My experience of Sugar Beach and Mauritius was overall a very nice experience. The hotel is beyond amazing - it looks just like the pictures. There are magnificent views everywhere you go, some staff are brilliant (I believe Vikram - hopefully I have his name correct - who works in the restaurants was absolutely marvelous), the food is pretty good (especially at Citronella's) and you get to choose from two beautiful pools. In general, Sugar Beach was a lovely place to come back to after exploring Mauritius all day.
However, I question some of the professionalism of the staff. I did not find some staff at all friendly, in fact it just seemed like a chore for them in general. For example, the chef who gave me crepes at breakfast one morning barely looked up at me despite me smiling at her and saying thank you. A significant amount of the time I felt like I was inconveniencing the staff - for instance, I felt a nuisance when ordering a taxi or attempting to make a reservation at a restaurant. Some of the telephone manners of reception staff wasn't terribly warm and sounded like they were just trying to get me off the phone as soon as possible.
Secondly, I was swimming in the South pool one morning by myself and one of the pool cleaners asked me out of the blue if I was married. He then asked my name and where I was from. I am all about building rapport with clients, but I felt asking me about my marital status after literally no conversation was beyond inappropriate and none of his business! He eventually left me alone but I really shouldn't have to feel "leered at" by staff.
I did enjoy my stay at Sugar Beach and I have been impressed by the follow up on our stay from the general manager. However, due to the indifference and unprofessionalism of some of the staff I will choosing another hotel for my next trip to Mauritius.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of 12 acres of tropical gardens, the luxurious Sugar Beach Resort extends along a vast white sandy beach bordered by the sparkling turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean. An idyllic setting surrounded by lush greenery and open spaces, this cool Mauritian Resort displays a colonial style blended with contemporary architecture. The restaurants, beachfront and inventive gourmet kitchens complete this romantic setting which is ideal for a honeymoon or a dream wedding in tropical paradise. Sugar Beach also offers a unique concept with the Aura Spa & Hammam Fitness Centre, unique in Mauritius. The unrivalled comfort, well planned layout and diversity of land and water activities make this resort a perfect holiday destination for families and honeymooners alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Southall Travel and Booking.com so you can book your Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sugar Beach Mauritius
- Hotel Sugar Beach
- Sugar Beach Resort Mauritius
- Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Flic En Flac