“A lovely, friendly restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hippocampe - CLOSED

Hippocampe
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Montreal, Canada
“A lovely, friendly restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

We went here based on the Trip Advisor rating. Unfortunately I was suffering a bit of heatstroke and felt unwell but the staff were so kind and courteous, opening windows and trying to help. They even offered us a lift back to our hotel! The food was lovely and the manageress / staff fantastic.

• Visited December 2012

Bengaluru, India
“Good food, confusing decor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

The food in Hippocampe was definitely interesting. Mauritian food. We had Masala Dosa (made Maurituan way) for starter - very interesting preparation.

The Curries were very tasty & the host made sure we were comfortable.

Although I thought that the decor was very odd & didnt suit the place. I dont know what were they aiming for, but the inside section has blue lights (very unappetizing & odd). Avoid sitting inside, please sit outside to enjoy your dinner.

Visited February 2013
Novi Sad, Serbia
“It's good, but not "that" good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I pass by this restaurant on my way from work, and was never too impressed by it's exterior (being that it sits just next to a big supermarket), and avoided it when choosing my dining. However, it's tripadvisor reputation made me sit and have a meal in it, and my general impression is that while the place is very good, it's not among the best on the island.

Dining choices balance between grill and Mauritian cuisine. I ordered chicken&prawn curry, which came very good. I got a roti and local vegetables and really enjoyed the meal. However, I didn't like the fact that prawns were not fresh but frozen (I think), but fresh prawns are suprisingly difficult to find here. Nevertheless, although delicious, dinner could not compete with the likes of 7 Cascades, Chamarel restaurant and Barbizon.

Other than that, I was very happy with the service. Music was somewhat confusing, going from usual Indian and Mauritian to bands such as Cranberries. Place was empty when I was having my dinner, so can't really comment on atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good choice (probably the best on Flic en Flac) to eat, but I'd take it's sky high reputation with a pinch of salt.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Delhi, India
“The best in Flic En Flac”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

Good food options, a nice setting in the evening for dinner and friendly staff make it a great dining experience. The indoor seating sucks though so please avoid it though

Dubai
“Bad food, slow service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We came all the way to eat at this restaurant based on Trip Advisor rating. Firstly the ambience was sad, the restaurant was only 20% occupied on a Friday night.
We order Papaya salad to start with, which was very salty, we sent it back, what returned was no better.
For the main course i wanted to order ravioli pasta- my fav dish and also my prefered vegetarian choice, which again sadly was not available. My husband order the chicken and prawn malabar curry confirming that it will be spicy, which to our surprise was just the other way round- yes it was SWEET...

We gave our feedback to the lady there, but no word of concern from there. Instead they started advising as to where we can go for spicy food!!!!!!!!!! Really some one does that!!???

Anyways our over all rating TERRIBLE , POOR, Will not suggest any one to go there.

Thank you.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Pravine R, Owner at Hippocampe, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Tripadvisor is not a tool for bullying!
We were not surprised to see this review as these guests were extremely demanding and unwilling to understand that our mauritian curries are not shot with chillies as they insisted. Our subtleties of spicing are very different to mainland indian curries and we generally cater for the European taste. Eventually, their demand for green chillies and raw onion on the table helped us to understand the quantity of spice they required in their food (not a mauritian way of cooking at all).
Finally, after refusing to bow to their bullying us to give them a 20% discount on their bill, we were prepared for this negative review.