“awesome dive, nice Spots”

Ticabo Diving Centre
Ranked #3 of 18 Tours in Flic En Flac
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ticabo Diving Center is a PADI & CMAS dive center that has been established since 2007 on the WEST COAST / flic en flac - Mauritius. Our Instructors speak English, French and Creol. While diving with us in Mauritius, you will note that we like to keep it simple, small and friendly, and are devoted to a really loving caring and individual service rather than factory like bubble makers. Our attention focused on quality service, safety and professionalism, finds its strength in the love for the ocean, the passion to share it with you.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“awesome dive, nice Spots”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just get your GoPro, head to Ticabo early to choose your gear. the staff are very friendly and the equipment are really well maintained. Enjoy!

Visited June 2014

• Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great diving experience”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I went diving 3 times with Ti - Cabo while in Mauritius May 2014. Very good experience, friendly, helpful staff. Very relaxed without feeling careless or complacent. Also went diving through two of the more expensive hotels which were also good experiences but Ti - Cabo were cheaper!
I would recommend the Cathedral dive site if you can do it. Would have no hesitation using Ti - Cabo again.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My dives in Flic en Flac”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

in April 2014 I've enjoyed with 10 dives, I've followed the Ticabo's dive centre fins.I felt well under water and out, the staff was friendly and professional, the secretary replyed immediately with precision at the e-mail with my questions.
Lucia from Italy

Visited April 2014
1 Thank simone b
London
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Probably wouldn't have gotten my diving qualification without them”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I couldn't equalise well on my "intro to scuba" and freediving courses and had given up on diving.

But, I had time in Mauritius and Ticabo was recommended by a diving enthusiast as a great place to get diving basics. So why not email to ask about doing an open water course?

Nazia emailed back quickly with what I needed to know e.g. cost, types of courses, course availability.

Ticabo offers both PADI Open Water or CMAS Level 1 courses. The PADI instructor was off that week, so I did CMAS instead. PADI is more popular, but my research showed that CMAS and other diving qualifications worldwide are also interchangeably accepted, although in some places, I expect to be asked for my CMAS logbook to support my ability.

Anyway, signing up and taking the course was pretty straightforward.

I turned up at 11am on my first day, met Xavier and Nicolas, and Nicolas was assigned to be my instructor. Payment was made in cash at the dive centre. The dive centre is easy to find, near parking space and lots of beachfront kiosks selling food good for a post-dive bite.

I did the course alone. I was advised to do one trial dive session first. If I could equalise and was comfortable, I could continue onto a CMAS level 1 course by doing 5 more dives. CMAS Level 1 involves a total of 6 dives over 4 days, with one or 2 dives a day, at 9am and/or 11am. There is no pool session. Even the trial dive is in the sea, albeit in a lagoon (no current) of about 12 metres. There is also a self-study theory component, which is tested after the last dive. But at Ticabo, the crux is cultivating good practical habits and ability!

While young and not immediately chatty, Nicolas is an attentive instructor. He monitored my underwater activity closely, especially my ability to equalise, since I had highlighted this as my major concern. He also spotted and quickly debriefed me after every dive on all that I should know for my future diving. When I developed some ability but was getting way stressed with the technical exercises (e.g. mask recovery, out of air simulation), he cracked some jokes - underwater. I found out that he is a cool dude after one gets to know his personality better.

Over the 6 dives, I dived up (should that be down?) to 25 metres. I never felt unsafe. This was particularly important for me. I think my previous diving experiences weren't as enjoyable as I didn't feel reassured about safety standards/relaxed enough.

Equipment was reasonably new and in good order. There was tons of quality and individual attention. Although I didn't have much time to see stuff (since I was busy learning underwater techniques), we dived in some cool sites (the naturally set "Cathedral" is awesome) and I managed to spot an eel, lobsters, turtle, sea snake and of course lots of interesting fish.

On half of my dives, there were between 2-5 other divers on the boat who were nice to talk to too. Nicolas, boatman James, and Xavier are all really nice. A pity I didn't get to meet Nazia during my trip but she was really helpful via email. The Ticabo team is really passionate about diving.

Hang in there Ticabo crew. I hope to come back very soon to dive with you. Thanks very much for everything! Couldn't have done it without you all.

[More details on Ticabo below

Dive centre is open on monday to saturday from 8.45 to 4pm. (closed on
sunday)

1st dive session at 9 o'clock for qualified divers.
2nd dive at 11o'clock for beginner's course + qualified divers.
All divers are lead by a guide & instructor, and always in a small group (4 or less).

Beginner
For beginners, initiation is in the lagoon 1st (protected area) followed immediately by an
open water shallow dive between 6-10/12 mts depth.

The price for initiation is Rs1600 (including diving equipment, lagoon session and dive) excluding a compulsory insurance of Rs200/- valid for 2 months.

CMAS is a world wide recognized certificate with 6 technical dives within the
Level 1 course, following the standards of the MSDA (MAURITIAN SCUBA DIVING ASSOCIATION)

CMAS LEVEL 1*
DAY 1 :
-BRIEFING WITH MATERIALS AND EXERCISES -INITIATION TO SCUBA DIVING IN THE LAGOON
-DIVE 1 = OPEN WATER DIVE 10-12 M
-THEORY VIA EMAIL TO STUDY
DAY 2 :
-DIVE 2 + DIVE 3 ( OPEN WATER DIVES + EXERCISES )
DAY 3 :
-DIVE 4 + DIVE 5 ( OPEN WATER DIVES + EXERCISES )
DAY 4
-DIVE 6 (EXPLORATION) maxi 25m + oral exam
Total price = Rs11200 (including the 1st day initiation ,registration fee, insurance valid 2
month, logbook, materials, dives, boat trip , exam, certification card immediately after course
over)

PADI OPEN WATER DIVER COURSE (5 dives )
-1 initiation + exploration (day1)
-1 long lagoon confined open water dive + 1 scuba dive explo (day 2)
-2 scuba dives (day 3)
Price = Rs13500 (Inc a theory book, insurance, pic card , logbook)

All staff speak English / French and Creole.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank SinyeeKoh
Zurich, Switzerland
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Excellent diving experience”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

It was the 2nd time we went diving with this diving centre. 2 years after our first visit the team is still very friendly and competent. We arranged the first dive with Nazia via email and never had to wait long for responses. We were picked up at our resort before the dives, checked the materials they lend us at the centre and then took off to the beach in the centres pick-up truck. It's only a 3 min drive and once there they park right next to the boat to avoid long distances to carry the bottles etc. We went diving to various sites during our stay: Aquarium, Sweet Lips, the wreck St. Gabriel and finally Cathedral where the currents were crazy. This will remain in our top 5 memorable dives just because of the chaos under water. Xavier coordinated the various divers and buddy teams impeccably and this reinforced our opinion that it is a great team to dive with. His colleague Nicholas who was with two divers doing their CMAS 1 or 2 also supported them very well and they were ecstatic when they joined us on the boat and felt very safe during this unusual dive.

I would recommend this centre to anyone in a heartbeat. Thanks again for the beautiful and also fun dives!

Visited February 2014