“Beautiful, but staff hit and miss” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort

Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Perth
“Beautiful, but staff hit and miss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My experience of Sugar Beach and Mauritius was overall a very nice experience. The hotel is beyond amazing - it looks just like the pictures. There are magnificent views everywhere you go, some staff are brilliant (I believe Vikram - hopefully I have his name correct - who works in the restaurants was absolutely marvelous), the food is pretty good (especially at Citronella's) and you get to choose from two beautiful pools. In general, Sugar Beach was a lovely place to come back to after exploring Mauritius all day.

However, I question some of the professionalism of the staff. I did not find some staff at all friendly, in fact it just seemed like a chore for them in general. For example, the chef who gave me crepes at breakfast one morning barely looked up at me despite me smiling at her and saying thank you. A significant amount of the time I felt like I was inconveniencing the staff - for instance, I felt a nuisance when ordering a taxi or attempting to make a reservation at a restaurant. Some of the telephone manners of reception staff wasn't terribly warm and sounded like they were just trying to get me off the phone as soon as possible.

Secondly, I was swimming in the South pool one morning by myself and one of the pool cleaners asked me out of the blue if I was married. He then asked my name and where I was from. I am all about building rapport with clients, but I felt asking me about my marital status after literally no conversation was beyond inappropriate and none of his business! He eventually left me alone but I really shouldn't have to feel "leered at" by staff.

I did enjoy my stay at Sugar Beach and I have been impressed by the follow up on our stay from the general manager. However, due to the indifference and unprofessionalism of some of the staff I will choosing another hotel for my next trip to Mauritius.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ms5Star
Andrew S, General Manager at Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience after your recent stay with others. I was sorry to read that your found inconsistencies in the level of service and courtesy received from our team members and wish to mention that we are very concerned about staff attitude.

Mauritians in general are very warm and friendly people and I am sure that with ongoing training and supervision we can achieve the expected levels of courtesy and professionalism.

I certainly hope that you will reconsider your decision and that you will give us another chance on a future visit to Mauritius.

Please accept my apologies.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Slome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our first stay in a resort hotel so we were not sure what expect. Our superior room was small for both us and our teenage son but well appointed. The hotel was quite big but there is plenty of space for everyone and security is good so no problems with our son going off to do his own thing at the teen club. Loved the managers cocktail party idea as we were able to meet him and some of his staff plus other like minded holiday makers.
Lots of water sports on offer. The beach is beautiful and the water was warmer than the pool even in winter.
The breakfast buffet was fantastic with plenty of choice. The same Buffet idea in the evening felt more like a works canteen but the food was very good. We ate at Cintronella restaurant on the beach another time. Our waitress Sandiana was charming and the location was stunning. Our son thought his pizza was a little undercooked. However the food in general was better than the Buffett.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and thought the hotel was very pleasant if a little understaffed at times.

Room Tip: Near the quiet pool away from the restaurants and bar area
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mrandmrsjohn
Dear Mr and Mrs John

It was a pleasure to have you and your son stay with us recently. We certainly do have a lot of families with kids of all ages at this time of the year and safety is a top priority. Our dedicated team of recreation and sports monitors take care of the activities for the teens which I hope your son enjoyed.

Thanks for your feedback about the pizza at Citronellas, which will be brought to the attention of our chef.

Hope to welcome you all back again.

Pointe Aux Canonniers, Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Food is excellent. Good Water sports activities. Tennis courts are very good. Calm environment with beautiful gardens. The behind-the-scene visit is a very good idea and the kids club is interesting..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Emma B
Andrew S, General Manager at Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Emma

Thanks for reviewing us. I am peased you even liked the behind the scenes tour amounst our other facilities and hope you will come back to experience even more. It would be a pleasure to see you again.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying at the resort and since traveling for the 1st time with a 8 month old baby, we had more anxieties than ever before. But as you arrive at the resort, the anxieties tend to gradually soothe. Apart from the initial scare (we were provided a standard room with 2 queen size beds which is not the room a couple would cherish, the decor not being same as the one visible on the website, and the distress of being needed to pay extra for a superior room since no standard room with king bed was available), the hotel staff was not only kind enough to upgrade us to a superior room, but they also ensured it was on the ground floor to make it comfortable for us with the baby pram. Since it was late in the evening and our baby was way past her sleeping time, they exceptionally served us the dinner buffet on our room. Stephan at front desk was extremely helpful in ensuring our stay began on a joyful note. Another gentleman who has been extremely hospitable is the F&B manager, Sachin, who and his staff including Chef Panchoo have always been available to assist with any baby food requirement which we may have had until now. The GM can often be seen supervising the guest comforts personally as well. Thus, the human factor which makes the difference of being greeted with a smiling face or being treated as any other guest is definitely tilted towards the former at this resort. In regards to the property, it's pretty big sized, very well landscaped, nice & clean beach, attractive elevation of the buildings does give the feeling of a premium retreat. Though the pools are nice as well, just a suggestion that it would be better to have them thermally regulated.

Thus overall, it has been a pleasant experience so far with 3 nights further to go and though we were about to choose between St. Regis & The Oberoi's, I have absolutely no regrets of having made the choice I did.

Ankur Vahi
Dubai, UAE.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank AnkurVahi
Andrew S, General Manager at Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Mr and Mrs Vahi

So pleased to read that you are well settled and enjoying your stay. I look forward to meeting you personally before your departure and remain at your entire disposal for any further assiatance you may require.

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at Sugar Beach for six nights and, overall, really enjoyed the stay. The aim of my trip to Mauritius was to relax and staying at this resort greatly assisted in this regard.

Check-in was reasonably swift and before long we were escorted to our room; which was not the twin room we had booked but instead a king room. Not sure why there was a mix up with the room, we booked on Expedia so perhaps there was a mis-communication between the website and the hotel. In any case I didn't consider this to be a major issue and the next day we were able to move to another room. I can't fault the efficiency that this was done however the service from the hotel staff could have been a little friendlier and apologetic.

Generally speaking the service received at this hotel was very mixed, some staff were incredibly friendly and attentive however the so-called 'Mauritian hospitality' was very much missing in others. A special mention to staff member Vikram (his name from memory), who was particularly friendly and came over to speak to us on a few different occasions during our stay.

The room itself was very nice overall and one of the better hotel rooms I have stayed in. There were a few small flaws; the bathroom/toilet door sometimes got stuck, some of the power points didn't work and the flimsy blind separating the bathroom from the rest of the room was not a very effective obscuring screen (perfect for honeymooners but not friends on a holiday, frosted glass a better idea?). The room itself was generally well appointed, particularly the complimentary daily bottled water which was appreciated. No hair conditioner in the bathroom was an interesting omission.

We didn't have an all-inclusive package and only breakfast was included in our stay. Breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of food and beverage items available, one of the better hotel breakfasts I've experienced. Dining at the hotel's restaurants was generally very good, however I don't understand why a booking 24 hours in advance is needed.

I can't fault the hotel and grounds which were simply stunning, particularly the two swimming pools which were immaculately clean and very well kept. The location of this resort could be seen as a positive or a negative - it's a fair walk from Flic-en-Flac and a 300-400 Rupee return taxi trip to the nearest restaurants. The relative remoteness could be seen as a positive for many and does give Sugar Beach a more exclusive feel than what it otherwise may have. Calling a taxi was relatively easy and all the taxi drivers we had were friendly and got us to where we needed to be safely.

Overall I really enjoyed my relaxing stay in Mauritius and at Sugar Beach. Whilst this was undeniably a beautiful place to stay and a well run resort, if I were to return to the country in the future I would be tempted to try the myriad of other great resorts on the island.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach/pool for a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sam_1220
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to the island. I was pleased to read that you have in general enjoyed your holiday. Your feedback has certainly highlighted some areas for improvement.

I was sorry that the hotel did not have your request for a twin room and have found that although this was on your original reservation made by Expedia it was not cascaded down to the hotel as it should have been. I will ensure with our central reservations that this does not happen again.

Concerning service, I have taken the liberty of thanking Vikram on your behalf for looking after you. He is an excellent role model and I will encourage other team members in service to adopt his style and attitude as well.

I hope that the room maintenance issues were dealt with promptly. Normally rooms are checked and inspected prior to arrival by housekeeping and I will ensure that this is brought to their attention.

As far as dining is concerned, please note that guests of Sugar Beach have access to all the restaurants on the complex including those of La Pirogue our sister hotel next door. This should almost eliminate the need to venture off property in the evening as we do offer a very wide variety of dining options. As concerns the 24 hour advance booking problem, there appears to have been some misunderstanding on the part of my staff as normally bookings open 24 hours prior to dinner and not the reverse as was communicated to you.

On behalf of us all I hope you will accept my apologies and that you might reconsider your decision to stay with us again on a return visit to Mauritius.

Yours sincerely

Flic En Flac
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This holiday was everything we hoped for and more we have never returned from a long haul destination feeling more rested and relaxed. The service was faultless and everything we expected from a hotel of this standing. The food in the al a carte restaurants was of the highest quality and the attentiveness of the staff was second to none without being overbearing

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Adrian M
Andrew S, General Manager at Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Adrian

Your very kind words are much appreciated. I am pleased that this has been such a relaxing holiday and that you have enjoyed our a la carte dining so much.

Hope to see you back again sometime soon.

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Wow what an amazing n wonderful hotel... Earlier we booked Sands Resort but it went on renovation so my tour operator gave me few options and we decided on Sugar Beach for our honeymoon stay. We got upgraded to 5 star hotel with no additional cost. Hotel ambiance, services,food etc..everything was excellent.Right from the welcome drink to last hour of our stay, the hotel had taken care properly. Initially, we were offered Superior room but we chose Standard Room as we wanted balcony view. All Superior Rooms are on ground floor and Standard rooms are on 1st floor which has balcony. Only difference is that bathroom in superior rooms are bigger than standard one. Hotel Staff and especially Manager - VIJ were very cooperative and humble. We asked for a standard room with beach view and they arranged for us. First day they invited us for a cocktail party though which we missed it. Complimentary champagne and fruit platter were served at the room. Being a veggie we weren't sure about the food but we had to admit that we hogged like anything...Food was amazing and par excellence. Everyday there was a themed buffet (dinner) like Mediterranean, Lebanese etc.. along with some entertainment. during our stay we aw sega dance, live band performance, belly dancing etc. Pool and beach were maintained very well. There were lot of water sports activities . another advantage was we were able to enjoy the facilities of sister hotel la pirouge. we had one of the best romantic dinner organised by the hotel along with a souvenir. Lastly would thank Mr. Vij who helped us in getting late checkout. Sugar beach was an over all a wonderful experience.
suggestion: free wifi was available in common area, it should be made available in the rooms as well.

Room Tip: for balcony view opt for standard room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PunitSinghi
Andrew S, General Manager at Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guests

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your honeymoon at Sugar Beach and have passed your compliments on to Vij, who assisted you throughout your stay.

It is pleasing to note that you liked all our themed buffets and that as vegetarians we were able to cater for your dietery requirements as well. Hope you will return again sometime soon.

Best regards

La Pirogue Resort & Spa
La Pirogue Resort & Spa
#2 of 17 in Flic En Flac
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,895 reviews

Been to Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!