Belle Mare. This time we stayed in 2 beach front suites, which was absolutely perfect for our needs. The room itself was very well thought out, and the balcony was huge - easily big enough for a family of four to chill out after a day at the beach.

The service was fantastic, entertainment very very good, and the food outstanding. We were half board, although we did eat in 2 of the other restaurants. Prices aren't cheap, but I would definately recommend this hotel, and I will be returning.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Janeyb_9
England
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This was our 3rd visit to Mauritius after staying at Le Saint Gerain, Le Prince Maurice & Le Meridien Ile Maurice previously. We wanted a top-end hotel but not wanting to spend Saint Gerain & Prince Maurice prices, so after a lot of research & reading other reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided on Constance Belle Mare Plage and were not disappointed. We had a 10 day holiday.

We were very impressed with the food. The buffet breakfast had a huge selection and was very good for my husband who ate omlettes/cooked breakfast every day to me who loves fruit and continental breakfast. Most dinner buffets are disappointing but the food here was the best buffet we have experienced.

As I was 5 months pregnant we didn't use all the facilities and were going on holiday to just chill out, swim and enjoy the nice walks up the beach. I was impressed that they offer free water skiing (as most hotels charge for motorised sports). There are several swimming pools to sit by if you want a rest from the annoying beach sellers! I think the hotel should clearly state one of the pools as being adult only so kids can play as loudly as like without bothering other guests.

The room was fine - we were in a Prestige Room, but I requested a high floor down the far end of the beach near the Presidential Villa and we were delighted with our location as we had a lovely view of the beach/sea. Room was clean. Having free internet in your room was a bonus, but it was very slow at peak times after everyone had come off the beach.

Location was nice - white sandy beach. 1 hour drive from the airport on the East coast. Hotel is nicely done out, with nice decor.

TIPS: (1) Pay the £200 more each to fly direct with BA (London Heathrow - Mauritius) rather than having an unecessary non-direct flight. 12 hours is long enough without stopping off!
(2) Buy bottles of water/soft drinks etc from either the supermarket (10 min taxi) or as my husband did took a 10 min walk left out of the hotel every few days and bought cheap water from 2 little cafes/bars.

MOANS: (1) No tea/coffee making facilities in the room was a big disappointment for us. As you come off the beach anywhere from 4 - 5pm due to the sun going, we like to have tea/coffee in our room but that was not possible unless you pay the £5 room service charge every time. Sitting formerly in their main lounge/bar area is not quite the same as chilling out on your own balcony.
(2) Most reviews that I'd read before we went praised the staff and we would say that the staff were friendly, but there were often occasions of mis-communication with them e.g. you have free internet access in your room, but our room's ethernet cable was missing, so my husband called for one to be delivered to the room + 2 extra bath towels as only 2 towels were provided (and women with long hair need 2 towels after washing their hair)! After waiting 30 minutes or so, a guy knocked at the door saying he was there to fix our safe & had no extra towels with him! So he was sent away to get the cable and over an hour later we got our internet cable (by which time everyone had logged on and the service was sol slow I gave up and used it another day). We also had several incidents at lunch of staff not writing down or understanding what we had asked for and after waiting quite long on some days to get our lunch, it not being what we had ordered.
(3) We had a staff service cupboard next to our room door and on several mornings I was woken up by staff opening & slaming this door several times from very early in the morning and talking loudly between themselves.
(4) Not impressed with the green tiny bath-sized beach towels that only half covered the sun beds. The sun bed material gets boiling hot, so not very comfortable when you end up burning your legs! The last 2 days of our stay the hotel had purchased new proper sized orange beach towels - much needed!
(5) The hotel really needs to put a stop to the idiots reserving beach sun beds with towels. 4 Germans next to us had reserved their sunbeds with towels, had gone to play golf all morning, had lunch and then turned up to use the sunbeds in the afternoon. This is so annoying to other guests who just turn up on the beach after breakfast to spend their day there.

We had a lovely holiday and the moans were just a minor part of our trip which if the hotel can improve for future guests then great. Don't let these moans put you off, you will still have a fabulous time.

1 Thank Maldives1
London U
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We recently returned from spending over a week at the Belle Mare Plage and had a thoroughly nice stay, returning home relaxed and happy. The staff were very keen to please, and it's nice to see that the Constance chain runs its own hospitality training facility for employees about 15km away from the hotel. Comments as follows:
Food - was universally delicious. The food at the buffet is superb, and is a world away from the plastic tasting reheated rubbish you find at the "all inclusive" resorts in the Caribbean. It is fresh and varied. We ate at Spiaggia one night, and had a delicious meal in a highly romantic setting, looking out at the moon reflecting off the sea between two palm trees. Seriously pricy, but paid for by the savings made by visits to M. Benoit's van for lunches (see below). Deer Hunter is also a great idea as a change from the buffet as the fixed menu is included in the half board deal, although our boys thought the fare was a bit grown-up. Wine is very expensive throughout, with the cheapest bottle being £23 inc vat.
Watersports. This is one of the areas where the resort is not as good as some of the other hotels on the island. Partly this is due to the fact that they need a second waterski boat as there was often a 1 hr wait to ski; but more importantly, the topography of the offshore reef at this point leads to quite choppy seas. This meant that it is unsuitable for windsurfing or waterskiing for beginners, and that in the prevailing force 3-5 winds you are usually not allowed to take out the Hobie Cats in case you damage them on the reef - a big disappointment; in fact we were green with envy going round the corner to the Beau Rivage where there was half a mile plus of flat water with entire families out there having fun. Only once in 9 days were we allowed to go out and sail at the Belle Mare Plage. The boat house staff and boat drivers were however superb.
Saving money. The first thing to say is that you shouldn't be staying at this hotel if money is tight - you get what you pay for , and this is an immaculately run resort with top service, excellent facilities and great food. That said, here are a few tips: book the transfers yourself by calling Mauritius taxi .. the number is on their website, and the return transfer to the hotel from the airport was €140.. they are friendly and reliable; get your driver to stop off enroute in one of the villages to stock up on water, tonic, beers, soft drinks etc; finally I should mention M, Benoit. This gentleman, together with his wife and daughter are to be found parked in their white van outside the golf club's staff entrance, where they serve a very limited but delicious range of food to the locals and more savvy guests. Fare is mainly fried noodles, Roti or filled rolls, but he does a delicious fried rice with prawns and sausage which you can order by calling him the night before (750 1910). Price? R 240 for 4 of us or about £5 in total, versus £12-15 EACH for a burger or a salad at Indigo.
Vicky the boat operator - well worth it and the waterfalls (but not Ile be Cerf) are amazing as is his lobster and wine lunch afterwards.
Finally, two (small) complaints. WHY does this hotel not include tax on menus and other services? If the awesomely expensive One and Only next door does, why can't the Belle Mare? And the beds could do with softer mattresses - they are just too hard for a classy hotel like this.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank TheFrogholers
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My husband took me to this hotel for my birthday. It was a wonderful treat.
Room service created a marvellous Happy Birthday message with petals on our bed and I was given a scrumptious cake in the Deer Hunter Restaurant. (but for some reason they wouldn't give us cutlery or plates to eat it )
Our room, in a junior suite, was excellent, and on complaint about the hard bed, foam was placed on the mattress to make it a lot more comfortable.
Food and drink is expensive but no more than one would expect in a hotel. We went to Symons bar a couple of times, plain decor, cheap prices, excellent local food. The first time we turned left out of the hotel and walked along the road. My preferred route was a 15 minute amble along the beach.
My husband played lots of golf and spoke highly of it.
I went diving. The set up at the hotel dive centre looked good but at almost £10 a dive more than at the Beau Rivage Hotel, I chose the later. The staff there were brilliant. I felt very safe with my dive guide Jean- Michel who took us to some excellent sites, my favourite was a drift dive through the pass where we saw amongst other fish, a huge shoal of Trevelly, a turtle, a shark, and a ray. I watched some instruction by Sylvan and was impressed by his thoroughness and care. I contacted Annika in advance via e mail [--] She helpfully arranged transport each day to and from the hotel.
We were there for 12 days and it took most of that to understand the place, now we know it we will return - shame it is so far from England!

3 Thank busby_10
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I’m sure this has all been said before, but I thought I'd write a summary (many thanks to all those who gave reviews before we went, and contributed to this!) I should start by saying that a few previous reviews have commented on the cost of food/ drink/ services, so I've tried to include some idea of prices along the way, though let's face it, if you're coming here, you don't expect prices to be cheap and cheerful!:

LOCATION & FACILITIES:
5/5: Stunning location overlooking the beach! Quiet area, about 30/ 40 minutes walk south along beach/ forest area to the nearest village of Belle Mare. The hotel comprises of a number of low-rise (3 floors) buildings, housing the rooms & suites. It is all set in beautiful gardens, with 4 large swimming pools.

SERVICE:
Varied from 3/5 to 5/5: Don’t get me wrong – the staff are lovely hosts – so welcoming, pleasant and helpful. However, our success rate of getting anything done was about 50%! Mostly endearing, but on occasion, a little annoying! Everything is always done with a smile, but it was sometimes hard work trying to get things done in the first place! For instance, we had to ask FOUR times for a kettle to be delivered to our room! And trying to get beach towels for lying on loungers became a real challenge – I eventually gave up and used the stand-by ones we’d taken with us! And chasing the buffet staff up for tea/ coffee ordered at breakfast.... You get the idea!! If you accept that, and adopt a sense of humour about it, you’ll be fine! (Note to Management - notebooks might be an idea! Nobody seems to write anything down…!) Also, service seems to vary from room to room - our friends had complimentary wine and slippers in their room; flowers and a daily weather forecast laid on their bed - we saw none of that! Quite funny really!

ROOMS:
5/5: I have a pet hate of booking and paying for accommodation which turns out to be a bit tired and frayed around the edges – definitely NOT an issue here! The whole property is beautifully decorated. We were lucky enough to be upgraded from a standard room to a Junior Suite on the ground floor – it was spacious and clean, with seating areas indoors AND outside on the terrace. Also had a mini bar, flat-screen TV and dressing room. Lovely en-suite with two sinks, huge bath, double-sized shower, and separate toilet. Our friends had a standard room and, though it was smaller, it was still spacious, and their furnishings were probably a little newer/ more contemporary.

BREAKFAST:
5/5: The buffet (open 7am to 10.30am) offers a huge breakfast selection of juices, fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurts, rolls/ bread/ croissants! You can also take your pick of hot breakfasts such as the traditional “English” / fresh pancakes (addictive!) / omelettes made to order! Delicious! It was served in a light and airy breakfast room/ terrace, but if you sit outside, beware all the pretty little birds coming to scavenge empty tables next to you!

DAYTIME EATING:
Indigo and La Kaze: There are a couple of bars/ restaurants near the pools/ beach for daytime drinks / snacks.

DINNER:
5/5: Included in your half board price is dinner at the buffet restaurant (La Citronelle) or the Deer Hunter restaurant at the Legends golf club.

The buffet is excellent – salads/ pizza/ pasta made to order/ roasts/ Asian / local dishes. Oh and a huge array of desserts / ice creams for those with a sweet tooth! We enjoyed all our meals there but I did feel it was quite casual there (though they do expect a certain standard of dress eg. long trousers for men). Personal opinion but I felt it was a “linen trousers” sort of place, and saved my dresses for eating in the other 3 restaurants.

The Deer Hunter half-board menu is restrictive, though it’s changed daily – check notice boards through the hotel to see what the current one is. The only choice you can make is between meat and fish for your main course. We ate three times there, and enjoyed all meals and, most of all, the ambience. On occasion, the deer in the area wander down in front of the restaurant, and you can see them grazing over the water. Unique!

La Spiaggia is their upmarket Mediterranean restaurant, close to the 20 hotel-owned villas. Again, we thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere here – great service and food choice.

The Blue Penny cafe is actually far from being a cafe! It is certainly their fine dining restaurant – not cheap, but food and service was top notch. We treated ourselves to one meal here – however, look out for theme nights as they are excellent value. They only seat 40, so get in quick for those – they are snapped up! We missed out – they were doing a 6 course meal WITH wines one Friday for only 1000 Rupees (£22) extra per person – that would definitely be the way to sample it!

The Cocktail bar has a nice atmosphere for a before / after dinner drink, often with live entertainment. Cocktails are lovely but 350 Rupees + tax/ £8.50 each!

TIPS:
1. While we were waiting for our room to be prepared when we arrived early on the first day, we jumped into a taxi and headed to the Winners Supermarket in Flacq (about 10 minute drive away). We paid 900 Rupees (£20) for a return trip but found it was well worth it. I’m not sure if you can haggle with the taxi drivers outside the hotel – I’ve heard differing opinions on that! We stocked up on water, soft drinks, wine and beer and that worked perfectly – saved on some of the bar costs! (Wine was about £7 a bottle, 1.5l water = 13 Rupees / £0.30!)
2. Our favourite bottle of wine in the hotel was a Ken Forester Chenin Blanc - not their most expensive but still £43!
3. As I said, a kettle is not supplied in the room initially, but they will supply one with tea/ coffee etc (though you may have to ask more than once!)
4. If you’re lying on the beach loungers, they will bring food and /or drink to you – just put the blue flag into your parasol pole, next to the number sign – this actually works very well. (Soft drinks - 109 Rupees/ £2.40; Pizza 667 Rupees/ £14; Beefburger 713 Rupees/ £15; Beer 161 Rupees/ £3.50)
5. When we were there (early Oct.) the sun went off the beach by 4pm. This leaves a couple of hours to fill in before getting ready to go out in the evening, and I liked using the fitness centre – check out the weekly programme for free classes being held.
We also enjoyed a couple of walks along the beach – South to the public beach to take photos of the sunset over the hotel, and also North to the One & Only Hotel, which is a really nice walk (if the tide is out!)
6. I also treated myself to a massage while I was there. There are actually two different spas – the hotel’s own one, and the Shiseido one which I tried – but I’m sure they’d both be lovely. Just depends on which treatment you fancy.
7. A few previous reviews recommended Symons cafe, about 15/ 20 mins walk along the main road out of the hotel, towards Belle Mare. Now I didn’t go there myself, but our two friends did – and came back MINUS their mobile phone, if you know what I mean. You have been warned!
8. Happy hour in the cocktail bar seems to vary according to the time of year, and how busy they are - it was 9-10pm when we were there. Pick a drink from the menu with a red spot against it, and your next (same) drink will be free!
9. There is free internet in the courtesy lounge at the front of the hotel, and also wi-fi in the cocktail bar if you have your I-pod etc with you.
10. We tried to visit the sister hotel, Le Prince Maurice, on advice of other TA reviewers, but when we were there, it was busier and they weren't accepting any day-trippers!
11. Hawkers on the beach selling their wares are frequent visitors but not pushy. I didn't buy anything, but overheard a guy next to me buying a "designer" polo shirt - 500 Rupees (£11) for 1,800 (£18) for 2.

THINGS TO DO IN THE LOCALE:
We were only staying for 8 nights, and with a very busy year behind us, were ready to relax. We certainly didn’t do as much as we normally do on holiday, but we did take an excursion to the Pamplemousses Botanic Gardens, and to the capital Port Louis (1220 Rupees pp/ £26 with Virgin), which was enjoyable. The hotel do a free twice-daily trip for both snorkelling and glass-bottomed boat. There are tennis courts, but you need to hire racquets and buy balls.

GOLF:
We had chosen the CBMP primarily because of the two golf courses attached to the hotel. Golf is free but you are obliged to take a buggy at 990 Rupees/ £21. My husband thoroughly enjoyed two games on each of the courses, and would return without question!

SUMMARY:
11 hour flight from Paris, delays coming home due to the French air strikes, a day or two of rain/ grey cloud while we were there..........
Would I go back? Without a doubt!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank AvidHolidaymaker
UK
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Overall impression

A great place to stay if you are beach activity and golf oriented. Wonderful location on a great beach about one hour from the airport. Brilliant staff and fabulous food. There are a few things that let the resort down in terms of hitting the five star mark that the in resort prices being charged for food and drink, water included are aiming for. Don't come here on a budget of less than £100 a day for two. You will spend that on lunch, water, drinks and wine at dinner. Then there is the additional cost of the other restaurants on offer that are not included in the half board package but well worth visiting. If that is all in range and you like golf and beach activities you will have a great time.

A couple of things to mention that we also did and throughly enjoyed were Vicky's boat tour from the resort to I'le aux Cerfs, the waterfalls and some reef snorkelling accompanied by a lobster lunch at a great spot. You'll see him on the beach wearing a red tee shirt, sunglasses and carrying a folder with a picture of one of the boats on it. And Kitesurfing lessons from the crazy Swiss guy further up the beach. The boat house guys have his details and can book it for you. I'm now hooked much to my partners delight! ....Partner here, Hum just read this and I will attempt again but somewhere where my feet do not get cut by coral, bring your surf booties or jelly shoes!

As others have mentioned it's worth either stopping in Centre de Flaq en route from the airport or whenever you can get there and stock up on water, beer, rum and snacks. It will make a big difference to your bill. We bought a bottle of Gin on the flight and two bottle of Champagne on arrival (60 Euro) stocked up with tonic at the supermarche and had great pre dinner drinks every evening.

Room Noise - we were on the ground level of a three storey block in the north end of the Junior Suites section. Great terrace as a result of the ground floor but unfortunately every footstep and toilet action could be heard clearly from the rooms above. Also the noise from out side the front door was clearly audible. There is not much soundproofing. Not a major problem but again one of those things that just go against the resort in terms of hitting that five star level. The rooms were kept very clean, the turn down service very good by Wesley.

Beach Towels - on several mornings we wondered down to the beach to find no one attending the beach towels and on looking ourselves there were none. It would appear that something had been done about this towards the end of the holiday as brand new towels started to be handed out. They had obviously increased the quantity due to complaints.

Incorrect bills - on three occasions we had incorrect bills from the beach service and the indigo Bar. Make sure you check them!

The Bed - I had read the other reviews on TA before booking and noted that some people had mentioned that the bed was firm or hard. Now I did not think much to this as we have a firm mattress at home. The difference being ours has support! The bed here is firm but firm with no support. Neither of us felt like we had a really good nights sleep. I stay in a lot of hotels for business and the beds in the Marriotts or Hiltons are way more comfortable than these. Defiantly not five star.

Positive Points
- the choice of food from Citronelle and the option to eat at the Deer Hunter included in the half board package. The Deer Hunter was particularly good. We did eat at Spagillia's one evening and had a fantastic meal with brilliant service. All in with two bottles of wine was around £200 on top of the HB allowance. The new Wine Sommelier was fantastic, salt encrusted fish beautiful. Well worth it in my opinion.
- the range of activities on offer on the beach, Hobies, Lasers, Pedelos, Water Skiing, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Snorkelling trips to the reef, Glass Bottomed boat to the reef. All fantastic and well used by us. For those of you who are sailors they are a little cautious about letting you out in a Hobie in anything over a force four. If there are white caps in the lagoon you probably won't be allowed out, but wait for a small lull and then get out. Some great reaching and surfing to be had :-)
- The golf courses are excellent and included in the cost of the resort. A caddy is well recommended if you fancy a really good round. Buggies are compulsory on the Links course as it is rather long and pretty hilly as well. The Legend is fine for walking.
- the beach, room, spa and restaurant staff are excellent. Very friendly and will remember you pretty quickly. I found the front office staff not to be quite as good. Some of the info they provided was duff and they did not know some basic things about provisions and airport related items.
- the size of the Junior suite was very generous with the outside terrace. A decent sized bathroom and walk in wardrobe were all appreciated.
- the option to have breakfast in your room or on the terrace in the mornings if you do not fancy a cooked breakfast. The Continental that is offered is huge! Well for us it was anyhow. Two plates of sliced fruit, hot drink of your choice, the coffee is great, fresh juice and two baskets of breads, pastries and toast. The Almond Croissant and Pain au Chocolate were delicious.
- I would recommend the Spa Constance, especially the Shiatsu by a very experienced and professional Malaysian man, Shiseido much more expensive, almost double the price, although good for a treat.
- As a mid thirty couple, there were not many people of our age or below, not a problem but no wild parties at the bar!

We had a fantastic relaxing holiday with watersport activity galore and fine food, would recommend anyone looking for a break in routine and complete chill time, it's a beautiful spot.

4 Thank Simpic
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,363 reviews

Been to Constance Belle Mare Plage? Share your experiences!