“Shocking!”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Shocking!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited this hotel after a scenic day out for lunch and cocktails.
The entrance of the hotel is shocking - I actually asked if it was a 5 star hotel. Decor tired, water feature at the entrance was green. Gardens poorly maintained and generally very shabby looking. I have stayed at the Sofitel brand in Cairo and Bangkok and this one was simply not even close to a 3 star level.
Food was tasteless and poorly presented, service non existent. We ordered strawberry daquaries that arrived in Martini glasses and looked like an insipid, light pink watery liquid. The bartender argued that this was the cocktail that I ordered.
This property is in dire need of a maintenance overhaul...overpriced and shabby.

Room Tip: There are far better hotels to visit.
3 Thank Traveldelightbb
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on TripAdvisor.
We are sorry that your visit and our service were not up to your expectations. We did encounter a problem with the pond at the entrance and will not delve into intricate technical details and are now in the process of solving this problem.
We have forwarded your remarks to our Food & Beverage Team so they can take appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned .

Kind Regards

Jolanda Sadni Ziane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It takes around 30-45 min by taxi from the airport, depending on the traffic, but this hotel on the west side of the island is stunning. It is self-contained, which is good because the nearest village - Flic en Flac is a couple of kilometers away.Built in an open style, with seasoned wood beams and large overhangs to keep the sun off, the cooling sea breezes flow through the public rooms. At the rear are ponds with exotic fish swimming around but at the front is the sea - a huge beach several hundred yards long and about one hundred yards in front of the hotel. The intervening area is grassed with lots of coconut palm trees and tropical flowering shrubs. Loungers and canopied beds, along with large hammocks are set around in this area. The beach is white sand, with loungers sheltered by small palm leaf canopies. There is a reef a couple of hundred yards from the shore and the lagoon is therefore protected from strong waves and currents. It is very shallow and you could wade all the way to the reef. Snorkelling is good, although the lagoon is mostly dead coral and sea grass, but there are small outcrops of living coral, where a wondrous array of fish can be seen.
The hotel is low, only 3 stories high, and it stretches all along the beach and round the pools at the back. The only difficulty is that there are no lifts, so disabled guests should book a ground floor room. All rooms have a balcony or terrace. Our room was huge, with a vast king-sized bed, a spacious bathroom and a dressing room. The airconditioning seemed pretty ineffective but as it was winter it was not too hot.
There are four restaurants onsite, three of which are on the second floor. Fortunately my wife, who has difficulty climbing stairs was able to manage, which was good because the Chinese and Japanese (teppanyaki) restaurants were excellent. The main dining room serves a breakfast of amazing variety and at dinner there are themed buffets which are excellent too. There is also a seafood restaurant at the far end of the hotel. For lunch, there is a dedicated open thatched restaurant half way between the beach and the hotel. The pool directly in front of the main hotel building is wonderful, with loungers and parasols around.
The staff were fantastic. As soon as the receptionist saw that my wife had trouble climbing stairs she immediately changed our second floor room reservation for a ground floor one. All the other staff were excellent too. The hotel has a water sports centre and trips around the island are best done by one of the well-informed taxi drivers.
Smoking was not permitted in the rooms, but was OK on the balconies/terraces. Also round the pool, on the beach and outside the main restaurant and lunch restaurant. Nice to see some tolerance for once.

Room Tip: All rooms at the front have sea views, which are best from the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikemin
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor and your detailed description of our Resort which affords the reader a very good impression indded.

We are delighted to learn that your stay has been enjoyable and that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the dinners at the Chinese Restaurant and Japanese Teppanyaki tables.
I shall forward your appreciation to our "fantastic" Staff who will be all the more motivated to excel in their service to our valued Guests.

Thank you again for your wonderful review, we hope to have the honour of welcoming you soon again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

An exceptional exchange with the exercise room attendant: the room closes at 9pm, I showed up at 8pm and he was demonstratively unhappy to see me arrive. The room has two televisions, and the exercise cycles have no headphone jacks. When I asked to have the movie on screen 1 shown on screen 2, he accommodated me, but left the audio inaudible... I asked if he would turn up the volume to a level I could hear... He must have exceptionally good hearing, because he could hear it and refused to hand me the remote. Too loud? The glass doors close, but he wouldn't close them until I left. This was a very hostile and very deliberate and almost physically aggressive intentional confrontation. Hey guests, "go to hell."
I thought that was as bad as it would guess, then I had to call back to ask for the receipt they didn't email to me...
Incompetence in a sing-song voice is not pleasant service.
May we email you your receipt? Yes, thank you... Never came.
Follow-up request from a call placed in my time zone: never responded.
Set my alarm for 12:15am, the time I was told to contact their accounting office: not in.
Explained that I set my alarm and woke up to place this call.
Re-directed to reception who were able to retrieve my receipt (after all!)
It has been sent. Please respond back that you've received it.
10-15 minutes later, still no email.
Called back: the person who assisted you is away from the desk, can you call back in a little while?
Finally reach the person "helping" me. "OK, I'll send it now."
This is not good service...
Honestly, it's hard to believe these people make a living in the "hospitality" industry...

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank 1k_by_June
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having shared your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are very sorry that some services did not quite meet your expectations and would like to apologize to you for the poor customer service you experienced. We are investigating your complaints and shall take appropriate measures to prevent reoccurence.

Reiterating our thanks for your review and hoping to have the opportunity to better serve you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was big and nicely decorated. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the variety it offered, fresh fruits, pastries, pancakes, omeletes, fresh bread and coffee anything you can think of. We enjoyed mostly dinners. There was so much to choose from and everynight was a different theme. Our favorite was the Mauritian night, with all the local delicacies, lots of curry dishes and fresh flat bread, straight out of the oven. Another favorite night the "Seafood night" fresh fish and never have I eating so many sea urchins at once! I was in heaven.
We also tried all the water activities that are all free, like the glass bottom boat tour, paddling boats and boards. They had windsurfing board also but didn´t try that.
The absolute best trip we took was to the island of Benitez on a private tour ( about 200eur) with the boat "Sunny3". It was wonderful and highly recommend it. We started at 8am, we saw families of dolphins swimming in the ocean, then we went snorkeling in a beautiful reef and last to the natural Island of Benitez where we had a grilled lunch including Lobster. We had wine, rum and soft drinks. All this included on the price. You get to see Mauritius from the ocean and it was gorgeous! We got back around 3pm
We were on half board, so big breakfasts, big dinners and we got something light ( like a pizza or salad ) delivered to the beach from the bar everyday!
The staff was also very friendly and making sure we were ok and enjoying. " Everything ok madam?" We felt really pampered the whole time.
Anybody that complains are just being extremely "picky". We had a great stay, the kids enjoyed it a lot, and we parents got to relax, sipping on Pina Coladas on the beach with a great book.
You´ll never have to fight over beach chairs. There are plenty.
We will be back.
We´d like to say " hello!" to the lovely guy that brought our food to the beach everyday, always with a smile.

2 Thank travelandme_74
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you very much indeed for having taken the time to share your experience at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort.
We are delighted to learn that you loved your stay at our resort and enjoyed the room, facilites and the mealtime experiences.
We shall transmit your appreciations to our Staff who pampered you; they will be all the more motivated to excel in their service to our valued Guests.

Thank you again for your great review, we hope to have the honour of your visit again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am still at the hotel. I arrived a week ago and I will be staying 12 days more. After a week I believe I have collected sufficient experience. The hotel is pretty. I have used the restaurants, the pool, the gym the spa and water sports. All of them very good and very friendly staff. The location is good, very near to national parks and other landmarks.
The area reserved for swimming in front of the hotel is very small. After 20-25 m from the shore there is a line and beyond it, boats are anchored, windsurfers, sailing and motor boats, etc. navigate parallel to the shore in shallow waters. The edge of the reef is several hundred meters beyond. There are no fishes or coral that you can see swimming on your own without risking being hit by a boat. A motorboat from the hotel passed a few meters next to me yesterday. Even if they saw me, it is not pleasant and other tourists sailing in the hobie-cats have certainly not the same control. In addition, there is a strong north-south current these days. I have enjoyed the sea better in other hotels.
Coming back to the hotel, the room is very nice and we have a splendid sea view. It is very comfortable and there are sufficient and diverse TV channels. I have been placed in the first floor. Until yesterday there were a group of Chinese families accommodated in several rooms (at least 6) of the ground floor below me. They respected no rules, they were shouting all the time and going trough the garden from one room to another. They were hanging all the clothes at the terraces, which is not allowed and other unusual practices. It seems that the rules don’t apply to them and other customers have to live with it. I was told that the hotel is full and could not be moved to another area. I don’t have this impression because it is winter now and I don’t see the facilities crowded, which is by the way good to enjoy the hotel.
The wifi internet works only in the terrace, and not well, or in the common central areas, but not inside the room. There is no power outlet in the terrace and the light doesn’t work. I noticed it the first evening and they came to fix it the day after, but they left without fixing it. Since then, I am reporting this deficiency every day, to the cleaning lady, to the front desk, and other staff. They all call or report it to somebody but the light has not been fixed in a week. At 6:15 pm is dark and we have to stay in the terrace without light if we want to use internet.
A few other things didn’t work properly, like the teakettle but they have been fixed.
Yesterday, the toilet was clogged and after my son flushed it twice, the water spilled over the floor going into the clothing room next to it. The problem of the toilet was solved rather quickly, but I had to wait more than two hours until they came to soak the smelly water impregnating the cabinet and clean the room, even though it was in the morning hours. I asked several people and they all were very friendly and called someone from the room, but the services are not really efficient. I might have been unlucky, but I expect from a 5 stars hotel to solve these kind of problems more diligently and efficiently
I hope that the rest of my stay will be better, and if the hotel management reads the reviews, they may finally fix the light in the terrace one day. I will keep asking for it.

3 Thank Javier Y
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your opinion of our Hotel on TripAdvisor .
Upon reading your remarks, our Rooms Division Manager met with you.
As explained, the terrace lighting required a half day intervention due to a technical issue.
You have been moved to another room where you can enjoy the rest of your stay.
We apologize on behalf of the Mauritian family of 6 rooms (on a total of 191 rooms in the Hotel), who were so happy to spend holidays together that they forgot a bit the rest of the Hotel Guests.

We hope that you will enjoy the rest of your stay.

Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beautifull hotel, great location, excellent staff BUT.................. The FOOD is not even a 3 star. The school cafeteria has better food than the food in a lunch restaurant. Our travel agent recommended us to take a full board...... And I would not recommend it to anyone as it is a very limited choise of 2 dishes with no standards, no flavor. For a French brand to serve the food this poor quality is a SHAME........today my husband ordered a salad but he specified that he does not want a raw onions as he is allergic to it, so the chefs only removed it from pre-made salad. So be carefull!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way the breakfast is very good. So on that note if the hotel would revise the issue mentioned above could be real 5 star!!!! By the way the band that performed on Saturday with lead singer David and keyboard player Evans was beyond EXCELLENCE, A TRUE PROFESSIONALS, have no words to describe how good are these guys, 10 STARS to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room with sea view is great
3 Thank Victoria V
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.
We are so sorry that you have been disappointed with the quality of our lunch, please accept of apologies. Your remarks will be forwarded to our Chef who will work with his team to improve our offers at lunchtime.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the entertainment and shall transmit your appreciations to David.

We look forward to the pleasure of your visit again at our property and thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards

County Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

the hotel is set in beautiful grounds right on the beach in flic en flac. the Japanese garden is particularly tranquil and attractive. the breakfast staff are extremely helpful. Christine at the Boathouse is a credit to the hotel and our room was always very clean. our outlook was extremely attractive from the balcony and the beds were comfortable. lots of tv channels too...relevant ones!!
we had a few issues with the front desk and the kids club and I regret I felt the need to raise my voice to one member of staff on the front desk regarding kids club opening times. I was also informed by my taxi driver who telephoned and visited the hotel, to drop lost sunglasses off, that the hotel had no idea I was actually staying there. it took a number of requests to ensure extra water was left daily. The breakfast was ok and although the staff were fab the range and quality of food was not what would normally be expected of a 5 star hotel. the gym was excellent and the resident trainer was a really top guy. the pool was very nice and clean and we greatly appreciated the free water sports and made good use of them.
all things considered though, we would definitely return and be happy to do so.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank munster4ever
SofitelImperial, General Manager at Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you very much indeed for having shared your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location as well as most of the services.
We would like to apologise however, for the inconvenience you mentioned and encountered during your stay.
Your feedback which will be shared among our teams will certainly assist us in improving our service.

We look forward to your next visit and reiterate our thanks to you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flic En Flac
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
#3 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!